Published: 2010/12/02
by Abigail Bull

Kreutzmann Takes a Stab at Furthur

Photo by Josh Baron

Grateful Dead drummer Bill Kreutzmann—who’s currently touring with his band 7 Walkers—shared his thoughts on Furthur in a story by The Press Republican that was released today.

“I haven’t really got much interest in them. They sound just like the other bands out there doing it. What do you call those bands that copy other bands—” Kreutzmann said. “Anyways, I don’t feel they’re doing anything really new with their music.”

Kreutzmann went on to say, “The saddest thing is that they (Furthur) hired a guitar player that’s not Warren Haynes. It’s too bad. They should have hired a great solo guitar player.”

The drummer last made his rounds with former GD bandmates Bob Weir and Phil Lesh—and guitarist Warren Haynes—in 2009 as The Dead. Furthur, which consists of Lesh and Weir, plus newcomers John Kadlecik (Dark Star Orchestra) and drummer Joe Russo (Benevento/Russo Duo), formed and began touring that same year.

7 Walkers will next play on December 9 at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, CT, while Furthur will ring in the New Year at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco.

Comments

dan-o May 31, 2011, 15:07:45

personally i thought the dead sucked with warren (who otherwise i love, i was surprised and a little bummed) but they also sucked with this darkstar guy… he is adequate at best… nothing special about him at all.. So BK is right, they should have gotten a kickass soloist… there is no one who can kick it up to the next level which is a shame. the shows are just boring and a little sad. but i also agree that the action is wherever phil is. heart and soul….

jackstraw July 7, 2011, 17:56:30

ya, ok this is why the world is a bad place… jerry“s gone but not forgot. bill has his oppin, if the human race doesnt get along we will cease to exist long live the dead but cant we all get a bong? lov it all just let things lie where they may …thanks for the real good time!!!!!!!!!!! peace

Andy July 13, 2011, 15:56:38

I think Furthur is much more interesting then The Dead in 09! Are you kidding me! Just compare the setlists. 7 Walkers still cover a ton of Dead so it is kinda of like WTF! Props for 7 Walkers coming out with new songs but so did Furthur.

Me July 20, 2011, 04:31:03

Opinions are like drummers,we’ve all got one. I don’t agree w/ Bill Sommers opinion,but then again,i’m not him. I have a great time as long as the music’s spinning! I prefer the All New Furthur to 7 Walkers,in a Mickey and the Heartbeats,but that’s me ! May all music drive us wildly mad! Remember,if you take the “T’ out of Furthur,you get The Furhur! Who is the ‘T’...?!@%@^&

Jayman July 24, 2011, 10:35:46

just got back from summer 2011 further show…..billy…billy….billy….sour grapes man…..wow how money has spoiled ya.

Tyler November 4, 2011, 09:37:39

Too bad for these kind of sentiments. I went across the country for both The Dead with Warren and for Furthur just last summer. Hands down that Furthur is a better band with more positive vibes. 7 Walkers is great too, so WTF is with the bashing. It kind of tarnishes many years of a positive groove. Too bad. I hope everyone can figure out to move forward in a loving way.

Jerrydog December 13, 2011, 08:44:03

I Think Furthur would be a whole lot better if Bobby would just let John do what he is there to do and that is to take the lead. I’ve seen DSO with John playing alot and those show were great. Let John play the Jerry roll. And Bobby that just might mean you play rythem!!!! Our just go back to playing with Ratdog because im starting to feel bad for Marc and the boys which i think is the all time best post dead band.

IRISH March 14, 2012, 18:17:01

I am hoping that PHIL, BOBBY, AND MICKEY

IRISH March 14, 2012, 18:17:02

I am hoping that PHIL, BOBBY, AND MICKEY

IRISH March 14, 2012, 18:21:51

I HOPE THAT PHIL, BOBBY, AND MICKEY DO A LITTLE SOMETHING TOGETHER AT THE ALL GOOD FESTIVAL THIS SUMMER SINCE THEY ALL WILL BE THERE .....JUST LIKE OLD TIMES AT BUCKEYE LAKE ...I SAW SOME OF THE BEST GRATEFUL DEAD SHOWS THERE IN THE 80“S AND 90“S

Fleabite July 9, 2012, 14:06:03

Billy is and always has been the grumpy old asshole. You’ve heard the stories, read the books and have seen it first hand. Nothing has changed. Still love him though.

gmbobo July 23, 2012, 14:42:47

Further of not, nothing is like listening to the Dead music and groovin’ to the tunes. BK sounds a bit grumpy but when you age you are allowed to say whatever is on your mind. As for the comment about John (DSO), I completely disagree! I saw DSO 23 times w/ John and always thought he sounded like a young Jerry. When Phil and Bob brought him along, I thought he added a new dynamic to their sound. I still enjoy seeing Further and have NO PROBLEM with their sound/music. It’s all about the groove!

