Published: 2014/08/24

Jack White Plays Through Sprained Ankle in San Francisco

Jack White reportedly sprained his ankle on stage while performing at the Bill Graham Civic Center in San Francisco on Friday night. Despite his team pushing the Lazaretto rocker to postpone the rest of his tour that currently stretches through November, White soldiered on, performing last night at the same venue.

A post on his Third Man Records’ Instagram shows the ankle, severely black and blue, and details the incident. White performed a 26-song setlist that included his first solo performance of The White Stripes’ “I Smell a Rat” along with a variety of hits and deep cuts from his lengthy catalog.

White’s tour continues August 25 when he kicks off a two-night run at the Paramount Theater in Seattle, WA.

Comments

baker August 24, 2014, 15:50:48

Please. Why is this Edward Scissorhands clone even relevant? Play through Bob Weir’s pain for 2 years and maybe you’ll get a little sympathy!

Dick August 24, 2014, 16:42:03

Maybe because he has written more great songs in 17 years than Weir has written in 50? Or maybe, because no one cares about Weir’s music outside of his ever-shrinking fan base of? Or maybe, you just have really bad taste?

Maeve August 24, 2014, 17:47:53

Ouch and of course it didn’t stop him!

Tim August 24, 2014, 18:29:42

In all seriousness, the stuff I have heard of his I have not been overly fond of. I would like to give his music a fair shake but don’t know where to start. Can somebody recommend a starting point?

Rob August 24, 2014, 19:13:29

Hi Tim, it depends on what catches your ear. I started with White Stripes and worked my way through in stuff chronologically and that worked great for me. I am a big fan, I love it all. I’d say White Stripes for more raw 2 piece stuff that is a good mix of rock/punk/blues. Raconteurs remind me of good solid rock and roll; it’s produced well, good harmony, and full band. The Dead Weather are much harder and a bit darker. Alison Mosshart on vocals is amazing. His solo stuff reminds of of Dylan albums. By that I mean they are collections of great songs. They are often quite varied in sound and feel. I hope that helps, Tim. Enjoy, I’m cited for you that you get to dive into the wonderful world of Jack White with fresh ears! I love finding new bands! :-) I am also a big fan of Weir and that argument/comparison is a bit ridiculous. Who the fuck cares, they are both making great music. This pissing contest shit is boring. I hope the musical community matures out of this someday.

Tumham August 24, 2014, 20:19:26

I recommend “elephant” by WS a a starting point.

Tim August 24, 2014, 21:08:45

Rob, I appreciate your extensive response. As to some of the members of the community maturing, I won’t be holding my breath.

Blooby August 24, 2014, 21:10:18

The image above would make for an interesting album cover. Maybe it’s already something Hipgnosis did.

MrStik August 24, 2014, 21:39:33

Damn Dick!! Nice! All valid points, well done. Me personally I think the Raconteurs may be an easier starting point for those who aren’t familiar with his catalog. But for the last couple months I have not been able to escape both Dead Weather albums. I just keep playing them and they keep delivering.

sandy koshinski August 24, 2014, 22:53:59

wow! Jack kicked ass at last night. I had no idea he was Jamming with an injury. The show was amazing I was in the seats provided for physically handicapped. sick or terminal people like myself. So my hat off to you Jack Jack White rocks harder than most rockers with 7 good feet. Although I am sure he is now playing from a set list he is spontaneous and has the balls to let the magic happen. Great Drum solo (well duo) to wind the night up. A few years ago Jack gave me my faith back in Rock and Roll when I happened to catch him do Jolene , from the Great White Northern Lights Tour.
Also Mr. Bob Weir Hater. Can you say Grateful Dead?

KB August 24, 2014, 23:10:55

No matter what the trolls say, Jack White is a fucking genius. I haven’t heard anything he’s done that I didn’t like. That might not be the case for you, Tim, but Elephant is probably a good place to start.

EDSCISSORHANDSLOL! August 25, 2014, 09:51:54

IF YOUR MUSICAL TASTE IS HEARING A BABY WINE WITH A GUITAR IN HIS HANDS AND PAY MONEY FOR IT MORE POWER TO YOU! Talk about a headache waiting to happen!

#JACKWHITEISABITCH August 25, 2014, 11:01:04

He should have both cankles broken for that BULLSHIT he pulled at radio city music hall.

baker August 25, 2014, 16:41:46

Yea, what a pussy. Can’t believe he actually posed for a picture. “look at me world, I’m special…”