Published: 2014/02/07

Bob Weir and Bruce Hornsby to Tour Together in the Fall

Bob Weir and Bruce Hornsby will hit the road together this fall. Hornsby told accessAtlanta, “I’m doing two tours this year. With Pat Metheny, I’m going to open for him and he’s going to play with me. That’s July-August. Then September-October Bob Weir and I will head out, which we’ve done a few times…”

Hornsby also told an audience at his November 15, 2013 solo performance in Ithaca, NY, “for those interested Bobby Weir and I will be playing on tour next fall, just the two of us, like you see here.”

Apparently the upcoming fall shows will be billed as “Bob Weir & Bruce Hornsby Alone And Together,” just like the pair’s March 2012 shows at the Fox Theater in Oakland. However, no official details on the outing have been released at this time.

Comments

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!!!! February 7, 2014, 11:19:14

I don’t know why hornsby does this to himself…. weir is a mess…. seen this 3 times now and every time hornsby kills it and weir sucks donkey balls…. the worst is when hornsby’s set is before weir’s sleeper set… horrible solo on the guitar and forgets all the words to his songs….. no wonder phil stopped playing with him…. if only we could get phil and bruce together….

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!!!! February 7, 2014, 11:22:27

furthermore, weir can’t play one hornsby song at all so they are forced into all washed up sloppy dead tunes all set on their “together” work….. Bring on the Noisemakers bruce!!! those guys sick as fuck

Stop Bob bashing February 7, 2014, 12:10:50

Why do we always need to bash Bob? Are you having a contest to see if you are the one to push him over the top for good? Do you get some secret joy in putting him down? Sure he is no Jerry on stage, sure Bruce is world class but he is our Bob and has given his life for our scene. Show a little class and share some of the Deadhead love that we claim to love and shower others with.

Sorry February 7, 2014, 12:15:36

Sorry to be another downer. I saw this duo before and Bob was really a mess. However, I think it was lack of practice among the two and look forward to seeing this and hope it is better than previous performances.

wook February 7, 2014, 12:18:45

Positive vibrations ! Ty Bobby! All my love!!!

wook February 7, 2014, 12:21:39

Positive vibrations ! Ty Bobby! All my love!!!

Bruuuuce February 7, 2014, 12:23:34

Bob is in better shape this year than last, which isn’t saying much. Hornsby is a real professional. He can straighten the path on choppy segments if Bob has a Teleprompter and isn’t trying to slow the tunes to a crawl and add jazz scit scat lyrics. I certainly would be cautiously optimistic about seeing these guys if they do a 20-30 show run. Weir said he wants 100 shows this year at least.

Bruce and bob February 7, 2014, 12:41:40

Bruce wouldn’t be playing with bob weir if it didn’t appeal to him in some musical way. I also don’t think we would still be hearing about bruce Hornsby if he hadn’t played with the dead. He is an incredible musician with incredible songs but the longevity bob weir and his “old” band have given to countless musicians is undeniable. Leave the old man alone, let him play his music, and let people who love this music enjoy it.

Bob and bruce February 7, 2014, 12:44:25

I will admit the shows I saw [bob bruce banford] shows at l good, gotv definitely could of used extra rehearsal.

Jerad February 7, 2014, 12:55:24

Red rocks

Iggy February 7, 2014, 12:56:07

Heres a crazy thought tellsemlikeIsmellsem…not enjoying a performer anymore? Why not you be the one to retire and find someone else to see? Instead of going multiple times just so you can bitch about it online like a whiny old woman? Crazy thought I know. I tells em like i smells em too.

Bruce is my Homeboy February 7, 2014, 13:10:16

Hey iggy, here’s a crazy thought. Maybe people are sharing that Bobby sucks so others don’t waste money avd maybe Hornsby will play with better musicians.

iggy February 7, 2014, 13:24:09

Whatever Bruce is my homeboy, people are just beating a stale topic that has been pounded into the earth for years. You honestly think people are buying tickets to Bob at this point having no idea how he sounds?Hornsby is going to play with who he wants to play with. Im pretty sure grumpy old people bitching in the comments section isn’t going to affect his future plans.

Grateful Dill February 7, 2014, 13:41:18

Like Bobby says STFU. If you are tired of Weir quit going. Weir everywhere. Bobby is the last beacon of joy.

Stewy February 7, 2014, 13:44:45

I’ve always appreciated the music, the talent, the energy and the sense of humor of Bob Weir. Even when he forgets the lyrics. Maybe even ESPECIALLY when he forgets the lyrics. Bob Weir is an American treasure who is loved the world over.

