Published: 2014/03/15

Unannounced Guests Join In as Jackie Greene, Anders Osborne Sit Out Phil & Friends Show

Phil Lesh and Friends had to pull a few audibles last night at Terrapin Crossroads, as both Jackie Greene and Anders Osborne sat out the show due to the flu (Osborne also made an early exit from Thursday night’s show because of his illness). The group—Lesh, Adam MacDougall, Joe Russo and Ross James—enlisted Danny Click, Tom Hamilton, Jason Crosby, Alex Koford and Emily Sunderland to help out at various points throughout the performance.

Click took up guitar for the show opening “After Midnight,” with Hamilton replacing him for the following “Scarlet Begonias.” Click then returned for “Girl From The North Country” before Crosby joined the fray for “Cumberland Blues.” Next, Hamilton came back for “Brown Eyed Women” and “Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo” and Crosby helped the band close out the set the set with “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall.”

Terrapin Family Band’s Alex Koford held down percussion for the entire second set, which kicked off with a “Viola Lee Blues” that featured Click, Hamilton and Crosby. The tune played into “Folsom Prison Blues” before moving back into “Viola Lee Blues” and eventually turning into an “Unbroken Chain” that then segued into “Viola Lee Blues” once again. Hamilton and Crosby stuck around for a take on The Velvet Underground’s “Sweet Jane” and Bob Dylan’s “Hurricane,” which was followed by a “Drums.” Hamilton then returned as the percussion jam moved into “Eyes of the World” and “China Cat Sunflower” before he was replaced by Click and Crosby for a set-ending “I Know You Rider.” The show finally wrapped up as Hamilton, Click, Crosby and vocalist Emily Sunderland all joined the band for “Turn On Your Lovelight.”

Lesh will continue his Terrapin Crossroads birthday celebration tonight and tomorrow. The bassist turns 74 today.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores page

Phil Lesh & Friends
Terrapin Crossroads, San Rafael, CA

Anders Osborne and Jackie Greene sat out show due to flu

Set I: After Midnight*, Scarlet Begonias^, Girl From The North Country*, Cumberland Blues^^, Brown Eyed Women^, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo^, A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall%

All of set II with Alex Koford on percussion

Set II: Viola Lee Blues%% > Folsom Prison Blues% > Viola Lee Blues%% > Unbroken Chain^^ > Viola Lee Blues%%, Sweet Jane%, Hurricane% > Drums > Eyes Of The World^ > China Cat Sunflower^ > I Know You Rider^^

Enc: Turn On Your Lovelight&

Band: Phil Lesh, Adam MacDougall, Joe Russo, Ross James

Notes: *with Danny Click
^ with Tom Hamilton
^^ with Danny Click and Jason Crosby
% with Tom Hamilton and Jason Crosby
%% with Tom Hamilton, Danny Click and Jason Crosby
& with Emily Sunderland, Tom Hamilton, Danny Click and Jason Crosby

Source: Philzone.org

Comments

Hal March 15, 2014, 15:15:24

That is one Sweet Setlist!!!

Mike Taint March 15, 2014, 15:16:20

the guy in the beret with the women’s glasses was awesome

Open Mic Night? March 15, 2014, 19:25:44

Was it an open Mic night at Terrapin Crossroads or did people pay for this with the expectation of Andres and Greene? I’m all for Phil and Friends but that would be totally unacceptable. We know the torch is being passed to the kids and their friends, but no need to have them even near the stage during any Phil and Friends show, with all due respect.

ImRossJamesBitch March 15, 2014, 20:05:16

There must have been vibrations in Marin fromJerry rolling in his box with this ramshackle last minute aggregation of mostly minstrels with instruments on or mics in front of them, but nothing more. I bet Phil suggested the big boys sit out to see if he could ring that register with a plug and play catalog he didn’t even write much of. If he thinks this is an acceptable answer to professional musicians around the horn we should start paying a 5 dollar donation at the door and get the 5 back on our way out if we dint have to toss a bottle at anybody on stage.

Kenny Kinte March 15, 2014, 23:32:42

I’m just getting back home from last nights show after being in the Bay Area for a week for my 5 year anniversary. My wife got tickets and we headed out to Tpin Xroads for a nice night around the music we fell in love with. We just had our first kid so it really should have been a lovely evening. The first thing that struck me was the questionable individuals by the cars outside. We were strolling in and I was tying my shoe and some wookie yells to my wife, “what’s 75 bucks get me.” I popped up and chased him through a series of cars and slammed him in the concrete. Before I started unloading on him my wife yelled, “Kenny make him give you his vile don’t hurt him.” Sure enough I let him go and you may as well call me Captain Trips as we walked into the venue. We both tested the waters with 4 or five eye drops and a good hour later Phil came marching out looking like Slobadan Mikosevic before a cleaning, and starts talking. I couldn’t hear him and the vision was challenged oddly. My wife turns to me and says Jackie Greene as well as Andres Osborne were sitting out and some EDM guy and Phil’s having a bunch of kids and ringers fill in the holes. I got upset and she appeared pale but then flush but then she seemed to wet herself. I led the chorus of boos at each solo for whoever this farmer was in stage. I tried to focus on the music while my wife was just whining about these loose musicians. After a while and tons of boos people were frosty in the crowd. I saw a few fist fights, by far the best was two women going back and forth until one of their boyfriends blindsided the other one and she laid there for about twenty minutes unattended, besides a few old men thinking they could hit on her. We decided that we won’t go back because who is to know who will show up. We paid for one thing and all I got was a vile.

Ron Steen March 16, 2014, 13:25:46

Excited to see some of these shows soon!
Looks like a lot of fun.
Unique setlist to say the least. Phil always delivers.