Published: 2014/02/03

Trey Anastasio Band Debut Another Song in Kansas City

The Trey Anastasio Band debuted yet another new song during Friday night’s show at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City, MO. The new track—tentatively titled “Sometime After Sunset”—made its appearance in the middle of the second set. The band also reprised some of their other brand new tunes in Kansas City, including “Pulsing Days,” “Silver Smoke” and their cover of Ana Tijoux’s “1977.”

The Trey Anastasio Band also performed at The Pageant in St. Louis on Saturday night. The band will continue its tour tomorrow with a show at First Avenue in Minneapolis.

Here’s a look at Friday night’s setlist via our Box Scores page

Friday, January 31, 2014, Trey Anastasio Band, Uptown Theater, Kansas City, MO

Set I: Cayman Review, Magilla, Alaska, Valentine, Dark & Down, Pulsing Days, Gotta Jibboo, Frost, Burlap Sack and Pumps, Silver Smoke, 1977, Money, Love and Change

Set II: Pigtail, Bounce, Gone, Sand, Sometime after Sunset^, Architect, Greyhound Rising, Traveler, Scabbard, Clint Eastwood, Push On ‘Til the Day

Enc: Shine, Black Dog

Comments

Bob February 3, 2014, 15:57:44

He should spend more energy with Phish. TAB is a joke.

bj February 3, 2014, 16:17:50

just saw em on saturday and had a great time. bob you’re the joke.

eddy mame February 3, 2014, 16:29:56

I agree that Bob is the joke here. TAB in denver was awesome. I didn’t go into the shows expecting to hear phish songs and i had a great time. Trey killed it and the band was tight. The horn section was amazing. Maybe Bob should spend more energy focusing on Bob and being less of a douche.

me February 3, 2014, 17:02:15

Bob… I forgot, what’s the name of your band? I was thinking of seeing TAB but sounds like your band must fall somewhere closer to the level of Phish, so I think I’d like to check it out… oh, and let me know which one you are, so I can give you pointers on your musical chops after your set…

timmy February 3, 2014, 17:14:37

Bob’s two favorite bands are Phish and DMB, so whenever they try to branch out and play anything out of his comfort zone he is threatened.

Zachary Cohen February 3, 2014, 18:53:23

im the only joke around here

Trey February 3, 2014, 19:17:53

I should spend more time on phish…

Tripp February 3, 2014, 19:39:40

Bob must be 19-24. TAB is more entertaining IF you like Trey’s guitar mixed with a rock n roll horn section. But if you like Fishman and Gordon’s acapello chorus…go see Phish.

bob February 3, 2014, 22:14:20

TAB is lame and Phish has become weak They need to focus and get there shit back together again

tele-mon February 4, 2014, 04:26:41

Bob didn’t find a ticket. Sucks for Bob! Those of us that were ‘there’ at the Ogden, were completely in focus, ‘cause TAB has had ‘their’ shit together for years now! Go jump on the Umph bandwagon, Bob…

G February 4, 2014, 08:59:26

Bob you’re a fool or troll or both, take your pick.
TAB rules!

Tab February 4, 2014, 09:26:32

I’ve seen about 170 Phish shows and 20 Tab shows. I won’t even pay to see TAB if they are in my hometown anymore. Its so stale, but its certainly better than Wingsuit. Most music put out by Trey in his career is so I guess comparing Tab to the ultimate bottom of the barrel Phish tunes like Wombat isn’t fair to Tony Markelis. I love Trey and his bands, but prefer if he put together something not as embarassing as Wingsuit for an album before touring with TAB. Perhaps these new tunes will eradicate many of the Wingsuit songs and we will never here them again? Every head I know would like that for certain.

bobs right February 4, 2014, 09:31:20

Leave Bob alone, he shares the opinion of many long time fans I know. That is fine, I also know Kool Aid drinking fans that are old time fans like us who have to like Wingsuit or it violates their trip to AC or their worship of their favorite band. In reality, I hold Trey and Phish to a higher standard. Trey flubbed almost every Slave in 2013, almost every Theme etc. I’m not cool with Trey just abandoning and missing composed parts of tunes, and the Tahoe Tweezer and Reading DWD are great but hardly make up for it. Thats like saying 03 was fine because of 2/28/03 and 04 was the shit because of the SPAC Piper. It’s not reality, but people said that those jams and show were the best ever at that time until reality set in. Is anybody surprised that Gordon reinforced that the album played on Halloween isn’t going to be their album? I bet about 3 or 4 of the tunes make the album from AC the rest should be handed down to college jambands in America to use like the Salvation Army.

