Published: 2014/06/05

Trey Anastasio: Phish to Play Fewer Covers on Summer Tour

Photo: Peter Yang

Trey Anastasio has hinted that Phish will be playing fewer covers during this year’s summer tour. The guitarist told Rolling Stone, “I think you’re going to see a lot less covers… because everyone’s excited about the new material.” Speaking about the band’s new album, Anastasio also told the publication, “I hope it’s good – that would be great…The bigger dream for me is that the songs establish themselves in the live repertoire.”

As previously reported, Phish are set to release Fuego, their first album since 2009’s Joy, on June 24. The band, who will also appear on the cover of the July/August 2014 issue of Relix, have already released two tracks from the forthcoming LP—“Waiting All Night” and “The Line.”

Phish’s summer tour will kick off on July 1 in Mansfield, MA.

Comments

Chris June 5, 2014, 11:10:17

Did Trey Dye his hair? Wake me up from the nightmare. I miss the 90’s

Dave the slave June 5, 2014, 11:10:45

LET’S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!!! Wow, so stoked for this. I listend to an a capella version of the Star Spangled Banner. One word: goosebumps. I’m almost done building a special table that bends me over, props up my chin, but leaves my hands free. Since I’ve been doing a stretching routine, this will allow me to accommodate 5 dudes at the same time, and should allow me to raise enough money to see this band. My ass is sore just thinking about it.

Clive Bigsby June 5, 2014, 11:13:40

Uh…yes! But I do wanna hear Ya Mar!

Beargonefishing June 5, 2014, 11:26:24

U play weak ass 5 min possums and backwards in every city then pussify the rest of your show with 3 min 2001s and other weak trash. Even phish cover bands jam more and harder now. So really how bad does this new album have to be to not fit the songs in rotation. Oh yea, we found out how horrible last Halloween!!!!

Clive Bigsby June 5, 2014, 11:29:56

There’s no room for your kind Beargonefishing, or Dave the slave. We love Phish, and support them whatever they decide to do. Don’t like it? Find a hot tub with a time machine, and GTFO.

Dave the slave June 5, 2014, 11:36:04

Clive, you should be my first customer. I said I was stoked for this news, what more do you want from me?!

Tim B June 5, 2014, 11:48:45

Down for some exploratory 555 and Halfway to Moon. But, I would like a good Cities this summer at Randalls. Pumped!!

Cleeet June 5, 2014, 11:58:29

Don’t understand why those who hate Phish read EVERY story about them just to make braindead comments. Why not just ignore and focus on music you like?

Dave the slave June 5, 2014, 12:22:52

I love Phish. First Tube = best song ever.

Common Sense June 5, 2014, 12:46:54

Cleeet and Clive, Dave the slave and Bearf*cker are called trolls. Their sole mission in life is to go to websites like this and post negative comments to get other people to comment back and give some meaning to their pathetic miserable lives. By responding to them, you give them a reason to live and perpetuate their absurd nonsense. If you just chuckle to yourself at how moronic they are they will just disappear back into the hole they crawled out of.

Dave the slave June 5, 2014, 12:56:29

It makes me sad that people read only negativity into my posts about Phish. I truly love the band, moreso than any of you. Actions speak louder than words. How many of you have build a special table like I have so that you can raise money to go on tour? Not one of you. You’re all talk.

Love D the S June 5, 2014, 13:28:36

@Dave the slave, did you see the final episode of “Silicon Valley” on HBO Sunday? Tip to tip, that might give you some more creative ideas!

Dave the slave June 5, 2014, 13:33:41

No, I am too poor for HBO. I’ll check the youtubes.

Clive Bigsby June 5, 2014, 14:13:13

Common Sense, no sir I am not a troll. What negative comments did I make about the article? I love Phish, and don’t have a bad word to say about them. Check out the other articles, check out my other comments. Get a fact checker dude.

DJ Damage June 5, 2014, 14:14:13

Yo, D the S, you can come over an dcheck out the HBO at my crib. PBR, slimjims and puddin’ cups for all…..don’t let wookies get you down brother, keep fightin’ the good fight.

KingRhino June 5, 2014, 15:24:17

UMP > PHISH Similar Skin > Fuego /thread

bill June 5, 2014, 15:37:28

Im feeling old my 16 year old daughter asked me to take her to see phish. I had to miss my only deer creek 16 years ago (8/11/97) because her mom refused to hold her in another day.

jimmy T bakers June 5, 2014, 16:03:48

Full disclosure, I really like the new material.
That being said, I don’t think anyone wants a repeat of what can only be dubbed as the Time Turns Elastic fiasco.

dave the slave June 5, 2014, 19:55:48

Hell no. Less covers??? Covers are the only semi half way decent crap they play. They should only play covers because the next good song they write will be their first. And that freak drummer should take some of the money he has stolen from you wookies and buy some pants.

JK June 5, 2014, 20:54:15

DJ D- your insightful commentary concerning BFMcT is greatly missed. How is the marketing of ur sweatshirts going?

drasticjasper June 6, 2014, 03:22:35