Grateful Dad February 7, 2014, 14:52:09

If you don’t like Bobby, then don’t go see him! I can’t wait for both Ratdog shows in Boston in 2 weeks and I hope they do the Gathering of the Vibes as well. To be honest, I was disappointed he’s wasting time touring with Hornsby.

mr. bauld. February 7, 2014, 15:20:17

can bob just check into rehab and be done with it?

soul Stu February 7, 2014, 15:47:32

Honestly, Mr. Bauld, I heard that Bobby did check in to rehab, possibly with a little coercion, after his onstage fall at the Cap. I hope these shows go well and the fans enjoy them. Most of the Phil shows, that I’ve personally seen over the past 2 years, did more for me than the Furthur shows I saw, but that’s not a blanket statement writing off the ol’ Bob-dog. I’m glad he’s still truckin’ and Ratdog fans are happy to get some dates, and I hope those fans have a blast, though I’ll be saving my $$$ for Phil’s Cap run, even though with prices he’s charging I may not be able to hit as many as I’d like to. TellsemSmellsem, I understand your pain, you gave this project 3 chances and each time bobby dropped ball on you, that happened to me with furthur some, so I just held out for Phil and Friends. Either way, I respect how, for better or worse, bobby’s deadicated enough to go out there and keep doing it.

Joe February 7, 2014, 16:27:53

I saw them at GOTV and I thought it was pretty good show. I heard it was better then the All Good show that was the day before. They just need practice, Bobby has still got it, maybe not every night but he has still got it.

DarkStar February 7, 2014, 16:30:58

Man you guys I heard he went to rehap but im not sure if it was physical rehab for his surgery or the other kind you all were alluding to. Either way bobby is looking really healthy and is playing top knotch, listen to the mexico shows they were great! I guess some people will always be haters no matter what. Even with fantastic music before them from their own hangups. Bobbys mishap was last year hes been struggling w a messed up shoulder but he had the surgery and is back! Im w grateful dad I was kind of disappointed hes playjng w Hornsby, I love him but just them two solo and together like before was meh, I mean it was great but I was hopin ratdog would come out west. There are so many other projects bobby has done thatd id be more interested in, that said if they come near me ill be goin without a doubt. But I wouldnt travel like I would for other bobby projects. Oh if your gonna talk smack, know what you talkin bout, but I guess this is the jnternet and people troll to look for mean and ignorant things to say. I guess thats how things are, bug I dont hsve to like it. Anyways im just happy bobbys back since hes been out of it for recouping, anxious for him to take his flying saucer out (TRI studios) and whatever else he does this year…. love ya bobby!

me February 7, 2014, 17:34:09

Not a big Dead fan, but I am a big Phish fan… I think it’s really sad that there is so much hate directed at those musicians that so many claim to love… Jerry was a mess several times in his life, from my perspective it was pretty ugly toward the end… I can’t help but wonder if the same amount of hate was spread in his direction toward the end, based on comments above it would seem he would have been bashed too. I also wonder how many who were bashing him in the spring/summer of 95, were crying when they got the news on 8/9? Granted, the internet was not what it is today… but while I realize that there’s no place for hyping up someone who is not up to par, should you hate on that person as much as is directed towards Phish/Bob/whomever? Just remember, everyone reaches an end and it’s never a graceful exit… bash him today, then claim to love him the day he’s gone… just sayin’...

leen February 7, 2014, 17:34:40

Bobby/Phil Bobby/Bruce Bobby/Rat Phil & Friends… all have had great/good/ok/lousy shows.. depends on which one you saw.. reminds me of another band I used to follow..The Grateful Dead..

Youshouldbethankinghim February 7, 2014, 17:56:10

Sooooo, once upon a time I wAs backstage hanging out with Bruce. We chatted it up and eventually I thanked him for his contribution to my musical experiences and for playing on that particular tour. (Bob weir was on stage performing while we were talking). To that Bruce replied, “don’t thank me, thank him.” While pointing at the stage. I love Bruce. I love Bob. Bruce and Bob love each other. Seems to be working out pretty well with all this love going around. Cheers!

peakshead February 7, 2014, 18:48:13

Are any of you posters 66 years old? Have any of you been doing the same thing for, say, forty-nine years? If so, please share your thoughts on how things are going with your hobby/profession. If not, cut THE FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD some slack, at least. Cooperstown 2013. Gloria rap. ‘Nuff said. Bobby, Phil, Billy, and Mickey can do whatever they want in 2014 and 2015 and they deserve all our love and thanks, and pretty much any musician advertised on this website owe these four gentlemen a debt of gratitude.

peakshead February 7, 2014, 18:48:14

don February 7, 2014, 21:48:06

I saw Bob with furthur at the greek last fall as well as an acoustic set in Tucson months before and he was fantastic, his voice sounded strong and full of character. No regrets driving out to LA at all. Im a head but I took a friend who wasnt a jamband fan and he loved the concert.. I love Bobcat, screw you haters, dont go seem, its a choice

wisdkstar February 8, 2014, 00:29:31

I saw Bobby last year acoustic tour and it was great!!
not sure why all the bobby haters! He brings the songs we love and maybe they are not the Grateful Dead..he is Bob Weir and 1/2 of the original stuff was him and Barlow so he deserves a pass forever, lus he brought TriStudios.com which is awesome!!