me February 4, 2014, 09:54:30

I’ve got another question for you haters of the current/new Phish songs/flubs… will you still be buying tickets this year? I mean, you know they are going to play the songs from their new album, so if you are really against it, as well as Trey flubbing songs (btw… Trey flubbing songs has been a part of Phish since they started… I ‘ve seen a few shows over the years where Trey stopped the song and started over… can’t get much “flubbier” than that), then I would think you would stay away from the shows. Seems to me that if you are going to still buy tix, then you really don’t get the meaning of “drinking the Kool-aid”... See, that suggests that the kool-aid drinker is being tricked… those of us who like the new stuff (or some of it) and who understand that the band is 4 guys, not 4 robots, go to the shows knowing what is possible (warts and all), but if you still shell out your hard earned money for something you continuously bitch about, well… I hope you at least get the flavor you like!

ben February 4, 2014, 10:34:57

Why do people keep mispelling fish?

question February 4, 2014, 12:02:26

I ‘ve seen a few shows over the years where Trey stopped the song and started over… can’t get much “flubbier” than that) Can you let me know all these shows besides Hampton 03 yem? I swear since 1993 the only time I have witnessed a full restart of a Phish song is YEM at Hampton 03. I don’t believe this has happened a few times, but I only started listening in 1993. So you are saying Flubs like Trey displays in the MSG PYITE have always been a part of Phish? Are you out of your mind? Listen to ANY punch from even 2000 and never did they train wreck like that. I almost wish they just aborted the whole song at MSG didn’t you? Or did you not even notice because your Abe Vigoda mask covered your ears? 2013 type flubs though you are correct are a part of Phish, 2003-2004 Phish. So you do have that part nailed down. Now if you can accept that a song like Wombat is total garbage you may feel better.

Cleeet February 4, 2014, 12:10:32

Phish fan since September 1985, when I first saw them in my/our living room, then Slade Hall at UVM. 2013 was the best and most consistent year of Phish since at least 1998, before “the troubles.” Whether or not you like the Wingsuit songs, that 2013 was a very solid year is beyond dispute. Where are all these botched Slaves? I saw several last year and they were eloquent and spot on. Focusing on the botched PYITE from MSG, the only song messed up in 4 nights, is beyond laughable. As always, MORE ROOM FOR ME TO DANCE.

Cleeet February 4, 2014, 12:12:19

There was one other full restart, at Coventry, when what was left of Trey started Curtain With encore in the wrong key. My favorite restart was Trey with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. He had to restart TTE because he forgot to change to the guitar tuned to the right key. 70 classical musicians can’t transpose on the fly!

me February 4, 2014, 12:46:06

Thanks Cleet… @question… no, off the top of my head I cannot name another by date at this moment, but trust me they are out there… if I have some time, I’ll try to dig them up for you… FWIW, I’ve been seeing them since 12/4/91… BTW, your Abe Vigoda joke was weaker than theirs! But, really what does it matter that you don’t like Wombat, yet I do? Exactly how does that change anything? I don’t like “Let it Lie” maybe you do? To be honest, I haven’t listened to the PYITE flub, didn’t watch 12/28 or 29… and only attended 12/30 and 31. While you can knitpick my words all you want, Phish has had flubs in songs since day 1… I’m not going to split hairs about which year the flubs were worse than others(a flub is a flub in my book, I don’t rank them by year)... I love my wife, but should I rag on her every time she burns toast? This thing called Phish, to me, is awesome… I’ll take the flubs (don’t like them but fuckin’ A, are you perfect? I’m not). You’ve been seeing them since 93, well, then I’m guessing you are older and your life has changed since watching Trey and Carlos shred @ Stowe (fucking traffic sucked going through those mountains)... if you’re still living the life you did in 93, then my guess is that things aren’t going really well for you… people change, bands grow and head in different directions (well, AC/DC not so much). You don’t have to like it, and I’m not trying to convince you but, if you were around when the news came down in 2004, then you had to be bummed… even after what you had to witness go down the previous 2 years… take a break, regroup but please don’t stop… that was the general consensus. To suggest this past year was anything like 02-03 is just foolish… as is hoping you’re ever going to get perfection from a band heading into their 50s. It just doesn’t work that way, especially when you consider the complexity of much of their catalog. Doesn’t mean it will be crap, just that, like your life, lots has changed since 1993 (which, btw, was my favorite year of hearing this band) and that will affect stage performance, like it or not. I won’t ever expect flubs, but I won’t ever crucify them for it either! If I have to hear one song fucked up out of 24 in a night, I’ll deal with it and enjoy the hell out of the other 2 hours and 20 minutes…

Bobb February 18, 2014, 12:35:38

@question I attended a “re-start” show (7/22/03) at Deer Creek. They restarted Magilla. Just FYI