Published: 2014/01/21
by Juliana Wilson

Jungle Jam Continues with Sets from Slightly Stoopid, Karl Denson, G. Love and More

Attendance doubled on day three of Jungle Jam, as reggae-rock headliners Slightly Stoopid brought a diverse crowd—including local Costa Ricans, international surfers, and traveling tourists—to the venue. G. Love and Friends, Dastardly Bastards, a beachfront set with Max Creek, and another late night with Dopapod also rounded out the day’s lineup. In addition, the popular yoga sessions with instructor Andrea Morgan also featured live music by Brett Wilson (Roots of Creation) and Zach Deputy.

G. Love opened his set with a few solo that saw the performer take up guitar, harmonica and a traditional stomp box. The rest of the set featured a number of special guests, incuding soulful vocalist Nicki Bluhm and her bass player Steve Adams, as well as Eli Winderman (Dopapod) on keys for an eclectic version of The Allman Brothers’ “Statesboro Blues.” G. Love also brought out some friends he made while in Costa Rica, including djembe player Dan Bailey—a New York musician who happened to be in the right place at the right time.  Bailey joined in for “This Ain’t Living,” an older G. Love and Special Sauce song, and a newer track called “Nightlife.” Nikki Glaspie then jumped on the kit for a take on Marvin Gaye’s steamy single “Let’s Get it On,” while DJ Williams (Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe) scratched his guitar like a turntable during the crowd favorite “Who’s Got The Weed.”  The set closed with O.G. (Slightly Stoopid) joining G. Love for an incredible double harmonica solo on “Cold Beverage,” which also featured an epic freestyle from the frontman.

Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe—who were joined by Slightly Stoopid’s Dela on baritone sax and O.G. on percussion—brought the musical energy necessary to transport the audience out of this world. Denson switched from tenor sax to flute to play the melody of The White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army.” Slightly Stoopid’s Kyle, Dela and O.G. (who toured with Denson as part of an underground tribute to The Beastie Boys) then got on the microphone for“Sure Shot,” which once again featured some guitar scratching from Williams. The set then had a monstrous ending, as Zach Deputy took the stage to sing Ray Charles’s “I Got a Woman,” while Karl Denson mashed it up with Kanye West’s “Gold Digger.”
Headliners Slightly Stoopid opened their set with their popular new single “Don’t Stop.” Ian Neville sat in on guitar, while singers Kyle and Miles switched back and forth swapping guitar and bass. The set went from reggae rock to roots reggae when singer Don Carlos (Black Uhuru) came on stage for several songs, including “Ababajoni.”  G. Love then returned to the stage to join his Stoopid friends for a couple songs, including “Baby I Like It,” which included a funky solo from Neville.  Slightly Stoopid’s thunderous set finally came to a close—with DJ Williams back on guitar—with a cover Charles Wright’s “Express Yourself” as the crowd screamed for more.

Day three of Jungle Jam also featured set from the Dastardly Bastards, as well as Nikki Glaspie’s grunge funk power trio with Ian Neville and Andrew Block. The trio covered Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs,” and Kyle from Slightly Stoopid joined the group on vocals for Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name.”  That set also saw an appearance from Glaspie’s Dumpstaphunk badnmate Ivan Neville, who took up keys for a couple of tunes.

Comments

tryntoexpand January 22, 2014, 11:22:52

Although Slightly stoopid is waaaaaayyyyy overrated and are a 2014 wanna be sublime g.love is talented and it was creeks festival to start they have to expand etc. The line up looked good and it looked like everyone had a room not like Further’s festiva which looked like a clusterfuck!!

creekfan January 21, 2014, 21:11:37

I thought this thing was a creek festival. Is it not? Or are they just not getting the attention they deserve because of the beach ball pop bands like slightly stopped and g love.

scoot34 January 22, 2014, 01:52:01

@creekfan – beach ball pop bands? haha have you not ever seen either of them live? apparently not, they are both anything but. slightly stoopid especially has stepped their game up and have killed it musically the last 3 times i saw them. i think this festival looks pretty dope…good music in a tropical paradise.

MarZaPhiGar January 22, 2014, 06:42:15

Creeeeeeeeek started this thing a few years back, I believe…

look it up January 22, 2014, 09:43:42

Allman Bros did not write ‘Statesboro Blues’

Sarah January 22, 2014, 15:46:29

I personally think this lineup looks amazing and would LOVE to go to Costa Rica to see Slightly Stoopid, G. Love, and Karl Denson. They are all insanely talented musicians and far from “wanna-be’s” or “beach ball pop.” Not sure what those guys are listening to but they need to expand their horizons. Hopefully I can make it out next year!