John C February 8, 2014, 06:01:09

An alternative more proper way to approach this.
Bobby is playing a lot of very good music at TRI Studios, with Further, Ratdog. His keyboard player Jeff Chimenti and he are tight. Chimenti would not be the draw that a Hornsby woul be as a headliner. Maybe it’s the Chemistry between Bruce and Bobby and not one or the other.
Warren Haynes is one of my favorite musicians and I find him not to be right for some Dead moments also. But in the post Jerry era, I appreciate that there are so many musicians keeping the tunes alive.

gypsydavey February 8, 2014, 10:38:22

Bobby’s not the only one who’s forgotten lines, and we all certainly forgave that other guy. All you haters should stay home and save the tickets for those of us who want to be there.

Mick D February 9, 2014, 11:21:35

It used to be funny and cute when Weir forgot the words. Now, I feel sorry for his ass. He needs to stay home and turn the cameras off. He’s been riding Jerry’s coattails far too long. I play better guitar than Weir and I stink.

shaunita February 9, 2014, 16:24:59

Is this like yelling at one’s Grandpa. This family Love’s Bob, and how can we judge? After 2700 shows please give this man a break. As if none of us have ever been to a Detox… Jerry will be angry if you don’t respect our man Bob. And he is watching.

Daniel Besecker February 10, 2014, 00:59:09

My first experience with any of the Grateful Dead Members was Bobby and the Midnights at the Tower in Phila. in 1977-78, from then on I’ve been at as many shows as possible. He was always good mostly hot; Never came home dissatisfied, with any shows,Jerry’s Phil’s,and Bruces. I love the small venue mostly,though in the early days when there were no seating up front, being up there was great! Bobby bashers listen to yourself….what are you 20 years old?? Look what Bob has given to music,,,now TRI Studio. You bashers are still wet behind the ears!!!! By the way I will be at the Tower Feb, 14 and 15th for the tour start!!! Can’t wait! signed, a 37 year old Deadhead!!

Kenny k February 11, 2014, 03:55:21

Bob weir is a true American rockstar, he’s allowed to do what ever he wants. All u bobby bashers need to just
Bounce. I’ll take a wasted booby over a sober trey anyday!!!

ron February 12, 2014, 05:06:51

I hope this mean Bruce is going to play with the Dead next year!
He’s such a talent.

David Linton February 12, 2014, 10:51:06

I have been going to GD related shows since 1974. Some have been train wrecks ,others magic! I have not heard a GD related show in some 2 years but keep up with what is up online! Weir and all have the possibility of setting the place on fire or nodding you off! It has always been about the possibility of magic going down! The fact is that age and age related wear and tear may be what is going on? I am going to Milwaukee in March in search for a little magic, or nostalgia! We will see! And you haters, get a life!

mb February 13, 2014, 20:57:46

Bob was 17 years old when the Grateful Dead began its run. He’s been in the middle of mind-warping madness for nigh on 50 years. I’ve always admired his take on life. I’ll permit him his eccentricities. He’s responsible for roughly half of the Grateful Dead cannon. Can’t play lead to save his ass but always seems to find his voice in the mix. More Tyner than Townshend. Bruce is playing with him because, like many of us, he probably had his mind blown by the Grateful Dead. Enough said.

Brian Q February 14, 2014, 12:36:37

I think everyone needs to get a grip. I’ve seen Bobby play great and I’ve seen him lay an egg on stage. But never for a second have I thought that my negative review of Bobby’s performance would mean a thing to him. Bobby is awesome and I’m sure he knows sometimes he sucks. I’m also sure he couldn’t care less what anyone says about him. After 50 years, some criticism won’t “push him over the edge.” Jeez.

Betsy Ross February 14, 2014, 15:52:58

If you dislike an artist as much as some you have stated, don’t go to the shows and save your bitterness for something that really deserves it.

JOe February 15, 2014, 18:27:42

CANT WAIT
BRING IT OUT WEST COAST

BlainX May 31, 2014, 17:55:16

This is better than Ratdog and Phil and Friends and Hart – Planet Drums is a joke. This is the only Dead I’d be interested in seeing, other than Dark Star.