Published: 2014/05/27

Phish Unveil Studio Version of "The Line"

Photo: Peter Yang

Phish premiered their new song “The Line” today via Rolling Stone. The track, which is set to appear on the band’s forthcoming album Fuego, deals with the story of Darius Washington Jr., the University of Memphis basketball player who cost his team a Conference USA Championship when he missed two free throws against Louisville in 2005.

Trey Anastasio explained the song’s meaning when the band debuted it at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on Halloween last year. The guitarist told the audience that the tune was, “Dedicated with much love to the incredible Darius Washington, Jr.,” adding, incorrectly, that track was “about his experience when he missed those two free throws at the end of the Final Four Michigan State game. We love him, and we can relate.“

As previously reported, Fuego is set to drop on June 24. The Bob Ezrin-produced LP will be Phish’s first album since 2009’s Joy. You can check out “Waiting All Night,” another track from the forthcoming release, here.

Fuego tracklist:

Wombat
Wingsuit

Comments

Clive Bigsby May 27, 2014, 10:38:31

dave the slave, please GTFO

dave the slave May 27, 2014, 10:36:33

Just what the doctor ordered. A song about a loser by a bunch of losers. Nice.

Tiger Fan May 27, 2014, 10:38:51

Darius Washington actually missed 2 of 3 free throws against the University of Louisville and it was in the CUSA final. If Memphis had won the game they would have gotten in to the NCAA tournament.

Evan May 27, 2014, 10:39:16

Louisville. The game was against Louisville.

einstein May 27, 2014, 10:45:20

The song “The Line” by Phish was written about the missed free throws at the conclusion of the 2005 C-USA Championship game. The song premiered in Atlantic City, New Jersey on October 31, 2013. However, during the performance, Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio mistakenly referred to Washington as having played for Michigan State, and the missed free throws as having taken place during the Final Four

Clive Bigsby May 27, 2014, 10:51:08

Who really cares what this song is about? Basketball or no basketball, this is a great song, from a great record. Can’t wait till June 24th!

me May 27, 2014, 10:57:31

Oh man, what an oxymoron you are Dave… A guy who hates Phish, but who you can bet if there’s an article that includes Phish’s name he will be there to make some sort of childish comment… you are the epitome of “loser” dude… It’s tough to imagine anyone other than a person like you when the word “loser” is floated around… To top it off, all of your childish comments really have no effect on the band or their fans at all, but they continue to show the type of person you are… congrats on accomplishing nothing other than proving you are the loser you so like to describe!

pyite72 May 27, 2014, 10:59:14

Hater’s are going to Hate! Whatever….They are recording and playing live and that is all that really matters! Phish Fan Since 1994!

blah May 27, 2014, 11:15:27

Who cares what this song is about? All that matter is that it god awful. Love Phish but damn! This track blows.

blah May 27, 2014, 11:15:28

MJM May 27, 2014, 11:33:10

Dave will be a slave to the traffic light this summer on Lady Gaga Tour

DJ Damage May 27, 2014, 11:40:33

YO MJM & me….neither of you wingnuts could carry D the S’ jockstrap. Petulant whining is as creative and simplistic as most of Phish’s boring extended jams…My man Dave has insight, humor and the ability to turn a phrase that neither one of you could hope to do in a Mike Gordon Kodak moment. Phish…a joke perpetrated by the folks who brought you Arcade Fire and A Clockwork Orange. Yep, hell for me would be strapped to a chair and forced to listen to Phish until my head exploded. Dave the Salve is the MAN!!

Over-sensitive much? May 27, 2014, 11:47:47

What blah said – “Love Phish but damn! This track blows.”
Don’t kid yourself people. It’s GREAT that Phish is back and making music. It’s NOT great music.

High Road May 27, 2014, 11:51:19

It’s art. Don’t like it? Look elsewhere. Pretty straight forward.

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 12:48:44

@me the problem is that you don’t understand how pathetic my life is. Everyone needs an outlet. Recently my girlfriend had to be extracted from our trailer with a crane and an 18wheeler. I was evicted, can no longer cook meth, and that trailer park was my last salvation. Now I have to take time writing from a public library. It’s easy to pass judgement, but you don’t have my life. All I wanted was an obese trailer trash girl, and I got that, but I cultivated her to such an extreme that now she’s in the hospital giving them hell, and I’m out everything I own, living in a bed of ivy behind the library. If I had any sense it would be behind a Subway so at least the dumpster would have food to eat… something I find that I require more and more as I am able to obtain less and less meth. I may break down and hitchhike my way to the nearest highway rest stop to find some truckers to suck off for a few bucks.

