Published: 2014/06/11

Philosophy School of Phish Professor Launches Kickstarter Campaign

Last month we reported that Oregon State University would be offering a summer online course called Philosophy School of Phish that would be based around the band’s upcoming summer tour. Now, it looks like the professor behind the class has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for a film documenting the experience.

Speaking with Billboard, Dr. Stephanie C. Jenkins explained that her course, “brings up the question, does it actually count as being at a Phish concert if you’re just watching a webcast?….But that’s what I love. It’s a great way to enter the conversation of what is the experience of Phish. My students that are attending a concert on a webcast will be asked if it’s an efficient version of attending a concert or is it something else?”

An excerpt from the Kickstarter page, which was created by Jenkins, reads, “I want to make this experience accessible to everyone by filming a documentary about the class, why Phish matters, and what happens when Foucault meets Fluffhead.”

Jenkins hopes to raise $25,000 for the film, which will go to equipment, travel, editing, marketing and, in particular, obtaining the rights to use Phish’s music. More information on the campaign and the Philosophy School of Phish can be found here.

Comments

Moe Howard June 11, 2014, 15:10:20

“Does it actually count as being at a Phish concert if you’re just watching a webcast”?. I don’t think so, not anymore than I am at a Yankee game if I’m watching it on TV.

mooney June 11, 2014, 15:12:31

I’m not a Phish hater but what a waste of time and money.

spikenyc June 11, 2014, 15:16:34

This is so stupid!

Dave the slave June 11, 2014, 15:17:55

Does it count as being at a Phish concert if you’re arrested before the end of the first set for drug possession with intent to sell? Now that is an important question.

me June 11, 2014, 15:20:45

I’m a die-hard fan and even I can’t support this… unless anyone is willing to send me $25k for summer tour… I’ll even record it and send you a copy! Digital begging has gotten out of hand, there’s something to be said for working hard at something you think is worth the effort, including figuring out how to fund it. Do you know how many tour rats you could feed grilled cheese with $25k?

Joshua Katt June 11, 2014, 15:51:59

This is beyond stupid. The funniest part is that she calls herself “Doctor” Stephanie Jenkins. Let me save you all some time & money. Webcasts are not concerts nor is watching them on TV. It’s not even 1% of the experience of being there. Poor Bob Weir can’t seem to make a go of TRI Studios after sinking god only knows how much into that. There’s your Doctorate level education right there.

Trey Anastasio June 11, 2014, 16:50:24

Even I think this the dumb, if I can’t physically piss in your ear it doesn’t count. One more thing SCI, biscuits & STS9 suck my left nut.

Tellsemlikeismellsem June 12, 2014, 02:23:57

No body wants to pay for dr.jenkem and a video crew to go on tour.

TJ Hooker June 12, 2014, 10:15:45

What a crazy concept. There are kids who can’t afford junior college home economics classes, yet we are supposed to finance a professor from a big state school on Summer Tour. Wake up people. These are typical shenanigans most of the mid level to low level Facebook Twitter bands pull, where they try to truck you into paying for their album or for a “private” 400 dollar show for the “fanz”. Can’t she go on tour with Umphretic or Boscowitz? Seems like one of their schemes.

Joshua Katt June 12, 2014, 12:32:23

An overzealous groupie with questionable “credentials” who wants to be paid to go on tour. Isn’t she soaking the good taxpayers of Oregon enough? BTW, I was at Phish MSG last December and saw you throw the book on stage, you looked like a complete idiot!

Colonel June 12, 2014, 17:14:11

Dumbest thing ever and I could not love Phish more than I do. Answer: No, it is nothing like a show.

WTF June 13, 2014, 01:45:49

It doesn’t take a PhD to know that the last time it was worth it to go on tour with Phish was 15 years ago.

HaHaHa June 13, 2014, 01:46:47

Her Kickstarter campaign should be to build a time machine so she can see Phish back when they were good!