timmy September 25, 2012, 14:20:50

It goes without saying that Bill is entitled to his opinion, but how can you say Furthur is a cover band? That’s literally impossible unless you are specifically refering to songs not penned by Bobby or Phil. But still, these are Dead songs, and they were founding members of the Dead! Its obvious Bill is bitter that they are doing what they do. Just chill Bill. Furthur is in no way a nostalgia act. They actually sound very fresh and new. I’ve seen them almost 10 times, and almost every show has blown me away. JK is NOT a Jerry clone. This is NOT DSO with Phil and Bobby. JK can do both! He can fill in for Jerry and stretch his own wings.

pablo picazoo November 1, 2012, 11:09:57

The fact that this is the most commented thing on jambands.com just goes to show how DEAD it all really is. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get back on tour with DONNA JEAN & THE TRICKSTERS!!!!

Ron November 10, 2012, 21:30:27

This comment was made over money. Oh my gosh, this shit cray.

Pharmd193 December 27, 2012, 16:43:25

Hello! gbkeecd interesting gbkeecd site! I’m really like it! Very, very gbkeecd good!

Bee Rye January 20, 2013, 01:21:41

That’s kind of funny, cuz Furthur is absolutely nailing St. Stephen as we speak at Sweetwater. I am glad to see only 1 or 2 people were idiots in all these comments, and tried to bash Russo’s playing, considering he is one of the premo rock drummers playing in the jam band circuit now.

nsu February 6, 2013, 03:52:31

seems billy may have been sore about not being able to turn down the “call” which he didn’t get because bobby and phil knew they would be fussing about who the guitar player was going to be. rhythym devils had some young hot shot guitar player who’s head would have deflated at an alan holdsworth show but what the heck give the kid a break he’s playing with billy and mickey! i thought jimmy herring played a beautiful tribute to jerry with the “dead” much respect, now my opinion, i saw the grateful dead five times at the fillmore east and bought all their records when they were released. i feel the grateful dead ended when pigpen died along with the grand creative era of the 60’s, yet we raved so much about them that generation behind us took note and along with the dead created a social phenomenon that to this day flourishes and will will outlive all the band members. a few weeks ago i went to see a friend play in a dead cover band and the scene was beautiful. i’m 61 and will be on as the second drummer in a few weeks playing with people 20 and 30 years younger than me , this is a gift and i thank the spirit of the grateful dead and all the people on the bus. rambling on…. saw 7 walkers last year and was amused by the tuba and trumpet giving credibility to early century new orleans but i wonder if those guy’s had a clue that the grateful created a swampy masterpiece 30 years ago called alligator? billy obviously wasn’t letting them in on it with his pickle barrell dump da funk oversized kit and staight up and down grooves. i’m going to try to inject some of those shine box swing angles in to this gig coming up , point? thanks billy

Davey April 20, 2013, 20:40:30

Fake Jerry sux!

phishmule May 4, 2013, 03:49:23

First of all 7 Walkers MAILED IN a shitty performance at Horning’s Hideout last summer…fucking amateurs…I have never seen Furthur suck as hard or as long…7 Walkers is a gaggle of washed up fill.

Amanda June 3, 2013, 15:17:39

I love Bill, I love the New Orleans infused Dead stuff he does but Further is great too and its sad to hear him talk bitterly about his former bandmates.

grgjxjjb June 26, 2013, 03:27:38

3rkMbe eloojolrlbun

hjrmci June 26, 2013, 03:30:29

JK2vRG okfjbsjkilsr

dtanrlxzfu June 26, 2013, 03:30:41

v59JHv wcgipmsflyxg

fwprjc June 26, 2013, 03:31:17

nITUJk qbxodhrufmgk

thdyiotez June 26, 2013, 03:34:24

vDRwGu ztmqsbseowiw

Jeffrey Timberg July 13, 2013, 14:46:57

Bottom line here, Further is missing Billy and Mickey for that full Great GD sound!

yogi mitranand August 20, 2013, 17:53:52

lol interesting comments everyone…personally the last i saw furthur 2nd song they went into george harrioson tune any road will take you there and as they are jamming kaldicik did withinyou without you beatles riffs..as a older deadhead who actually saw the dead with jerry , i loved it..now my criticism of furthur is without mickey and bill you really are not that interesting …no drums and space does not make me happy ..BILL AND MICKEY SHOULD BE IN THAT BAND..not russo!!! bring mickey and bill back

myze September 18, 2013, 15:30:52

People need to stop worrying about what it is not, and just enjoy it for what it is . . .

