Published: 2014/08/03

Gathering of the Vibes Day 3: The Disco Biscuits with Mickey Hart & Bill Kreutzmann, Widespread Panic, Umphrey’s McGee

The Disco Biscuits with Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann, Widespread Panic, Umphrey’s McGee, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Leftover Salmon with Bill Payne, Dumpstaphunk and many more took the stage yesterday for a stacked Saturday at Gathering of the Vibes in Bridgeport, CT.

Kung Fu and Leftover Salmon with Bill Payne were among the first acts to take to the main stage on Saturday afternoon. The groups were followed by Mexican acoustic guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriela, who worked covers of Radiohead’s “Creep” and Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Breaking the Girl” into their impressive set. The pair were followed by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes, who were joined by Eric McFadden on guitar, Kenwood Dennard on drums and Wavy Gravy on percussion for their hit song, “Home.” The band also got some help from a young singer named Eli, who sat in for “All Wash Out,” and frontman Alex Ebert had some fun putting on Wavy’s red clown nose.

Meanwhile, Dumpstaphunk was throwing down in front of a large crowd over at the Green Vibes stage. The band, who were playing one of their last shows with longtime drummer Nikki Glaspie, was joined by a number of guests, including Stanley Jordan, James Casey and members of the School of Rock Allstars during their set.

Umphrey’s McGee then took to the main stage just as the sun began to disappear. The band worked through a 90 minute set that saw Dennard sit in on the end of “Women and Wine Song,” while Jordan made an appearance for “Hajimemashite.” The set also included a cover of Tool’s “Forty Six & 2.”

Widespread Panic were up next for their headlining set on the main stage. The southern rockers played to a massive crowd, inviting old friend (and lead guitarist Jimmy Herring’s former Aquarium Rescue Unit bandmate) Col. Bruce Hampton to join them for “Fixin’ to Die.” The show also featured covers of JJ Cale’s “Travelin’ Light” and “Ride Me High,” as well as Funkadelic’s “Maggot Brain.”

The Disco Biscuits played the final main stage show of the day, finally getting started a little past midnight. The set got going with “Story of the World” before guest vocalist Greg Sherrod joined them for a take on James Brown’s “I Don’t Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing.” After working through the end of “Confrontation,” the group was joined by Grateful Dead drummers Micket Hart and Bill Kreutzmann, who stuck around for “West L.A. Fadeaway,” “I Know You Rider,” “Eyes of the World,” “That’s It For The Other One,” “Shakedown Street,” “Viola Lee Blues” and a set-closing rendition of the Disco Biscuit original “I-Man.” The group then returned to the stage with a choir for an encore take on “And We Big You Goodnight” that also featured appearances by Ryan Montbleau, Todd Stoops and other friends of the band.

The music then continued until sunrise, as Digital Tape Machine and Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe rocked the late nights over atthe Green Vibes Stage.

Gathering of the Vibes will wrap up today with sets from Maceo Parker, moe., Ziggy Marley, Allen Stone, Dispatch and more.

Here’s a look at some of yesterday’s setlists:

Saturday, August 2, 2014, The Disco Biscuits, Gathering of the Vibes, Bridgeport, CT

Story Of The World*> I Don’t Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing^> Confrontation#,Home Again^^> West L.A. Fadeaway^^, I Know You Rider^^, Eyes of the World^^%,, That’s It For The Other One^^> Shakedown Street^^> Viola Lee Blues^^, I-Man^^

Enc: And We Bid You Goodnight^^

(*) unfinished
(^) with guest vocalist
(#) end
(^^) with Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann on percussion
(%) with Trucker’s Choice teases

Saturday, August 2, 2014, Widespread Panic, Gathering of the Vibes, Bridgeport, CT

Tall Boy > Climb To Safety, Travelin’ Light, Give, Worry, Little Lilly > Fixin’ To Die*, Good People > Jam > Maggot Brain > Chilly Water > Driving Song > Cotton Was King, Ride Me High > Driving Song, Flicker > Action Man (111 mins)

Enc: Protein Drink / Sewing Machine

(*) with Col. Bruce Hampton

Comments

Jeff August 3, 2014, 15:03:11

The guest vocalist was local CT singer Greg Sherrod.

Jeff Block August 4, 2014, 15:00:51

Great to see some of the local musicians get ther props

Pine Trees August 4, 2014, 17:51:12

First off big shout out to MKDEVO and all tapers/videographers out there doing us all a HUGE service—- I listened to the Bisco set…not impressed not only was it a mediocre Bisco show it also was a mediocre dead cover band…I’m sure it was better live in person but I think this cool idea def missed the mark

Liz from TN August 5, 2014, 10:25:06

Widespread was so incredible at Vibes it gives me chills to even think about how amazing they were. I mean wow. It was rock and roll history.
Bridgeport was Schooled and Herring delivered the goods. Awesome times.

Nck August 21, 2014, 17:55:05

You left out that Rodrigo y Gabriela covered Orion by Metallica after a Frayed Ends of Sanity tease! I agree with Liz from TN, what a set!

Lez from VT November 28, 2014, 22:49:55

While tastes differ, I didn’t think WSP were good at all at the Vibes, at least in person. I’ve heard from a friend of mine who followed them that they’re great people off the stage and Jimmy Herring at the very least is an incredibly unique and gifted musician, but in general, I typically feel comfortable judging the talent of a band (band meaning collective of musicians – not meaning individual talents) based on their ability to control their own dynamics. At Vibes, WSP were deafeningly loud even from way back in the VIP area, not really ever letting up in volume at all. Same thing can be said for Lotus, who just sounded like distortion and noise to me. Adversely, the Grateful Bisco set that everyone continuously shits on was reasonable in volume and featured some surprisingly good musicianship (well, for the most part – admittedly, some things deviated way too far from the arrangements I wanted to hear of the classic Dead tunes but they played a few nice things and were a welcome break – sonically – from WSP). The point being, everything else I checked out over the weekend was played by musicians who actually knew how to bring it down a bit when necessary. From White Denim to Umphrey’s (probably my favorite mix) to Rodrigo y Gabriela (a tad too quiet, maybe) to Maceo Parker (pristine sound but maybe a bit on the quiet side as well) to Trombone Shorty to Leftover Salmon to Ziggy Marley to John Fogerty, and so on, it was all mixed very well, which can only lead me to believe the guys in WSP and Lotus couldn’t control their dynamics. That said, Lotus sound tight on the video recordings recently posted, and Panic have a great lead guitarist and a great light show (my favorite light show of the whole time there, I think), but as a whole band, coming together to create pleasurable music? The thing that killed me was that I couldn’t even tell in person if either of those bands were my cup of tea. That doesn’t mean either band is bad, but there’s only a certain volume level that can be exceeded before I can’t tell anymore one way or another. What a shame. PS
For what it’s worth, I bought the Panic SBD and it’s okay. Still not the greatest thing in the world to me though and maybe my experience was a bit marred by the awful sound in person. I like the “Maggot Brain” cover but then again that was the one thing I loved in person due to the fact that it’s just guitar and thus not overbearingly loud, and the Colonel Bruce sit-in sounds great on the tape, too.