Published: 2010/11/12

Gregg Allman and the Allman Brothers Band Return

Last night marked Gregg Allman’s first performance with the Allman Brothers Band since his liver transplant over the summer. The ABB kicked off its November tour with a show at the Tower Theatre in Upper Darby, PA just outside Philadelphia. Opening with “Done Somebody Wrong” and then “Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’,” the group featured Allman on vocals for much of the night and he was in fine form. Another highlight came with the version of Muddy Waters’ “I Can’t Be Satisfied,” which Allman sang to open set two. The evening also feature a guest player as jazz saxophonist Bill Evans contributed to “Dreams,” “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” and the “Southbound.” The complete setlist, drawn from our Box Scores page appears below.

Tonight, the Allman Brothers Band will appear in Washington, DC at DAR Constitution Hall.

Allman Brothers Band
Tower Theatre Upper Darby, PA

Set I: Done Somebody Wrong, Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’, Hot Lanta, No One To Run With, Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad, All My Friends, Dreams*, Every Hungry Woman

Set II: I Can’t Be Satisfied, I’m Coming Home, Midnight Rider, Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, One Way Out, Into The Mystic, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed*

Enc: Southbound*

Notes: *with Bill Evans on saxophone

Comments

Joe November 12, 2010, 15:22:15

Great show. Glad to see Gregg is doing well. Anyone know who the pictures were in the background, during the ‘Nobody Left to Run with Anymore” song ?? I recognized Duanne and Barry, but who was playing the double neck in
the pictures ??

JRM November 12, 2010, 15:40:08

My guess is that it was Alan Woody….good to have the Brothers back!

Marvin November 13, 2010, 01:36:42

I RECALL GREGG AND DUANE IN SCHOOL; WE ALL PLAYED. AT FIRST, I WAS A DRUMMER, I WAS FOND OF THE GUITAR, BUT DID NOT GET MY OWN, UNTIL THE FOLLOWING XMAS, AND IT WAS A SECOND HAND FENDER MUSTANG, AND I WAS IN TOP OF THE WORLD; A GOOD FRIEND NAMED ERNEST, TAUGHT ME SOME CHORDS, AND I WAS OF AND RUNNING; WE WERE ALL GOOD FRIENDS; I REALLY MISS DUANE

Lefthand Monkey Wrench November 13, 2010, 05:07:15

There is no way that it is Duane & Allen Woody together. Considering Woody didn’t come along until well after Duane’s death.

Hagbard Celine November 13, 2010, 10:34:58

@Wrench: They superimpose pictures over pictures during that song, so it’s folks from all different time periods shimmering in and out together. They even show Garcia from time to time.

pissed November 14, 2010, 09:54:04

THe show in Atlantic City SUCKED BALLS!!!Everyone was sitting down…the band practiclly fell aasleep..like 4 slow blues covers..shortest show ever!!! They fuckin ripped AC off with that WEAK performance…and i thought they were really cookin up till now..guess the END IS NEAR

greg November 15, 2010, 07:59:38

The AC show def didn’t suck balls. It was a blast my only complaint was the venue. You weren’t allowed to dance in the aisles or really let loose without annoying someone around you. Hot lanta was smoking overall I was pleased they sounded great. The sound in that venue is awful but I sneaked down to the floor and was absorbed into what was going on. Further at MSG this weekend. The music never stops!