Published: 2014/01/14

STS9 Announce David Murphy’s Departure, Winter Tour Postponed

STS9 has parted ways with bassist David Murphy over 15 years after he co-founded the livetronica band. The group has also postponed a series of winter tour dates. The news was revealed today via a post on STS9’s website, which reads:

In life, the only constant is change. We try to embrace this in our music and in our lives and its in this spirit that we announce STS9 and bassist David Murphy are parting ways. We are postponing our upcoming winter tour dates through February. We’ll miss David and wish him the best on his journey ahead.

To our fans, we can’t thank you enough for your understanding and continuous support. We are thrilled for the future of STS9 and can’t wait to share it with you.

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you!

-Hunter, Jeffree, Phipps & Zach

Murph performed a DJ/live band set at Denver, CO’s The Armoury on Saturday. There is currently no word on when the rescheduled dates will be announced.

UPDATE:

David Murphy has released a statement regarding his departure from STS9:

It is with a very sad and heavy heart that I announce I am parting ways with STS9. While we have had an amazing experience together, our paths are taking us in different directions creatively and personally. My deepest apologies go out to all of our fans who have supported us through thick and thin. I will never be able to fully express my gratitude for everything y’all have given me. I wish STS9 the best and hope to see y’all down the road…I LOVE Y’all

Comments

C January 14, 2014, 20:49:52

Murph you are so fucking lame! What a bitch move

ron January 14, 2014, 20:59:57

Thanks for the amazing memories guys!!!

Morons January 14, 2014, 21:22:08

Wow this is shady as it gets. Sounds like David got fired from a band he founded. Winter dates postponed? Hey Zach bro put down the bong, those dates will be canceled Dave is your brother and is the sound with you. Nobody is there for Jeff or Dave, as the crowd numbers will show. Thanks Dave for the amazing memories and shows. Been a fan since 2000. This stinks of bogus. The Tabernacle was a ball. Hope cooler heads prevail, but seems like some egomaniac on that list called this shot. No comment from Dave is all you need to know along with the two mini paragraphs with no accolades for Dave. Bush league lynching of a great guy and musician.

Alex January 14, 2014, 21:22:15

I hope Murph’s health improves. Save your negative comments for phantasy tour peoples

Not his health January 14, 2014, 21:23:46

Dave is in remission and very healthy. This has zero to do with that.

Friend January 14, 2014, 21:32:22

Blessed is the vibe in the now! Lets give thanks for the music and experience shared. The ways of life do work out and we are all in it together whether we’re in a band or not we are in the universal band. Let the focus be on a higher intention. I love you all. Peace

youguysareallhosers January 14, 2014, 21:40:24

about time…their ticket price is higher than a broken record player at a rummage sale and you get the same effect . this band sucked anyways…... and crystal wraps are for total tool bags….. about time you kids sobered up from your swivel-jaw grinding escapades and realize these guys play their whole show on 4 beats and 2 notes… BORING!! ...... maybe a couple of you will even trade in your l-r-g gear for some actually flossing get-ups and get real jobs…

AJAY January 14, 2014, 21:41:28

Devastating news ! After a totally spiritual NYE in Atlanta. I have endured and experienced so many of life’s twists and turns with the cosmic beacons that call themselves STS9. The empty stage left space will NEVER be the same. I could speculate and disseminate my reasons of Murph’s departure, but I guess it would never bring him back…... We’ll miss you brother!
-totally bummed in Chattanooga, TN

James Williams January 14, 2014, 21:47:14

I can remember my first show so many years ago at the Georgia Theater. I have been to a show every tour since. Now that Im many years older with kids and so on I would live for those NYE runs and hooking up with old friends. I always hoped they would be around long enough for my children to enjoy but knew that it probably wouldnt happen. I am deeply saddened as they have been an inspiration for so many years. I wish them all the best in all their endevors. We will miss you Murph!

bryan January 14, 2014, 21:49:58

C, your a tool. Love to kick your ass.
MURPH best of luck.

bryan January 14, 2014, 22:04:04

Also to Zach, Hunter, Jeffree and Phipps, this shows your true character for not sticking by a brother. This will truly come back to bite you. Mark my words the band Won’t be the same.
As posted earlier your egos need a reality check.

