Published: 2014/07/21

Parliament/Funkadelic Drummer Dennis Chambers Hospitalized

Drummer Dennis Chambers, best known for his work with Steely Dan, Parliament/Funkadelic, Santana and others, is reportedly in the hospital.

Former bandmate Bootsy Collins confirmed via his Facebook page that Chambers is in intensive care due to his liver not functioning very well. Collins also said that Chambers is on a respirator and is surrounded by family.

Most recently, Chambers appeared last week with guitarist Mike Stern at Festival da Jazz in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

Comments

Marty Cushner July 21, 2014, 16:29:00

Best wishes for your recovery as fast as your incredible hands and feet…...AMAZING DRUMMER....but even a better person! Love to your wonderful mom and sister who were the conduit to us meeting back in the 90’s at Metro Broker Jewelers! And of course love and prayers to you and your fantastic wife whom I sat next to the 1st time I saw you at a club in d.c. and helped keep the wolves away from her until you were done…..in my book its Buddy Gene Neil and YOU on the drummers Mt. Rushmore!!

Frank Davila July 21, 2014, 23:31:18

Hey Dennis this is Katdaddy in San Antonio Texas, Sorry to hear about your situation . . . Everyone here is praying for you and sending you “BIG TEXAS LOVE” BROTHER . . . thanks for all you have done for me many times over the years and always your kind words . .My prayers go out to you for a healthy recovery . . .We need you back in back in the Saddle and in full force my friend. Plus the music needs you!! . . . .Take care my friend and all my best to your lovely family and close friends who are all by your side and praying . . . . We Love you Dennis . . . . Your Bud in San Antonio Texas Frank Davila aka “Katdaddy” . . . p.s. Can you believe it, we met back in 1989 Austin Texas 25 years ago . .“Time Flies” . . .Peace!

Randall Eaves July 22, 2014, 00:33:38

Best Wishes To The Family Of Dennis Chambers The Worlds Greatest Drummer & A Great Person My Prayers Go Out To You & Your Family I Feel Blessed To Have Been In Your Presents Your Legacy Will Live Forever I Will Never Forget What You Showed Me Love Forever Randy From Detroit Peace & Love…..

Kenny Aronoff July 22, 2014, 03:58:24

Dennis,
I wish you perfect health.. perfect health so you can play drums with your bad ass musician friends. That will make you very very happy.. And happy will make you very very Healthy…. Please make a full recovery so I can give you my Aronoff BEAR HUG... : )
Lot’s of love, Kenny Aronoff

Danny Lloret July 22, 2014, 08:27:32

Best wishes to Dennis. Hope and pray you get well.

Tony Archer July 22, 2014, 12:40:31

Hey Man!
Hope you’re feeling a little better!
If there’s a way possible of extracting any silver lining from this very difficult and Challenging moment in your life is witnessing and feeling the colossal out pouring of love, blessings and concern from your fans, friends and family members alike! Feeling BLESSED myself for knowing and being around you all these years has allowed me to see firsthand of the love and respect people have for you. I knew this all along! But this untimely episode has galvanized, beyond any shadow of a doubt, THE LOVE for Dennis Chambers! I think by saying that you represent our very own personal “ DRUM GOD” would be an understatement! BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY! We all need you alive and kicking Brother! It is often said that the GOOD LORD works in mysterious ways. But what I say is that, “the GOOD LORD has enough drummers upstairs to finish his gig”! PLEASE!! For now, leave Dennis alone! We all here need you NOW! My Dear Mr. Chambers, there is NO doubt! We the people LOVE YOU BIG TIME and we’re all looking forward to seeing you on stage again! You take care MY BROTHER! All of my best to you, Renee and family! PEACE and LOVE to you BRO!!!! Tony Archer

Chris DeLisa July 22, 2014, 16:03:33

What Tony Archer said!

David Wiggs July 22, 2014, 17:01:02

So glad you’re doing a bit better. From one of your long-time fans.

Tony "Thunder" Smith July 22, 2014, 18:04:55

Dennis, I’m so sorry to hear the news. We’ve known each other so long we’re like brothers.
I wish you a speedy recovery. You are an amazing Talent, (The Best). God bless you, Tony.

s1212z July 22, 2014, 19:23:20

All the best on your recovery Dennis. Rough week for drummers…

lawrence jones July 22, 2014, 22:37:06

Great drummer wish you a speedy recovery so you can continue playing hope to meet you one day for now I’m praying you heal and feel well god bless you and fam

Tommy De Martino July 22, 2014, 23:17:29

Dennis Wishing you a speedy recovery and good health.
Thank you for being a great inspiration to the drum world who will always be in awe of your major talent and heart.
You are truly a gift to the music scene but more importantly
A great human being. Bless you, all our prayers are with you and your family. Get well
Love and peace
Tommy D

Donald Roby July 22, 2014, 23:42:46

I am praying for you Dennis, I met you at a drum clinic in Memphis Tn, you took out time to enlighten me to some of you experiences on the road. I will never forget your concession and spirit.

Mr Bruce W.Atkinson July 23, 2014, 11:59:49

I was so sorry to here the news of your illness, even tho we have not seen each other in more than 20 years, we will always be close as brothers.My prayers and love to your mom, sister and your wife and kids. You know I feel about our friendship…...MUCH LOVE! Get well soon, you are much more than a great musican…..You are a much Greater Friend to the World!

Joseph Hernandez July 23, 2014, 16:23:53

Big bruh my idol healing hands of GOD covers you during this time of meditation. May you rest be somber and you get back on ur feet asap. I will pray for you with all my soul big bruh….

