Published: 2014/06/11

Allman Brothers Band to Release The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings Box Set

The Allman Brothers Band have confirmed the upcoming release of their highly anticipated box set, The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings. ABB’s seminal live album At Fillmore East is set to get a makeover with 15 previously unreleased tracks from their March 12-13 and June 27, 1971 shows at the iconic New York City venue, including multiple renditions of “Whipping Post,” “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed,” “Statesboro Blues” and “One Way Out.”

The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings will also feature the entirety of the band’s June 27, 1971 gig, complete with the never-before-released introduction by Bill Graham. Another notable addition is the complete versions of the two takes on “You Don’t Love Me” that producer Tom Dowd combined for original At Fillmore East release.

The original At Fillmore East was recorded over the course of the The Allman Brothers Band’s March 11-13, 1971 shows at the Fillmore East. Venue owner (and all around famed rock music promoter) Bill Graham was so impressed by the band’s three-night run at the venue that he handpicked them to play the venue’s closing show on July 27, 1971.

The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings will be available on July 29. The box set can now be preordered in CD, LP and Blu-ray formats.

As previously reported, the Allman Brothers Band will be calling it quits after this year. The band has scheduled a finale run at New York City’s Beacon Theatre for October, as well as appearances the Peach and Lockn’ festivals.

The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings tracklist:

CD 1
March 12, 1971 – First Show
1.   Statesboro Blues  4.08 (previously unreleased)
2.   Trouble No More  3.48 (previously unreleased)
3.   Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’  3.19 (previously unreleased)
4.   Done Somebody Wrong  4.01 (previously unreleased)
5.   In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed  17.05 (previously unreleased)
6.   You Don’t Love Me  16.55 (previously unreleased)

CD 2
March 12, 1971 – Second Show

1.   Statesboro Blues  4.12 (previously unreleased)
2.   Trouble No More  3.50
3.   Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’  3.28 (previously unreleased)
4.   Done Somebody Wrong  4:30
5.   In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed  19.50 (previously unreleased)
6.   You Don’t Love Me  19.10
7.   Whipping Post 20.00 (previously unreleased)
8.   Hot ‘Lanta  5.09

CD 3
March 13, 1971 – First Show

1.   Statesboro Blues  4.20
2.   Trouble No More  3.48
3.   Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’  3.47
4.   Done Somebody Wrong 3.55 (previously unreleased)
5.   In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed  13.00
6.   You Don’t Love Me  19.10
7.   Whipping Post  17.15 (previously unreleased)

CD 4
March 13, 1971 – Second Show – Part 1

1.   Statesboro Blues  4.19 (previously unreleased)
2.   One Way Out  4.30 (previously unreleased)
3.   Stormy Monday  10.14
4.   Hot ‘Lanta  5.00
5.   Whipping Post  22.00

CD 5
March 13, 1971 – Second Show – Part 2

1.   Mountain Jam  33.00
2.   Drunken Hearted Boy (with Elvin Bishop)  7.30

CD 6
June 27, 1971 – FILLMORE EAST Closing Show

Introduction by Bill Graham  (previously unreleased)

1.         Statesboro Blues  5.52

2.         Don’t Keep Me Wonderin‘  3.34

3.         Done Somebody Wrong  3.37

4.         One Way Out 5.01

5.         In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed  12.44

6.         Midnight Rider 3.01

7.         Hot Lanta  5.41

8.         Whipping Post  19.17

9.         You Don’t Love Me  17.56

Comments

Blooby June 11, 2014, 16:03:18

Will be nice to hear these tunes remastered. Always nice when unreleased Duane stuff surfaces.

BRUCE GOFFIN June 11, 2014, 17:37:50

who was the drummer then?

BRUCE GOFFIN June 11, 2014, 17:39:39

who was the drummer then?

Jeff Cremer June 11, 2014, 17:51:33

Always great to hear cleaned up Duane!

Jeff McLaughlin June 11, 2014, 18:22:55

I want to hear the horn section in You Don’t Love Me and I think one or two other songs that Tom Dowd edited out!

