Published: 2014/01/31

Trey Anastasio Picks Seattle to Win The Super Bowl

Trey Anastasio has picked the Seattle Seahawks to win this Sunday’s Super Bowl. As many of you know, NFL Films recently produced a documentary about the connection between Phish and the Seahawks, whose fans have started using the “Wilson” chant as way of honoring quarterback Russel Wilson.

During an interview with USA Today, Anastasio—who is a supporter of the New York Jets—was asked whether or not he is a Seahawks fan this weekend. The Phish guitarist responded:

I am. The other thing is that I’m a Seattle fan. We love playing in Seattle and love visiting. You know, I lived in Vermont for 25 years and I think that there’s been sort of a kinship between people who live in the northern corners of the country. You know what I mean? I love Seattle and we love playing at the Gorge. The other thing is that Russell Wilson played at Wisconsin, which is another big town for Phish. We sort of felt the kinship with them. We used to play the Barrymore Theater and it was at the Barrymore Theater that we met one of our managers who still works with Phish. There’s a history there too. But, yeah, Seattle’s going to win.

He continued:

They’re the best team this year. We love playing around Denver too — there’s a big Colorado connection — but the fact that [Seattle] started using the chant this year and it all came together so mysteriously — it was meant to be.

Much of the interview dealt with the story behind Seattle’s use of the “Wilson” chant during their home games. Anastasio explained that:

The funny thing is that the Phish audience came up with that chant on their own and it’s always been loud when they’ve done it. I guess it sort of crossed my mind last year when I was in Seattle. Russell Wilson was having such a great season and was so inspiring and I kind of said something at a concert and apparently people picked up on it.

Super Bowl XLVIII will take place at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ this Sunday at 6:30pm ET. The game will be broadcast on FOX.

Comments

me January 31, 2014, 19:09:51

Sorry Trey, the Stoner Bowl is going to the Denver Nugs, not the Seattle Green…

MarZaPhiGar February 1, 2014, 01:30:52

Just wait til Oregon legalizes (soon). The Nuggets getting lit up by the Blazers will take on a whole new meaning…The JETS???

Mata Hari February 1, 2014, 01:48:33

Trey picks his seat before he goes to the movies.

dk70 February 1, 2014, 09:05:28

I can’t wait to see what the sales tax revenue is for buds in CO and WA. Oregon is gonna be like whhhaaaat? Can you say “domino theory”.

Colorado Puffin Powder Pig February 1, 2014, 10:31:58

Sorry Trey it’s the year of the horse!
I do love to hear the crowd chant Wilson though!
The weed factor is also a cool coincidence.
But no…. Broncos from start to finish.

Joshua Kat February 1, 2014, 17:52:54

Really? What a surprise!

Ed February 2, 2014, 10:00:06

Who cares? I wonder who Jerry would pick in the Indy 500 this year? Oh wait, does Dave Schools think that Pamela Oliver is hot? Or does Dave Mathews have a Seahawks shot glass? Please

Skyjellyfetti February 2, 2014, 11:56:30

Its amazing how many negative people are on this site. I bet they are the same people that have love your mother stickers on their car at shows but leave the place full of trash. U negative people are the reason the Phish isnt like it used to be.

me February 2, 2014, 13:19:54

So… Jerry had NASCAR fans screaming BERTHA as the racers took the field? Yea, it really bothers me too…

meredith February 3, 2014, 02:03:10

And… it was OUR year!!! What an amazing game!!! I was at The Gorge and The TAB shows- and it really rallied “us” together. Thanks for the support Trey- and I must say, it truly has brought our “community” here in The Pacific Northwest together! There is an amazing thing going on right now- spiritually, in our community There is an exuberant amount of positive energy filling our state!. It is so wonderful to be a part of this!!!. Again… Thanks Trey (and Phish)- WIIIIILLLLSOOOONNNN!!!

me February 3, 2014, 11:38:43

WOW, did I get that one wrong… should have known better than to second guess the Jedi! Denver should have waited until after the Super Bowl to legalize weed, then maybe they wouldn’t have gotten smoked in the bowl yesterday.. badadum sphish %^)