Published: 2014/05/23

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cowbell Make Surprise Appearances During Chad Smith vs. Will Ferrell Drum Battle

It was truly a lifetime in the making but Will Ferrell and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith finally came face to face last night on The Tonight Show to settle their longstanding rivalry. It didn’t take long for the two to get heated, as Smith called Ferrell an “imposter” almost immediately. Thankfully, Fallon was there to keep things civil until they took to the kits.

Smith was clearly the more skilled drummer but Ferrell ended up taking home the trophy after the Red Hot Chili Peppers jumped on stage to perform “Don’t Fear the Reaper” with Ferrell on cowbell, reprising his classic SNL role.

Since the Peppers were in the house, they decided to perform one big superjam with The Roots as the band tore into Funkadelic’s “Standing on the Verge of Getting It On” and then delivered their classic “Give It Away” with Jimmy Fallon nearly giving himself a heart attack on set.

The drum off itself can be viewed above, but you check out the rest of the segment here.

Comments

therootsmadethechili'slookgood!! May 23, 2014, 16:21:04

The roots made the chili peppers not suck for once! (or atleast since 1992) !! Will Ferrell is awesome btway!!

timmy May 23, 2014, 22:14:07

I’m surprised you know the Chili Peppers existed before 2000. Some of their best years as a band were the later Frusciante years of the 90’s and early 2000’s. Yes of course everyone knows Blood Sugar is their masterpiece. Either way, this drum off was hilarious. Kudos to the band for bringing it back to their roots with a funk classic.

timmyifuonlyknew May 24, 2014, 09:02:06

Timmy, they were even better with Hillel S. The 1st few albums that george clinton produced are masterpieces! Blood sugar is when they started to SUCK!!!!

adam May 24, 2014, 10:20:53

The rhcp made the Roots not suck for once!

timmy May 24, 2014, 14:48:06

@timmyifuonlyknew: You lose any shred of credibility by saying BSSM is when they started to suck. Have you listened to it? Oh, good then you know it’s not just universally regarded as their best album, but one of the greatest rock albums in history. I guarantee you I’ve listened to RHCP longer than you. Maybe if we’re going to have a shoe size contest you should get your facts straight. First of all, George Clinton only produced one of their albums which was “Freaky Styley”. Not their debut or “Uplift Mofo Party Plan.” I didn’t even need to use a Google search like you to know that. Secondly, their music with Hillel Slovak was very good, but not even close to as deep or soulful as Frusciante. I love “Freaky Styley”, But “BSSM”, “Mother’s Milk” and “Californication” are on another level both production wise, and the level of sophistication on lead. Frusciante is one of the greatest guitarists of the last 30 years. Been a fan since 1988. Were you born yet then?

Timmy May 25, 2014, 21:51:36

@Timmy not that I agree with any of the posters above but you are the reason that people who are into music get a bad name. Please take your I discovered them first, I’ve been a fan for X amount of years and go live in a cabin far away from every person in the world. You suck…

Timmy May 25, 2014, 21:51:36

timmy May 26, 2014, 00:05:57

@Timmy: Never claimed to discover anybody. Otherwise I would’ve said I’ve been with them since they formed, not 1988. I was defending a band I have loved for a long time and are constantly shredded on threads by ill informed children who know nothing about them, or music in general. I was addressing misinformation by an ignorant comment. Nothing more. Don’t like it? Go fuck yourself.