Published: 2014/04/03

Phil Lesh & The Terrapin Family Band Announce Brooklyn Bowl London Shows

Phil Lesh & The Terrapin Family Band will perform at the Brooklyn Bowl London on Tuesday, July 29 and Wednesday, July 30. The band will be supported by very special guests JJ Grey & Mofro on both nights. Tickets to the shows are set to go on sale Friday, April 11 at 10am GMT.

Formed from weekly shows at Lesh’s Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael, CA, the Terrapin Family Band has become the establishment’s official house band. The group—Brian Lesh, Grahame Lesh, Ross James, Scott Padden and Alex Kofrod—has also joined Phil at other venues, including Sullivan Hall and the Brooklyn Bowl in New York City.

As previously reported, Phil Lesh recently signed a deal with Capitol Theatre proprietor (and Jambands.com / Relix publisher) Peter Shapiro that includes up to 30 shows at the venue throughout the year, as well as multiple shows at various other venues operated by Shapiro, such as Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas, Brooklyn Bowl London and the Lockn’ Festival.

Comments

Sam April 3, 2014, 10:04:31

Some of these comments above are hating on the player and not hating on the game. It’s really hard to make money as a musician. End of story. That said, shouldn’t Phil be free to make it while he can? I’m in charge of my own money. I will not spend it on The Family Band. Really, it should end there. Power to those that will. Hope they enjoy it.

dudemancomith April 3, 2014, 00:25:19

So sad our friends across the pond will have their first Phil experience in years with the Family and not Friends.

joe April 3, 2014, 01:40:05

They could be seeing a pretty jet lagged band as well, as they will be in Japan at Fuji Rock just a couple days before.

ratdogfreak April 3, 2014, 01:59:28

you’re crazy. the london heads are gonna be so pumped phil is finally coming to visit them. the family band is the perfect band for shows like this. it gives a very honest representation of where phil has steered musically. don’t get me wrong i know phil probably loves playing with as many firends as he can, but lately his heart has been in the amazing things that are going on at Crossroads. the kids in the family band have chops & have already come a very long way & they deserve the honor of being phil’s go to band. not to mention how amazing an experience it will be for phil and his kids to share.

emldiablo April 3, 2014, 07:35:33

Enough with this guy already! He’s just suckin every last $$$ out of everyone. Insane ticket prices..Presidental tickets. WTF.oh wow a picture with Phil..His own family venue. What’s next. The sad part is you people just keep getting sucked more and more into this BS make believe Grateful Dead crap.That’s why he does it. They’ll suck you dry!!! Biycott this money machine already. Don’t you realize this guys worth over$ 30,000.000 dollars!!!

eldiablo8181 April 3, 2014, 07:51:51

Wow!! I just heard Phil is chartering a plane to England for all his fans .which includes ! ticket to the show ,a picture of the plane with Phil’s picture on it. For only $10,000 What a deal!!! So who’s going. Already got mine!!

Barry A April 3, 2014, 07:55:28

Hey, lighten up, brother. You don’t have to go if you feel badly about the whole thing. But I feel sad that you’re missing the whole point of Phil’s shows these days, the concentration of light and beauty that suffuses every performance. Have you been to a show lately? Please come check one out! These are rare opportunities for all of us. Remember: Ain’t no time to hate, barely time to wait!

eldiablo8181 April 3, 2014, 08:10:52

moran it’s sarcasum Phil Lesh’s shows are a joke. He hasn’t done anything new for 20 years!!. There is no point for these shows exept MONEY I swear dead heads just don’t get it. they do this cause you clowns will always go nomattewr if Big Bird is playing in the band.The only thing rare about these shows is quality!!! what are you a stock holder in the Family trust? light and beauty get a grip and come back down to earth

Sean April 3, 2014, 08:14:07

I agree 100% with diablo.