SoundTribeSuckyTime January 14, 2014, 22:12:26

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooksrus January 14, 2014, 22:44:51

Wait I thought these dudes were pros? When pros have a big tour planned and someone quits or gets fired don’t they hire a sub or replace them and play the dates? Isn’t that what In sync or the backstreet boys or any other band like sts9 do?

Fir3opal January 14, 2014, 22:50:39

No disrespect from this fan. This is heartbreaking for the band and fans. no body should judge or assume anything. I hope the best for the future of tribe, You guys have influenced me personally for 10 years now and I wish Murph the best, and am looking forward to a reunion. Much love

Patrick Culpepper January 14, 2014, 23:06:26

This is some of the worst news I have ever heard. You guys have been such a huge part of my life ever since I began going to your shows when I was 15. I wish murph the best. I wish there was more info on what happened. I literally don’t know what to do, I hope everything works itself out. Best of luck to all the boys in sector 9 and murph.

Chris January 14, 2014, 23:10:16

Had been waiting since they announced the two day run in Aspen @Belly Up. Never been so pressed in my life to here the news I did today.

Negativityisforwanksters January 15, 2014, 00:18:33

@youguysareallhosers You clearly are incompetent and have no idea what you’re talking about. Get a life and find something better tondo than bash successful amazing musicians. LOSER. I will forever miss the lovely sounds that brought us all together in such an amazing way. So beautiful to share those lovely vibrations with you all!

youguysareallhosers January 15, 2014, 00:32:32

@negativityisforwankers these guys are not amazing musicians…. they play the easiest type of crap music that is out there, banked on retarded people high on x and made it big.. 100 other little soundcheck cover bands emerged and crapped all over jam music right after that and now half of bands in the “jam” scene are shitty and electronic…

Ben January 15, 2014, 02:01:27

These things happen with any band I hate to here it but give it some time and they will reunite thanks for all the good times fellas until next time much love and peace .

ZeechMaster January 15, 2014, 02:35:01

@youguysareallhosers hahah what’s your problem? Real original to be the know it all douche bag bashing people on a message board. You sir are an embarrassment.

GratefulDead January 15, 2014, 07:22:09

Murph was sts9 Sts9 was Murph with that said…sts9 is dunzo. Come up with a new name and find bars that have open mic nights.

Chad January 15, 2014, 09:16:44

Supposedly, Murph and Hunter got into it pretty bad after the NYE Run for Murph doing to much blow. New Years at the Tabernacle was my 20th show and saddens me to say it may be their last. Hopefully there will be a reunion but STS9 will not be STS9 without David Murphy. No one will replace him in true fans eyes. Murph may make it on his own for now but I believe the remaining four members are going to struggle with this change. Thanks for amazing memories I will never forget.

Chad January 15, 2014, 09:28:48

@youguysareallhosers I agree about Pretty Lights and Bassnectar and that lame shit but Tribe is instrumental and created their own genre of music. It’s not strictly “electronic” like you think. Don’t get on here and talk shit to a bunch of Tribe fans? But looks like it’s all about that Umphlove now.

Mike January 15, 2014, 10:11:43

Good for Murph. He’s a talented guy and can do MUCH better for himself.

Cap January 15, 2014, 10:54:54

Those of you hating on the other four guys based on nothing but your own assumptions about the reasons behind Murph’s departure might want to check yourselves. Murphy CHOSE to leave of his own accord to join a different band. Nobody’s kicking him out.

kelly January 15, 2014, 10:55:11

For all we know, maybe Murph was trying to turn STS9 into something it’s not. I trust the band knows whats best. Of course this is crushing news, absolutely heartbreaking. But maybe Murph has his own agenda that isn’t part of the STS9 agenda. It seems odd everyone is on board except Murph. He probably has his own vision, which he wants to take in a new direction. The grass is always greener right? I think he’s making a mistake, it will leave a scar on the band, and the fans, but hopefully this will open the door for new opportunity, especially for STS9. Whether they fired him or he left, maybe he needed to be let go. I have faith they will find another bassist, not a replacement, but a new member.

Zenguru January 15, 2014, 16:09:10

An upcoming band from Atlanta is almost as good as STS9. Check it out http://hlmusic.squarespace.com/music/

Shane January 15, 2014, 16:33:03

this isnt the first time a band has lost a great musician murph is awesome and will continue to make music his own way. most recently if anyone has heard of the band DOPAPOD this last tour they were playing with a new drummer and ya know what….. they kept the good vibes going and the new drummer fit in perfectly and brought some new fiya to the group. STS9 will be ok i bet they already have a few different bassists in mind for future dates.

