Published: 2014/03/27

Ozzy Osborne Sends Cease and Desist Letter to Baltimore Brewery

Ozzy Osbourne has asked a Baltimore brewery to stop selling a beer that appears to be named after him. The City Paper is reporting that the Black Sabbath frontman sent The Brewer’s Art a cease and desist letter demanding that they stop producing their “Ozzy” Belgian strong pale ale.

The brewery hopes they can work something out, but it will be tough to deny that the product uses the rock star’s likeness. The can features a picture of a clenched fist with OZZY tattooed on the fingers, an obvious reference to the eccentric performer, who sports a similar tattoo on his left hand.

Comments

Charles Lezette March 27, 2014, 12:54:38

Omg! It Takes Great Balls to Do That!

Trick James March 27, 2014, 12:58:53

Ozzy: Stop it!! I’m not rich enough!!!!

Sch'mon March 27, 2014, 13:02:10

Why are you saying Ozzy sent a cease and desist letter? You know it was his bitch wife Sharon that sent it. Ozzy is fried and wouldn’t give a shit about this. Sharon is a true C U Next TUESDAY that is all about the money, who wouldn’t even give original drummer Bill Ward the money he deserves to play drums on the Sabbath reunion tour. Also, proofread before you post these articles.

Decahydron March 27, 2014, 13:22:08

Did these guys really think they would get away with this for very long? Just long enough for the publicity I guess, so they’re either very stupid or very smart.

Great Beer March 27, 2014, 13:46:19

This beer (and their others) is excellent. They don’t need the publicity.

jamesdinct March 27, 2014, 13:47:54

Umm I think they did get away with it for quite a long time actually. If I am not mistaken (and I could be) I had that beer four years ago at the brew pub and they had been making it for quite a while before my visit. If I had to guess without doing any research I would say most likely they just recently started to sell it in the can with that logo. I recall it was only available in a growler or a bomber that had a super low volume release confined to the Baltimore area and did not have the same art. After I tried it at the pub I had to go find a local liquor store that carried it and I brought a bottle back to CT I believe with different art.

Chris March 27, 2014, 13:48:07

They didn’t do it for the publicity and weren’t trying to get away with it because it’s been in their restaurant and on the shelves in Baltimore for years.

jamesdinct March 27, 2014, 13:49:44

And yes it is great, as is their food, and the pub.

Beernig March 27, 2014, 14:03:22

Is this beer better than Iron Maiden’s Trooper Ale? Black Sabbath vs. Iron Maiden, the battle continues.

me March 27, 2014, 14:17:35

@Trick & Sch’mon… First, Sharon is not only his wife, she’s his business manager… while you may feel the need to call her names, any business manager worth their weight in salt would stop this… just because he/they are rich doesn’t mean they should give their hard earned property away… The members of the Dead, Phish, Rolling Stones and any other band, team, hollywood star, etc. would not let it happen… Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are (were) pretty well off but I still have to pay for Windows (fuck Apple)... Bill Ward was screwed over IMO, but at the same time, the guy was not in top shape, thus the requirement of a second drummer on tour just in case… as a huge Sabbath fan (just got my ticket for Hamilton, ONT on 4/11), I hate what happened with Bill but just like your favorite player on a team, sometimes they are let go… not necessarily personal, just business… w/o Sharon, as tough as she may be, Ozzy likely wouldn’t have made it as far as Diary of a Madman, much less Blizzard of Ozz… she saved his life and his career… plus she threw eggs at Bruce the “Dick“enson when he mocked Ozzy while sucking from the Ozzfest tit… I love Maiden too, but if you wanna call people names, then focus on Dickenson he’s a douche, Sharon is one of the all-time great music business people…

Tomish March 27, 2014, 14:22:40

^^nice stealth Sharon post

Pokey March 27, 2014, 15:18:40

Why are some of you bad mouthing ozzy, his wife or management? You can’t make money off of something using someone else – it’s simple and all of you would do the same thing. Also, “Schmon” Bill Ward can’t play anymore, not good enough for an extensive tour – has nothing to do with money and everything to do with ability.

