Published: 2014/06/03

Woodstock Promoter Planning 50th Anniversary Event

Original Woodstock promoter Michael Lang is in the early stages of planning a 50th anniversary festival in 2019. Lang reportedly told Rolling Stone that “We’re starting to think about it now.”

The original Woodstock saw hundreds of thousand of fans gather in Bethel, NY August 15-18, 1969 for performances by legends like the Grateful Dead, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, The Band, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Janis Joplin, Sly & The Family Stone, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Santana, Ravi Shankar, Richie Havens, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie and many more. Two other “Woodstock” festivals were held in 1994 and 1999, though neither event was nearly as successful as the original.

Comments

tpayne June 3, 2014, 18:37:09

Get em

Joe June 3, 2014, 18:40:14

A little accuracy would be nice. The 94 concert, was in Saugrities(sp), and 99 was in Rome NY

Chard Romes June 3, 2014, 18:42:18

There were a lot more than 100,000 people at Woodstock dude

mcndrws June 3, 2014, 18:59:58

some background research would have been nice.

ben June 3, 2014, 19:02:33

it was probably more successful because it was free; didn’t cost an arm and a leg and there was far less pillage and rape.

Joshua Katt June 3, 2014, 19:09:45

Really time to give it a rest, Michael Lang and just let the memories of 1969 remain. Lightening doesn’t strike twice. Any event will be a lame, corporate shill, facade of the original, ten times worse than the 1994 & 1999 versions complete with lame, overpaid acts on the “Chevy” and “Android Phone” stages. I went to the Woodstock site 2 years ago to see Furthur, they can’t even use the term “Woodstock” on the grounds. Peace and Love (for a price), Michael Lang, peace and love!

Doc June 3, 2014, 19:09:49

It was only made free after gate crashes nearly ruined it

Joel June 3, 2014, 19:14:58

The dates of the original festival are written on the poster in your article. You should read it.

Tracy Furtado June 3, 2014, 19:18:54

hell yeah I was at the 25th…..preggers with my Skylar Danielle and we will definitely have to be there again, its our family tradition!! groovy…

Tracy Furtado June 3, 2014, 19:19:29

Julie June 3, 2014, 19:26:05

Someone needs to go back to journalism school to learn about fact checking.

Bill June 3, 2014, 19:56:34

‘99 in Rome was hot as hell. My buddy had a volunteer pass and we smuggled in OM cases thru that access gate and sold them for $50/CS. Blew that cash on N2O. Pillage at it’s best!

Purist June 3, 2014, 20:29:36

Maybe leave out any and all Pop, Rap, Metal and (Pop)Country stars, keep MTV away, and really make it a festival with music loving bands and fans; maybe then you’ll have a chance. A la the 1st Bonaroo, Lock’n, and Wanee and the like. There is no room for that commercial, harsh and insincere music at anything called Woodstock. See your failures in 94 and 99

blah June 3, 2014, 20:43:10

Give it a rest is right. Can’t believe Lang is still riding on this all these years later. And who knows what’ll be up in 5 years, thats way to long to plan something. Also poster says 15-17 but Jimi played on the morning of the 18th so chill out yall.

Cliff June 3, 2014, 20:52:55

I didn’t think that 94 was as big a disaster as some of you say on here, as it actually bridged the generation gap and kept closer to the original atmosphere, albeit with mosh pits. I went to 99 and that was a complete disaster.

MarZaPhiGar June 3, 2014, 22:01:11

I grew up nearby the TOWN of W’stock (MILES away from the site) and I am still amazed by how A). The town STILL manages to rake in the $$$ over a perpetuated myth and B). that people STILL think the event was this epic watershed event in history. It was a goddamned mess, an utter disgrace, and looks (from the film itself) to have been a horrible, miserable experience. NOTHING like Monterey ’67, Now THAT was the shit!

