Published: 2014/03/12

Mike Gordon, John Doe, Members of Butthole Surfers Join The Music of Paul Simon Tribute

Mike Gordon, X’s John Doe and Butthole Surfers’ Gibby Haynes and Bob Forrest have joined the lineup for Michael Dorf’s The Music of Paul Simon tribute. As previously reported, the all-star benefit will take place at New York’s Carnegie Hall on March 31. The event will raise money for music education in New York City. Other confirmed acts include: Josh Ritter, Joe Henry, Bob Mould, Ben Sollee, Dan Wilson, Bettye LaVette, Joy Williams (The Civil Wars), Madeleine Peyroux & Jon Herington (Steely Dan), Allen Toussaint, Brett Dennen, Isobel Campbell & Andy Cabic (Vetiver) and Judy Collins. Antibalas will serve as the evening’s house band.

Gordon has performed both Dennen and the members of Antibalas on a number of occasions. In an interesting twist, he also recently added a Civil Wars cover into his solo repertoire. The bassist has performed a number of Paul Simon and Simon & Garkunkel tunes over the years, including “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover” with Phish and “Cecilia,” “Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes” and “Late in the Evening” in various settings with his current guitarist, Scott Murawski,

Comments

More Mike March 12, 2014, 17:06:21

The doctor Mike is in your house Mr. Simon. Once he probes some Buttholes while surfing in an ocean of dripping thick white water, he will come out wet and ready to tackle a silverback. As we know Mike has been giving us what we want which his solo material. Wingsuit is so bad it’s funny, but Mike dropped his DSOTM on us with his album which contains his Have a Cigar. I think Mike knows how bad the garbage the Wingsuit tunes are and will do anything to avoid playing the bare minimum amount of Phish shows to hit his ING retirement number or amount do asphyxiation scarfs for the year. Mike reminds me a lot of Roger Waters if he had the nuance of Pavarotti and the hands of a little boy. It’s stunningly attractive when he teases his hair mid song and licks his tongue toward Murawski. These shows and what Mike will do to take me to Graceland is so much more anticipated than hearing any song of Wingsuit.

Jerome March 12, 2014, 17:31:32

I think it’s about time for someone at jambands to monitor theses comments. This is terrible. Way over the line!!!

Yeah March 12, 2014, 17:55:56

Yeah I agree Jerome probes lots of holes someone should remove his post. He is trolling for jamband hookers possibly…

Jeromeinawingsuit March 12, 2014, 17:57:14

Mommy somone sane thinks Wingsuit is trash, I need to like it for my manhood. I will lap up anything.

1st Amendment March 12, 2014, 18:31:52

Jerry, why are you trying to suppress this guys 1st amendment rights? Do you believe in censorship and call yourself a fan of improvisational music? You may be hung up on your own ejudications of people, but let me tell you pal we are a socially liberal community. If you are going to come in here with this anti free speech, anti gay marriage, anti everything but you idea then shame on you. You should be on the Republican National Committee website to spew some of your seemingly fascist ideas.

Eric March 12, 2014, 18:34:03

“Mommy mommy, look at all the attention I’m getting! “

dave the slave March 12, 2014, 19:46:47

I thought Mike was going to jail.

Ron March 12, 2014, 19:50:44

Eric that’s gross you are a pervert sir.

You Mad Bro? March 12, 2014, 21:05:46

What? Mike finally got busted paying to slime Dave’s mom out in Writer’s hooker car? Put’s a new meaning to slave to the traffic light… Dave, your mom get away alright? I sure hope so, what with tour being announced… time to pay the Slave family bills…

Dave the slave March 12, 2014, 22:18:07

I could have sworn that Mike Gordon got arrested for something involving a 9 year old girl. Now that is a bit strange.

Stop March 12, 2014, 23:55:01

I have seen my fair share over the years. I toured with the Dead in the late 80s, Santana in the early 90s where I met Phish and it’s been a ride. This community is about love and positive vibes and karma. I live and breath that at every band members shows or Phish shows in my home town. We should all clean our acts up, it’s not cool registering as a sex offender or anything like that. Tour can take you there. Be careful.

TCinNYC March 13, 2014, 08:11:49

Mike is awesome. An excellent addition to a great lineup , a worthy honoree & a tremendous cause. Everything else is just noise. Aint no time to hate…...

912-8-7e-273-4 March 13, 2014, 15:36:22

you people are idiots

dankerator March 14, 2014, 10:51:21

i don’t think bob forrest was ever in the butthole surfers he was and is in thelonious monster (what a band)!!

tube row March 15, 2014, 09:21:29

dankerator is right – bob was in thelonious monster and bicycle thief. he’s now an acclaimed substance recovery counselor and the subject of a great documentary – bob and the monster – that’s well worth your time.
he and gibby are old pals. adding them, plus John Doe, brings a great l.a. punk vibe to an already great show. i’ll be there.
oh, and as a deadhead who saw well over a hundred shows starting in the 70s, i’ll just say that unless you know for sure that mr. gordon did any more with a 9 year old than take a beating from a biker over what was almost certainly a misunderstanding, it’s pretty screwed up to label him a pedophile. that’s a serious accusation.

Down to D March 17, 2014, 00:44:56

Being a paul simon tribute i would of thought that theyd brought in a brazilian cop union to represent the teacher union intrest while attempting to elimnate the democratized voice of the shrinking procreators i gotta hand to them they alreadyconvincedaton