Published: 2014/08/07

Warren Haynes Talks Allman Brothers Break Up in New Interview

Photo: Dino Perrucci

Warren Haynes explained some of the reasons behind The Allman Brothers Band’s decision to call it quits yesterday in an interview with a Boston radio station. Speaking with WZLX 100.7 FM, Haynes said that the group has been considering the move for some time, noting that, “It’s been a little confusing, but I think it’s important to realize that it’s something we’ve all, as a band, been communicating about for quite a long time.

Haynes added that Gregg Allman has been more interested in his solo project lately, saying, “Gregg really enjoys doing his thing more than he enjoys doing the Allman Brothers.”

As previously reported, the Allman Brothers Band will perform at the Peach Music Festival and the Lockn’ Festival before closing things out with a final six-night run at New York City’s Beacon Theatre in October.

Comments

Doug August 7, 2014, 17:58:13

They should have packed in when Dickey Betts was kicked out. I get the reason Gregg did that, but the band isn’t nearly as good without him nor is it close to the same sound.

derpa August 7, 2014, 18:04:49

@Doug…while I agree with your points, I gotta say that Warren and Derek are the only reason to see the ABB at this stage in the game. Caught a few of the Beacon shows this year and while they were fun shows and Derek/Warren/Oteil killed it like usual, the band as a whole sounds tired and done.

daver August 7, 2014, 18:17:18

Haha! I saw them with dickey and they sound so much better without that wife beating drunk.

Leah Marie August 7, 2014, 18:22:20

Absolutely correct derpa. There is a reason why Dickey was given his walking papers. And Doug is correct in that the band, with Derek/Warren/Oteil, is no where near close to the same sound… because they’re better sounding, tighter. Dickey’s days are over. Saw him with his band, Great Southern, a few times and he has just gotten worse and worse. He’s pretty much an embarrassment to himself and to his fellow band mates but I’m not looking to Dickey bash here but say that as a true ABB fan, they will be greatly missed.

Gregg fan August 7, 2014, 18:25:00

When they stopped bringing out new albums… They were just hanging on for the cash grab….Warren and Derek are doing the right thing. Gregg really needs to start bringing out some new original music….he has wore out Gregg + friends setlists for a long time.

George E August 7, 2014, 19:55:28

I have loved every incarnation of these guys!

Dick August 7, 2014, 19:57:05

1969-1976 is when ABB made historically notable music. 1979 reunion set the template for what has gone on since – rehashed southern/blooze/rock for money. Frankly, I lost a lot of respect for Derek as an artist for hanging on so long. Granted, he did not exactly engender confidence in choosing to spend time with bland/Dad/rock geezers like Clapton and Santana. Warren on the other hand has never had any reservations about travelling well worn paths (read unoriginal) for cash.

Justin August 7, 2014, 21:31:48

Jesus, Dick. So, which incredibly storied, influential band do we know you from?

PM August 7, 2014, 22:16:31

No follow up to Hittin the Note

john t. farrell August 8, 2014, 00:14:15

are you for real they were floundering when warren and allen joined and it may or may not of been a given sometime derek would become a member. this incarnation with oteil and the guitarists marc and aa sometimes a keyboard player is the closest to the original abb plus all the combined members work solo sizzles .

JUDGE Mike August 8, 2014, 01:13:33

I saw ABB at Peach Fest last year and they were boring….

KB August 8, 2014, 01:19:38

Not that this probably means much but the ABB changed my life in 1994. Every lineup after that took me to a whole different level. I love these guys and I supported them in whatever form they happen to be in at the time and was a better person for having gone to each and every show. I was hoping that their October tour would materialize and I could go support them one more time but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen….so I might have to make the trek up to Lockn for Sunday and get one last show.