DfoChillBroNaStopDude January 22, 2014, 15:56:04

Solid line-up in paradise. This sounds amazing. Not sure where this undeserved hate is coming from – Chill, bro. Na, stop, dude. Wish I was there. I’m hitting this up next year!

Sam January 22, 2014, 17:19:48

Sounds like a sick set, especially Dela with Karl Denson. Not to mention Ian Neville poppin in. Would love to see some vids of this

mary January 22, 2014, 18:52:54

Best time of my life! Slightly Stoopid killed it. They had Karl Denson, The Neville’s, G Love and Don Carlos sit in with them. Best show I’ve ever seen. @creekfan check it before you wreck it, Slightly Stoopid has been making great music for 15 years and are one of the best live shows I’ve ever seen.

Kev January 22, 2014, 21:05:25

Sure wish I could’ve made out to Costa Rica for this fest…. The line-up was amazing for anywhere, but to put it on in Costa Rica? Would have been a great vacation! I have seen Slightly Stoopid many times and they’ve NEVER disappointed! Karl Denson, G-Love, Don Carlos, Dumpstaphunk? I’m still kicking myself in the ass for missing out!

brett January 23, 2014, 00:01:11

damn wish i coulda made it!!!! love stoopid, g.love and karl denson!!! hopefully theres another one!

rick January 23, 2014, 10:03:14

oh my GOSH!!! sounds AMAZING!!! Stoopid has evolved since ive been listening to them.

Leslie January 23, 2014, 12:06:07

Sounds so dope! Love me some Slightly Stoopid and Karl Denson! Definitely hope they do this again next year!!

Mark January 23, 2014, 15:04:17

Other than Nikki Blum and slightly stoopid,all the other bands were jam bands that improvise,stooped and the gramblers just play out there studio versions and get on with the next song…yeah

Nick January 23, 2014, 17:09:07

So sick, Stoopid kills it everytime

Michael Littlejohn January 23, 2014, 23:19:15

I’ve seen video on youtube… With such a solid line up who could’ve been disappointed??? Slightly Stoopid always bring their A game!!! G. Love is one of the most under rated musicians out there!!! His stage presence and talent is remarkable!!! Karl Denson can toot his horn like no other!!! Amazing guy, with amazing talent!!! If you’ve never seen any of these artists live, put it on your bucket list!!! You will not be disappointed!!! #muchlove #letsgetstoopid

Amber N. January 24, 2014, 07:13:26

Slightly Stoopid, Karl Denson, G. Love and Costa Rica as a backdrop … sad I couldn’t make it but looking forward to Stoopids 2014 Spring Tour!! #LetsGetStoopid #StoopidHeads #EseLocos

Nick P. January 24, 2014, 15:18:16

wow, I would love to see slightly stoopid, karl denson and G. Love in costa rica. Thats one hell of a line up!

pepperluci January 24, 2014, 15:19:29

Slightly Stoopid, G. Love, Dumpstafunk, Karl D. Need I say more?? #eseloca

Lauren January 27, 2014, 12:03:32

Wanted to make Jungle Jam so bad but I couldn’t find anyone to travel with. Definitely regret not making it happen I wanted to see Karl Denson live pretty badly. Looking forward to Stoopid’s spring tour though! See you at Lupo’s in RI!

Lauren January 27, 2014, 12:03:33

Lauren January 27, 2014, 12:03:33

Lauren January 27, 2014, 12:03:34

Lauren January 27, 2014, 12:05:52

Really wish I made it out to this one but I couldn’t find anyone to travel with. I’ll definitely have to see Karl D. at some point. Can’t wait for Stoopid’s Spring Tour! See you at Lupo’s in RI

Trevor January 27, 2014, 13:22:18

So mad I missed this but I heard Stoopid and Karl killed it! Maybe next year…

Joy January 27, 2014, 13:29:51

Slightly Stoopid, Karl Denson & G. Love are awesome. I can’t wait to see more of them in the future.

Sabrina January 27, 2014, 14:23:28

Wish I could have gone to this, I wanted to see Slightly Stoopid, Karl Denson and G.Love!!

Robert February 13, 2014, 16:17:04

Great article. Sounds like it was such a fun show!!