Published: 2014/03/16

Allman Brothers Continue Beacon Run with Derek and the Dominos Cover, More Run Debuts

Photo: Dino Perrucci

Allman Brothers Band continued their annual Beacon Theatre run last night with yet another two-set show that was low on guests but high on career-spanning material. The group opened the show with the musical swell based on Les Brers in A Minor, which the band used frequently during their 1992 tour. The introduction was surely a nod to ABB’s newest archival release Play All Night which chronicles the band’s 1992 Beacon Theatre run.

Throughout the show, the Allman’s touched on material from their expansive catalog as well as some cover selections. Performances of note included the Hittin’ the Note track “Old Before My Time,” which saw its first action since 2012. The band also dipped into their cover repertoire for a rendition of Derek and the Dominos’ “Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?”—featuring Duane Trucks on drums—as well as Howlin’ Wolf’s “Smokestack Lightning.” Both of which served as tour debuts.

Once again, the classics served as show closers, as ABB delivered a lengthy “Jessica” to close the second set and played a standalone “Whipping Post” encore. The Beacon run will continue on March 18.

Here’s a look at the setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section:

Allman Brothers Band, March 15, 2014, Beacon Theatre, New York, NY

Set I: Don’t Want You No More > It’s Not My Cross To Bear, You Don’t Love Me, Statesboro Blues, Hot ‘Lanta, Spots Of Time, Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’, Old Before My Time, Smokestack Lightning, Midnight Rider, No One To Run With

Set II: Rain, High Cost of Low Living, Worried Down With The Blues, Dreams, Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad^ > Drums > Jessica

Enc: Whipping Post

Notes: ^with Duane Trucks

Source: allmanbrothersband.com

Comments

Guy Smiley March 16, 2014, 17:27:18

The article says the show opened with Les Brers, while the setlist says Don’t Want Yo No More>Not My Cross To Bear. Which is it?? Either way, I doubt the recent release from the 1992 run had anything to do with the thought process. Anyhow, looks like a great setlist… Maybe the best of the run so far? I wish I was able to be there to see these guys one more time. I love them all! Here’s to hoping they come somewhere near me this fall before wrapping things up. Some Midwest dates, please??

Aron Manger of Aron Magner Presents Aron Magner's The Disco Biscuits March 16, 2014, 17:35:15

they said the musical swell that opens Les Brers. if you’re familiar with Les Brers you would know how it starts. that actually sounds cool – like a Les Brers fakeout, which they’ve done plenty of times. Where do you think my band learned Fakeouts from?

Kevin McCaffrey March 16, 2014, 19:55:36

Hey Derek and Warren grow up, you treated Gregg like he wasn’t part of the band the last two nights. Derek where would you be without the ALLMAN last name?

Kevin McCaffrey March 16, 2014, 19:55:37

Guy Smiley March 16, 2014, 20:38:22

I know Les Brers well, thank you… The article was just a bit unclear about it. Teasing a song, then drifting into something else, is certainly common enough. Regardless, sounds like it was a fine show. As for your band, I know nothing about them.

Hey Kevin March 16, 2014, 21:47:17

Kevin, are you kidding? That’s a very Gregg heavy setlist, as he even leads on a cover like Rain. As Gregg said, Derek and Warren with Oteil represent the best and most longest running incarnation of the Allman Brothers. I certainly saw some Dicky and Warren shows that were top end, but it’s pretty tough to say Gregg is ignored (besides during guitar solo time), when they play a majority of a set list comprised of songs he sings lead on. It’s not like its a show full of Warren tunes and his covers like Mystic. Spots of time is a P and F song so I can see where Gregg was ignored there and on the Dominoes. Since he can’t play the keyboard solo in Jessica well anymore they do ditch it some shows where Bruce Katz isn’t there, he fills in sound more or less. Almost every song besides that he sings lead on and is considered his song in the catalog.

Wow March 16, 2014, 23:34:13

Kevin, of all the ignorant and misinformed comments I’ve seen made about the ABB, that could be the worst. Don’t even know how to address it other than to say you literally couldn’t be more wrong if you tried.

John Q. Adams March 17, 2014, 00:30:53

Gregg has a fondness for RAIN and gives it his special treatment. I’m sure John Lennon would like it. Great setlist.

