Published: 2014/07/17

Phish Take It Easy, Repeat "Fuego" in Clarkston, MI

Phish took it easy last night at the DTE Energy Music Theater in Clarkston, MI, as the band refrained from delving into the big jams that have highlighted their tour thus far. The show opened with a “Wolfman’s Brother” before moving on to the Fuego track “Devotion to a Dream.” A pair of tour debuts followed, as the band segued “Wilson” into “Poor Heart” before going into “The Moma Dance” and a “Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan” that featured a “Streets of Cairo” tease. The set continued with “Lawn Boy,” “Yarmouth Road,” “Rift,” and “The Line,” with the band finally closing out the set with an “It’s Ice” that transitioned into a “46 Days” that included a “Fuego” tease.

The second set began with a standard “Mike’s Song” that was followed by an 11-minute “Ghost” that would become the night’s longest jam. An unfinished “Prince Caspian” then segued into a lengthy “Backwards Down The Number Line” before moving into an unfinished “Weekapaug Groove.” Next, a quick “Cavern” turned into “Piper” as the tune became the first song to segue into “Waiting All Night.” The second set then came to a close with an uneventful “Tweezer” that surprisingly (or perhaps, not so surprisingly) transitioned into “Fuego,” marking the sixth time that the track has been played this tour. The song, which was also a repeat from the night before, stayed well within it’s comfort zone before turning into a set-ending “Tweezer Reprise.” The show then wrapped up with an encore that featured “2001” and a 10-minute “Possum.”

Phish will return to the stage tomorrow when they kick off their three-night run at Chicago Northerly Island.

Here’s a look at last night’s Phish setlist as it appears in our Box Scores

Wednesday, July 16, 2014, Phish, DTE Energy Music Center, Clarkston, MI

Set I: Wolfman’s Brother, Devotion To a Dream, Wilson > Poor Heart, The Moma Dance, Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan, Lawn Boy, Yarmouth Road > Rift, The Line, It’s Ice > 46 Days

Set II: Mike’s Song > Ghost > Prince Caspian* > Backwards Down the Number Line > Weekapaug Groove* > Cavern > Piper > Waiting All Night, Tweezer > Fuego > Tweezer Reprise

Enc: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Possum

Notes: *Unfinished

Source: www.phish.net

Comments

Cynical Hippie July 17, 2014, 11:59:20

They deserve a night of taking it easy. They bust their ass for the equivalent of two months a year playing music for a few hours at a time.

Craig July 17, 2014, 12:12:58

Yeah this was clearly not the best show of the tour but I have a feeling Chicago will knock it out the park. If SPAC or Randall’s are any indication, these three night runs are where the magic is gonna happen. Dicks will probably melt faces to the ground.

Dave the slave July 17, 2014, 12:17:24

Looks like a great second set to me, hard to understand why the author is complaining. As for me, I’m off tour for the moment gearing up for the Gatherling of the Juggalos in a couple weeks. Did Randal’s Island, but the Gathering is my true home festival. I made it back to Detroit staying with some kids I met at Randal’s, then I’m hooking up with some old homies to head out to the Gathering with. It ought to be good times. I’ve got my black and white face paint all ready and traded some meth for a whole bunch of Natural Ice. Best beer out there for my dollar, by far. None of us have much camping equipment, but we’re all used to taking dirt naps, and I have the special trick I learned where I wait for those big 50 gallon drum garbages to fill up, then remove the trash bag and use it as a mattress. This is surprisingly comfortable, especially if you get a trash bag near a food vendor. Only thing is you have to make sure to hide it out of site or the security can get upset. Well, that’s at other festivals, the Gathering is so hard core I doubt they’d care. Also working on getting rid of the little army that’s invaded the region beneath my underpants, but that is proving difficult. It’s as though they evolved in the center of Chernobyl reactor number 4 and are immune to lesser threats. It’s an ongoing thing.

Ezzulus July 17, 2014, 12:56:11

Dick’s will be tumescent

Poe July 17, 2014, 13:58:24

Tumescent…as in Dave the Slave’s commentary?

Band is saying no more Wookies July 17, 2014, 15:20:46

Fuego showing up 6 times on tour is the band’s way of saying, no more wookies. They don’t want you at the shows no more. They are trying to make you stay away. If the new material was any good, and it sounds like crap to me, they would just put it in regular rotation.

Tom July 18, 2014, 12:40:27

A night off the one show I can attend the whole tour? Thanks! Dont overbook shows if you cant bring the A game every night boys.

Johnny5 July 19, 2014, 07:33:57

This was no night off, easily one of the best shows of the tour so far. Cool weather and a relaxed vibe made for a great night!

Johnny5 July 19, 2014, 07:33:58