Published: 2014/04/16

Phil Lesh and Friends to Play Central Park Show

Phil Lesh and Friends will perform at Rumsey Playfield in New York City’s Central Park on Wednesday, May 28. This incarnation of the band will feature Lesh, Warren Haynes, John Scofield, John Medeski and Joe Russo. Tickets for the show will go on sale via the Capitol Theatre website at noon on Friday, April 25.

The New York Times announced the performance in their review of last night’s Phil Lesh and Friends performance at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. The Rumsey Playfield show will be Phil Lesh and Friends’ first performance in Central Park, though Lesh did play a quick, surprise set in the park with Eric Krasno and Joe Russo during 2013’s Jazz and Colors.

Comments

PM April 16, 2014, 18:05:27

Great lineup , to bad they wont play anything coherent

Panda April 16, 2014, 18:10:45

I wonder how much tix will cost? $100+? VIP package tix for his Capitol run were in the high hundreds, if not $1,000+.

rob300c April 16, 2014, 18:20:33

Pricing should be affordable…
The Capitol has a much more limited seating capacity so tickets can be pricey.
I bet they’ll be around 50 bucks for Central Park.
It’s worth every penny in my opinion, The Cap is my favorite all-time venue.

PT April 16, 2014, 18:21:42

lol VIP central park all GA no?

Dave Prodigo April 16, 2014, 18:28:50

Cool venue we saw Govt Mule there

trey April 16, 2014, 18:45:27

trey is gonna rip it up

Panda April 16, 2014, 18:47:22

Pricing for Phil at the Cap has nothing to do with seating/capacity. There are a lot of other acts who play there for A LOT less. National touring acts with good followings. Case in point: Primus tix at the Cap are $40. They’re not adding more sears for Les & Co….

Luke April 16, 2014, 18:50:06

Never comment on any site on people with pathologies, but I have to make an observation that after years of reading jambands.com articles and comments, this ‘PM’ character has indisputably got the most monumental case of PMS surely that the world has ever seen.

Panda April 16, 2014, 18:50:31

seats

Steve Grundt April 16, 2014, 18:57:55

I like the higher prices for these shows…weeds out the rif-raff!

Addie April 16, 2014, 19:25:02

PM wrote, on April 16, 2014, 18:05:27 Great lineup , to bad they wont play anything coherent What on earth does that mean?

Lynda O'Keefe April 16, 2014, 19:29:32

It means they’ve not heard the band, and the enjoyment they get out of life is by trolling around on jamband.com type of sites. Sad really…

Mark piazza April 16, 2014, 19:43:00

Just saw them at BAM. It was amazing. Small venue and tickets were not expensive.

dave the slave April 16, 2014, 20:35:13

If you want to see incoherent go see Phish.

Panda April 16, 2014, 20:47:20

^^^ now there’s a ridiculously stupid thing to say.

kovajam April 16, 2014, 21:07:16

chuck is satan^^

EbonyEyesoftheGirl April 16, 2014, 21:39:09

The Capitol runs have been nice so far. Not lots of people, tons of high priced snatch and a heavy partying. Larry and Theresa personally I though brought the energy of a flacid fat man after a bottle of nail polish before he tries to roll into is lady. Things have improved since then. I procured lots of chin lock at the last Capitol show, and had a great time with my friends who just left my place after last night. Central Park will be sublime, and I very well may still be up. This is just a gagathon as I listen to the last 10 shows. It’s been real people, time for me to unload one and head to the bar.

Greystar April 16, 2014, 22:37:43

^Talk about incoherent.

Greasy Mouthsex April 16, 2014, 22:41:43

If you need to defend Phish go to a different post or better yet go get the new album out in the early spring created by the songs tentatively called Wingsuit. That’s right, meth boy, wrote some airy fairy land stuff that’s more for Melissa Ethridge then his fans so go get it. Oh yeah Ezrin may have told them the truth. I have passes for multiple shows this Summer and if they are being lazy or haven’t released an album I will let them know it. Have some balls and don’t let this go on of you are a fan. They are going to take a break as soon as they can, Phil is more reliable than the Vermont women’s support group called Fish.

Michael April 16, 2014, 22:59:00

Phil has a lot of nerve to charge those prices at the capitol .How can he charge those prices? What a disgrace!!!