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 13:21:56

Easy now clone. You need to stay on point. The new music from those hacks called Phish. This has the makings of a truly epic disaster. Even the typical loaded out of their minds Phish fans can’t stand this crap. Time to wake up to the realization that at this point in their infamous careers they are now only in it for the cash grab. They are producing by far the worst music of their miserable lives for a bunch of myopic wookies trying to live in the past.. Stay strong Phish fans, stay strong.

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 13:41:25

And I love every second of it. Best album, best music, best phans, could go on and on. Can’t wait to get me down to a show and eat me a 10-strip of LSD, but I got some personal issues to take care of first.

peachhead May 27, 2014, 13:53:08

ouch.

Jim Calhoun May 27, 2014, 14:14:04

LOL Conference USA. There is no pressure to make free throws in that abortion of a league.

Ron May 27, 2014, 14:18:59

As far as the song goes, this is amazing, I love it. and LOL dave LOL. That’s kinda funny. It isn’t as depraved as most of your stuff. It is actually funny. your first comment keep it soft and people may like you. “you’ll be fine”

me May 27, 2014, 14:59:56

There he is again, along with his chum DJ. I’m guessing that stands for Dave Job, your cute little term for your “alone” time, cause you sure like to crawl right up his butt. Two sad peas in a pod… glad you get off to kindergarten humor but, really, regardless of your enjoyment of humor kids usually get over by 5th grade… or the hate you have for Phish, you both come across as truly pathetic… I mean, seriously, your lives are so boring that you have time to scour these boards just to post dumb messages? As I said before true meaning of loser

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 15:01:30

Once I woke up after a Phish show in the parking lot behind one of the portos. I’d taken 1/4 oz of mushrooms, 5 hits of LSD, smoked a bunch of grass, ate some E, and smoked some PCP. I pulled a full trash bag out of one of the barrels and made it into a mattress because there was no way I could drive. It was the smell that eventually awakened me. I got up and wandered around for a while in the empty lot, walked up the street to a 7-11, where someone called the cops on my because my dick was hanging out. I was still so numb I didn’t even know it. Ended up with an indecent exposure charge. You never know the twists and turns life will throw at you.

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 15:06:06

@me your homophobic insults have no place in our society, nor do they affect me. I’ll have you know that transvestite truckers are a true passion of mine. You might even call it an addiction. I am learning to not be ashamed of it. My life is shit, yes, but I bet yours is no fairy tale either. Don’t judge me. Shalom.

Dave's Clone MB May 27, 2014, 15:07:02

Kind of what Ron said, in that I was going to quickly pass judgment and post something like “GTFO”, but reading on and passing over shitty life post 2, I find some points are probably true. Now I am curious if you ever liked Phish and what bands / musicians do you like? Are there any bands out there that you have dedicated years to, would do all you could to see live with friends from abroad, or bring joy to you on shitty days?
That said, love the song, watched them play it live in AC where, as many of you already, know they debuted it with the other tracks listed. IMO put it out for US to give them some feedback. Love they are making more music, having fun, and making money! They put in their dues, if that is all one thinks, they are out there for at their age. Glad I don’t hear all the same songs, and again the fact that my Phriends and I are still seeing Phish live and walking out of each show with a SMILE??....works for me!
I am poor at concluding or sending you off with a witty, shitty, sarcastic, go fuck yourself comment, but you will be just fine.

Dave's Clone MB May 27, 2014, 15:47:45

“Don’t Judge me.”
“Even the typical loaded out of their minds Phish fans can’t stand this crap.” We all told you this? C’mon…
Some fans were disappointed they did not get to hear them cover a great double LP on Halloween, but the place rocked, and most every phan was stoked afterwards! Upon letting the fog clear and talked about the album after re-listening we gave credit where due and negative feedback as well. Same way we did all dumpster Daved out of it during the show (dumpster meaning your Phish campout). I doubt I’m done with this, but gonna bet what comes out of your mouth next, or at min 1 of 3 things, because your a “dumpster” backing up or attempting to make your point with shitty life, fucked up dealings, and bad experiences. Not judging YOU, just reading into it as I see it written.
Would love to hear your just fucking with us in the way your “jockstrap” friend came to defend you. (I cant scroll up to get your name and not retyping this on my phone again. Take no offense “strap”!) Now that would be great!
Regardless worth the read, time wasted, and look forward to reviewing your musicians / musical tastes.
Still a Great Song LOL!

