Published: 2014/06/23

Phish Hint at New Halloween Tradition

Phish’s Trey Anastasio and Page McConnell sat down with NPR to discuss all things Fuego as the band readies for the release of their twelfth studio album due out June 24. Highlights of the nine-minute piece include the two discussing recording in The Barn with Bob Ezrin as well as inspirations behind various tunes including the title track.

One other bit of note includes McConnell revealing a potential new tradition on Halloween. “Doing our own album was a liberating experience for me. I wonder if we’ll look to start a new tradition.” On past Halloween cover sets, Anastasio said, “I think everybody kind of got a little sick of it, so the last couple of years it started to feel like a trap we had built.”

Listen to the full interview with Trey and Page here via NPR.

Comments

wat June 23, 2014, 11:11:05

So this means they will play a set of new Dad Rock-Lite every Halloween now? Phish can’t go as hard as Steely Dan, they may need to aim their sights lower if they’re trying to go this direction.

Moose June 23, 2014, 11:14:10

Dressing up as yourself on Halloween is about as much fun as egging your house on mischief night. Stick to the costumes.

Moose knows June 23, 2014, 11:17:00

Moose you are so right.
It would be epcot if Trey came out the gates swinging on Halloween in a Junkie Trey costume and actually brought the heat.

Dave the slave June 23, 2014, 11:17:17

Well, I for one do not care what they play, so long as they play. There is no better band on Earth, and while some entitled Phish fans might bitch and complain about a non-cover set (really? LOL you’re bitching because they don’t play covers? WOW), the reality is that these shows will be excellent no matter what they play. Unless it’s Wombat, that song completely blows. I would do anything to get there. I recently started cooking again, AND I am for sure going to the gathering this year. I haven’t gotten laid in a while, so I will definitely be hitting up some mosh pits in full face makeup to see what kind of fatties I can land. There is something about the combination high humidity, lack of proper bathing facilities, and obese women that I find to be completely irresistible. I bet I’m not the only one, either. If I can get something like this I will be in heaven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgBpyNH6wI

Willie June 23, 2014, 11:21:16

I’m guessing they are talking about doing the “classic album” show that has become popular in recent years. I’d be very surprised if they had a new album very year. More likely that they’d do Picture of Nectar or some other album front to back as their second set.

Steve June 23, 2014, 11:26:53

I hope Mule aren’t sick of Halloween covers yet.

dave the slave June 23, 2014, 11:31:04

My clone needs an intervention. The Halloween set was the only half way decent music they would play all year. Their own stuff is just crap and everyone knows it. Well except for all the wookies who are so blasted out of their minds they couldn’t tell music from a garbage disposal. Stay strong Phish pans.
Your friend Dave the Slave.

G June 23, 2014, 11:36:37

LOL @ Moose and Wat…good luck with those ticket sales boys. I’ll probably pass on couch tour as well

Daren Criswell June 23, 2014, 11:36:57

Great Video Dave The Slave!!!

BigRig June 23, 2014, 12:07:34

Phish on….. Go pick some cotton Dave

lolPhish June 23, 2014, 12:38:47

Phish is such a joke nowadays, they need to be opening for Dumphrey’s McGay now.

marbelized June 23, 2014, 12:40:39

The one thing Phish should refrain from doing is listening to their idiotic fanbase (I count as one of them). Phish should instead follow where they feel the music is leading them. After all, that’s what got them to the pinnacle in the first place.

Clive Bigsby June 23, 2014, 12:54:32

Good, it’s time to shake things up a bit. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the year holds for Phish.

phish plans are phags June 23, 2014, 13:22:47

I hope they continue to break the hearts of gnewbs and vets alike. Worst fan base ever.

phish phans are phags June 23, 2014, 13:24:14

Dave the slave June 23, 2014, 13:36:31

100% chance that anyone who is complaining will be at the next show in their area smiling and running like antelopes out of control in the hopes of seeing some stage diving by dudes in wingsuits.

clive bugsby June 23, 2014, 13:47:26

Dave you should jump off a mountain in a wingsuit asshole.

