Published: 2014/08/25

Trey Anastasio To Debut New Classical Piece, Petrichor

Phish’s Trey Anastasio will premiere Petrichor, his new piece for guitar and orchestra on a three-city West Coast run this fall. The new piece will make its premiere September 9 at Portland’s Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall where the guitarist will be joined by the Oregon Symphony. Additional shows on the run include a stop at the Seattle Symphony at Benaroya Hall on September 11 and with the Los Angeles Philharmonic at Hollywood Bowl on September 26. Scott Dunn of the L.A. Phil, who partnered with Anastasio on his 2012 orchestral tour, will conduct all three performances. The shows will also feature orchestral versions of songs by Phish and Anastasio’s solo repertoire.

According to a press release, Anastasio began composing Petrichor in November 2012 during rehearsals for Hands on a Hardbody.

“I love the concept that beautiful gifts come often wrapped in not-so-beautiful packages,” Anastasio say as he explains the inspiration for the name. “The idea of a storm coming through – it’s a little scary and it’s a little dark, but after it’s over it leaves this beautiful scent of renewal. Sometimes a big storm is exactly what you need.”

Comments

me August 25, 2014, 14:39:30

A big storm… wonder if 12/15/2006 has something to do with this concept… it sure seems to fit.

Dave the Slave August 25, 2014, 17:02:50

Trey should be spending his time trying to write some Phish material that doesn’t suck. This is just a waste of time and money.

Katiedid August 25, 2014, 18:17:36

Trey should be spending his time working on projects that matter to him and doing whatever the hell he damn well pleases. He doesn’t owe anyone anything.

J August 25, 2014, 19:20:04

Never wanna spread to thin. Or greats fall. stick to phish

joey p. August 25, 2014, 20:05:25

Trey is a true artist in every sense. If he only does whatever the people want him to play, well that would just make him an entertainer. An artist isn’t scared to take risk and do what he wants to do cause it feels right to him at the time. I love that he does projects like this. Just shows the many talents that he has and is gracious enough to share it with the world for us to enjoy and help make our lives on this planet a little more enjoyable.

adks August 25, 2014, 22:57:22

I think it’s great that Trey does stuff like this. Sometimes it kind of sucks (ehem…time turns elastic) and sometimes it’s interesting and entertaining. I just like that he’s willing to branch out and try something because he really loves and respects the style. It’s shows he doesn’t want to get stale. An artist needs to try new things or it just gets old.

Todd August 26, 2014, 02:40:13

why does JamBands.com not allow likes/dislikes on comments? I’m no huge Phish fan, only seen them once, and TAB twice, but Katiedid nailed it. Trey has earned the right to do whatever he wants.

Maureen August 26, 2014, 10:13:33

Why should any musician stick to one genre? Or one band? And why are the expectations that every song/piece be perfect? Keep composing Trey, whatever the hell you want. You’ve more than earned it!

Dave the slave August 26, 2014, 12:03:37

I take back my previous message. I was balls deep in an orangutan at the time I wrote that. My new internship at the zoo has its perks. Is it strange that I am the only 44 year old intern at the zoo?