Published: 2014/01/16

Gregg Allman to Showcase New Solo Band on Upcoming DVD

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Gregg Allman performed at the The Grand Opera House in the Allman Brothers Band’s hometown of Macon, GA on Tuesday. The entire show was filmed for an upcoming DVD, and the crew also shot additional footage throughout the night. The concert featured a sit in from Allman’s son Devon, who also opened the night. Actor William Hurt—who will be playing Allman in a new film—was spotted at the event as well.

The forthcoming DVD will also document members of Allman’s new band, including bassist Ron Johnson (known for his work with the Warren Haynes Band and Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe), keyboardist Ben Stivers (who recently replaced longtime keyboardist Bruce Katz) and percussionist Marc QuiƱones (who is also a member of the Allman Brothers Band).

Comments

Clive Bigsby January 17, 2014, 09:09:45

Good for him.

Allman fan January 17, 2014, 17:08:01

Awesome news.Gregg has a very good band. I hope he takes them in to the studio with him.

Guy Smiley January 18, 2014, 12:30:09

Low Country Blues was great, so I look forward to another Gregg solo album (I wish he was still working with T-Bone Burnette though). Unfortunately, this sounds like it’s yet one more final nail in the ABB’s coffin. I wish I’d known, the last time they came to town (6-7 years ago?) that it would likely be the last, that they’d stop touring much (only a handful of dates the past few years, most of them at the Beacon), and that Warren and Derek would decide to leave. At the very least, I’m saddened that the ABB never cut another studio album with the current lineup. Hittin’ the Note was great, and very underrated. I would’ve liked more! As much as I like Gregg, Warren, and DTB/Tedeschi Trucks Band, I like them all best with ABB.

Gregg fan January 19, 2014, 16:56:18

I’m with you guy. It is a shame they didn’t put out another studio album with Derek on it. Maybe Gregg,butch and jaimoe will decide to continue with some new guitar players and cut another record

Lindy Reilly January 22, 2014, 20:18:41

EVOLVING, THRILLING, ARTISTRY in the making, Baby. I could bust with joy.

JB January 24, 2014, 15:39:29

or maybe they could just dump that cancer, Butch Trucks, and continue on w Warren, Derek, OR, whoever else they can pull back in (Jack Pearson, Chuck, Betts, Douchette, etc)...