Boathouse Mang June 23, 2014, 13:47:46

Phish’s fanbase is pretty terrible but in no way close to as bad as all these faggot flat-brimming mahldawg crushing dickcheese bands like Bisco, Spun Tribe et.al

Dave the slave June 23, 2014, 13:57:50

If I wasn’t a poor ass peasant, I would absolutely jump off a mountain in a wingsuit. But I cannot afford one. All of my money currently goes towards supporting my meth habit and getting to the Gathering of the Juggalos, in that order. Well really, those two goals actually sort of work together as getting to the Gathering would mean I would not be far from just piles of meth. would probably fly hella far in a wingsuit if I jumped off of a mountain considering my meth habit has diminished me to around 115 lbs. I have recently begun prepping my body for use by trasvestites for around $20 a pop. That has involved large amounts of syrup that I have stolen from the Starbuck’s across from the abandoned building I share with several stray pit bulls in Detroit. Right now it takes two pumps of sugar-free vanilla to allow my anus to accommodate 3 fingers, which for all you math wizzes out there equates to a 2:3 syrup-fingers ratio. The one variable that cannot be accounted for in that equation is the stretchability of my bunghole, although I am working feverishly to figure that out.

brotherbill June 23, 2014, 14:05:12

3 nights of Halloween at Cincy Phish camp (US Bank Arena) They can play anything they want!

Andy June 23, 2014, 14:18:29

Wow, so much hate here. If you dislike Phish so much, go spend your time listening to another band. I for one, enjoy their music and enjoy my time at shows. We all have our different preferences… why waste your energy trying to influence/change something that has been so positive for so many folks

Dave the slave June 23, 2014, 14:51:45

That ratio is crucial to nail down as in order to maximize my profits and ensure my touring dreams, I need to be able to accommodate 5 dudes at the same time. That’s one in each hand, one in mouth, and two down below. I have developed a makeshift apparatus specifically for this purpose. Think about it. 5 dudes at a time, / 5 minutes/dude, x $20/dude, x 60min/hr = $1200/hour potential profit. That is some serious scratch my friends. In a couple days I could have enough to last me the entire tour. Problems are attracting enough clientele and I have not taken into account restroom breaks.

Jason king June 23, 2014, 15:02:57

Playing your own (lame) album for Halloween is about as creative as going as yourself for Halloween. Blech.

Kramer June 23, 2014, 15:27:45

Dave, very funny, but really u should find something better to do than ramble away on message boards and try to piss off phish fans. Maybe write a book. You’re creative for sure, but obviously very bored with your life.

Dave the slave June 23, 2014, 15:33:01

I am not trying to upset phish phans, I love phish and their phans.

Noodles June 23, 2014, 15:49:10

Dave, take it to 3 minutes and your tour is covered, literally. Phish only needs to play (not headline fests, just play) about 25 -30 shows a year and all members would mint the magic 1mm after costs done right. This is about the same for most mature rock n roll jam acts, touring bands with biz models decades in the baking. They really don’t have to entertain us at all, and could decide to just relax, but wouldn’t that suck? Point, Dave needs to get it down to three minutes to listen to said music live.

Daniel the dingo boy Morris June 23, 2014, 15:58:19

Dave the Slave…
dude where is davetheslave.net???
people will pay for clever banter, wit and HUMOR

Ratman June 23, 2014, 16:18:33

COME TO NEW ORLEANS.

Roose June 23, 2014, 16:22:53

who cares? they pretty much gave up doing real tours. Just webcast it and i’ll watch from home

beau nuss June 23, 2014, 18:13:33

i banged your mom.

Ice Ice Baby June 23, 2014, 18:21:40

I have a feeling Dave the Slave pulls off to naked pictures of his father.

jp June 23, 2014, 19:16:58

I hope they continue to shun the Halloween cover album. The meltdowns are fantastic

dc June 24, 2014, 04:19:18

who’s the administrator on this site that allows this feeble-minded drivel to post here?...leave it for phantasy tour where it belongs—-everyone’s pissing in the wind there

ike June 25, 2014, 23:37:14

Phish is the best band on earth ! They can play what ever they want as long as they show up and play I’ll show up and listen

Tour Hound July 2, 2014, 02:35:59

What’s next, $100.00 yawn tickets? Way past time to drop the tweezer, or at least the reprise…who the fuck finds that entertaining?
A reprise should be a surprise, not a standard.
Boring.