Mr stamford April 3, 2014, 08:26:55

Phil shows a joke..u should change your mustard stained sweatshirt and get ur ass to the Capitol ..Phil blew the roof off the place last night..

howmanypounds April 3, 2014, 09:09:33

It’s goanna be a lot of Quid’s to get into that show i would expect ! Cheeriooo!

eldiablo8181 April 3, 2014, 09:20:19

dad we want to go to England,but we don’t want to use our money.It’s ok lili Lesh’s I’ll book a tour and we can go for FREE and bilk all these por people out of their hard erned money. but daddy Lesh we don’t have a band there . It’s ok we really don’t have a band here!! you think if I had a real band I’d let you little brats play with me? ok daddy Lesh

Philly Cash April 3, 2014, 09:28:33

So PL won’t hire real musicians to go to London so he can make more money per show on his deal and promote his son. Let’s just tell it like it is. It’s more expensive to bring Warren or Larry or Jimmy or Scofield or even Tom Hamilton, so let’s get the fans to pay for our kids Europe trip and pops can cash in some sterling. It’s possible this contract Phil has indenturing him to specific venues is making him set his margins with different friends. Clearly nobody wants to pay to see the family band, so it’s an easy sell to pay those kids just expenses while Phil makes it rain. Maybe he’s drinking heavily again. I did heard somebody say that his rig was propping him up during the second set and during the donor rap at the Cap. I think maybe his pants are to heavy with all the cash in them, but wish he was drunk making these destructive decisions. Either way there is more satisfaction getting head from a transsexual with wooden legs than having Phil trade lineups as if he’s managing his money.

Mr stamford April 3, 2014, 09:37:25

The shows are 30 bucks Philly cash..stop w the non sense.. U have no idea what you r talking about…if he brought warren sco etc…the prices would b more in line w the current cap run..and again Phil blew the roof off..propped up ..please..where do u come up with this shit..

Stamford April 3, 2014, 09:44:27

Do you need a moist towellete to wipe all of Alex and Grahms loads off your face? I watched the webcast last night. It was fun. Then again those are professional musicians that command a professional price. The family band should play for free or 5 bucks. We shouldn’t be subjected to the force feeding of his kids acts as if we are trying to drink a beer with a ball gag in.

Philly Cash April 3, 2014, 09:48:49

Stamford not everyone is made out of money, besides Phil. 30 bucks plus a trip to London to see putrid attempts at Band and Dead songs by 17 year old meth junkies? I don’t think that’s fair. I have seen the GD and Phil since Calevaras 1987, but I am pretty new to this GD stuff. It’s not a family crest or a badge of honor, rather a service or act you pay for and they profit from. At some point the ingredients in the product have been changed from a steakhouse to a KFC, and the prices should reflect that of a kids meal at KFC.

Barry A April 3, 2014, 10:13:20

Ah well, eldiablo,I guess you won’t be joining our Happy Morons Club. And that’s too bad. It’s fun over here!

eldiablo8181 April 3, 2014, 10:18:44

Right on!! I’ve been seeing the Dead since 1969 and this is just plain ole debauchery. you see dead will never admit to anything bad about any recreation of the Dead.. I saw Weir pass out at the capital.never again for that guy.But strill the deaders still said Get well Bobby we need you,like they’re grasping and hanging on to everything dead it’s sad what this has cometoo. actually what do dead heads say when the drugs wear off “Hey this band sucks!!”

essell April 3, 2014, 10:19:20

To the people bashing him: If you were Phil, had kids in a band, wouldn’t you do the same thing? Enjoy playing with your kids bc you’ve been playing with friends forever? Too quick to judge. Why the hell wouldn’t Phil go to London with the family band? I don’t think he’s hurting with taking the family band up there. Their talented and you people who don see tht are silly. Go out to terrapin. You’ll see. And like I said, why would Phil do this?! You would too.

Essell April 3, 2014, 10:21:56

The people bashing this are the ones who won’t be making it out to London. Don’t hate Phil for traveling the last years he has! Do it yourself.
What’s atopping YOU?! Change it then.

eldiablo8181 April 3, 2014, 10:23:48

I cant afford to go to Terapin!! and plus the menu sucks. Stop defending everything this guy does already. he just a bassplayer not the 2nd coming of Jesus really enough as my dad said Grow up and get a job!!!

pm April 3, 2014, 10:23:58

They should stay there

PM April 3, 2014, 10:25:14

J.J Grey should be the headliner at least he can make his own music

PM April 3, 2014, 10:26:49

People in London don’t even know who Phil Lesh is. i mean he was the BASS player from a band from the 60’s

Day Job April 3, 2014, 10:31:56

Phil please stop this stuff. At this point I only go to Terrapin Crossroads to get blow and DMT.

