Published: 2014/07/12

Phish Kick Off Randall’s Island Run in New York City

Phish delved into a few lengthy jams as they kicked off their three-night run at New York City’s Randall’s Island yesterday. The weather was serene at the outdoor venue when the band took the stage to open with decent takes on “The Moma Dance” and “Kill Devil Falls” before going into the first “Ya Mar” of the tour. The tune was followed by the highlight of the first set, an 18-minute, exploratory “Bathtub Gin” that sent the crowd into a frenzy. Next came a trio of segues as “555” moved into “Rift,” “Sample In a Jar” and a “The Wedge” that was followed by the night’s second Fuego track, “Waiting All Night.” The set then came to a close with an exciting “Stash” that saw guitarist Trey Anastasio tease the theme music from The Munsters for the second time this tour. The song also gave lighting designer Chris Kuroda his first chance to really shine as the sun retreated behind the city skyline.

Phish kicked off their second set with the first “Steam” of 2014. The low-key funk made for a solid opener, though it didn’t reach the high bar set by the previous version from last year’s Madison Square Garden run. Despite its near 12-minute length, the song seemed to diffuse early as the band segued into the show’s second big highlight, a stellar 19-minute “Down With Disease” that was the night’s most confident jam. The song also saw the return of the “woo,” as the band made room for the divisive crowd chant before switching gears into the year’s first cover of TV on the Radio’s “Golden Age.” The song was followed by a fairly uninspired “Limb By Limb” before the band surprised everyone with yet another rendition of “Fuego.” While the song was well-received, it never came to close to becoming the monster that appeared during the band’s recent shows at SPAC and The Mann Center. Next, a seamless transition into “David Bowie” caught the crowd pleasantly off guard as the band delivered a solid version of the tune before closing out the set with “Cavern.” A “Character Zero” encore then wrapped things up.

Phish will return to the stage tonight for the second show of their Randall’s Island run.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores page:

Friday, July 11, 2014, Phish, Randall’s Island, New York City

Set I: The Moma Dance, Kill Devil Falls, Ya Mar, Bathtub Gin, 555 > Rift > Sample in a Jar > The Wedge, Waiting All Night, Stash

Set II: Steam > Down with Disease > Golden Age > Limb By Limb > Fuego > David Bowie, Cavern

Enc: Character Zero

Source: www.phish.net

Comments

Charles DeWeese July 12, 2014, 14:02:10

I saw Aerosmith at Jones Beach Thursday night. I was watching Joe Perry and Brad Whitford jam on Same Old Song and Dance and Rats In The Cellar. My thought was, “Wow these guys really outplay Phish.”

Mr Random July 12, 2014, 14:37:04

Chuck, I feel bad for you dude.

Dave the slave July 12, 2014, 15:26:05

I was at Randall’s island last night and had a great time. I actually went home with two dudes and proceeded to fellate one while the other one poked around my dupa. My homosexuality knows no bounds.

Dave the slave July 12, 2014, 16:16:40

What ever gets you through the night clone. I personally wouldn’t go near a Phish show even if I had a free ticket. I don’t know how they can charge what they do for the crappy music they play. While I am not a big Aerosmith fan they are better players and write better material than Phish. I mean is that really in doubt? Hope you Phish phans are having fun playing those stupid Relix games and playing hide and seek with the police. Stay strong Phish Phans and try and be safe you wookies.

Still Waiting July 12, 2014, 16:38:16

Very fun show if you weren’t waiting on line for concessions. First time at Randall’s Island. Venue organizers should be embarrassed.30 minute waits for a beverage are just unacceptable. Hope accomodations are improved for tonight.

bill July 12, 2014, 18:47:56

In this day and age do we have to pick on dave the slave homosexual behavor. It dosent effect you so let him be.

KB July 13, 2014, 00:45:43

Still Waiting…that sucks and can really drag a show experience down. I have sworn off The Ashvellile Civic Center for that exact same reason. I don’t care who plays there, I’m never going back in that dump again. If you can’t sustain a drinking crowd, don’t accept their money and don’t put on the show. The last time I was there was to see Panic in the fall. The house music was “Sampson and Delilah” and the chorus says it all, “If I had my way, I’d tear this old building down.”

dmoney July 13, 2014, 09:32:29

I have sworn off WSP they suck donkey dick.

bill July 13, 2014, 12:55:57

With the super high prices i drink b4 i head in plus they never have colt45.

bill July 13, 2014, 12:55:58

With the super high prices i drink b4 i head in plus they never have colt45.

Todd July 13, 2014, 14:22:34

Carful of traps set up on foot bridge, got 25$ ticket for open container

Dawn Kebolds July 14, 2014, 10:54:58

Yo dmoney, you suck donkey balls and your mother takes care of the cock!