Phanatic June 3, 2014, 22:52:04

Funny that successful was in 69 losing millions and giving up rights to an awesome movie to cover those losses. Not successful is selling out to Pepsi and MTV for prob billions. Fan experience was equally awful for all 3. I still have some Woodstock money from 94. Those thieves made us convert real money into trinkets just to buy food to survive.

drasticjasper June 3, 2014, 22:58:39

original ticket to woodstock was $8 a day or $24 for the weekend we have a framed ticket on the wall Doc is correct it only went free when the festival was overwhelmed by people without tickets

MarZaPhiGar June 4, 2014, 00:15:18

I lived about an hour from Saugerties back in ’94. I remember me + my buds were appalled at the $150 tix, so we all said fuck that. O’ course, day of, the fences all got torn down 1st thing, and suddenly the math made sense: 300k people vs 800 cops & security. So we drove to a spot nearby and took our bikes across the Kingston Bridge and raged it fer free. Sadly, the attempts that were made to make it an orderly situation fell flat- people from around the country (and the world for that matter) ended up spending the weekend in satellite lots in places like SUNY Albany and never made it to the show.

Dave June 4, 2014, 04:40:01

“I think most of the value systems we espoused in the sixties were correct, and lasting. Peace is better than war, civil rights are crucial and right.
We were in that wonderful little period of time between the invention of birth control and the advent of AIDS, and in that window it was possible for people to be more natural. Because it’s actually natural for people to make love, lots.
We weren’t wrong about those things, but drugs we were wrong about. I remember people telling me, ‘Oh, coke’s not addictive.’ Cocaine is the most addictive substance on the planet; heroin’s not too far behind. We were ignorant then and we got ourselves in a terrible amount of trouble, me more than almost anybody.” David Crosby

Dave June 4, 2014, 04:56:12

MarZaPhiGar June 4, 2014, 05:57:31

Yeah man, the ’60s- back when nobody was a greedy violent womanizing drug-addled gun nut with an overwhelmingly outsized ego, right Mr. Crosby?

dk70 June 4, 2014, 09:24:38

“If you remember Woodstock, you weren’t there” – Robin Williams

Joshua Katt June 4, 2014, 14:07:03

Dave, this is possibly the best post of all time here on jambands.com Worth the read for sure. Much of the controversial info here is validated in the movie “Taking Woodstock” http://www.cracked.com/article/116_5-facts-about-woodstock-hippies-dont-want-you-to-know/

b-rad tidswell June 5, 2014, 16:28:50

I agree with a comment above: keep the rap, metal, pop, cheesy country and ganster vibe out of it. I was at ’99 and couldn’t believe how dark the whole trip was. On the first day there was already rotting, half eaten watermelons and garbage everywhere from the long mile-long line of yellow signed corporate vending with their semi-trucks spewing out exhaust. Hearing bands like Megadeath and Metallica (even though I used to be a headbanger and do like that stuff on occasion) was just not in the spirit of Woodstock in my opinion. I wasn’t at the original but I’ve read the book “Barefoot in Babylon” and seen the movie and heard the stories. I was mad at Lang for being such a sellout. I brought four smoothie-bikes from Canada and worked with an Oregonian Food booth selling organic salad,solar powered carrot juice and pedal-powered smoothies- we threw most of it away because the consciousness level was so low nobody cared. The riot didn’t help, in which girls were raped, tents robbed and burned. Someone gave away boxes of candles on the final day and one of our Sweetleaf booth-members told me that there would be fires. I said really? She said “yeah, they always burn shit on the east coast” The smell of plastic smoke blanketing the whole area was toxic ( it hought I was going to suffocate) as cars lined up belching out more smoke trying to get out of that living hell. No thanks to the Chili-Peppers who virtually insighted the burning by closing Sun night with Hendrix’s “Fire”. All music and partying stopped as we had to defend ourselves from the raving mob that was led by gangs of thugs wearing face-covers looting vendors and trying to rob the ATMs. We were the most original/ authentic thing there as we clowned around wearing costumes blending drinks as Mickey Hart band and others played the smaller stage before the havoc. The location was horrible- at one point we went to see John Entwistle playing in a chemical storage hanger (‘99 was thrown on an airforce base with hardly one tree). It was hard to know who planned the whole riot thing- was it the army/ police in the area who stood to make lots of disaster relief money while discrediting the whole Woodstock Nation or the ganster thugs that came to see Korn, Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit who then robbed all the tents they could find. The acts I went to see were more in the true spirit of ’70s Good Vibe Music : James Brown, Willie Nelson, Bruce Hornsby, P-Funk and String Cheese Incident. Most of the other acts on the bill seemed out of place. If it happens again- Lang should be very careful not to attract the wrong element and plan it better to resurrect the Woodstock legacy. P.S Check out http://tidswellstudios.com/?page_id=1617 I’ll be posting some pictures from our ’99 Woodstock Smoothie-bike mission. Long Live Rock!