@wooksrtools January 15, 2014, 17:55:41

Next up, Umphrey’s.

Carri January 16, 2014, 09:51:46

I’ve always been transcended by their music. From back in the day at a small club in SF, to a larger venues, like High Sierra Music Fest – and it’s never been drug induced. I get a lot from their music, and hope they will continue making wonderful sounds. And to David Murphy, I will look forward to what he’s doing, too.

Zeyman Freeman January 16, 2014, 15:57:54

Hey all I understand if you’re upset, but the one Tribe show I’ll never forget Murph was hanging out outside before the show meeting everyone. Out of my group I was the only one without a ticket to the sold-out show.. Murph not only gave me a ticket from his own pocket but got my group backstage passes, and he was the most friendly and talkative one! I hope the band and the new group are successful, I will always love the music. I hope STS9 remains one of the best livetronica bands and that Murph keeps rockin’ on. Nevermind the wooks, imitators and haters :)

Tom johnston January 16, 2014, 18:44:58

I was shocked to hear that murph is no longer a member of the band. I’ve been a big fan since 2001. I’m sure the facts regarding his departure will soon surface. If zac, hunter, Phipps, and Lerner are sticking together, it’s pretty obvious murph is the problem. His voice can never be replaced, but his bass can. Sts9 will continue to grow and inspire. Good luck murph. Has anyone heard of murph joining a band called Cherub???

hoserthinkshesfamilyheonlyknowscaseyjones January 16, 2014, 18:58:30

Bro you never saw jerry and shitty phish covers don’t do it for me!!! What you know about “jam”?

Dangit January 17, 2014, 10:28:53

Oh well, this band hasn’t sounded good in years anyhoot. Literally nodded off (standing) the last time I saw them.

John Onsecondthought January 19, 2014, 23:07:17

I could read all of these posts, waste a ton of time and energy out of my life to get wrapped up in some petty drama… On second thought, I’ll pass.

YouDon'tNeedToKnow January 20, 2014, 11:55:47

david is my cousin (forreal) and i accept every move he makes. dont hate him for something he couldnt have helped anyway. best of luck david!!!

Noodles January 21, 2014, 02:15:54

Maybe touring non stop v playing residency runs appeals to a person after so many roads … The Tribe played in the sands back in the day before smartphones when one needed word of mouth to find the lights in the middle of nowhere… and back to ‘The Sands’ murph goes…. As does the biz. Anyone under 35 buy music lately? Didn’t think so …

MarZaPhiGar January 22, 2014, 01:50:57

STS9 has been mailing it in for YEARS.

930 show January 22, 2014, 09:54:13

At a sold out 930 club show back in 2007 murph was walking around out front talking to people and i saw him hand out at least two tix to people with their fingers up. i didn’t get one from him but i still thought it was cool as shit he was doing it. not sure what sts9 will be w/o him. who will talk to the crowd and say “enjoy the show”??

Eileen January 24, 2014, 23:48:47

Check out my thoughts on Murp leaving and my NYE experience! http://m2the4th.blogspot.com/2014/01/sts9-david-murphy-nye-2014.html

funky1 January 30, 2014, 22:36:23

that’s too bad, i first got in to sts9 in 1999. They pretty much created a new genre of music in “livetronica” along with the new deal at the time. You don’t find many bands pushing the envelope and creating something completely new these days. The recent acoustic stuff was refreshing in going back to the roots and showing it was real and not just preprogrammed bs like a majority of the edm scene today.

real gangster February 19, 2014, 11:57:01

@youguysarealllosers why are you on this site, reading this article? Obviusly you are a fan of STS9, or why else are you on here? People don’t travel from site to site crapping on bands they hate, what a waste of time. I hate Bassnectar, but I don’t type his name into google and comment negatively on articles about his music. Why? It’s not worth my time. If you hate STS9 so much, why spend your breathe here? Ill-mannered, ignorant, angry people with low-self worth and self-esteem have tendencies to act in that way. Try to be a bigger man, or woman, whatever you are, and stay away from negatvity. You won’t find many friends here.