Published: 2014/05/05

The Big House to Host Alan Paul Book Signing, Jaimoe’s Jasssz Band Show

Alan Paul, author of The Allman Brothers book One Way Out, will hold a book signing at The Allman Brothers Band Museum at The Big House on May 11 in Macon, GA. Admission to the event is $40 which includes admission to the museum as well as a copy of the book. For those who already have a copy, then it will be normal admission of $8. Autographs will be limited to the book only.

Later in the day on May 11, Jaimoe’s Jasssz Band will perform at Washington Park beginning at 6 PM. Jaimoe, an original member of The ABB, will also join Paul to share stories and sign books.

Comments

Bob E. Lee May 5, 2014, 20:07:57

Am I the only one who didn’t think the Alan Paul book was packed with revelations a longtime ABB fan didn’t already know?.

lifetimefan May 5, 2014, 21:14:45

Haven’t had a chance to read Alan Paul’s book yet. From all reports it’s a real good book. That being said, as a longtime fan, I could really care less about he said this and he said that – about long past arguments and transgressions and who did who wrong – by the members of the original brothers. That shit has been beaten to death and at this point it’s history. What transpired between Dickey Betts and the rest of the original brothers can’t be changed. What’s done is done and at this point in time with the original brothers getting up there in age it’s all senseless. All these cats have had their issues and less than stellar moments over the years personally and professionally I’m sure. Who the hell amongst us hasn’t. No angels and no perfect people on this rock. Would love to see Dickey and the band bury the feud regardless if they play together again or not. Would be a damn shame if they didn’t. Congrats to Alan Paul on the book though. I do find it a little ironic that one on the main figures in the book and founders of the band in Dickey Betts gets zero press at jambands and other music venues online lately. The lack of coverage on Dickey’s shows with Great Southern is laughable and appalling. A living legend who is tearing the roof off the house on his mini tours with a great band and the excellent players in Great Southern gets very little press at jambands and other music blogs. Not even a peep of coverage on the tremendous show Dickey and Great Southern put on in Macon on Saturday. Anyway, smooth sailing to all the Brothers and Alan Paul in their future dealings in whatever form they take. Would love to see Alan Paul have to write another book on the reunion of the ABB with Dickey Betts back in the saddle for a bunch of select shows through a 50th anniversary tour :) I know, delusional and wishful thinking most likely, but the dream and hope of such a reunion of that magnitude still lives in a lot of ABB fans. Good luck and good health to Dickey and Great Southern, the ABB in whatever form they take, and Alan Paul and the rest who keep the Brothers legacy alive and well.

allman fan May 6, 2014, 05:27:28

Excellent post lifetimefan. It does seem dickeys band does not get much press,but he seems very private also.

Bob E. Lee May 6, 2014, 06:41:53

lifetimefan, excellent comment. I am not insinuating that Alan Paul didn’t do a good job putting it together. But it does seem like a rehash of past events that can’t be changed. I also have been a fan from the start and have seen every incarnation of The ABB. I still have a handbill announcing that free show in Saratoga, N.Y. in 1971 of which a few pictures are featured in the book. No matter what happened over the years including the ouster of Dickey Betts it is the recorded music there still to enjoy as well as memories of attending the performances that will remain with me for the rest of my earthly existence.

lifetimefan May 6, 2014, 18:48:45

Agree allman fan, I think Dickey and Great Southern have been kind of overlooked and underestimated in the press. It would just be good to see Dickey and the band get some props in the press as they’re really playing great right now. And well said Bob. Maybe the road doesn’t go on forever but the ABB music sure as hell will. Maybe I’m overstating it a bit, but I know it’s helped carry me through some pretty dark times. The brothers music heals the soul. Cheers

Kindofbird May 7, 2014, 14:19:42

Agreed about Dickey and Great Southern not getting props but to be fair, they don’t play that often and have had some very uneven shows. Hearing nothing but raves about memphis and macon last week and if that had always been the case over the past 5 years, I’m sure we’d hear a lot more!

Kindofbird May 7, 2014, 17:23:16

I found One WaY Out pretty filled with new info and insights actually. I thought Thom Doucette and Linda Oakley were really Intersting. Not nec new facts but what I’d call emotional insight. They helped me feel like I understood everyone better. So did Kim Payne. The stuff from him about BO’s death was brutal and gripping. And his story about “borrowing” Gregg’s Harley to get his Midnight Riders credit was unreal. Also thought the stuff about Gregg’s songwriting was really cool. I had no idea he was so into folkies. It made me hear his music differently. And I had a much better understanding of the split with Dickey after reading details about 93 and 96 meltdowns. The stuff in the hotel was brutal and wild. Never knew that Woody was basically fired. And the story about the Beacon show that almost didn’t happen was wild. Did you guys know all that? So yeah I thought there was a lot of new stuff.