China de castro July 23, 2014, 19:00:53

DENNIS,MEU AMIGO.DESEJO QUE VOCE,SEJA ALCANÇADO PELO PODER DE CURA DO NOME E DO SANGUE DE CRISTO JESUS,A BATERIA COMEÇOU NA MINHA VIDA POR JESUS,MEU PROFESSOR E VOCE,QUE SE TORNOU MEU MAIOR ICONE NA MUSICA,DEPOIS QUE NOS CONHECEMOS,PASSEI A TE ADMIRAR MUITO MAIS,QUERIA MUITO TE VER OUTRA VEZ E TOCANDO!!! ENTAO MELHORA LOGO!!!E CREIA QUE JESUS PODE MUDAR TODA SUA VIDA,PARA SEMPRE!!UM BEIJO NO SEU CORAÇAO E DA SUA FAMILIA,DO SEU FAN E AMIGO,AQUI NO BRASIL. ps: Deus me abençou e hj me tornei endorsse da Pearl Brazil!!! lembra que te falei que um dia meu sonho iria se realizar? amigao,melhora logo ta!!! muita saudades….....

Ms. Shellye July 23, 2014, 19:23:23

God be with you in this dark time, he will bring you to the light. I enjoyed your great talent.

john crocken July 23, 2014, 20:01:04

Have always enjoyed your style—what Hospital?—-good luck

Antonia V July 23, 2014, 20:01:12

I am holding good thoughts for Dennis!!! So sad to find out that he is in the hospital. I send Dennis and his family my best. I was fortunate to meet Dennis and to sing to him at the San Jose Jazz Festival many years ago. He was so kind to me and my Friend Janny – he has a super personality and of course, he is truly one of the very best drummers around. I hate to hear that he is not doing well, but we need to keep believing in miracles. Get better Dennis from California.

Robert woods July 23, 2014, 22:58:18

Dennis, our prayers are with you…we trust and believe that at this time in your life the comfort of the Lord will keep you and sustain you and ultimately heal you…you have inspired so many for so long now its time to rest recover and heal….we who are the heartbeat of the band, the drummers, wish you well…peace and blessings from the CLONES OF FUNK, Annapolis Md….. .Robert “BigFunk” Woods

johnny 'cee' calarco July 23, 2014, 23:00:50

Dennis!
My prayers to you! Please know how loved you are in the music community not just for your obvious immense talent, but for being such a wonderful human being. Hope to buy you another Greek Chicken dinner! :) Your Milwaukee friend, Johnny ‘C’ !!

Al Lee July 24, 2014, 10:44:23

Dennis,
Get Well soooon!!!!!!! Praying for you brother. Besides being one of the world’s greatest drummers, and a great person, you are the epitomy of the “American Dream”. A person from very humble beginnings who took that straight and narrow path to rise to Creme de la creme. I’m a witness to that, and a very proud one. Stay strong as I know you will. Peace Al Lee

Dennis silver July 24, 2014, 15:07:52

i’m praying for you Dennis you will be well again soon.

Luke July 25, 2014, 00:43:30

Get Well Soon World Drum King

doug zimmer July 26, 2014, 18:36:06

love you dennis/praying for one of the greatest drummers in history/ god bless you/DZ

Everett Collins July 26, 2014, 21:05:27

May God bless and Heal you in Jesus Name
Brother!
Everett Collins ( Isleys)

Rev. M.L.Lewis July 29, 2014, 16:10:38

I love you. Thanks for everything! God’s gotcha (U know.) !!

joaquim jackie santos July 29, 2014, 16:29:07

Wishing you a speedy recovery,
To an rare amazing talent…god bless you and you’re family Jackie santos Professor
Berklee college of music

Fred Beato August 4, 2014, 22:56:54

Chambers ! You are Loved ! Get well Soon ! Your fan in the west Coast Beato

Bruce Cryor Sr. August 5, 2014, 01:20:37

This not over for you DC get well and stay well brother. You’re so inspirational to our craft we need you healthy. God Heal his body right now in Jesus name Amen! Headbangas(drummers) forever lets go DC!

lamont little August 9, 2014, 00:21:38

Hey wg,
really sorry to hear about your health. Man thank you for all the great music you sent me. It was an honor to see you and an even greater honor when you called. Me and my wife are praying for you daily and we.hear your home with your family now. God answers prayers. We love you wg take care of yourself and hope to see you soon.
Lamont

Pablo Calzado August 19, 2014, 12:32:02

Get Well soon Dennis you had been a great inspiration to me and you will keep being for many more generations.We wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you playing with Santana in Singapore again.
All the best

Joe Ascione August 21, 2014, 16:43:39

Dennis, always in the heart and mind. Be strong and positive. Joey

Mario Lazici August 25, 2014, 17:25:23

Hi hero ! Please get well soon and enjoy everybody with youre amazing drumming. Bless you drum master!
Mario

denni bradley October 1, 2014, 15:13:14

Hey Dennis my name is Dennis and a drummer also from d.c. you will be back hitting hard as ever god gave u a gift and he’s not ready for his gift to stop prayers for u and your family back n stride again love u bro.love to me u in person DC u in Baltimore let set a couble of set up and jam graduated duke Ellington 1977 first class out of DC.

Antoine Sanfuentes October 8, 2014, 07:11:28

An update from Dennis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKG0rQ0cVwY and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gfVO5_f2o

Tommie Champ Lockett October 21, 2014, 16:50:37

get well Mr. Dennis chambers I really respect you and your playing abilities, most of all your attitude and approach toward life, get well, I just read about it yesterday. sorry for the lateness, I have you on our prayer list at our church I think you’re a legend…......