Jerry's Truth April 3, 2014, 11:01:40

If Phil played the songs he actually had a hand in writing over the last 40 years, he would be playing for free outside a homeless shelter in Castro. He feels some ownership over Robert Hunter Jerry Garcia John Barlowe and Bob Weirs work for some reason. Deborah or Mountain girl should sue the shit out of him for adversely effecting the estate value.

kindgent April 3, 2014, 11:48:49

This is disheartening that the karma of the family has been damaged here by corporate crossroads and sports like long term venue deals. I havent seen Phil or Bob since I started actively touring with Dark Star Orchestra actively. 65 shows and 3 years later I feel like I am walking around like I am in Summer 82 tour all the time. I even acidently called Jeff, Jerry, last time I saw him. The music is there just close your eyes. The scene is smaller and more transient. I generally lie about my name to keep fresh in the scene if I spoil the water with a lady one night. No need on tour now. I barely rent rooms on tour. I just find a lot mamma and talk some Jerry with them and end up in their bed. Free love, cheap music and gullible people. Join me.

eldiablo8181 April 3, 2014, 12:58:00

hey Sam phils net worth is $30,000,000 weirs is around $25,000,000 so that’s BS they’re the new 1% ers greedy pigs!! making a living in music is one thing but this kind is obsene!!!

Frank April 3, 2014, 14:21:54

Well, as a European (German) deadhead I gotta say, we wait for Phil now for almost 24 years! C’mon, bring us back the Dead vibe, heads are eagerly waiting here, gathering from all over Europe, I bet. And I’m looking forward to these two shows, with family or friends or whoever, I don’t care in the end. Just to be together with Phil and some sweet sounds and a lot of friends (family!) makes me happy.

Re Frank April 3, 2014, 16:42:56

Frank hate to break it to you but not to much goes on with the Scamily band that is in the Dead vibe. It’s like an informercial prostituting young unassuming musicians that think they are in Mother Mcrees Jug Band. Phil is the doorman collecting cash and cleaning the floors between customers while occasionally laying down a thick line. You know how they charge you a couple euros to take a crap over there? Basically you are paying the doorman at the venue in the same manner. You will leave feeling lighter, but still filthy because you didn’t wash your finger before licking it. Go see a seasoned jazz trio or something instead and save the extra for a toother in your car before you go home. Check back in and let us know how that infomercial is and don’t forget to wash your fingers.

Doses April 3, 2014, 17:09:22

Pretty cool that they legalized liquid and k in liquid form over in the UK. That is if that’s your thing. Drip bags in customs no problem is like heaven on Earth.

ricosuave` April 4, 2014, 01:07:40

To all you naysayers of what Phil is doing with his time, (and your money)....I was at Terrapin Xroads for the last show Phil did before going to NY. Tickets cost $25 (2.5 hrs of music for nearly nothing), no drink minimum, great food in the restaurant, (I’m a well known chef btw), the show rocked (246 Dead shows ’79-‘94 I’ve been to some doozies both good and bad so I know what good is). You don’t want to be there, don’t go. You don’t like the band don’t go see them. I for one would be at Terrapin every night I could make it. A warm comfortable space dedicated to the perpetuation of the music we have all come to love over many many years. How one can feel they are “informing” or “giving a valid opinion” as if they speak for the majority is ridiculous as all i saw and continue to see from Phil is a guy who loves what he contributed to build and is loving his precious life and the time he gets to spend with his kids. If i were 74 and i saw the clock ticking I’d be the first one to do all i could to spend every second doing what I love most….WITH MY KIDS. You don’t like it don’t go…..I wouldn’t want to be near such a jaded bitter person like yourself anyhow.

paddieu April 4, 2014, 07:21:28

If anyone who knows relatively little about Phil’s wonderful post-GD work happens to be reading this, they will probably be pretty shocked by the vile trollist crap thats on this thread. In 20 years of internet GD reading etc I have never seen such a collection of twisted bile as is printed here. Ignore these trolls, London and GB and just go enjoy the world’s greatest bass maestro improvise shows in the company of whoever he chooses – you’ll love it I can guarantee that :-)

stop April 4, 2014, 09:12:05

Paddieu, you sound like you do PR for crossroads. Are your eyes scarred from the truth? You sound thin skinned, but like you contribute to Phils fat margins. People have opinions. It is their right, just like it’s your right to sound like a kid on Saved By the Bell. That said, when is Bela going to London? You mention the best improv bass player so I assume you mean Vic Wooten. Any deets? Skeet skeet kinte.

floyd April 4, 2014, 11:28:04

No one cares about bias opinions. Phil is 73 and still kicking so much ass. I think the family band is amazing…. to bring your actual blood line out and perform with you is a gift in itself. Keep rockin Phil!....who am I kidding of course he’s going to.

