Published: 2014/01/21

Furthur Keep Things Simple on First Night of Paradise Waits

Furthur kicked off their Paradise Waits resort festival last night at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya in Mexico. The event, which is slated to feature four performances from the band, will be the band’s final run of shows before they spend the rest of 2014 on hiatus.

Last night’s sets kept things simple, as the band stuck to the Grateful Dead repertoire that is their musical backbone. The show began with “Feels Like A Stranger,” which was followed a “Crazy Figners” that played into “China Cat Sunflower” and then “Cassidy” (notably absent: “I Know You Rider”). “Althea,” “Loose Lucy” and “Cosmic Charlie” then wrapped up the set.

The second set featured a continuous stream of music as “Help On The Way” played into “Slipknot” into “Let It Grow” (aka the Part 2 of the “Weather Report Suite”). “Eyes of the World” then moved into “Wharf Rat,” which became a reprise “Let It Grow” before jamming into “Playing in the Band.” Covers of Traffic’s “Dear Mr. Fantasy” and Wilson Pickett’s “In The Midnight Hour” then closed out the set before the band returned for a “Franklin’s Tower” encore.

Paradise Waits will continue tonight with another performance from Furthur. As previously reported, Phil Lesh will spend the rest of the year focusing on Phil Lesh and Friends, while Bob Weir will put his energy into RatDog. Both of those acts have now been confirmed for two nights at the upcoming Lockn’ Festival.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via our Box Scores section

Tuesday, January 21, 2014, Furthur, Paradise Waits, Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, Mexico

Set I: Feel Like A Stranger, Crazy Fingers > China Cat > Cassidy, Althea, Loose Lucy, Cosmic Charlie

Set II: Help on the Way > Slipknot > Let It Grow > Eyes Of The World > Wharf Rat > Let It Grow (reprise) > Slipknot Jam > Playing In The Band > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Midnight Hour

Enc: Franklin’s Tower

Source: Philzone.com

Comments

shroomdude2014 January 21, 2014, 16:33:25

Did Bob nod off or collapse yet?

pm January 21, 2014, 17:04:09

Pathetic, the most glorified cover band ever

mb January 21, 2014, 17:32:51

What does that even mean? How can you play your own songs and be considered a cover band? The few times I have seen Furthur, they were pretty good. I have musician friends who aren’t huge Deadheads and they think Furthur rocks harder than the Dead. The drummer is awesome and the vocals are better than Jerry and the boys at the end of their run. The covers are cool and they play plenty of stuff that Jerry didn’t want to play anymore. How is that “pathetic”?

Will January 21, 2014, 19:01:05

I am here and it is awesome. Vibes of band, staff and crowd are positive. 3 more to go!!! The best part is there will be no repeat tunes as the band is playing to the same exact audience for all four shows and I am stoked to be one of them!!!

pm??? January 21, 2014, 19:02:42

I’m with MB, how is it that Bob and Phil play songs they wrote, like music by Bob Weir, lyrics John P. Barlow for Cassidy and it’s considered a cover band? What crack pipe has PM been smoking. It can’t be GD, but i’d not consider it a cover band. If Phil and Bob weren’t in the mix, sure, but Phil and Bob are originals. Regardless, I got to see Furthur about 10 times over past 3-4 yrs, and can’t go back to 80s or 90s and see GD again, so can’t complain. And yes, I think Joe Russo nails it on the percussion. Chementi’s fairly awesome as well.

Walkin Blues January 21, 2014, 19:03:16

Almost 46 years after Neal Cassady died in Mexico. Furthur indeed.

912-8-7e-273-4 January 21, 2014, 21:46:05

pm is pathetic, does this on every thread. useless troll

Jerrysays January 22, 2014, 06:08:47

Sorry MB. If you don’t get why my vocals are better, you never will.

thunderbolt January 22, 2014, 09:41:55

Russo/Phil drive that band like no other

Todd E January 22, 2014, 10:14:17

Like them or not…and I’ve had some great times at some of their great shows…they are a Grateful Dead cover band.

brian lesh January 22, 2014, 10:18:19

PM smells like mothballs.

Lee N January 22, 2014, 14:27:39

That’s a silly way to look at it Todd E.

mike misewicz January 22, 2014, 16:33:16

Man..people truly suck.. I’ve seen furthur twenty times the grateful dead 50..these gomer that call original members of a band a cover band r pretty pathetic….I can’t name one single band that has played all their original music only..can you?? anyway! What the hell were they playing when they were learning..plus I saw the grateful dead cover a hundred or so songs that they were not responsible for writing…did that make them a cover band?? How bout the flipping all man brothers band?? They play a shitton of songs they didn’t write??? Cover band also…like a said people r stupid

mike misewicz January 22, 2014, 16:35:03

Yes..mothballs

mb January 22, 2014, 17:53:19

@jerry says. What kind of a megalomaniac presumes to speak for a dead genius? I love Jerry’s voice and I’m glad that he kept sing right up to the bitter end. If you can’t notice the change in his singing through the years than I can’t help you. I was mostly speaking about the addition of back-up singers anyway. The harmonies are much improved. What’s your point?

Space January 25, 2014, 22:08:43

Do you bust out past furthur recordings to listen? If you do, do you find yourself going to your dead collection after about 10-15 minutes to hear the real thing (w/Jerry) – thats why furthur doesn’t stand up to the dead, even though Bob and Phil are playing the music they originally created. I’ve seen them and they are fun to watch live – I even like some of the new arrangements – but ultimately, this town aint got no heart. – also just because someone has a different opinion doesnt make them a troll – free thought and opinion is what the whole thing is about stop being hypocrites…

Nicole willians January 27, 2014, 23:15:20

Just unfortunately moved to Houston tx n looking for a dead show

jkh January 30, 2014, 13:31:36

I have grown and evolved in the past 45 years of listening to the Dead, why would we want them to stay the same? Don’t live in the past, celebrate the past, live in the present. After all the chosen name further has that meaning. Line up Jerry on your youtube queue and enjoy remembering! Get yourself to a Further concert, the music never stopped. cheers, peace & love!