Published: 2014/05/19

Washington Nationals Fans Chant "Wilson" for Wilson Ramos

Last year we reported that Seattle Seahawks fans were honoring their quarterback Russell Wilson by chanting Phish’s “Wilson” during home games. The idea first came up after guitarist Trey Anastasio pitched it during a TAB show in Seattle in April 2013, and gained steam after he donned a Wilson Jersey during one of Phish’s shows at The Gorge in Washington State last summer. Now, it appears that the song has found love amongst fans of the Washington Nationals baseball team. JamBase is reporting that the tune is being used to introduce catcher Wilson Ramos and, judging by the video above, the fans understand how they’re supposed to respond.

The Washington Nationals might be on to something. After all, the Seattle Seahawks did win their first Super Bowl after fans started incorporating the “Wilson” chant into their repertoire. You could almost say that “Wilson” is undefeated in championship games.

Comments

nope May 19, 2014, 15:20:23

Boo the nationals. Don’t ruin this song. GOOOO Braves!

Rutherford el Bravos May 19, 2014, 15:50:21

^what he said, go Braves!

Dave May 19, 2014, 15:58:08

GO BANANA!!!

Dave the slave May 19, 2014, 16:23:21

Phish just keeps on getting bigger and better. They are an unstoppable force for good and love. The new album is fantastic and without a doubt will give rise to many more Wilson-like traditions. If only I could get enough scratch together to go see this amazing, superb, timeless band. Been a rough one lately. Finally got the eviction stuff taken care of, but they had to cut a hole in the side of the trailer to get my girlfriend out of it. She was extracted, just like I thought, with a crane and an 18 wheeler was used to transport her to the hospital. On top of it all, the old landlord is suing me for the damages to the trailer. There is no end to the ruins my addictions will cause. Between meth and filthy, obese jugglettes, and transvestites, it is occurring to me that all my risky behaviors are going to eventually cross for a downfall of spectacular proportions. As it is, I am writing from a library, the landscaping of which also serves as my home. BUT. No matter what happens, I will be sticking out my thumb to get to the next Gathering of the Juggalos, and after that I will probably go on Phish tour.

Ron May 19, 2014, 17:39:52

Dammit, I read Dave’s comment almost all the through before realizing who it was. Time wasted. This is exciting though! The more Phish in the world, the better is what I always say!

Calpike May 21, 2014, 19:42:39

I was at the Nats-Reds game today and heard it several times. I felt like I was the only one in the ballpark that knew the connection.