Published: 2014/04/20

Bruce Springsteen Digs Deep Into Catalog in Charlotte

Bruce Springsteen rolled into Charlotte, NC with his newly inducted Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band in support of their latest effort High Hopes. Throughout the 30-song setlist, The Boss took a variety of sign requests from the audience including a cover of Richard Berry’s “Louie Louie,” Sir Mack Rice’s “Mustang Sally” and Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” to go along with his originals “Racing in the Street” and “Darkness on the Edge of Town,” among others. In all, Bruce would deliver four tour debuts by the end of the show.

Another performance of note was the show opener, “Iceman,” performed for the first time with the full band. The track served as an outtake from the 1977 sessions that would ultimately result in 1978’s Darkness on the Edge of Town and was later released as a part of Bruce’s Tracks compilation. Next up for Bruce and The E Street Band is a show in Pittsburgh, PA on April 22.

Here’s a look at the setlist from last night:

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, April 19, 2014, Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, NC

Iceman^, High Hopes, Just Like Fire Would, Cadillac Ranch, Louie Louie^, Mustang Sally^, Badlands, No Surrender, Out in the Street, Hungry Heart, From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)^, Brown Eyed Girl, Racing in the Street, Jack of All Trades, Wrecking Ball, Death to My Hometown, My Love Will Not Let You Down, Shackled and Drawn, Waitin’ On a Sunny Day, The Ghost of Tom Joad, The Rising, Light of Day

Enc: Darkness on the Edge of Town, The Wall, Born in the U.S.A., Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark, Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, Shout

Enc 2: Dream Baby Dream

Notes: ^tour debut

Comments

Angela April 20, 2014, 20:03:13

I was at this concert and it was AMAZING!!!!!!!

Todd April 20, 2014, 20:39:45

I was there too, absolutely amazing.
The place was on par with a Beatles show during “Cadillac Ranch” I mean everybody was up singing and dancing, you could see Bruce was like wow this crowd was ready to Rock, it was Intense.

Big Bruce April 20, 2014, 20:58:48

It was my first time seeing Bruce since Clarence took his last ride around the buffet. In his honor I wore my best suit, painted my face, got a dready wig and strapped a trumpet around my neck and headed to pregame dressed up like big CC. We did some barhopping in Charlotte and get good and loaded and headed to the Badlands if you catch my drift. We got to the seats and I was smoking hot in my CC suit to the point my face paint was running. Bruce tore into the catalog with some unfortunate cheesey cover choices. We know our Boss is old but enough of the 50s and early 60s stuff. It’s lame Bruce. The show was going strong until some asshole started tking issue with my costume. He thought I was dissing CC, but I told him I only had a trumpet so know CC would have gotten the tip of the cap. He kept wagging his jaw so during the encore break he turned from me.and I knocked his ass out stiff and moved to another section. The encore was great since 10th Avenue is his best song. On the way out I heard they were looking for a black man who punched a man in my old section. I thought about it and panicked. They were looking for me. I sprinted to my crar and feverishly whiped off my face paint. Police stormed by my car and I stuck my clean face out the window and drove home.

me April 20, 2014, 21:05:47

^^^^^ Great. Another concert “tough guy.”

Tomish April 21, 2014, 10:24:08

Cool story, Hansel. I’d be willing to bet that did not happen at all.

Mr Random April 21, 2014, 13:19:47

Of course it didn’t happen. WOW.