Published: 2014/03/09

Mike Gordon Band Incorporate Covers, Guests in Chicago

Mike Gordon took the stage in Chicago last night at the intimate Park West as the bassist continued his Overstep tour. The show was highlighted by a very special guest along with more creative cover debuts. Harmonica player Sugar Blue jumped on stage with the band for the final three songs of the first set, sitting in on “Say Something,” The Rolling Stones’ “Miss You” and Junior Wells’ “Messin’ With the Kid.” Sugar Blue has performed with Gordon in the past, including when he sat in with Phish at Rosemont, IL’s Allstate Arena in 2000.

Blue, 64, is best known for his work with The Rolling Stones during his time in Paris, France, contributing to tunes such as “Some Girls,” “Send It To Me” and the aforementioned “Miss You.” The Some Girls single as well as “Messin’ With the Kid” also served as MGB debuts.

Additional highlights from the show included a cover of Beck’s “Black Tambourine” from the guitarist’s 2005 effort Guero. Gordon closed with a tour debut of “Funky Bitch,” also a mainstay in Phish’s cover repertoire featuring Mike on vocals.

Mike Gordon Band will travel to Madison, WI for a show at the Barrymore Theatre on March 9.

Here’s a look at the setlist from last night:

Mike Gordon Band, March 8, 2014, Park West, Chicago, IL

Set I: Long Black Line, Surface, Face > Suskind Hotel > Face, Say Something*, Miss You*, Messin’ With the Kid*

Set II:* Ether, 555, Black Tambourine, Loon, Yarmouth Road, Crumblin’ Bones, Jumping, Horizon Line

Enc: Funky Bitch

Notes: *Sugar Blue (harmonica)

Comments

RoyBoy March 9, 2014, 12:31:40

Mikeo Esquandolis

Another day on tour March 9, 2014, 13:44:02

So it’s been just a monster tour so far and we aren’t half way through. I got into the “windy” city just in time. The show was shockingly sold out and the crowd was totally aroused with anticipation. I was mellow since I have been driving this tour so it’s been a strict diet of k and cubes. The father of rock came on a little late but transformed the Park or whatever the venue was called into a sizzling cauldron of classical bass infused mikegasms. The new material I agree is pretty much his version of Wings. They were a band on the run and they brought up this guy. The dude next to me kept saying it was Bernie Williams from the Yankees sitting in. I was pretty sure he was a guitar player but tried to start a “Hall of Famer” chant. People around me scoffed, someone said it was Danny Glover and another guy said it was a blues harp player who Mike dated for a time in the free and easy 1990s. Anyways the show proceeded and a man I believe was Bernie Williams incognito, never came around again. Mike reared his head like a Bronco as he flung the crowd around at his whim set two. The Funky Bitch just talked to me during that smoking encore. I didn’t miss Trey one bit. Phish won’t play again after this year. Mike is to good solo. So I’m on to the next one. Every show has really been as dynamic as the Hampton 1997 shows. I met some cool people that slept in my car with me. I’m not to sure what happened with that. I woke up with 2800 bucks, my car door open and only my boxers on. I had 35 bucks going into the venue and some cubes. Just another night touring with Mike and Scott.

Warning March 9, 2014, 13:51:08

Whoa brother mellow down easy, Mike is living clean and using protection on tour during all photo sessions.

drasticjasper March 9, 2014, 14:59:00

Thanks for the place to crash :)

wtf, another day on tour? March 9, 2014, 20:59:38

I lost 1800 bucks at that show and came to with a shit smelling narwhal horn in one hand talking to a mailbox butt naked with “big black furry creatures from mars” written on my back in magnum marker and an arrow pointed towards my sore manhole…. you are lucky i don’t find the car you sleep in and smear my narwhal horn all over the seats….

Ron March 9, 2014, 21:02:40

Is that a copy pasta? It’s hilarious either way.
May post on pt. Probably won’t, but someone else should. I like how random the covers are this tour.
I feel like they should play the shins sometime again. whatevers.

Phallic March 9, 2014, 23:20:11

The show was very heavy and akin to a smaller Fitz and the Tantrums show. Is it me Mike’s work highly sexually charged? He seems to use these scarfs as post modern asphyxiation tools for him to spiritualize mid note on stage. His vocal depth reminds me of Roy Orbison after a couple of Bartles and James wine coolers. Sugar Blue seems to have been taking better care of his teeth backstage compared to October of 1999 when those guys were “together.” The music is going to engulf the scene. I don’t know whether to be excited or be looking to leave the country.

me March 10, 2014, 12:14:20

@Writer Dude… man, you are wasting your talents writing your adventures on these pages (Your Phil stuff killed)... you should be publishing your adventures at a price… I hear there are people making $60-80/hr doing similar stuff on the internet after finding out from their sister/cousin/mother about how to do it… really, you’ve got nothing on Mike’s Corner… just remember it was me who encouraged you… I don’t expect to have to buy the book, or perform oral for your autograph…

Piper72 March 10, 2014, 12:23:54

Note to self: rent out car for phans to crash after show…