Published: 2014/02/28

Les Claypool Stages Mini-Oysterhead Reunion at Secret Brooklyn Show

Les Claypool brought his Duo de Twang project to the Rod and Gun Club in Brooklyn last night. The “secret” show sandwiched in between two shows at New York’s McKittrick Hotel featured a mini-Oysterhead reunion along with other special guests.

The show began, however, with Puddles the Clown, who introduced the band following a version of “The National Anthem.” The group then broke into tunes such as “Buzzards of Green Hill,” “Amos Moses” and “Jerry Was a Race Car Driver,” among others, before Puddles made another appearance on “Stayin’ Alive.”

Following “Boonville Stomp,” Police drummer Stewart Copeland joined the Duo for two songs—“Battle of New Orleans” and “Pipeline.” Copeland and Claypool served as two-thirds of popular supergroup Oysterhead along with Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio.

To close the set, Blues Traveler’s John Popper joined Claypool on stage for “Cocaine Blues” and “D’s Diner” before the duo capped off the set with a version of “Beaver” sans guests. “Iowan Gal” and “Man in a Box” filled up the encore. Claypool’s Duo de Twang will play tonight at The Heath at the McKittrick Hotel.

Comments

map February 28, 2014, 18:14:54

Article title is misleading. Should read that Stewart Copeland sat in with him. An Oysterhead reunion implies that Trey was there as well. Mini makes you think they only played a song or two

Idiot February 28, 2014, 19:19:35

Thank you map. I was freaking out about that title. I didn’t read the whole article to find out the whole truth. Your clarification really helped me throught this issue. To be clear, Trey was NOT in Brooklyn last night?

BeeFudd February 28, 2014, 20:02:06

I dunno, I didn’t expect it to be all three guys, based on the headline. Much as I like to bash the writing here, I can’t agree with the previous posters that I expected a FULL reunion; a “mini reunion”, based on the band’s format, in my mind, and based on JB.com writing, meant one of the two showed up….and it was just a matter of who. I was hoping Trey, but expected Copeland. Either way, it’s still cool and hope tapes surface. I give the writer a pass on this one, I do not feel deceived by the headline.

TennJed March 1, 2014, 02:24:08

Thanl God you gave them a pass!!

Kidman Zeale March 1, 2014, 06:19:44

It was not any sort of “reunion.” And I saw Oysterhead at The Greek in Berkeley. They were not “popular” and the show was a song by song rendition of their album. Read: lame with no jamming. That is why it was short-lived.

map March 1, 2014, 09:47:03

Oysterhead was awesome. I saw them in Utica, Lowell, and at the Roseland. They had some real cool songs and the energy and show experience was excellent.

solargarlic March 1, 2014, 10:26:07

wow. of all the comments, no one mentioned the music, just the writing. like to here popper with this. c how I spelled hear wrong?

BeeFudd March 1, 2014, 12:49:18

Yes Tenn Jed, “Thanl God” indeed. How about the next time you try to insult someone, you learn how to spell? Nice try, asshat.

Arthur March 1, 2014, 16:17:58

This was at the mckittrick hotel not in brooklyn

Michael March 1, 2014, 16:44:10

You muthafuggers just need to get a god damn life. Surrisly.

BeeFudd March 1, 2014, 22:35:25

Hey 10Jed, no witty retort? Hopefully you’ve gone back to your 4th grade notes to find out how to spell…I’d be happy to meet you face-to-face at a show and we can “talk.” Seems like you like to take a lot of photos…care to take a few of me shoving my foot up your ass???

ron March 1, 2014, 22:35:36

This is probably a clue oysterhead will be coming back soon.

lvl_lvl March 3, 2014, 10:22:48

You can’t call it an oysterhead reunion if trey was not there, and they didn’t play any oysterhead songs. but anyway, I hope this is hinting that oysterhead is coming back

dankerator March 4, 2014, 09:54:53

most overrated band oysterhead was / is really overrated!! U wanna see a supa group try chickenfoot!! Or moistboyz

joe3 March 4, 2014, 16:52:23

i totally agree dankerator, or RATDOG.
p

moe.ron March 6, 2014, 11:18:40

The fact that Claypool brought Copeland in on this set makes me think he is considering an Oysterhead reunion. And the fact that Primus and Trey Anastasio Band are both playing Summer Camp music festival in Chillicothe Illinois this May is exciting :-) also, I havnt seen where Copeland is doing anything on the weekend of Scamp, so he should be available. My fingers are crossed…

dk70 March 7, 2014, 10:34:42

Its like saying there was a Mini Cream reunion, but Clapton wasn’t there. Who cares really? The fact that Stewart Copeland emerged is cool enough. I saw Oysterhead in CamdenHell , NJ and it rocked! Stew blew the lid off the place.

CW March 7, 2014, 23:45:45

Thank God there wasn’t a full Oysterhead reunion. They blew balls.