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 15:57:31

I guess sometimes I can come off as a bit abrasive. As for my musical tastes, I am a big Insane Clown Posse fan. Gathering of the Juggalos is my home village. Then there is the z-kamp express, easily one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfmOYgWZMR0

dave the slave May 27, 2014, 16:29:03

I actually never said I was a big ICP fan. I have in the past said I would rather see them then those worthless hacks in Phish. That is true as they make better music and are better people than the members of Phish. Leave the little girls alone and buy some pants you freaks.

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 16:43:02

And see them I do, as I have long had a fetish for obese, unwashed trailer trash women, of which I can find many at an ICP show. This whole thing led to my current predicament, sad to say.

me May 27, 2014, 17:12:50

While I’m sure it was a joke (no trucker would ever want to spend money on a hateful bastard such as DtS), just to be clear, thinking that DJ has a nickname for his man love time with Dave the Slave in no way insinuates a “homophobic slur”... I’m happy that they have each other to love, cause with all that Phish hate, they surely need love in their lives, and if man on man (or, based on their level of humor, preteen on preteen) is how they were born I have no problem with it. Love is what it’s about people, it’s your choice to choose who to love, and obviously DJ and Dave have chosen each other, and in DJ’s case, he’s found a cute little nickname to remind him of those special times he shares with Dave. Oh, and yes, my life is pretty darn close to a fairly tale, with great friends & family, along with discovering music, especially Phish, I cannot complain… all that and a new album about to drop %^)

John May 27, 2014, 17:27:09

Is Feugo going to be the worse phish album ever, unfortunately the answer is yes. It sounds absolutely terrible, waiting all night as even worse. I love phish I really do but they may as ell have just intoducd new songs into who’s but never made another album after Joy. I at least like ocelot and stealing time and light. I hear nothing of value. Maybe 555??? Heard it may be decent. The lot shirts at NYE said it best, don’t sing Monica leave that bitch in queens.

DJ Damage May 27, 2014, 17:43:00

Whoa “me”, take it easy brutha…I was only havong a little fun here. Seems as though you’re hyperventilating, what with all of the grammar train wrecks…It will be fine friendo, none of this is meant to be taken seriously. Step away from the bathsalts and repeat after me, “It’s only a joke, it’s only a joke…”

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 17:52:12

And at least it isn’t Butt Fuckles McTwatt.

me May 27, 2014, 19:49:17

No sweat here DJ, and maybe the grammar train wreck is also a joke? Never-the-less, if there is a mistake, or two… I’m glad the grammar police are keeping a close eye on the situation… You are not funny, but I acknowledge that you come off as trying to be funny (sorta like the Gallagher of Jambands.com). On the other hand, your boy Dave isn’t funny, nor does he come across as anything but a loser who gets his jollies by talking shit online constantly since he obviously has time to monitor these articles, day in and day out (as well as post 15 comments/article)... Now, if you hone your humor skills, even at the expense of Phish, or Bob Weir, I will laugh. Christ, I hate to admit it but when I saw the article that mentioned Jackson Brown, I checked it a few times hoping to see something funny from you, but you let me down. So, until your comedic skills are at least at level of half the musical talent of Phish, I will just wear a garbage bag so your watermelons don’t ruin my Phish NYE shirt!

Dave the slave May 27, 2014, 20:15:11

@me: you are wrong about the truckers, by the way. It’s only the transvestites that I go for, though. You could be right, those types seem to go for just about anyone, but once upon a time I was able to make a decent living at it. Became ambidextrous if you take my meaning. I once serviced 5 at a time, I’ll let you guess how that was possible.

Joe Louis May 28, 2014, 10:25:25

I wonder what Darius Washington Jr. thinks about being immoratalized in a Phish song, especially about something he would rather forget. On another note it would be appreciated by this Phish fan if other admirers of the band and their music would comment something more constructive than the usual drivel that accompanies each and every article about them on this site. No, I don’t have to read the moronic stuff here, have your fun but let’s get back to the music.