Published: 2014/06/30

Man Dies at Electric Forest

An investigation is underway after a 20-year-old reportedly died at this year’s Electric Forest Festival. Fox 17 is reporting that the victim Brian Brockette, was a volunteer at the festival and passed away on Sunday night.

The police report suggests that Brockette’s death could be the result of foul play. In total, the Oceana County Sheriff’s Department reported 20 arrests related to the festival, with fourteen made on site.

Comments

timmy June 30, 2014, 20:34:15

Probably some shady wook dealers involved. Scum of the fucking earth. Anyone have some pesticide?

not surprising June 30, 2014, 20:45:18

Cheese- do us all a favor and fucking stop throwing this edm brofest filled with high schoolers. The original Rothbury was amazing and some of your more loyal fans might start attending your festivals again if you bring in some good music. Sincerely,
old school cheese fan

timmy June 30, 2014, 20:52:26

^completely agree

Like yeah man June 30, 2014, 21:54:00

This like is only like cuz of EDM and SCI. Like screw them. I lost a friend at a regular Phish show and it didn’t even make the news but like yeah SCI sucks man at that EDM stuff is killa like fall 97 Phish. The undeniable fact is at this point SCI is dealing with throwing a major festival when they come to Michigan. Tons of bands, 30k people with vending and with that comes problems. It’s a numbers game at this point at all festivals. Phish is lucky in that respect in 2014. They won’t have as many worries playing to the 4500 people that will show up at DTE in a few weeks for the Sing Monica Summer tour 2014 Michigan stop. It’s about numbers and partying and has little to do with SCI or EDM, but like yeah Timmy you got it brosephus hahahahaha. Timmy better get some anti viral for that killer EDM and hippie date from SCI. Finger dragger go trip your nose hairs;>

oBjUaN June 30, 2014, 22:09:14

People need to stfu. First off the bands have little to do with how out of hand the people in the crowd get. SCI Fidelity/Mad House AEG now, literally have one of, if not the best reputation for putting on festivals. People who have been to EFF, Hornings, Any New Years, Wanee, Bill Graham or any other big run or festival put on by them will tell you it is put on better than most. By no means is the lot scene or anything that goes on in it up to the festival. It is the county and if you have been to Rothbury, you will notice it is quite conservative, but once you are inside there are literally no rules in the lots. The festival itself inside is as nice as it gets and was again this year. But yeah EDM was being played so yeah, I mean yeah.

Captain Obvious June 30, 2014, 23:29:20

They may have tons of EDM at Rothbury now, but by no means is it some mahl dawgz EDM crowd. It is a general show crowd that you will see at any rock concert with no different amount of substances than any festival and less than any East Coast Festival. The one notable exception I have seen over the years is a shi@&oad of high power doses. Everyone at that festival is gushing doses in that Sherwood area. It’s the craziest fucking shit around yet in the most chill atmosphere ever. Could be foul play could be bath salts could be an infected rectum. We simply can’t derive boundless conclusions based on endless supposition.

timmy July 1, 2014, 00:44:41

@like yeah man. Pretty sure I was bashing The parasitic human scum that are wookie dealers, No2 mafia etc. Not SCI. The shallow, stupid, EDM scene is another story entirely. Dealers/wooks infest festivals like flies to shit. They come to buy, sell, steal, cheat, fight, fuck and whatever else brain dead zombies do at a festival of music that they could care less about. But I guess the world needs lawyers like you to defend them. Do you defend rapists as well?

MarZaPhiGar July 1, 2014, 01:19:59

Last Furthur show? 02/19/2010
Last Phish? 06/04/2009
DBs? 07/19/2008
Panic? 11/01/03
moe? 07/26/03
STS9? 08/10/02
Guess what? Haven’t missed ANY of it, not one stinkin little bit. TOTAL waste of time, $$$, and brain cells. BELIEVE me, back in the day I could not concveive of skipping ANY show/ festie within 300 miles. Fuck that shit.

