Published: 2014/03/31

Capitol Theatre to Webcast April Phil Lesh and Friends Runs

The Capitol Theatre will host live webcasts for all eight Phil Lesh & Friends performances on April 2-5 and April 9-12. The Capitol Theatre has teamed with Nugs.net to host the webcasts. Each night will be streamed in both SD and HD for $14.99 and $19.99, respectively. Webcast passes for each of the four-night runs are also available, along with Webcast+MP3 bundles. More information on the webcasts can be found here.

Lesh will be joined by a rotating line-up of Friends for each week of the eight-night run. From April 2-5, the bassist will team up with John Kadlecik, Larry Campbell, Teresa Williams, Jeff Chimenti, Joe Russo, and special guest Boyd Tinsley of Dave Matthews Band. April 9-12 will include Lesh, John Kadlecik, Joe Russo, Marco Benevento, Jackie Greene, and special guest saxophonist Bill Evans.

Comments

John March 31, 2014, 21:19:43

Whoa! Remember when $20 got you in the door? I think I’ll still need a miracle or two to afford the run, where is hugs-for-nugs.com when you need them?

Philly Cash March 31, 2014, 23:46:29

A couple of notable things for the run. Phil may have taken full payment for his street walker show contract with these venues, now he wants to make that stuff pour into the family band trust. This just smells like he’s running a restaurant. He’s getting his payment for the check, but now he wants his gratuity for muddying up Hunters work. He should be a banker with all of these seeming “collection” techniques being applied to hapless 99 percenters. Don’t get me wrong, I love Phil and Friends, I’m just explaining that perhaps it’s time to realize you are a walking ATM or bank transfer into his kids accounts. At what point will we stop being squeezed by the elitist one percent on webcasts or pre paid runs where we don’t even know what band is coming. One day we will wonder what we invested in besides a couple kids musical wet dreams and their range rover estates in Marin. Fool me once shame in you fool me twice I will go see Ratdog or DSO Philly Cash.

Lisa April 1, 2014, 00:57:48

Not likely. That is more than Phish charges, and they are, y’know, a real band.

Ron April 1, 2014, 02:21:44

I still can’t believe Boyd is playing with PHIL!
I hope they do “ants marching“or maybe a little “too much” “tripping billies” or something. Phil wish horns always rips too!
The Grateful Dead with horns in general is always special. I know the price is a little steep but where can you go out and have the time of your life for $15 or $20?
I know I can’t get too crazy on that where I live. This is a wonderful option to get down and dirty at a great value and I think it’s cool that the offer is out there for anybody who wants it. It certainly cheaper than flying to NY…. I really hope Phil announces some more shows at the Terrapin soon…maybe a little PLQ with Warren?
It would be cool!

Mr stamford April 1, 2014, 05:30:07

Hey Philly cash..sharpiro owns the rights to the webcasts..so if u r gonna bitch at least get your facts straight..Sharpiro and nugs peeps are making the loot from the webcasts..as far as phish being a real band as opposed to Phil and friends .. To each their own..IMHO phish blows ..

Stamford April 1, 2014, 08:01:34

Stamford you think Nugs gets to host webcasts and not pay the band? While Schapiro makes money from the tickets to the soda you drink, thinking he gets the entire webcast with no rights for the artist is pretty hysterical. I know the guy tries to make money off the sun coming up every day and hyping whatever east coast wetlands memoria type band we can pretend deserves a slot at the Cap or Brooklyn Bowl, but he’s not the Clive Davis of jam. Phil seems to have set up his restaurant as a funnel and tax vehicle to transfer money to his kids. I wouldn’t be surprised if he claims Terrapin Crossroads is a charity to avoid taxes and make more money. I honestly think he should have transitioned to Wall St or a Koch brothers company in 1995 with his voracious appetite for fan money. Now it’s time for us to probably pay the kids. I want them to have 30 in the bank which they can dodge taxes in by saying Midnight North LLC is a homeless shelter for Bay Area African American Hookers maybe. That way no taxes, and it’s art anyways right? He is what some might call a modern day Robin Hood carrying a Telestar bass with a handgun and a bag for cash stick ups at the venue. You’ve got even more to lose…...

PK April 1, 2014, 08:54:16

If you can’t afford $20 for 3 hours of fun and enjoyment, you’re a big loser.

Steve April 1, 2014, 08:57:46

March 1986, Cumberland Co. Civic Center, Portland, Maine-$12.50 general admission, was standing 3 rows from stage.

