Published: 2014/02/08

Jimmy Fallon and The Muppets Honor The Band During Late Night Farewell

The Muppets helped Jimmy Fallon say goodbye to Late Night yesterday with a rousing renditon The Band’s classic “The Weight.” Fallon-who will taking over for Jay Leno on The Tonight Show on February 17—fills Levon Helm’s shoes for the tune, which also features vocal contributions from Kermit, Miss Piggy and other members of The Muppets crew.

As previously reported, U2 will be Fallon’s first guests when he takes over The Tonight Show on February 17. The episode will air following the broadcast of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Comments

Clive Bigsby February 9, 2014, 00:36:28

An amazing end to Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, he will do Johnny Carson proud!

mime out February 9, 2014, 10:42:45

Sounds great! Probably because its pre-recorded. Might as well be Johnny Carson playing the track. The drum track we are hearing is not from Jimmy and probably not his vocals either. Given that he is played with Muppets on a wire, its fair to the say the track is not live at all. However, in the recent events of Super Bowl air guitar extreme, this is nothing. At least Muppets are transparent but why must we be subject to band karaoke for entertainment purposes (for the safety of production)? At least they appear to plug in the microphone to give the audience a little credit.

Peachhead February 9, 2014, 11:33:59

Lighten up mine, it’s just for fun

mime out February 9, 2014, 11:49:17

I remember a time when music still had integrity. What is annoying is that I like Muppets, RHCP and The Band (Jimmy is OK) but its all becoming a bit much. For a website that cherishes the live band experience, I would think some others feel the same. I’d rather be entertained with honesty (even if it were to sound crappy). Time to listen to some Trane…

I agree February 9, 2014, 13:56:33

with mime….but he gives Jimmy and the Muppets than I ever would.

correction... February 9, 2014, 14:36:41

meant to say above “gives Jimmy and the Muppets more credit…”

jlinkon February 9, 2014, 15:36:16

I love that song!

Skydog February 9, 2014, 16:41:42

You gotta lighten up, Mime. I agree that music has lost its integrity, but we’re talking about a late night host and a bunch of muppets. Nobody had an expectation that this would be a live performance, unlike the RHCPs at the Super Bowl. When professional musicians don’t perform live it’s disappointing, but this was just a joke.

Flea February 10, 2014, 14:13:15

We had to pre-record guitars & drums. Only vocals were live. This is a condition for all performers at the Super Bowl.

Uncle Eb February 10, 2014, 18:43:26

Wait a minute….. Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem aren’t playing the music? WTF?! The integrity in music is gone, man. Gone.

Mime out February 10, 2014, 19:01:14

I don’t think it was a joke. I take my Muppetts seriously man and may great acts have played live with them over the years. They bothered to set up vintage gear like Levon Helm. Levon was a legend and he recently passed. You think cancer is a joke? Either do it right or don’t do it, Levon was always stellar live act so don’t disrespect him. Electric Mayhem was great but Jimmy was trying to fool us though. Some people will actually say “wow, Jimmy sounded good!”. Its just a big lie

dk70 February 14, 2014, 14:07:30

Dude! He played with Muppets! Dr. Teeth and Animal lack the proper opposable digits to perform in a live setting.