Published: 2014/07/10

Tour Debuts, Covers Highlight Phish’s Second Night at The Mann

Phish treated fans to a number of tour debuts and a few covers last night during the second show of their two-night stand at The Mann Center for the Performing Arts in Philadelphia.

The band opened their show with 2014’s first “Glide,” which was also the only version of the song to appear somewhere other than Madison Square Garden during the 3.0 era. The first set continued with the Fuego track “Sing Monica” before “Birds of a Feather” and “Wolfman’s Brother.” Next came a trio of tour debuts, as “Sugar Shack,” “Alaska” and the relatively rare “McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters” all made their first appearances of the year. The rest of the set also featured 2014’s first “Horn” and “Silent in the Morning” (the 9th consecutive time that the song has been played without “Horse”) before coming to a close with an exciting “Run Like an Antelope.”

Phish came out the gate strong with a 17+ minute, unfinished “Chalkdust Torture” to open the second set. The tune segued into “Wingsuit,” which was followed by another Fuego track, “Winterqueen.” The band’s no-cover streak was definitively broken when the band transitioned “Twist” into Talking Heads’ “Crosseyed and Painless” before moving on to “Waste,” “Mike’s Groove” and a set-closing “Sneakin’ Sally Through the Alley.” Phish then completed the “Mike’s Groove” during the encore as “Julius” segued into a “Weekapaug Groove” finale.

Phish return to the stage on Friday when they kick off their three-night run at Randall’s Island in New York City.

Thursday, July 9, 2014, Phish, Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA

Set I: Glide, Sing Monica, Birds of a Feather, Wolfman’s Brother, Sugar Shack, Alaska, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan, Horn, Devotion To a Dream, Silent in the Morning, Run Like an Antelope

Set II: Chalk Dust Torture* > Wingsuit, Winterqueen, Twist > Crosseyed and Painless > Waste > Mike’s Song > Sneakin’ Sally Through the Alley

Enc: Julius > Weekapaug Groove

Notes: * unfinished

Source: www.phish.net

Comments

Dave the slave July 10, 2014, 11:03:56

Well at least they are playing covers. That should ease the pain of 3.0. Have fun on tour wookies.

Aaron July 10, 2014, 11:48:37

Can someone please ban “dave the slave” already. What kind of loser spends his time bashing a band he doesn’t like? Why don’t you start your own band and play “good music” if you think Phish sucks so much? Let me guess, you’re a talentless piece of shit waste of space who can’t think of anything more creative to do than to spend you’re time bashing Phish from the comfort of your mommy and daddy’s basement. Go create something or contribute something of value and then maybe, if you’re lucky, 30 years from now you’ll be famous enough to attract dipshits like yourself who will bash you and make fun of you because they have nothing better to do with their wasted lives. Retard.

Peachhead July 10, 2014, 12:00:32

Phish fans are so sensitive

Dave the slave July 10, 2014, 12:06:20

Well Aaron, how do you really feel? On another note around 200 arrests at SPAC. Outstanding Phish Phan. Keep up the good work.

Rybo July 10, 2014, 12:06:32

Don’t use the word retard. Also, Dave is a piece of shit.

Beargonefishing July 10, 2014, 12:07:04

Yea. Phish fans know their band has turned to trash. Can you imagine if your band put out garbage like fuego and then played 20-25 shows a year with way inflated tic prices. Then wouldn’t stream to fans like WSMFP? On top of that they play half repeats of greatest hits in each city they play. You would be a little sensitive and grouchy too!

KB July 10, 2014, 12:15:19

I love both phish and widespread, but bears, inflated ticket prices? They are within 10 bucks of Panic tickets these days and you get a download of each show you buy a ticket to so it’s a wash. I went to Panic at Red Rocks this year and let me tell ya, Panic was flat. Friday was good but Saturday and Sunday were throwaways. It’s a shame that these stories end up devolving into negative mud throwing. I say this with peace and love…

the seanster July 10, 2014, 12:33:15

WOOOOO! PHISH RULES! Life is so much better when they’re on tour!

alex July 10, 2014, 12:53:49

It’s okay if you don’t like phish. You don’t have to try and convince others to dislike them too, though.

Let's Go Caps July 10, 2014, 13:06:32

I love both Phish and Panic and see them both as often as I can. That being said, Phish is playing new original music these days. The same can not be said of WSP.

not Davetheslave July 10, 2014, 14:25:30

Panic has a deep repertoire, mostly covers on tour. Not many originals along the way. Phish also has a huge repertoire, plenty of originals though. Panic is lacking in the originality world. PLUS have you ever listened to Todd Nance? He has been playing the same beats at different tempo on his kit since 1998. Sonny is the color guy in that band. WSMFP has become more of Widespread Metronome Feeling Panic. Not a Panic hater by any means, it’s tiring to listen to the same beats and watching the same show every night.

Daniel the dingo boy Morris July 10, 2014, 17:05:15

Pussy Fart 2014

KB July 10, 2014, 17:05:52

Not Dave, I agree. Todd used to drive the train and dictated almost everything. Back in the late 90’s and early 00’s he was unstoppable and reminded me of the force that Butch Trucks brings to the table. Lately, he’s been dragging badly. The drums sections at Red Rocks this year were like a slap in the face. It made me sad, I was almost embarrassed for him and I hate that feeling. I’m not sure what’s going on with him, but I sure do hope he can snap out of it. I love me some panic, I love me some phish, I love me some good music…We are all really lucky that many of these bands are still out there slugging it out. It would be a bleak landscape without them.

Ginja-Ninja July 10, 2014, 20:48:16

Comparing or even mentioning Panic and Phish is not needed. We are glad you like them and wish during phish tour you would go see Panic more. Don’t forget your JD and too beat up your own friends after/during the show. At least new englands favorite bar band knows theyll never make it (Creek). Whats the deal w/ these shitty fucking bands that people try to sell to us as real music… MOEtards, and … whats that other one? It’s just not good music sorry.

NotDavetheSlave July 10, 2014, 22:50:37

This site and these ridiculous quotes, mine included, would not exist without phish and panic. Cheese deserves merit as they have been around, even more because they haven’t made “sellout your fans” status yet. Smart guys. Play here and there, do a couple festivals local and international. They may have more pride in their work. In any case, it’s fine to mention panic and phish in the same story. Both are great bands, both have herds of wooks following them, both have great music, both have struggled separated reunited, both continue to tear it up on the road every night. I hope when I am 50 plus I’ll be add happy with what I’m doing as they are. They all do what they love, are philanthropic, are good at what they do. AND, admit it for once. At some time in your life, you loved both, got tired, moved to the next one, came back and now you have a choice. I choose great live music that we can all share. Jus sayin

Scott July 11, 2014, 08:23:52

They did “Silent” without “The Horse?”