Published: 2014/07/06

Umphrey’s McGee Closes Colorado Run with Thrilling Red Rocks Show

Umphrey’s McGee played a sold-out show at the famed Red Rocks last night, their first ever. The two-set show was not lacking on heavy hitters from the group’s catalog as well a selection of new material from their latest album Similar Skin.

The first set would include a new intro in “Lucid State,” a composed piece that focuses more on the band’s new rock band identity. Later in the set, Umphrey’s jammed on “Gents,” a popular selection from their “Raw Stewage” quarter at this year’s UMBowl, during a massive “Ocean Billy” that was followed by their heaviest of heavy hitters—“All in Time.”

For the delicate, “End of the Road,” Jake Cinninger utilized Jerry Garcia’s Travis Bean TB500 guitar. The guitar, which was debuted at the Grateful Dead’s New Year’s Eve show in 1976, was played at more than 90 shows in the late ’70s and utilized while recording Terrapin Station. Per Joel Cummins on Twitter, a friend of the band owns the guitar now and brought it out to the gig.

After “End of the Road,” the band dug into a new Similar Skin track, “Educated Guess” for the first time. The complex tune that Brendan Bayliss has compared to “Mantis” was executed with precision and pulled off before the fun “Hollywood Nights” closed the set.

Highlights from the second set included Big Gigantic’s Dominic Lalli helping the band out on the new tune “Bad Friday,” which has garnered highly favorable reviews since its debut at the New Year’s run in Denver, CO last December. “Dump City,” “Slacker” and “Wappy Sprayberry” all contained huge jams (particularly the latter) before the band finished “JaJunk” to end the set.

Umphrey’s would invite Gabe Mervine and Matt Pitts as a part of a horn section and Jans Ingber of The Motet, who opened the show alongside Moon Taxi, for a cover of The Band’s “Ophelia.” While Moon Taxi didn’t appear for a collaboration, Umphrey’s did close the show with their own “Hajimemashite” and the end jam of “Bridgeless.”

In other Umphrey’s McGee news, the band confirmed their annual Halloween run this year with a two-night run at Boston’s House of Blues on October 31-November 1. The band will once again present their Monster Mashup event. More details are expected to be announced soon.

Here’s a look at the setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section:

Umphrey’s McGee
Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO

Set I: Lucid State1 > Conduit > Cut the Cable, JaJunk > Ocean Billy > Gents2 > Ocean Billy, All In Time, End of the Road, Educated Guess1, Hollywood Nights

Set II: Little Gift, Bridgeless > Bad Friday3, Dump City, Slacker, Wappy Sprayberry > JaJunk

Encore: Ophelia4, Hajimemashite > Bridgeless

Notes: [1] debut, original
[2] partial
[3] with Dominic Lalli on saxophone
[4] with Gabe Mervine on trumpet, Matt Pitts on saxophone, and Jans Ingber on vocals

Source: allthings.umphreys.com

Comments

Jimmy July 6, 2014, 14:17:07

Thank you for the info on Jerry’s guitar that Jake played last night! Surreal

Umphan July 6, 2014, 17:05:38

I couldn’t go but I heard the stream at the tanning shop I work at. That was dope man. Cinnigar is better than Garcia the Junkie, so when I saw my twitter blow up from Old like Joel about that guitar I laughed about it. To think Cinnigar or Baylice could respect a sloppy bag of junk like Garcia with their level of artistry makes me chuckle. I was dancing at the reception desk at our shop to Bad Friday. Does that song remind anyone else of a way way better Emminence Front? Me too. Its hard, so hard, when I cannot see the boys. I always note on my setlists what hat Strastik wears lol shoot me. I am sure everybody at Phish Saratoga kept checking their twitter and facebook in show to see what our real band, \/\/\/, was doing.

From UM Marketing July 6, 2014, 19:15:19

Does UM pay for or provide Jambands.com with their reviews. I was at Red Rocks and it was not sold out. Why is that in the article? At no time was it sold out and you could get half priced tickets in the lot. From in the venue the entire top section was wide open? I would say it was 2/3 full. Nice showing. Nervous show by the band. Ridiculous to say that was sold out though guys.

J July 6, 2014, 20:24:59

@ Umphan options are like assholes. If you don’t have anything nice to say it would be in your best interest to keep yours closed. Without Garcia a lot of bands would not have existed at all.

rocks July 6, 2014, 21:01:15

For the person who was at red rocks above. The venue is sold as, one person per seat. When the first 20 rows are two to three deep per seat, it has got to be empty other places. People stand and dance on the side platforms at the bottom. The wonder of red rocks is that it accomadates so much for all types of listening\viewing preferences. Place could definitely sell out and not feel crammed and packed

rocks July 6, 2014, 21:01:16

Devin July 6, 2014, 21:03:15

I was actually at the show last night, so I’m just going to correct the comment from “UM Marketing” — the show was definitely sold out. Every seat was full all the way up to the top and there were signs that said ‘SOLD OUT’ at every parking lot entrance. If you found half-price tickets in the lot, then you did well for yourself considering all of the fingers I saw in the air outside.

Dan Raz July 7, 2014, 02:12:30

I know that many people look down on Jerry Garcia, and some won’t even seek him out. Nonetheless, he brought something to the guitar that I haven’t heard anybody else achieve. And there’s no justifiable way to describe it.

Dan Raz July 7, 2014, 02:16:46

Put it this way: Jerry Garcia provided the blueprint. He may have been sloppy at times, he may have been a junkie and had drug problems, but he and the GD bridged the gap between Rock and jazz, created a band that continued to grow and change throughout its duration, and Phil brought the contrapuntal bass line to rock and roll. Simply put, without Garcia, we wouldn’t have Phish, UM, or any of these other bands that reinvent themselves on a nightly basis.

Danny July 7, 2014, 12:24:17

To the person who has conspiracy theories about UM marketing, you are crazy. I was at the show and there were signs all over that said SOLD OUT. People were everywhere looking for extra’s. Not sure how you could have missed that. As for the music, it was amazing. seen UM a hand full of times and this was one of the best shows ive seen all year for any band. These guys are flat out awesome. Def will be seeing more of them to come.

Bill July 8, 2014, 16:57:44

Wow. To compare UM and GD is laughable. I’ll bet many a UM fan was no where to be found at GD shows prior to Jerry’s passing.

RT July 8, 2014, 18:43:45

I was at Grateful Dead shows before Jerry’s death, saw many a Phish show in the mid 90’s, and now see UM whenever I can. I was at Red Rocks in 2011 for UM and will be there next year. All three bands are completely different, but the latter two have taken over for what The Grateful Dead started, and Jake playing Jerry’s guitar and the kind words and respect he showedafterwards was awesome!

umphfreakin July 16, 2014, 20:12:48

Check out Stuart’s Giant! Great up and coming band!!!!!
http://www.facebook.com/stuartsgiant \M/

i_am_okay July 17, 2014, 18:00:39

I have tried many times over the years. I just can’t make it happen. UM is soft. I have no other way to say it. Technical proficiency doesn’t equal soul. Sorry. As for UMPhan, history my friend. Read your history.