Published: 2014/07/15

Phish Make Their Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon Debut with "Waiting All Night" and "Fuego"

Phish made their debut on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon last night when they dropped by the studio to play a couple of songs from their new album, Fuego. The band delivered a straightforward rendition of “Waiting All Night” for the television broadcast, while a 9+ minute version of the LP’s title track was played for the show’s website. The appearance marked the first time that the band had performed on Fallon’s Tonight Show, though they did make an appearance on Leno’s Tonight Show back in 2000. The band also has some history with Fallon, who was a member of the Saturday Night Live cast when Phish played “Contact” on the show in 2002 and they performed both “Loving Cup” and “Kill Devil Falls” on Fallon’s Late Night program in 2009.

The taping itself, which took place a few hours before the broadcast, also featured some interesting banter between the band, the host and the crowd. At one point, a member of the audience shouted “Cheesecake,” which Fallon assumed was a Phish song. The host asked those in the crowd to refrain from making requests before guitarist Trey Anastasio said, “we always take requests, as long as its Icculus.”

Comments

On the bus July 15, 2014, 21:11:22

But this song is horrible. If phish played shit like this in the 90s, today there would be no such thing as phish.

Dave the slave July 15, 2014, 10:53:05

Ahh, Randall’s, how I miss you already. If only I could have been in the audience for this performance. Heaven, it would have been. I still haven’t slept since Randall’s. What a time. Life changing. The abandoned building I had been living in was raided by the police when one of the junkies on the first floor jabbed himself with a hit spike and died. Luckily, I had just finished cooking my latest batch of meth before the swat team arrived, and I was able to take it all with me when I bailed out of the fire escape. From there I decided to hitch hike to Randall’s island, and I will never regret it. I didn’t have much money so I traded an 8 ball for a ticket and got in. The first night I smoked a few grams straight to my head and went to the show. If you’ll recall, my previous girlfriend had become dangerously obese and had been hospitalized indefinitely for forced weight loss. Well, I’ve been pretty lonely, and the universe opened up her vulva and birthed me a new girlfriend. I was packed in the crowd, when I felt that familiar pillowy warmth that I know so well begin to engulf me. Sure enough, there was the finest woman I’ve ever laid eyes on. Hair dyed purple, but short, thin, and greasy. Fat rolls on the back of her neck. And at least 400 lbs. We hit it off immediately, and I convinced her to get us up to the rail. She was a juggernaut through the crowd, tossing aside lesser people with a force similar to a freight train hitting a washing machine. I wrapped my arms around her as far a they’d go and held on for the ride. Needless to say, lots of impolite stares and comments, but I got within 10 feet of Trey, a dream come true.

Wookalike July 15, 2014, 11:08:20

Ahh young lust

Dave the slave July 15, 2014, 11:51:59

Clone you need some help, but a much better effort. P.S. the two shits given was very funny.

me July 15, 2014, 11:59:27

“ tossing aside lesser people with a force similar to a freight train hitting a washing machine”... the imagery is classic… too bad the real Dts is such talentless dumb fuck that he is unable to come up with such wit! But, alas, there is someone with the same moniker who actually entertains… thanks! If the real Dts had gotten within 10 feet of Trey, you can be sure a stream with the power of a horse would have been filling his ear… and, for Dts, it still would have been a dream come true!

KB July 15, 2014, 13:26:01

I hate to admit it, but I am a fan of the DTS and DTS clone wars…funny shit.

EOTW July 15, 2014, 14:52:58

They also performed LOVING CUP on Fallon a few years ago. Probably too busy to really do any research.

mulebyrd July 15, 2014, 17:06:17

yes me think it funny too. deep down everybody like phish + GrAtEfUL dEaD even if they say they hate em. these bands are about a whirlwind of things and emotions, like joy and open-mindedness and forgiveness and freedom. they juss really weird bands. some juss don’t “get it” ON THE BUS OR OFF THE BUS !!!

NOh Time For EOTW July 15, 2014, 22:42:57

TONIGHT SHOW debut… but probably too busy to read the whole headline.

BeGoodMike July 16, 2014, 00:13:31

I actually did not care for this song until I heard it again tonite. Although super poppy, but hey thats phish these days they have nothing to prove.

WARMANDFUZZY July 16, 2014, 09:44:05

THERE’S NO WARM AND FUZZY HERE JUST A BUNCH OF COLD AND PRICKLIES!!

Jodski July 17, 2014, 01:04:42

Loved Waiting all night! Beautifully moving!