Barefoot_Fan July 1, 2014, 09:49:06

You get that many people together in one place and once person dies I think you call that a good day. They are trying to make something out of nothing here. I feel bad that someone died, but one person out of 40,000 plus.

Randy Floyd July 1, 2014, 10:04:41

good point Barefoot. if 40K attended with only 1 death, statistically that’s a life expectancy of 109.6 years over the population of the festival. not too shabby for a bunch of wooks and high school EDM fans

rob July 1, 2014, 10:54:28

people die all over every day, and if there was that many people at the forest and only one person died, its a statistic. nothing to do with the forest or anything involved there. he probably died having the time of his life anyway. on a side note, I was assaulted by a 45+ year old man with huge muscles and twice my size, who looked like he was methed out or something because on sunday night around 1 Am, i spent my last $10 to try to feed my girlfriend and I and got cafeteria quality cold chicken nuggets and fries, with no ketchup left or salt or pepper. I threw the food back down on the counter saying “this was my last $10, and this blows”....apparently the husband of the woman i threw it at came and chased me down and grabbed me and threw me around and then proceeded to punch me right in the face and hit my girlfriend too. if anyone saw this fight or has pictures/videos/comments email me at misfitsrob@gmail.com I could have gotten this guy arrested. It was at the Tripolee stage while GTA played on Sunday night near the Chicken Fingers/Fries vending stand.. right in front of it. I know poeple around me were all watching this guy freaking the fuck out, twice my size, trying to fight someone who has never fought anyone before in their life. if you have any comments/videos/pictures of this let me know.

steve b July 1, 2014, 11:36:54

hate to say this but id prefer to hear that this was an OD and not another Vibes incident… these nitrous hoodrats need to be given a bottle full of doses and litereally get lost.The scene in Central fuckin Park after phil was disgusting…. give them all some heavy doses and let them wander into the subway tracks and think the 3rd rail is a hand rail.. see ya! Theyre scum and just want to fight people, make the $20 on a few baloons and watch their loyal custies fall out, crack their heads and beg for another.

MG July 1, 2014, 11:54:19

every comment sounds stupid. someone pass’s away and it becomes all about yourselves.

TeeDubs July 1, 2014, 14:37:49

You have smoked yourself into an apathetic hole of oblivion if you truly believe that it’s acceptable for 1 person to die whenever 40,000 people gather. That’s like saying it’s fine if 2 people die whenever your local football team plays.

debbie downer July 2, 2014, 09:06:19

Spot on TeeDubs. Spot on. It is not cool that someone died at a music fest. Period. It is easy to say that String Cheese is not at fault. I assume they are great dudes who just love playing music….BUT their music is what encourages this atmosphere and creates this world. While most of us go to shows and festivals, see our favorite bands, and maybe discover a couple new ones….SOME of our peers are unable to control themselves. And this environment encourages bad behavior. I won’t speculate on the details of this, but starting with the rumor that some dude had his throat slit while at EFF, as a grown ass adult I have no interest in going to a Cheese show or one of their festivals. You will not see this shit at a Tedeschi Trucks show. There are still bands out there that put on a party that is about the music and not about letting the circus loose.

timmy July 2, 2014, 13:47:20

All it really comes down to is making decisions on where you go, who you surround yourself with, and what you put in your body. The bands that perform at any festival are exactly 0% responsible for the behavior of anybody. The “scenes” that crop up around certain music are what they are. We all choose to go, or not knowing what we’re getting ourselves in to. However, I do wish there was more of a united front against the predatory sketchballs that infest a lot of these festivals. I realize that is quite a broad term, but to me it just comes down to behavior. If you are at a fest for the music, great. If you are there only to party, I don’t get it, but that’s your business if you’re not hurting anyone. If you are there to lie, cheat, steal, use, and/or fuck with other people in anyway, do us all a favor and swallow some cyanide. We all take time out of our busy lives to travel far, and enjoy ourselves. To shit all over that experience, makes you an enemy, and you should be treated as such. That’s all. Happy listening to all this summer!