Published: 2014/03/24

Bob Weir to Perform at Tribeca Film Festival Following Movie Premiere

Bob Weir will perform a special set at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 23 following the premiere of his new rockumentary The Other One: The Long Strange Trip of Bob Weir.

The documentary is said to chronicle the life and times of the Grateful Dead guitarist, from his early beginnings with the Merry Pranksters through his rise to superstardom. Director Mike Fleiss (“God Bless Ozzy Osbourne) reimagines the whole journey throughout the 93-minute film. Two additional screenings will be available following the premiere on April 25 and 26 and the AMC Lowes Village 7. Weir will not perform at these screenings.

Tickets for the screening can be redeemed here between March 31 and April 4. Only those with the Harrison or Franklin Ticket Packages can gain access to the screening through their promotional code.

Comments

This should be a blockbuster!!! March 24, 2014, 13:06:18

“Rise to superstardom?” Bob weir farms dead squirrels in his beard, plays for 300 people at the sweetwater, has collaborated with Hanson, writes no new material, and forgets half the words to all his old material….. Pretty sure a one armed gorilla playing bongos behind Jerry’s soaring lead guitar would have inevitably “risen to stardom.”

imbobweirbitch March 24, 2014, 13:24:20

Thats pretty slanderous for someone who fell asleep while playing keys the last time i saw him play in public.

brick March 24, 2014, 13:48:28

hope the story ends before his fall down performance with Furthur in Port Chester

Ernie Pyle March 24, 2014, 13:56:43

Bob Weir is a living legend, a former member of one of the greatest American musical ensembles that ever existed. Truly deserving of being honored as such in a rockumentary.

Vince Price March 24, 2014, 14:03:59

Take the money and run (or hobble).

Michael March 24, 2014, 14:41:21

I’m sure those generating pointlessly negative comments at someone lead such fascinating lives it’s hard to see a movie being made about boring old Bob. I’m sure a documentary covering the bitter, masturbation filled lives of Blockbuster, brick, and Vince Price would be infinitely more fascinating than the story of Bob Weir. Who would want to hear tales from someone who hung out with the Pranksters, played the Acid tests, toured the world and helped create a phenomenon still talked about fifty years after it’s inception. I would much rather learn the machinations of some anonymous fool whose life is so empty they actually take the time to rain on someone else’s parade. Maybe Mike Fleiss will see your poignant comments and say, ah hah! Here is my next movie! A faceless douchebag who spits venom from the safety of his computer because he just doesn’t get it. Cinema gold!

Freddy March 24, 2014, 14:16:49

“Blockbuster”, a one armed gorilla could write a more intelligent comment than you.

funkyriddims March 24, 2014, 14:49:23

Bob Weir has spent his entire adult life (and a good portion of his teenage years) living as a troubador and rockstar and is a founding member of one of the greatest bands of all time. This whole “Jamband” scene wouldnt even exist were it not for the Grateful Dead, and that includes Bob Weir. So he fell over at a show. So what. He’s a senior citizen for crying out loud! All you haters need to show some fucking respect to your elders. Bobby was dropping cid with Ken Kesey and making the legends before you could even spell “Jam”.

DJ Damage March 24, 2014, 14:52:24

Whoa-Ho-Ho Twirlie Girls and Miracle Ticket Fellas…The DJ is laying 93:1 odds that Buttfuckles Mc Twatt will either pass out and / or forget the words to 2 or more “songs” (Space doesn’t count as a song) payable immediately upon said infraction….While you’re at it purchase your BFMcT sweatshirts or hoodies at the DJ’s website (still under construction…)....Ol’ BFMcT should employ the DJ to hold his cue cards so he won’t make the usual flubs he is famous for…Let the chiming begin!

Dave the slave March 24, 2014, 15:01:04

Don’t get all the Bobby hate. Love Bobby. If you want to talk about something that really sucks that would be Phish. Now there is something to avoid at all costs.

me March 24, 2014, 15:09:46

Come on Michael, even good people can lead masturbation filled lives… even 1 armed gorillas %^) WTF is wrong with Hanson… so they were once a boy band… they may not be the next GD, but they are far from talent-less hacks… some people wrap themselves up in their little safety blankets made of only what they’ve been told is cool… jam scene posers, personally I think more of people who listen to overproduced, lip-synced music than you posers who are in a scene that is supposedly so open to real music of all kinds yet talk crap about something simply because you think you have a clue… and what does “farms dead squirrels in his beard” even mean? Christ, if you are too closed minded to appreciate music, at least understand the workings of humor… maybe he farms grey squirrels named Athos, Porthos and Aramis in his beard… all for one, one for all!

brick March 24, 2014, 15:57:28

back to the ratdog board and make with the fluffing, Mike.

Travis March 24, 2014, 16:56:19

People are just mean spirited. Get over it and be happy. The beard looks great!!! Whoop

john March 24, 2014, 18:20:50

I’m almost Bobby’s age. Saw him since 1969. Pretty sure hes a legend based on the last 45+ years of my life.

Bob March 24, 2014, 18:43:22

Bobby rocks. You all can go suck a bag of dicks. A whole bag of them.

dave March 24, 2014, 19:15:31

Do not let the actions of others,disturb your inner peace.Haters are going to hate.Me,I’ll be on tour with Bob Weir,having more fun than should be allowed.Please stay home haters.#dontletgo

tater March 24, 2014, 19:19:07

Bobby was as much a part of the GD sound as Jerry was. If it wasn’t so, JGB would have sold out stadiums instead of playing in small halls. But the reason there is so much hate for him is his terrible attitude toward the taper culture that gave the Dead the best word-of-mouth advertising that any band ever had. When it comes to tapers, etc, Jerry was Bobby’s conscience. Once Jerry died, Bobby suddenly got the soundboards pulled from archive.org. They are back, but can’t be downloaded. Thanks, Bobby. I’m sure you REALLY needed the extra money.