Randall C. April 9, 2014, 19:59:01

All of the bashing on this thread is 100% warranted. Phil’s music is so bad now that it is actually depressing to me thinking about it, and this is coming from someone who thought that the Q was one of the greatest bands I had ever heard. it doesn’t matter how many shows you have seen, if you think this current version of Phil is great you have done too much acid or you are just a kiss ass, because it ain’t. If you still need to be in a parking lot to feel like you are really hanging then by all means please continue to spend your retirement money trying to relive your twenties, but most of us that were really there and understood are too smart for Phil and Weir’s bs. You won’t have to worry about seeing me again, I can play just as good as these guys and feel great playing Jerry tunes and knowing I have just as much right to them as Bobby or Phil, and play them twice as good. We used to have to defend the Dead to non believers, now we have to explain it to people who are too eager to believe. There actually was a musical component to the Dead you know. His name was Jerry Garcia. Enjoy your parking lots. See ya.

hey now April 10, 2014, 09:38:47

Randall, I think its great that you are an awesome player and you do deserve Jerry’s music way more than guys he played with for 30+ years. When’s your next gig? I can’t afford Bob and Phil’s tix either, so if you are just as good as them I’m there!

yelnick Mc wawa April 13, 2014, 21:11:19

I saw phil and ?open for Dylan in’99 and maybe another year somewhere else,and it was boring 2 hour show with jams going NO WHERE. Saw phil and larry,theresa,molo jackie twice these 2 shows with this lineup was good. I guess i am lucky enuff to have seen The Grateful Dead 400+ times from ’77 until brent passed and 25 times with vince. Bottom line is NO GARCIA NO GRATEFUL DEAD. As far as FURTHUR YA GOTTA BE KIDDING ME.

Paul Mannix June 18, 2014, 18:11:16

All a bit pretentious you lot sound tbf. To the UK an old friend is coming over with his kid and friends to play a couple of old tunes, Like all old friends they have there foibles but you love them all the same and only have joy in seeing them. Old people music can be a bit tricky sometimes I get that, it’s not going to freak me or my family out and at £30 it’s a pittance really especially for London.

August West July 14, 2014, 19:56:16

I am an English Deadhead and cannot wait to go to Phil’s show. It will be a real pleasure to breath the same air as one of my GD heroes and believe me, I would pay far more than 30 quid to see him as that is very cheap for London prices for shows. Does Phil ever sign Grateful Dead items after a show?

Pete Roberts July 30, 2014, 10:32:37

Well, My wife and I went to the first of the London Brooklyn Bowl gigs last night and we thought it was great. The band isn’t the Dead of course, but then no band without Garcia has ever been nor will they ever be. Nevertheless, the Terrapin Family Band that I saw last night were really good and the crowd was a real hard core of English and European Deadheads, with some Americans thrown in for good measure and they made sure the place had a terrific atmosphere. They knew all of the songs the instant the intro started up and many of them are going back for more again tonight. Phil looked to be having a great time and seemed very relaxed as he interacted with the crowd. Really good night. If you didn’t go last night and you can go tonight? Do it!!

Heather Forever July 30, 2014, 17:07:50

Great show last night. Danced until I couldn’t walk. Two questions: Who was the fantastic opening band? And who was the little blond female singer with the great big voice. They ought to use her for all their gigs.
Set list: Playin’, Loose Lucy, Till the Morning comes, Brotherly Love, Cold rain, Ohio, Jackaroe, John C, Rambling Dice?, Unbroken Chain, St. Stephen, Suger Mag,
Encore: Samson, R E S P E C T ( sung by the great woman singer). And one more. I can’t believe I can’t remember the last song but I was just so blown away by that point. I remember it was a slow and sweet standard, I can’t seem to be able the get Unbroken chain out of my head.
:-) H