Bill Harriman August 8, 2014, 08:33:00

Hey George E….
That was well said and I couldn’t agree more!

e August 8, 2014, 09:57:26

warren and Derek are rock stars greg allman is a rock slide

Johnny August 8, 2014, 10:08:18

Still the best live band on the planet. I’ve seen them many times over the past decade and have never been disappointed. Gregg is a living legend, Butch still gives maximum effort and it’s great that Jaimoe is still there after all these years. I defy anyone to name a better guitar tandem, Oteil is way underrated and Marc is one cool cat. Regarding the lack of new material, the wonderful timeless classics that they have kept alive are why we keep coming back for more. To the Warren basher, he deserves every $ he earns. What makes him so great is his talent and versatility that allows him to perform and nail so many different kinds of great music. I guess the basher is happy with the fact that there are talentless game show singers and teen heartthrobs out there raking in way more money. It’s going to leave a void when these guys are no longer performing and they will be greatly missed. On to the Peach Fest!

dk70 August 8, 2014, 10:20:37

Hats off to one of the greatest bands of all time. Surely any group that completes a 45 year run will have peaks and valleys. This latest incarnation with Warren, Derek and Oteil has kick tons of musical butt through the years way more often than nt. Dickey was great and probably still has something in the tank ( I don’t know haven’t seen him play in over a decade) and was a great contributor to the band’s catalog. Imagine life without “Elizabeth Reed” and “Blue Sky”? Gregg is in ill health and needs to rest. Hopefully he can regain momentum in the near future. It is a testament to Derek and Warren’s acumen as band leaders that their respective groups will be a force for years to come.

Melissa August 8, 2014, 10:27:15

So, Derek Trucks “did not exactly engender confidence in choosing to spend time with bland/Dad/rock geezers like Clapton and Santana”? Seriously? What a load of BS. Derek Trucks is amongst the best guitar players of his generation, and for pure skill level he is almost unrivaled.

Sad August 8, 2014, 10:46:44

Well the last Allmans show I saw at the Chicago theatre was 200x better than anything I have seen from Phish since 2010

timmy August 8, 2014, 10:52:17

Some seriously ignorant comments at the beginning of this thread. That’s usually the case, since haters are quick to spew their stupidity. ABB are one of the greatest rock bands in history. Their music speaks for itself. Their albums with Warren and Allen Woody were excellent, and Warren and Derek are the best guitar duo around in my book. That’s not to say that ABB 2014 is in their prime. Obviously all things come to an end. But show some respect for the living legends. The modern “jam” scene would not be the same without them.

Todd E August 8, 2014, 11:26:23

Having seen ABB a bunch of times over the years, dating back to 1973, they’ve had times of greatness with different lineups—including the current band. But I’m definitely partial to when Dicky Betts was in the group—and I think all would agree that their most brilliant time by far was the original lineup with Duane.

Danny August 8, 2014, 13:02:49

In my opinion, anything Haynes is involved in for the last decade sounds like talented technicians just going through the motions. I met Haynes in 2001 following a GM show. He was as nice as they come. Wish he would quit being the hardest man on the jam band scene and place his full attention on one project at a time. The ABB break may be good for all. Additionally, I would like to see trucks take a break from Tedeshi musically speaking. I thought the trucks band was amazing. T & T band… not so much.

Nick Cody August 9, 2014, 01:45:47

Seen Allmans every year for last 7 in NY and have everything thing they recorded. The Beacon shows have been a master class in playing and performance, just amazing. Derek and Wayne pretty much are the thread that makes such magic possible, without them there really are no Allmans

gregg fan August 9, 2014, 18:52:18

I hope Gregg gets Jack Pearson and records some songs for GAF..The heck with the other guys.

Dr. Evel August 10, 2014, 16:45:30

My first ABB show was Woodstock 94, and my last was Wanee 2013. In between those I’ve been to many, many shows and loved them all. Where it All Begins is one of the all time greats. Hate to see it end, but all things do just that. All stages of my adult life, the good and bad, The Brothers were right there with me! Thanks ABB!!

brother of the brothers August 12, 2014, 00:41:51

we should all be thankful for the amazing music this band has produced for the last forty years, every member of the band would agree. dont hate, Appreciate ..