Robert d Scharpnick April 16, 2014, 23:23:52

Not ure hat u mean PM … Furthur is fantastic … This is one trip through he park that you’ll wanna be on … Trust me

Philly Cash April 16, 2014, 23:26:21

Que up some slack jawed acid casualty saying Phil doesn’t handle the pricing. You will find somebody on a Cap thread blaming Phil for his monumental capatilism at all costs bloodlust and the circle goes around. In the meantime we pay, like chained up prisoners of war that are dancing dollar signs in the crowd, whatever band of street people he chooses. May we be so lucky to pay under a thousand dollars to be in a half full suburban theatre or a filthy city park where people are getting raped openly and see whatever musicians come up in a sweep of local gay clubs. At the Cap a couple weeks back he had this dancing drunk guy dropping his fiddle in costume. I have no idea who this china doll was, but he reminded me of Richard Sherman wearing shades after a bottle of VoS. I for one bet that half toothed junkie Garcia is sitting down there moaning about the quality of his junk and how much money his work is making some guys he couldn’t even stand. He could have booted them all and toured with the Gypsy Kings backing and have been the first Psych Rock flamenco Mexican band.

RDS April 16, 2014, 23:27:46

Phil …Furthur …pretty close bands minus “bobby rock star”

Michael April 16, 2014, 23:47:43

Michael April 16, 2014, 23:51:36

Phil’s first time playing Central Park ? I guess 6/22/69 was a different Phil Lesh ? A little research could have not made you look so stupid. Ok my bad, read it wrong.

Paul April 17, 2014, 01:21:27

^^
Yeah, I’m pretty sure the band that played there in ’69 wasn’t called “Phil Lesh & Friends”.....

Bob Gould April 17, 2014, 02:14:23

No snark. Been a fan since 1969 (just a kid then). Phil is going to retire soon. So I’m going to do my best to bid him a very find fare-thee-well in CP. We shall see ...

steve h April 17, 2014, 07:44:12

Yes, you need to say more, i.e., that Phil has not only changed basses, but has completely changed his tone/sound from the chunky, angular, trebly, cut-through-the-mix lead sound he’s had for 50 years to a muddy, fuzzy, deep-in-the-background, low volume sound which is almost impossible to hear, much less enjoy. Bummer.

Schmon April 17, 2014, 07:47:01

Yet another show for the deprived NYC area.

DougEFresh April 17, 2014, 08:02:22

Love the place but it shuts down early… Hate that…

Cleeet April 17, 2014, 10:25:58

I love Phil, though he is charging an awful lot these days. But you gotta love the schizophrenic hater dude who slags 3.0 Phish (usually with disturbing sexual metaphors) while simultaneously bragging that he has passes.

Skunjelefeti April 17, 2014, 10:53:35

Larry Cambell and Theresa Williams brought plenty, to the Stage in the First Run at Cap. !!!! Larry Cambell is a Master…
Phil holds him high in his opinion !!!

Doc April 17, 2014, 10:55:37

Why is it people bitch about the prices, style of playing, etc….If it’s not doing it for you then simply don’t go. That’s what I’ve done and it works remarkably well. I quit seeing Phish in 2000 because the music changed and wasn’t doin’ it for me anymore. Musicians are gonna play what they want and as well they should, if ya don’t like it, don’t go…very simple. If you don’t like the price, don’t go..again very simple. Don’t understand why people think their opinion on music and pricing is need for trash talking

chrispy April 17, 2014, 11:57:11

If the tickets for this show are too expensive you could always just post up outside the venue… there’s a hill behind the stage and a bunch of benches off the mall to the side of the stage.

tumham April 17, 2014, 12:19:20

Another mid-week show…tough for people willin’ to travel for music…

PM April 17, 2014, 12:25:43

Put out something new Phil the bass player, never wrote a thing. Good bass player that’s about it. still making a living off Jerry.If somebody wants to pluck down $85 for a cover band that’s their business, but somebody has to speak the truth around here. Get Behind The Mule

Unbroken Phan April 17, 2014, 13:26:52

Hey PM(S)- how about you go fuck yourself. Your a hateful SOB and I see no reason why you insist on dropping your two cents into comment sections of bands that you obvious hate! Beat it on down the line jerk off!!!

Deadjam April 17, 2014, 14:00:35

These shows at Cap Thea in PC were outstanding! It’s like the old days in small theaters! Just injoy yourself!! €

Deadjam April 17, 2014, 14:00:35

DrC April 17, 2014, 14:04:01

thread is full of idiots. phil and warren at BAM brought the jammmz…. agree that phil’s tone seemed different though, but thought maybe it was the acoustics in the room. this CP show is a no brainer. if you can’t get into this you shouldn’t be on a site called jambands.com

DedHed April 17, 2014, 14:12:26

Wow, unbroken phan, let it go, consider the source even though ur right! This string obviously got out of control and off topic. Way to go guys. Keep listening to your old recordings and STOP being so spoiled & critical.

