Published: 2014/03/21

The Avett Brothers Confirm Georgia Stand with Gov’t Mule and Emmylou Harris

The Avett Brothers have confirmed a two-night run at Alpharetta, GA’s Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park. On July 25, Emmylou Harris will share the bill with the North Carolina-bred band, and on July 26 Gov’t Mule will open for the group. Fan club pre-sale starts Tuesday, March 25.

As of press time, the shows are on Avett Brothers’ only late-July dates, though the band will head out for a series of Midwest concerts beginning on August 2 at Kettering, OH’s Fraze Pavilion. Meanwhile, The Avett Brothers will perform at Savannah, GA’s Savannah Music Festival today.

Comments

Jammy March 21, 2014, 10:44:59

Wow, it seems backwards that Mule is opening for the Avett’s.

Maze March 21, 2014, 11:14:19

Ratdog is opening for the Avett Brothers at Red Rocks. That seems weird to me. This Ratdog band is so good that I would hate to have to follow them as the “headliner”. Though most of the Avett scene probably doesn’t even know who Bob Weir is…

Clive Bigsby March 21, 2014, 11:46:09

Mule OPENING up for Avett??? What alternate universe are we in??

Real World March 21, 2014, 12:08:13

Mule plays at the Beacon, the Avett Brothers just almost sold out Barclays Center. It’s the real world. The Avetts are a large touring band, Mule is a mid level Jam Rock Band. Glad I live in Atlanta and love both bands. Mule could never play Verizon as a headliner so thanks to the Avetts.

Clive Bigsby March 21, 2014, 12:27:01

Hey Real World, Mule headlined Verizon 2 years ago with Dr. John opening up for them.

Hey Clive March 21, 2014, 13:15:15

They didn’t even have the lawn open but you are right. Mule is a burgeoning arena act with stadiums within grasp.

nickt1631 March 21, 2014, 13:23:12

I’ve caught the Avett Bros. live before and it was painful. This was about 5 years ago in Nashville. They screamed, shouted, jumped, hollered, moaned, beat the crap out of their instruments and annoyed the piss me out of me. My girlfriend at the time was a fan, so I endured. I’d put the Avett’s right behind 311 on the list of worst music made ever.

Clive Bigsby March 21, 2014, 14:11:06

My bad, it wasn’t Verizon, it was the Uptown Ampitheater in Charlotte, which is slightly smaller but still, any Mule fan would think the same. But good for Avett brothers I suppose. Still seems backwards.

Why? March 21, 2014, 14:35:55

Why would it make sense for a band that plays arenas and sells out long stretches of shows around the US to ever open for Mule? I’m a big Mule fan, but just because Warren is a legend doesn’t change the fact he plays to much smaller audiences than The Avett Brothers always unless he is with that band the Allman Brothers. They are insanely talented, so are Warren and Emmylou. This makes sense for all acts. Plenty of us Mule fans like good songwriting and acoustic chops as well. I’m sure Warren wants a broader audience too.

Mule ASSimulated March 21, 2014, 15:34:05

I believe I am in bizarro world if the Mule are opening for them! Yikes!

Lucia March 21, 2014, 15:52:58

I was initially shocked that Mule was opening but, have been hoping The Avett Brothers would play Atl soon. So its a bonus x2….venue is closer to home and Mule is the best band ever!

Awesome March 21, 2014, 20:40:13

I saw the Avetts at Greensboro Coliseum. You could only get standing room at that is 20k plus. Has Mule played any arena besides the Ashville Civic Center as a headliner? I am not sure why anyone would be shocked a good roots band that outgrew most venues Mule still plays a while ago would have them open for them. Sounds like a good cross section of fans for everyone involved with the largest act headlining.

Jo March 22, 2014, 00:21:17

Have to stick up for fellow Tar Heels – the Avett Brothers have paid their dues and worked incredibly hard to become the great touring band the are today. Love their music!

Grumpy ol Fan March 25, 2014, 16:46:52

Warren is from NC. I can see where the Avetts would get the big venue. i watched them start out playing in Chico’s in ’02, Have since become annoyed at trying to enjoy the shows due to all the hipster doofess’ Give me Mule anyday. Sorry Scott Seth and Bob. I also refuse to acknowledge those other guys as “Avett Bros”

kimmy April 24, 2014, 14:47:28

No doubt a WIN ~ WIN. My husband digs Govt. Mule and I love Avett Brothers. Totally awesome day for us both!