Greg Mulehead August 13, 2014, 23:54:16

Sucks I was hoping for one last Atlanta show. I hope Wanee continues it should and Gregg could play with his band. Wish I could hit Locken or Beacon. Mule at GA The. next week is going to kick ass.

joe August 14, 2014, 14:04:04

i only saw the Bros. twice, a 2 night run at the Luval Palace theatre in KY.
this was the first tour with D. Trucks, it was him and Dickie Betts on guitar.
im foggy on the year. but i paid 60 bucks for a 4th row ticket and thought that was WAY TOO MUCH, but it was SOOO WORTH IT, seeing D. Trucks, so young, with his pie eyeed dear in the headlights look, all the while laying down some of the slickest slide guitar since SRV.
the next night i saved money, and was in the balcony, but was still a great show.
i also agree they should have stopped touring after D. Betts got kicked out.

Dr. Evel August 15, 2014, 12:45:34

I just today learned about The Michael Allman Band, another son of Gregg. he plays biker rallies and casino’s etc. Playing a casino in Biloxi tonight.
Hmmm…there must be more…..

Dr. Evel August 15, 2014, 12:46:26

Hmmm…there must be more…..

Steve August 15, 2014, 14:07:34

yep, a lot of haters for sure. dicky betts messed up, i’ve seen his band a few times and it runs the gamut from drunk awful to ABB Great. As far as the ABB is concerned, i’ve always loved their shows, some were legendary, almost all were very good. As for Warren, i love him in the ABB, love him with Phil, love him with the Dead, love him the most, solo acoustic. But Govt Mule, it’s just to in your face deep blues, his own material is just so so.

Carl August 15, 2014, 17:28:25

Anybody who bashes either Derek or Warren is an idiot! Slag Warren because he has such a diverse ability to play so many different types of music? Crazy! Keep in mind that musicians are fans also and someone like Warren loves to play homage to all of his influences. Derek still hasn’t scratched the surface of what he can do. Thanks to all of the members of ABB. It has been a great ride…

GratefulDem August 17, 2014, 07:44:15

...so Clapton and Santana are bland geezers. ...Derek and Warren are only in it for the money….I guess commenter #7 is aptly named. He can thank his mother for passing on such insight.

zen_drummer August 18, 2014, 01:03:30

Its a miracle Gregg is still alive after his liver transplant. These guys have paid their dues and, earned the respect of many notable musicians over a 45 yr career. A band decides to split and the haters want to revert back to how the band used to be. Nothing is ever how it used to be. The ONLY band i know of who still has their original members is ZZ Top. Thats one band out of a million. Lets celebrate the good w/o the needless cheap shots.

Rich Patchkofsky August 18, 2014, 17:48:17

The Allman Brothers Band is hands down the greatest American “rock” band in history. On their worst days they played better than anybody out there.To quote Bill Graham ; they are “the best of the best.” They truly have no equals.

gene August 18, 2014, 17:54:54

Just got back from Peachfest yesterday. As usual the entire lineup gives one a look into to various threads of music. The ABB were ther usual selves. Greg looked very tired. Maybe he should look to get himself healthier, if he can. I wis him the best. Been following ABB since 12/26/1969 when they were opening act followed by Appoloosa and the headliner was Bllod Sweat and Tears at Tje Filmore East. Have not missed seeing them at least once since reformation in 1988.

Nastyfoot August 18, 2014, 18:23:55

Thanks for the memories Fella’s. Everytime I saw the Brothers they were lights out. As I got older, I became more appreciative of all that this band has given to music. Certainly an institution that deserves respect from ALL fans of music and the genres that are offered.
Almost a half a century of touring and jamming is no fluke. There is a lotta good jamming to be able to accomplish that.

Ice August 18, 2014, 23:28:24

Both ABB sets at Peach this weekend proved the band is tight! And, intending to close out an awesome 45 year run playing harder then ever. Thank you ABB for the killer effort. Truly Grateful! Cjp