John Charles Griffin March 17, 2014, 01:20:28

A fair guess that musical guests will begin gracing the stage with The Allman Brothers Band at The Beacon Theatre during this coming week. Looking forward to attending the concerts plus the after party on Friday, March 22nd at BB King’s Times Square around midnight featuring Devon Allman with Royal Southern Brotherhood.

FAN FROM THE GET GO March 17, 2014, 08:31:38

Guests have been a given all these years for The ABB at The Beacon. I myself would not mind if their last night there was just The ABB themselves. Either way it will be an emotional night when the reality sets in that this is it for this NYC tradition . Through thick and thin it has been one hell of a ride for this band since the formation of the orginal band in 1969. I want to thank all members current, past and long gone for the memories and music which will remain.

me March 17, 2014, 10:32:16

HA!!! You ask where Derek would be w/o Gregg… well, you might ask the same in reverse over the last 15 years… Short of Duane/Dickey there’s never been a more perfect fit on guitar than Warren and Derek… maybe peaks when Dickey and Warren were together but certainly not as consistent night in and night out as these two… Derek would be, and is, fine w/o Gregg as you will see in the coming years!

Chris T. March 17, 2014, 11:39:59

Guy Smiley, are you serious?
You read jambands, and you don’t know anything about the Disco Biscuits?
Have you even heard the name? Your comment reads as though you thought they were a local garage band, lolz You don’t have to like them, but c’mon, sheesh…. As to the Biscuits, one of the coolest things comingg up is their collab with Mickey and Bill at the Vibes. Alan will have the most fun here, I’d want to think he’ll feel like the kid in the proverbial candy store, but if there’s going to be a LOOONG drumz (please please please), Aron might have a little fun too

Chris T. March 17, 2014, 12:56:59

Aron,
please tell me that you also picked some of that up from Jerry, Phil and Bob, after all they did it before the Allmans…

Bill Eisenberg March 17, 2014, 20:39:39

I saw the Allmans Saturday night the 15th, It was an awesome show ,great crowd ,great set list ,it was all good. I remember first hearing the Allman Brothers on my little transistor radio ,hearing one way out , I was like 8 years old . That was it, I was hooked , 40 plus years later ,still my favorite band , I feel part of there family, and that’s what it is. I get emotional ,that I might not see them ever again. What a ride . Congratulations to all the Allman Brothers Band members ,present and the past . And Thankyou for creating the best music ever.

Matt B March 18, 2014, 22:42:00

I never heard of Aron’s band either. I came here looking for a review of the current Beacon run, because this is the first year I am not attending a show since the mid-90s. I will say though, that Aron sounds like a complete tool in his post. “Where do you think my band learned Fakeouts from?”
Who cares? Nobody knows you! Except Chris. Also, why give yourself so much credit in your band’s name-if you are equally as UNKOWN as your bandmates? Tool.

Matt B March 18, 2014, 22:48:42

Aron, Out of boredom and curiosity I looked up your band on Google. Your TOOLNESS is very much confirmed with two pics I’ve seen. The one with you holding up your gang signs with Snoop Dog, and the one where you are giving someone the double fingers. I think you must be frustrated because 1) No one knows your band and 2) People probably mistake you on the street for another famous tool, The Situation from Jersey Shore. Peace.

Jeremy Hunsaker of Driving Wheel March 19, 2014, 13:02:04

I play bass in Driving Wheel. No one knows who my band is, either…but that’s okay. We have fun. And we love the Allman Bros. – where do you think my band learned how to play Old Friend and You Don’t Love Me?? Lol. It’s cool…we played a festival with aren’t band once, they’re fun. Good kind people lol. We don’t have to call anyone names…we’re all here for the music, right??

Jeremy Hunsaker of Driving Wheel March 19, 2014, 13:05:32

I play bass in Driving Wheel. No one knows who my band is, either…but that’s okay. We have fun. And we love the Allman Bros. – where do you think my band learned how to play Old Friend and You Don’t Love Me?? Lol. It’s cool…we played a festival with Aron’s band once, they’re fun. Good kind people lol. We don’t have to call anyone names…we’re all here for the music, right??

shari March 27, 2014, 10:49:53

i was greggs and jackson browns neighbor in California in the 60’s and he was a great singer and songwriter then and still is now…I have been listening to the allman bros. for 40 some years now…I have loved all of the line ups, and the bacon run will be missed!!!...shari