Published: 2014/03/24

Gregg Allman Hopes to Return to the Beacon Later This Week

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Gregg Allman has released a brief statement about his potential return to the stage this week. In a message posted to their official Facebook page Allman’s camp says, “No guarantees but Gregg is improving and hopes to return to the stage for the last four Beacon shows.”

As previously reported, Allman is suffering from bronchitis and missed both Friday and Saturday’s Beacon Theatre performances this weekend. Susan Tedeschi, Jimmy Hall, Kofi Burbridge, Rob Barraco, Devon Allman and Jimmy Vivino are among the musicians who subbed for the Allman Brothers Band co-founder during the weekend. The Allman Brothers Band’s Beacon run resumes on Tuesday.

Comments

George Eastman March 24, 2014, 06:43:34

These Beacon shows have become more like a circus act than an Allman Brothers show.

dc March 24, 2014, 08:13:34

which shows have you gone to George…Fri & Sat among the best ABB I’ve seen in years, albeit not the most conventional given Gregory’s absence…

BAM March 24, 2014, 08:27:33

I hope brother Gregg get healthy. I went to both Friday and Saturday’s show and both were great nights of music, with some very talented musician. Much better to go on, then cancel but Gregg was still missed.

Yeah but... March 24, 2014, 09:43:33

Have to say that I absolutely love the Allman’s, but this is not the first time this has happened w/ Gregg pulling the ‘no-show’. Totally understand that he is not in the best health, but then why even schedule this run? Not everyone that goes to these Beacon shows lives in the tri-state area.i can’t imagine buying a ticket, traveling hundreds of miles, paying for a hotel and then Gregg no-shows. I’d be totally pissed! Maybe this is why it’s all about to end. Even Butch missed a show this run! They say they want to close it all out at MSG this fall. I really would like to go. But with Gregg’s recent track record for not showing, I really don’t know. This isn’t like going to see a New York Rangers game and getting Cam Talbot instead of Henrik Lundqvist. You have to realize Gregg is the one with the band name as his last name. No one else in the band can say that. Albeit they are all very outstanding in their own right.

Eric March 24, 2014, 10:15:23

Sorry, but this band is starting to really embarrass themselves now. Make the next show your last.

jwbeasley March 24, 2014, 11:27:10

Embarrassing huh? Everyone get sick and misses shows. I know it’s more noticeable when it’s the namesake of the band. However, embarrassing no. I saw them in Chicago in August of 2013, just a few months ago and I can assure you they were anything BUT embarrassing. The only embarrassing thing about the ABB is the fact they haven’t done a studio album in ages.

MFG March 24, 2014, 11:36:05

I went last Tues., Wed. and Sat. Tuesday and Wednesday were smokers, especially Tuesday. Good music Saturday but it just felt like an all-star cover show, not an Allman’s show. Susan Tedeschi is great and all but I don’t need a woman singing at my ABB shows. I need Gregg. ABB is Gregg’s band and the leaders of today’s ABB have their own bands respectively. Without Gregg, it feels like another band’s show.

Clive Bigsby March 24, 2014, 11:38:51

I understand, I think people’s deal is this is supposedly the last Beacon Run, and I’m sure people put in extra miles to make it to theses shows. Things do happen, and I’ve heard great things from this run. I hope they come to Charlotte one more time this year, would love to get my ABB on.

Tyrone March 24, 2014, 12:06:23

The ABB is not Gregg’s band. Gregg is in the ABB. If you have to have Gregg, go see the Gregg Allman Band. If it’s just because of his name, then technically the band should now be The Trucks Band, as there are more Trucks than Allmans currently in the band.

cosmicbein March 24, 2014, 12:36:29

No Greg Allman,no Allman Brothers Band end of story.Refunds should be optional to those who get it.Dig

Tyrone March 24, 2014, 13:01:31

Guess I don’t get it. Was at both shows this wknd, the band in some aspects were better. Gregg was of course missed. For those that only want Gregg, I recommend also hitting up Skynyrd at their upcoming state fair.

pm March 24, 2014, 13:31:41

Should have ended it after the fantastic 40th anniversary run

pm March 24, 2014, 13:33:24

Should have ended it after the fantastic 40th anniversary run

Banker March 24, 2014, 14:21:00

No refunds, they have already cashed their checks.

Marjory March 24, 2014, 23:34:39

The Allman Brothers band is not The Allman Brothers Band without Gregg Allman. Saw 3/8 show Except for the fact that I hate the Beacon it was a great show.
People get sick shows get cancelled
Get over it