Michael April 1, 2014, 09:15:50

Phil really has a lot of nerve to charge those outrageous prices for his tickets for his shows .I just don’t get it .

sunshine sunscreen April 1, 2014, 09:35:16

I think new riders are playing that night with a bunch of other folks that should be pretty great.

Mr stamford April 1, 2014, 09:36:50

Go back and read the press release when Phil signed w Sharpiro..one flat rate and all rights to the music..Phil got paid already..he has absolutely nothing to do w the webcasts..or the price of shows for that matter..it’s not hysterical..it’s accurate..check your facts guy

derpa April 1, 2014, 09:45:05

I love Phil…but I’m done with the rising costs. I can afford it, but I’m not stupid, so I’m not paying for it. I’m just gonna go ahead and spin some ’73 or ’74 Dead instead.

Michael Morelli April 1, 2014, 10:17:16

This is the cost of entertainment these days. The Fillmore east only charged around 4 bucks for a show. The 1977 End of Summer Show was $15. That was then. It costs much more to support all the staff involved in the production. That’s paying the workers a living wage.
Go pay for the so called name acts. The Rolling Stones charge a few hundred bucks for the cheap seats. Live with it. i will enjoy one or two of the shows from the comfort of home with some of us old timers. No fuss, no muss. Beer will be cheap. No one will bother you if you smoke a little. Worth the $20 bucks.

Carl April 1, 2014, 16:09:14

Thank you Peter Shapiro for the new Brooklyn Bowl in Las Vegas. Thank you also for these webcasts. While it is a little expensive for a webcast, we now have a choice. I like choice and think I will watch a few of these shows. I hope you make lots of money and open move venues. Quit using Ticketmaster, there is something that is expensive and a waste of time and money. There are other ticketing partners that do not charge as much, but probably don’t kick back as much either.

Wow April 1, 2014, 16:26:18

Hey Carl, if you send me an address I will send you a towel to clean the loads off your face. Let me know. I will charge you 99 dollars but I will tell you it’s a towel from the bathroom at a Schapiro Venue of your choice. Good work and congrats.

John J. Wood April 1, 2014, 17:24:09

Peter Shapiro is to the music business today as Don King and Bob Arum were to professional boxing in the late 20th Century: Promoting of over-hyped and grossly overpriced events to give your clientele an “experience” that in most cases you’ll wind up forgetting very quickly. Shapiro is no better — and in fact worse — than LiveNation and AEG Live! Can you say “rip off artist”? I knew you could! Sorry, Shapiro, but you will never see me at at any of your rip-off events nor venues. Besides, the music and venues in Colorado are much better anyway!

mikey p April 2, 2014, 07:10:35

How can u guys bash Mr Peter Shapiro? He changed the landscape of the live music scene. First with the Wetlands. The Brooklyn Bowl is the coolest concert experience I’ve ever had. He restored the Capitol Theatre. He has an amazing staff and provides a wonderful experience. I attended the Assembly of Wine show @ Garcias bar. $10 was a gift to see this. As far as Phil, How can u bash a man who reinvented the way a bass player synchs with a band. Yes tickets r a few $$ but he always plays “new” songs and has a different line up. I will support him as long as he plays. If u people that have commented don’t play an instrument or sing, i suggest you give it a try. Then u will appreciate how really fortunate u are to be able to see amazing talent @ an amazing venue called the Capitol Theatre. Peace

brian April 5, 2014, 04:33:23

People are complaining about the price of a ticket? Phil & Friends was taking the music in a new direction back when Ratdog sounded like any other cover band. Phil looked for new ideas and new combinations.
These days all the boys are making great music. At an age when most folks are retired Phil is creating and doing it well. We are lucky to be a part of it. Get over the ticket prices if the money is that important to you then the money isn’t the problem. Lets get on with the show…

billgram April 7, 2014, 16:35:10

watching a webcast is not as fun as being there live with all the heads. The capitol theatre is no different than any other venue its in a crappy neighborhood with no lot scene and cops kicking people off public sidewalks. If money isnt so important to us why is it important to multimillionaires like phil 35m or pete. IMO Phil and Bcb are ruining the legacy of the Grateful Dead with their sloppy cover bands.

Pay for Music? April 8, 2014, 20:23:36

How dare an artist like Phil Lesh charge for his music! Isn’t my enjoyment of it enough? Artists shouldn’t get money for their art.

dk70 April 9, 2014, 10:10:02

Some people bitch and moan like “an old man returning soup in a deli”. Hating on Phil Lesh? Really?!! How many unbelievable jams has this man given you in his 50 year career? Shut up, already. If its too pricey don’t go.