Published: 2014/07/21

Eddie Vedder Covers "Imagine" in Portugal Amid Controversy

Following Eddie Vedder’s comments during a Pearl Jam concert about the Israel/Palestine conflict, the singer took to the band’s website to pen an anti-war statement following the criticism he received after the rant. Many Israeli news outlets dubbed his comments as anti-Israel and fans in the country voiced their outrage directly to the band.

In the statement, he referenced John Lennon’s “Imagine” several times and, not surprising, he would cover the song for the first time ever. Before the performance, Vedder said he believed it is “the most powerful song ever written” and that is why he hadn’t played it before.

In other Vedder news, Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic commented on the controversy surrounding the frontman with a lengthy post on his blog. In it, Novoselic thanked Vedder for speaking out on the issue and urging peace. He closed the post with, “Thanks Eddie for sharing your feelings. I stand with you my friend!!!”

Comments

beezer July 21, 2014, 12:19:20

It’s funny how anytime you criticize Israeli foreign policy, you are anti-israeli and are demonized. If you don’t support everything Israel does, then your anti-israeli. A very lame way to prevent an honest debate on one countries actions.

yoav arden July 21, 2014, 12:39:44

my open letter to the band

Partieface July 21, 2014, 12:45:49

Beezer – I hear you. It’s just like if you disagree with President Obama you’re a racist.

Blah July 21, 2014, 13:28:32

Partieface/Beezer….totally right. There are plenty of racists that hate Obama and plenty of anti-semites that hate Israel, but that doesn’t mean opposing there policies automatically makes you a racist and/or anti-semite.

Joshua Katt July 21, 2014, 13:39:58

In the great words of Ringo, peace and love, peace and love. I’m warning you with peace and love…

joe July 21, 2014, 13:54:46

Fuck Israel! They should be blown off the map!

P.JAMGOODIN92 July 21, 2014, 14:00:10

just think if there was no god (which prob. there is not) these wars would be obsolete!!! They are all about god like all these fuckn wars! My god is better than your god! God gave me this fuckn land! Moses was on mushrooms when he saw the burning bush talking to him! (of course he was out of his mind!) I saw it on the history channel it all makes sense! He was so fucked up when he went up to mt. sinai he thought it was 40 days when it was prob. like 4 maximum! They don’t teach this in yeshivah that’s for fuckn sure! But i do defend the D.I.B.S in this situation the muslim world is really fucked! They use the inocent to hide the evil! Fuck them! Israel keep defending yourself what eva the case maybe! U asked them to stop the rockets but they refuse! So let’s play a little more missle command !!! Yours truely The D.I.B. from the U.S.A.!!

Rusty July 21, 2014, 16:03:17

Joe,
I know an excellent Anger Management program I think you could benefit from going to! You as well P.jamgood.
What happened to the peaceful hippie jamband crowd I once knew?

Chris July 21, 2014, 16:42:24

If being against Israeli policies is wrong, then dammit I don’t want to be right. Why should we give a damn what they think?