Sch'mon March 27, 2014, 15:38:49

lol at being an apologist for a music industry hustler. Come the fuck on. It’s a friggin’ beer. Who cares. You apologists sound like total beer n00bs. It’s common practice throughout the craft beer industry to reference bands and songs with beer. It’s an homage. Terrapin Beer makes some very hetti beer called “So Fresh & So Green”, I guess y’all think Outkast needs to sue. Bruce Dickenson is cool as fuck and Maiden > anything Ozzy could possibly do in 2014.

edward van March 27, 2014, 16:02:05

Rumor has they just changed the name…to “Heaven and Hell”.....

buddy l March 27, 2014, 16:11:00

Dio Draft (too soon?)

ryan March 27, 2014, 16:15:15

i wonder what they will rename it to. this beer is delicious.

me March 27, 2014, 16:51:21

sorry for rambling but one more thing… being an Ozzy/Sabbath fan, as well as a craft brew fan, the ONLY reason I would have purchased this beer is because of Ozzy’s name on it… I’m not a fan of the Belgian yeast spiciness but seeing Ozzy’s name would have made me at least try it. I’m sure I’m not the only one, thus it seems that Ozzy should get a cut since it’s him who helps sell it… maybe one day Baltimore Brewery will come out with Sch’mon Pils… you will be the first one bitching for your cut… just like when I complain about the meIPA…

MarZaPhiGar March 27, 2014, 16:16:47

One of the first rules of business is to PROTECT YOUR TRADEMARK. Why in the HELL should Oz or ANYONE allow for the name/brand that they spent DECADES building just sit idly by and allow some douche to enrich themselves off of it??? Plus, why should someone who has worked hard to achieve his sobriety allow for his name/image/likeness be used to promote such a product? And you dullards think Ozzy & company are the greedy ones??? Get a fucking clue and take business law 101. Oh- and one more thing. Let’s say Ozzy just lets this go. Guess what will happen next? Some other schmucks will take that as tacit approval to use Ozzy also. Seriously, I’m shocked at how stupid some of you are. Yeesh.

me March 27, 2014, 16:24:00

Umm, Sch’mon… actually been a craft beer snob for years and I’m good friends with the owners of one of the best new craft beer brewers on the East Coast… 3HB. I’ll use them as an example, they have The Kind, Too Kind and Tre Kind with a somewhat familiar looking guy on each of those labels but guess what? They made that guy look generic enough that you can’t say it is who it may look like… and if you reread your post you will notice you said “homage” so I’ll assume you understand the difference between it and image/brand, which is what is on that beer can above. Notice how in your example, the Terrapin beer wasn’t named “Outkast”? I guarantee you most any craft brewery gets permission to use image/brand (see Dogfish Head’s American Beauty or Bitch’s Brew). As for Bruce Dickenson, he’s definitely a unique and talented guy, no doubt…but he’s an self-centered douche bag as well… As for your comparison, yes Bruce would kill Ozzy in a vocal competition today, but that would probably be true in Ozzy’s prime…. Ozzy is not a singer as much as he is a screamer and entertainer… but while his vocal range and ability have dropped over the years, he and Sabbath were still killing it on stage as of last year when I saw them in Bristow,VA which is why I’m going back for more on 4/11… of course, I’d go see Iron Maiden too… but hey, hate what you want… as for being a “music industry hustler” apologist, you may have an idea of craft beer but based on your comments you are clueless about the music industry… name ANY band w/o a business manager or that wouldn’t protect their brand… out of all of them Sharon was the next generation of another pretty good business manager, Don Arden, her dad. So hate all you want, but it’s a job and she does it well. Lawyers are not on the top of my “favorites” list, but if I ever needed one I’d want a good one! Phish would have never been hustled out of millions of $$ if they had Sharon working for them… of course, they would have been exploited to the Nth degree but that’s another story…

me March 27, 2014, 16:42:50

@ed vann… NICE, you win!!!

Steve March 27, 2014, 18:13:28

I’d rather fuck Trey then Sharon

Otto March 27, 2014, 19:59:41

“plus she threw eggs at Bruce the “Dick“enson when he mocked Ozzy while sucking from the Ozzfest tit…Sharon is one of the all-time great music business people…” Well, people paid good money to see Iron Maiden at the Ozzfest show and then Sharon and kelly robbed those fans by forcing Maiden from the stage. Sharon could have dropped them from the tour if they are so horrible. To throw things at them while they are performing after having taken the money from the fans is not a good business move.
And Trooper Beer, sad to say, sucks. It makes Bass Ale look like a quality product.

Name Drop March 27, 2014, 21:23:21

This story reminds me of being on phish tour in ’97 when I got a cease and desist from Stan Lee for selling super heady Incredible Hulk nuggets

dankerator March 28, 2014, 09:08:46

If ozzy/sharon were gettn a cut of the profit for the beer things would be different. It’s all about the benjamins!! I’m waiting for “brainwash” by ozzy to come out anyday now!