Published: 2014/03/22

Gregg Allman Will Miss Tonight’s Allman Brothers Band Performance

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Gregg Allman will sit out tonight’s Allman Brothers Band performance at New York’s Beacon Theatre due to illness. The Allman Brothers Band singer/organist missed last night’s show due to what was described as bronchitis. Susan Tedeschi, Tedeschi Trucks Band keyboardist Kofi Burbridge, Dark Star Orchestra keyboardist Rob Barraco, saxophonist Bill Evans and Gregg’s son Devon Allman were among the acts who subbed for the Allman Brothers Band namesake. According to Devon Allman, Gregg left New York for a few days to recover.

The Allman Brothers Band officially announced Allman’s absence earlier this afternoon on Facebook. This morning Allman Brothers Band ticket holders also received the following message:

Please be advised that, due to illness, Gregg Allman will be unable to perform on Saturday, March 22. The Allman Brothers Band will perform as scheduled. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to your continued patronage of The Beacon Theatre. All remaining shows will go on as scheduled.

Allman missed the closing night of the 2012 Beacon run because of severe back problems. Fellow Allman Brothers Band co-founder Butch Trucks also missed a show earlier this Beacon run due to illness. The Allman Brothers Band’s final Beacon Theatre run will come to a close a week from today.

Comments

KB March 22, 2014, 13:10:14

I love the ABB and the first time I saw them on 7.1.1994 changed my life. It made me unbelievably sad to read their announcement that after 2014 they were going to hang it up…however, maybe it really is time. This makes two members that have missed shows in an epic run due to illness.

JC March 22, 2014, 14:14:32

They should reschedule shows. What a joke.

Gregg fan March 22, 2014, 14:19:26

I would have absolutely no interest in watching the brothers without Gregg.

Dave the slave March 22, 2014, 14:48:27

While I would miss Gregg it looks like they played a good show from the setlist. I would have loved to been there.

dave March 22, 2014, 15:14:20

i understand the sentiment about being upset if gregg isn’t playing…however, i was there last night and the show was amazing, and i’m usual somewhat critical. If they’ve played a better show during this run than last night, i wanna hear it. They crushed it last night!!

Tab Hunter March 22, 2014, 15:42:12

Hang in there Jaimoe!. The run is almost over.

Sweet Tooth March 22, 2014, 16:14:47

I have seen plenty of great ABB shows without Gregg even as he was sitting behind the organ throughout. If you go tonight, you’ll have fun. Don’t over-think it. Let’s play a word association game! I’ll write a sentence and you post the first thing that comes to mind. Ready? “Gregg Allman has bronchitis and is unable to perform tonight.”

Rudy March 22, 2014, 16:40:19

Sweet Tooth, you saw plenty of great ABB shows without Gregg even as he was sitting behind the organ throughout?.

frankv March 22, 2014, 16:45:53

Love seeing Greg, however, last night“s show was so awesome that you did not miss him. There is so much talent on stage (Tedeschi, Devon) that more than makes up for his absence, There is no replacing him, but, they can more than carry a show without him.

Sweet Tooth March 22, 2014, 17:38:30

The answer will come to you Rudy

Diggity Dog March 22, 2014, 17:45:53

Sweet Tooth ; NOT GOING.

bg March 22, 2014, 20:02:09

Imagine how many GD fans wish Bobby would have taken a “night off” every once and a while. bg

bg March 22, 2014, 20:13:16

and vice-versa. bg

peach March 22, 2014, 20:31:43

Got 2 tickets 4 Tue train wreck

bg March 22, 2014, 21:26:14

I’m in…..hoo, hoo!

bg March 22, 2014, 22:15:07

meaning…......If I was in NYC. I sincerely hope everyone is taken’ all this in. It is a very special thing!
GO BRO’S! bg

Sick nick March 23, 2014, 07:10:30

I thought was gonna suck well nope I went Friday started off with mountain jam and finished with mountain jam. Warren made calls that were priceless. Don’t hate cause u missed best show of run. We got franklins towered into turn on your love light back to franklins tower. So maybe you should hate. Thank you warren

Rudy March 23, 2014, 11:48:08

Sweet Tooth, still waiting.

adam March 23, 2014, 11:58:16

rudy, he means that even though greg was on stage, he was invisible because he wasn’t doing anything up to snuff. he wasn’t literally absent from the show(s), but he might as well have been.

Susiecue March 23, 2014, 12:48:47

Anyone making derogatory remarks I have one question: have you been through even a quarter of the sorrow and heartbreak Gregory has been through?

Tony March 23, 2014, 17:31:41

Susiecue, the death of Gregg Allmans father and brother was very tragic. The drinking and drugs which have him in the condition he is in today was his choice.

kim March 23, 2014, 22:22:23

I am sure Greg is under a major amount of stress due to recent death on the set of his movie. midnight rider, my opinion don’t know for sure just guessing I know I would be.

Mookie March 23, 2014, 22:38:35

Saw the Allmans at University Hall in Charlottesville, VA in 90. Gregg sang a song or two, basically sat at his keyboard smoking the rest of the night while Dickey took over. It was weird. There were probably only 3000 in attendance, I thought Gregg wasn’t feeling well or something. Don’t get me wrong, it was a killer show. I would be disappointed to miss Gregg, but that band rips, period.

nickt1631 March 24, 2014, 09:33:31

One of the best Allman Bros. shows I ever saw was at Wanee Fest one year when Greg was out with Hepatitis. The rest of the band performed with a ton of other musicians that were at the fest that year, including Del McCoury. It was a great time, but it was not billed as the “last run”. So, I can see why people are upset about this, you wanted to see the Allman Brothers one last time. You probably can’t quinch that thirst without Greg on the stage. It will be a great show, with special guests and songs, but it’s just not the same without Greg.