DEADHEAD55 April 17, 2014, 15:41:35

Phil Didn’t charge the prices. The Promoter Peter Shapiro set the prices. Scalping the VIP Boxes and the VIP Platform, The first row of the LOGE 179.00 each. 2nd and 3rd Row 129.00 and Bal were 92.00 with FLEAS! Taking advantage of the Deadheads.. Last time We paid 90.00 for the loges. . Bob Weir and Rat Dog was Almost HALF THE PRICE!! The Music is always Great at the Capitol. The BAM Shows where very unique and Phil Should think playing BAM AGAIN with special guests. Everyone Have a GRATEFUL DAY.

Savageblu April 17, 2014, 15:52:44

Yeah, shame on you Phil for charging so much at your Capitol Theater gig (Bobby’s GA tix were nearly half the price!). As a result I refused to go. If Central Park is reasonable I won’t miss it. Let’s hope so.

Philly Cash April 17, 2014, 16:10:58

How is he not playing a free show in the park? When is the last time this guy didn’t suck down a phatty pay check to bark “Cody’s story” at a bunch of degenerates.

Stan April 17, 2014, 17:30:32

Any concert in the park should be free.

bl April 17, 2014, 20:15:35

bob w’s show in montclair nj $29 great value, not participating in ANYBODY’s money grab however, it is UP TO THR ARTIST what they charge……………most even scalp there their own tix to help plenish their accounts…..duuuuuhhh…….

JGTentler April 17, 2014, 20:30:24

Central Park’s Rumsey Playing Field is visible from Rat Rock,the grass at the side of the roadway,audible from the mall..what could possibly be the source of all this bitter acid-wash ankle-biting aboout ticket pricing(promoter)the bass tone(acoustics of the hall)lineup(News flash;Garcia Still Dead!),and trash talk about performers?Medeski,Haynes et al are the TOP OF THIS FOOD CHAIN,you Road Pizza;Barclay’s and BAM and the Capitol Theatre are the best venues in NYC;The Park is a Sacred Place of Blues Jazz and Rock transcendence;Do leave your psychological shortcomings on the short-bus,should you actually get to town in time for the show,will you?

James Walden April 17, 2014, 22:12:47

I can’t find a time for this show anywhere. Evening concert since its a Wednesday?

Philly Cash April 17, 2014, 23:42:50

It seems like Phil the banker calculates exactly how much per song he makes and won’t play one song more than it takes to reach his goal. Think of all the royalty free paper flooding every angle of his being. It’s simply a matter of time before he throws out an announced lineup and changes the entire band and asks that you suck it down like new sex offender in prison. Living in the tri state area, I see so much out of these old junkies and the Vermont basket cases. I am in the luxurious position if being able to afford all these shows and even a professional encore in a hotel post show. This is a plea for my brothers and sisters on tour. Let’s dial down the prices and squeeze these guys like they squeeze us. Central Park in Spring with VIP packages. We may as we’ll let the deal go down and wire the cash straight into his account.

treyandphilarefriends April 18, 2014, 02:23:38

Greasy mouthsex is a fucking idiot! Name 3 Melissa Ethridge songs w/o google! You rant and talk crap with no clue about the shit you’re critiquing. I love the dead and I love phish. I feel for you because when push comes to shove phish is gonna be all we’ve got left.

nepotism orgy April 22, 2014, 13:13:39

at least he is not making us sit through the amateur hour that is Grahame and Brian Lesh. One of the biggest scams of all time was bringing those two clowns to be part of the headline band of the biggest summer festival on the East coast. (GOTV). That is when I stopped seeing Phil. He gets no more of my money after that folly.

bobby April 23, 2014, 09:16:24

hi my name is bob weir and if i show up at this gig to play you should all just go back home

Barry Connelly April 23, 2014, 13:14:39

Saw Ratdog there in 07 I think..Hugged the stage all nite long.Smokn…

panda April 24, 2014, 16:15:58

Price points are in for Central Park: $50 or $100. Seriously? Seriously. Pass. SMH

KD oldschool parkie April 24, 2014, 18:39:14

Wow, what happened to all the deadheads….....so many whining and complaining on this site. I hope you don’t come to the show….who needs all this negativity/

phil April 25, 2014, 10:05:39

how can anybody complain with this line up and this venue. literally history in the making

yelnick mc wawa April 26, 2014, 13:51:15

making history? What happened to the deadheads you ask? Real deadheads they stopped going to shows when Garcia passed. I heard a little,little bit of the shows with phil’s kids i would have demanded my money back. I won’t waste my breath talking about furthur but i would bet Garcia is looking down and not even digging this shit a little bit.

Doked April 26, 2014, 20:49:18

I saw the 4/3 show it was terrific. Nuf said.