Jeff McLaughlin June 11, 2014, 18:25:12

Same as the drummers now. Butch Trucks and Jaimo

Andy Murphy June 11, 2014, 18:41:41

Would love to add this to my collection.When is the release date set for.

Tom Violagis June 11, 2014, 19:16:54

REMIXED AND REMASTERED!
5.1 mix if u buy the bluRay version
6 CDs will do for me….
Now
Where is the videos boys!

JAKE D PARNELL June 11, 2014, 20:20:16

THESE GUYS ROCKED MY WORLD IN THE EARLY 70,S .LOVE THE MUSIC, WHO ROCKS MY WORLD TODAY , THE ALMOND BROS. WATCHED THEM PERFORM AT FILMORE WEST , A MEMORY THAT HAS LASTED A LIFETIME , SO FAR!!!!

Tom June 11, 2014, 22:13:05

How many versions of this album do I have to buy? One more apparently.

George June 11, 2014, 22:13:21

I had just returned to NYC after getting home from the Army…the late, wonderful WNEW FM broadcast the closing show from the Fillmore East. It’ll be great to have these discs.

Gary June 11, 2014, 22:22:14

I have on records most of the old stuff how much difference do you think there will be with the new unreleased stuff. will it be listening to the same songs over and over? I sometimes get confused with previously unreleased stuff. especially when there are so many on the same album or CD

Norma stitz June 11, 2014, 22:46:37

You guys are all fake advertisers/spammers fuck you

Good point on the videos June 12, 2014, 08:54:46

Now that the band is finishing, I wouldn’t be surprised that after milking us for the 5.1 blu-rays that they turn around and offer blu-rays of the video with 5.1. I am going to cancel my order now.

Ed June 12, 2014, 11:46:17

Gary- the Allman’s NEVER played most of these songs the same exact way twice. That is to be more specific, Duane and Dickey NEVER played a solo on any song the same way twice, ever. That is the main attraction of these new releases.

Mike June 12, 2014, 12:23:49

Ed, you are absolutely correct; they never played a song the same way twice. This is for Duane afficianados who want to hear his unique takes from the limited recordings made before his life was cut short. Much the same was done with the Layla Box Set. Incidentally, both albums were originally were produced by Tom Dowd.

Robert Rocco Morosine June 12, 2014, 13:20:17

Music

Peter Holohan June 12, 2014, 15:14:25

Always start my day with “Statesboro Blues”...crank the shit out of it and start my commute….that song just gets me going !! Peace !!!

Dan Lako June 12, 2014, 16:29:38

I’ve boogied to yor tunes all my life guys.
Sorry to hear yas call’ner quits! Luv yas!

Thomas Violagis Jr. June 12, 2014, 19:02:45

Even if they wait then release 5.1 mix video DVD
Who that is into this holy grail of rock and roll
Would not buy that also
I lost my job 3 weeks ago
But I still had to shell out for the 6 cd edition
I’m into complete shows warts and all
And to have 5 complete sets of Fillmore east ’71
Shhhiiiitt!
No brainier
Can’t wait
Anyone that knows these guys
Knows they NEVER played the same thing twice
So if you can whistle any solo from the original package
Now 40 years later you get to learn how to whistle some new magic solos!
He’ll yea!

Thomas Violagis June 12, 2014, 19:12:16

The classic 45 minutes of video that has floated around for years, is owned by bill Graham’s family
What I’ve seen is grainy but I’m sure the originals are still in good shape….starts with dreams, Greg’s vocal mike doesn’t kick in till 3/4 through, and I still can’t wait to hear that
Video end with a cut whipping post
I don’t see a dreams on track list
Makes me think video is from march 11th, 1971
(They do not have audio from that show?, is what I have read)
The possibility of more footage of brother Duane doing his thang….is incredible, but I truly doubt it will ever happen
But, now would be the right time, since the band is calling it quits….money, money, money!

George June 12, 2014, 19:58:41

Though I am a great ABB fan and think Duane was / is one of the best guitar players ever I am not going to shell out for a new box. The Fillmore concerts were a real addition to Live at The Fillmore. Tom Dowd is a fantastic producer. But slightly different renditions of the same songs by the same musicians ….Not for my money while there is so much other good music around. ( A special plug for Randall Bramblett e.g.) Too bad it stops for ABB this year as I understand with their second best line up. No not second best music is not about competion. Sure as hell Duane would have loved to play with Derek and Warren. Anyway the road goes on forever….Brothers of the world unite.