Marty March 24, 2014, 19:31:02

It really amazes me that people have enough time in their lives to speak ill about a person who has done nothing but good things in his life. Anyone aware of the SEVA foundation, or the various environmental groups he donates to? Are you really that hung up on picking on an almost 70 year old guy who, although may forget words to songs (I think it is more about him being so wrapped up in the beauty of his tunes), is a part of Americana. As someone put it earlier in the string here, we are still talking about the effect he and his band mates had on American music in 2014!!! His rhythm guitar playing is second to none and I am amazed when I get to see him play up close. His songs that he wrote or co-wrote with John Barlow or Robert Hunter or the many others have an imagery that is incredible to unfold in the minds eye. Nothing brings a tear to my eye more than an emotional Looks Like Rain or the truth of what we as humans have done to out world like of Throwing Stones. Please people, enjoy what you enjoy but no need to beat down another human being. Especially when it is like you are in elementary school making fun of a schoolmate.

Michael March 24, 2014, 19:31:20

I thought Deborah Kunts Garcia was the one behind the archive.org rape.

Wook master March 24, 2014, 20:22:21

Ain’t no time to hate on u ridiculous trolls. Who are u to talk shit on a sixty something old man who just got done pretty much selling out another tour. Check the set lists u custy trolls This last tour was straight fire ask anyone who went to show. Bob weir has got to have some of the most amazing stories and I can’t wait to see this film. Bobby for president

Frisby March 24, 2014, 20:37:30

Let’s face it, Jerry hit some rough patches in the 80s and Bobby was the glue on stage that held the band together. He is one of rock’s more interesting stories and, according to Guitar Player magazine, the best rhythm guitarist.

LaterGator March 24, 2014, 21:09:12

“...according to Guitar Player magazine, the best rhythm guitarist.” Right on Frisby! In a coffee table book of Steve Howe’s guitars, there is a pic of a guitar Bobby gave him and he calls him a good friend and one of the best rhythm guitarists in the world.
That is good enough for me. Steve Howe’s opinion carries much more wait than anonymous internet trolls with most of us Bobby fans.

Gabe March 24, 2014, 21:51:32

That rhythm guitar playing is well documented on all those Daves Picks and Dicks Picks live recordings. A lot of joyful listening and fans like me have their favorites.

yossarian March 24, 2014, 23:00:29

So glad I caught a couple Ratdog shows- bob was better than in years. Can’t ask for more in 2014… hating seems ridiculous at this point.

Anne in the Roses March 25, 2014, 07:53:44

Right on Frisby ~
Bobby is a human being ~ One who has exceptional facets and also a few flaws. It IS so easy to slip ….
I wonder what color glass houses those with bilious mouths live in ?
Yes, I love Bobby ~ and have for 45+ years And will for Eternity You know our love will not fade away :-)

JK March 25, 2014, 10:59:58

DJ Damage- I often read B. Weir articles just to see ur words of wisdom. Why no post on review of Ratdog?

DJ Damage March 25, 2014, 11:18:45

This movie should b about brownie from teh biscuits, i mean talk about inspiring a generation of music lovers. brownie/TDB’s music has helped me become the person i am today, a useless pathetic waste of life that posts negative comments on things between sucking off Dave the Slave and talking about how much we hate phish

DJ Damage March 25, 2014, 11:21:40

Well hello JK! The DJ recalls this being a benefit for a victim of the SXSW tragedy…Even the DJ has a ( barely detectable albeit) heart…Thanks for the shout out though, and know that the DJ’s (sincere) hopes & prayers are with all who need them.

DJ Damage March 25, 2014, 11:24:08

Impostor Alert! Haha, “Fake” DJ, everyone knows I use the famous Herb Caen ellipsis (Spoiler alert) style in my posts. D the S is the man though, I’m sure he appreciates the virtual ink as much as I do (write what you will about us, just don’t misspell our names)...

RST March 25, 2014, 21:45:46

I wish the negative remarks on here were more clever’y and less jealous’y. Oh well. Children will be children.

Ron April 1, 2014, 02:42:47

go bobby!

Joshua Katt April 2, 2014, 22:09:47

He Rocks!

alan April 8, 2014, 12:14:13

God Bless Bobby. I actually have blood family in places like California, but the Grateful Dead are the only people in our cultural mecca who have invited me there a number of times and deadhead family showed me around San Francisco & the Bay Area for a spell and then I was on my own … there and back again. There are valid additional reasons why I’m a Weir Disciple …how about the fact that because of Mr. Weir and the Other Ones who have gratefully Deadicated their lives / conscience to touring as well as charitable work without “ ringing the bells “ which so many of their contemporaries seem to do… anyone who has the gall to send negative vibes are simply … for a lack of a better word(s), perhaps jealous. Finally , to validate my opinion > some Christians both deadhead and not, who have heard of Bishop Fulton Sheen may well know this particular quote toward those whose hearts are filled with envy… ( among other things) > “...jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius…” Have A Grateful Day. ;-)

dire wolf May 13, 2014, 00:53:39

I love Bobby and the Good Ole Grateful Dead!!!

Fitflop Soldes July 23, 2014, 12:22:05

mac eyeshadow all that glitters mac Makeup Wholesale mac eyeshadow palette 120 colors 1A Productions mac and benefit makeup
Fitflop Soldes http://www.urgq.org/divesites/chaussuresfitflop/fitflopfr_235234.asp