Published: 2014/03/08

Phil Lesh and Friends Go "Drums" > "Space" with Alex Koford

Phil Lesh and Friends got some help from Alex Koford last night during the second show of their four night run at Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael, CA. The Terrapin Family Band drummer took up percussion during the second set for an “Eyes of the World” that segued into a rare “Drums” > “Space” (the combo was also performed the previous night) before moving into “St. Stephen,” “Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here,” a jam based around Queen’s “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” and a “Turn On Your Lovelight” finale.

The current Phil Lesh and Friends run features Lesh, Joe Russo, John Kadlecik, Jason Crosby and Jackie Greene, who was originally billed as a “special guest.” As previously reported, fans have the option of livestreaming the outing, which continues tonight and tomorrow.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores page

Phil Lesh & Friends
Terrapin Crossroads, San Rafael, CA

Set I: After Midnight, Cassidy, Doin’ That Rag, Pride of Cucamonga, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Just a Little Light > Mason’s Children

Set II: Shakedown Street > New Speedway Boogie > Estimated Prophet > Eyes of The World* > Drums* > Space* > St. Stephen* > Wish You Were Here > Crazy Little Thing Called Love jam* > Turn On Your Lovelight*

Enc: U.S. Blues

Notes: *with Alex Koford on percussion

Source: Philzone.org

Comments

Joshua Katt March 8, 2014, 16:00:05

Ugh, the waste of valuable show time that was Drums & Space. One of the best thing about Furthur is that they didn’t so it. Hope its not a trend.

AK March 8, 2014, 17:08:59

Who’s Alex Koford?

tellsemlikeismellsem!!!!!!! March 8, 2014, 19:20:50

drums/space bust out? a 1 armed deaf chimpanzee could put that crap noise together…... can’t believe it got a whole article here…....

Drumers March 8, 2014, 20:15:07

Hey Clambake. Keep your no drums jive off -ine, As for me….keep da BOOG A LOO rolling for da long term, If you know what I’m sayinge. Drums are the bottom-line bro, Keep it real. Yo. Charlie

Joshua Katt March 8, 2014, 20:18:23

Never understood why it was a mainstay of GD shows, to waste 25 minutes and slots for 3 songs except maybe give Jerry time to reload, God rest his soul…

hey phil March 8, 2014, 20:34:07

This is the most obscene slight to the Grateful Dead in it history. Let alone has Phil turned the meritocracy or art into a nepotistic Darwinian system he now is bastardizing that living art and the men who created it. Drums Space isn’t for everyone and its sure not for Alex Drumford or whoever he is. Phil should never show his face on stage again or Mickey and Billy should send a guy to go after him some would suggest. I think an onstage apology to the Devils and subsequent canceling of his Brooklyn Bowl contract should be the only consequences. What’s next Grambag in Further Phillyboy

Why? March 8, 2014, 20:43:37

I am so saddened by the news of Phil making such a misguided choice. My penpal from Relix used to go write about me in the bathroom during Drums Space. For years these served as my tapes and a wavelength into his soul through his interpretation of Micky during drums and space. Long live the Rhythm Devils.
Annette
Clark Cty Corrections
Inmate# 406J553R

Ron March 9, 2014, 05:17:49

Phil sounds as good as he ever has!
Love it! I would even put up with drums and space to see the Dead.
Let them do what they want I guess.
haha

wading river jeff March 9, 2014, 09:25:12

Drums is good, space not so much…...but jeez, if you dont like it, dont go, or watch. It’s just Phil having some fun with his friends in an awesome sounding setting, good fot him

me March 9, 2014, 10:35:37

You people crack me up bitching at Phil like you are the musician and make the choices… the only choice you have is to not buy a ticket if you don’t like what the musician is doing… I’ve never been a big Dead fan… and there are many more like me… imagine if Jerry listened to us say that he needed more crunch in his guitar and less plink, plink, plink! Yeah, The Dead would have been just what you love had they listened to everyone who told them what they should and shouldn’t do… If Phil wants to do set I Space/set II Drums and encore with Touch of Grey… he can because he’s the musician, you are the fan… you don’t have to like it, but that’s where it ends for you

Joshua Katt March 9, 2014, 12:39:02

Chill out me, these are just opinions, not bitching, expressed after the fact, that is what makes life interesting!! Of course he is entitled to do whatever he wants and if he sells out the venue (done) he’s made the right choice! OTOH, glad to see Phil singing more, should make my show at the Cap even better…

What everyones thinking March 9, 2014, 21:20:28

My friend said space is basically a time for everyone to tune and get back on track in the gd days, also youre all just pissed no one want to listen to your shit music. jaded vets much?

me March 10, 2014, 12:00:50

@Joshua… yea, you may be right… and I don’t want to come across as though peops shouldn’t speak their mind, but it just seems there is so much hating and no balance of “thanks” or “that was great” etc… the guy is in his 70s and doing what he loves, while trying to give people what they want… do you think Phil did the Space>Drums jam because he wanted to piss people off, or because he was trying to give people what he thought they might enjoy? So, if he missed the boat there and you had a chance to talk to him about it to his face, would you say something along the lines of “doesn’t seem to fit” or would you say to him “a 1 armed deaf chimpanzee could put that crap noise together”? IMO, you can complain without having to be insulting…