Dan June 12, 2014, 20:55:33

And in 25 years they will release two more discs full of street noise from outside the Fillmore!

Jodi June 13, 2014, 00:41:04

How do I get a recording of you!! ( going down the road) ? I really love it and I know that other people would also!!!

Jodi June 13, 2014, 00:41:05

Jodi June 13, 2014, 00:41:06

Greg Benson June 13, 2014, 06:32:58

Alternate versions of songs are awesome, Now We need The Allman Brothers Band 24/7/365 on Sirrus Radio to be there with the other great American band..The Grateful Dead

Rob June 13, 2014, 09:59:35

Finally!!! I have been asking for this box set for years… Now does the Allman Bros or PBS have the rights to the show that was video recorded back then by PBS... Enhance that recording and we have reached epic nirvana!!!

DC June 13, 2014, 10:38:26

Where’s the 6/26 show?...S’posed to be superior to 6/27????

Ed June 13, 2014, 11:51:39

DC- I was fortunate enough to have been at that 6-26-71 late show and the ABB played on until 7am and my memory is that was superior to 6-27. However, rumor has it that no tape exists of this show- everyone was “enhanced” and forgot to turn the recording machines on!

Frank A Notarbartolo June 13, 2014, 23:01:04

This is great thing, this release. To hear the horns, which was Duane’s future vision of the band, according to Duane himself, will be a huge treat to hear. Not to mention different solos from Duane AND Dickey! Can’t wait! If these unreleased shows are even 75% as good as the June 27 show (which was released on the last deluxe version of Eat a Peach and has been out on bootleg for years), they are SURE to be ripping!!!! Just to note…On the June 27 show, Duane is playing slide exclusively on the SG Les Paul that Dickey gave him. My hope is that the accompanying book will have guitar and equipment particulars included. Now go “Eat a Peach for peace.” Anyone know the second meaning of that quote from Duane? (Keep it clean, lol)

Fatty Arbuckle June 16, 2014, 17:43:55

Would love to see more archival releases with the different guitar players through the years now that The ABB will no longer be in existence after the October Beacon shows.

Gregg fan June 16, 2014, 19:18:14

Its all the same songs.

Woodrow July 3, 2014, 04:04:50

Rob…Thanks for The Fillmore West 1-28-71 live CD. Duane was a devil god on guitar.

Nippy Keene July 17, 2014, 05:54:35

July 28th, in 11 days.

porky July 17, 2014, 08:01:53

could someone tell me what albums are out now that are the 71 shows?..i get so confused when trying to listen..names of albums?...this old memory just doesnt work as well anymore..

Zeke July 19, 2014, 09:31:49

Very cool. I saw the ABB twice in the early 70s and have been hooked ever since. So much great music, I can’t wait to hear the unreleased versions of these sngs. Someday I hope they release a version of Why Does Love a have Too Be So Sad with Derek and Warren.

Bassman July 19, 2014, 10:44:06

Having Warren and Derek was like the band in 70-71

Ace Duncan July 19, 2014, 10:45:49

Zeke, Beacon Run, March 20, 2009, they performed “Why Does Love…” with Eric Clapton. Available through Hittin the Note. Stellar.

CJ July 19, 2014, 12:57:51

So awesome!
Some of this is on Wolfgang’s vault.
BUT Where is the vinyl?

Jim July 21, 2014, 00:01:16

What will be missing from all this that made the original ABB so good, was the production of Tom Dowd. He will be mastered out, who is doing the remastering? Tom Dowd did not produce all of the Fillmore shows. One show had a bunch of horns that the band had added, He caught them in the middle of that and the next show ,they took all, but one out. I love the ABB, but I have my collection for now,

steve[n] July 21, 2014, 11:55:10

You’ve kept me wonderin’ for so many years about releasing the extra music over the days played at Fillmore that I’m on the verge of tears….......thank you, thank you, thank you for this awesome event….......................+