Joe Flores October 19, 2013, 07:41:57

BK’s comments sound like sour grapes to me. I think both the Furthur drummer and JK are both decent musicians.It seems to me like BK is bitter about watching the band from the sidelines.I’ve seen the DEAD live from1979 and I’m just so happy that I can see Bob and Phil still kicking it live, and the whole tour scene still in effect.THEY’RE DOING THE BEST WITH WHAT THEY HAVE ........ THAT“S LIFE IN A NUT SHELL !!!

Willie December 18, 2013, 16:49:35

I’m ok with Furthur. It’s an acceptable vehicle through which the music itself is kept alive, and they play some stuff I never got to hear in 18 years of GD concerts. Kadlecik is good. Never thought much of Warren with the Dead, though there were some sparkling moments. They should have just handcuffed Jimmy Herring to Bob Weir and been done with it.

Rich K. February 11, 2014, 01:44:16

Jimmy Herring was the beat they had. Warren is great, but just not what they need. Jimmy was amazing.

jakdown February 16, 2014, 03:04:25

To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.

Len B April 4, 2014, 17:30:36

I have lost some respect for Bill with those comments. Warren is great but I agree with many that he doesn’t do dead music all that good. And he doesn’t have time for another full time project. Johnny K does what he does best. Play dead music as close to how it was intended. I still like hearing those songs performed well. so Billy doesn’t want to play dead music, I get it, so do your own thing and don’t knock Bob and Phil for hiring Johnny K. I don’t see Bill selling out many places lately…I met him twice and to be honest, he was pretty rude compared to the other guys. Sort of full of himself unlike Phil for example. Let’s all get along boys!

cheap louboutin sandals April 12, 2014, 23:45:36

Women’s Vibram FiveFingers SPEED Shoes-Grape/Grey for sale online
cheap louboutin sandals http://www.travelaxis.org/cl/cheap-louboutin-sandals.asp

Joe May 3, 2011, 05:42:16

People you are all missing the point. Further is good; but they are just rehashing music of a band that no longer exist’s. I saw the dead back in the Jerry era and they were great.That band ceast to exist when Jerry died. They should have done the same thing that Zep did when John Bonhan died.They said when John died that Led Zep was no more. You people act like the Dead and Dead projects like further are the only band’s around.Why would you see the same band 8- 12 times in the same year. I know alot of you will say you love the scene, but the scene is overated and was overated back in Jerry’s time.The point is there is a lot of great music out there being made by band’s who also do cover’s just not 75% of the show! A lot of those “Dead” songs were covers,which is fine we just do’nt need to hear a band do cover’s of a another band’s cover’s.Do yourself a favor people go see the New Orleans Jazz Fest and see all different kind’s of music,eat some of the best food in the world,meet some cool people from all around the country and the world. Sound’s like a cool scene to me.This is just one festival out there.If you ca’nt meke it to the Jazz Fest ,check out the Telluride Bluegrass festival, or check out Phish in Lake Tahoe this summer for a great place to see a show.The Grateful Dead was great and will live on in my live music collection,but there was and is other great live bands to experience.

Xango May 20, 2011, 07:00:03

Sounds like BK is pissed that he’s not part of the band anymore. I first saw the Dead in ’78 and saw them consistently through the 80’s and 90’s. FURTHUR is freaking AWESOME.
BETTER than the Dead in some ways (JK sounds like a young Jerry on vocals – like 1968, although Jerry had more sting in his guitar playing). And Furthur dig deep into the catalog, digging up old GEMS.
All in all, Furthur ROCK and BK is all about sour grapes. His band isn’t nearly as good (I’ve seen them too). Besides, Phil and Bob have EVERY RIGHT to play the songs they wrote til the day they die!!!

Jeff R. March 17, 2011, 09:43:05

Who cares!

smilejamaica April 5, 2011, 18:40:02

billy k rules speak your mind who cares

RGA January 18, 2011, 17:01:57

I have to say , I believe BK has every right to his opinion.I also think his comments about JK are a little mean spirited and unnecessary , bring the focus back to your own project.Its pretty damn good from what ive listened to.I dont think its fair to call furthur a cover band though I think they are doing new and different things with their tunes.Well , furthur is no more a cover band than say the allman bro band from early-mid 90’s when they hired this unknown guitarist who could play the shit out the slide and sound just like duane. breathed new life into that band.What was that dudes name again? I think he went on to do some pretty amazing shit from what i hear. Aint no time to hate , right? Im looking forward to 2011 great stuff to see this year furthur,7 walkers,ABB,a little mule …something for us all to enjoy, great live music.

Ron January 18, 2011, 17:39:57

there really is no need for all this bs negativity! Sure BK has every right to his opinion.He didnt have to take a shot at JK like that though.He should keep his focus on his 7 walkers the shows ive heard were pretty damn good.I dont agree with BK on furthur not doing anything new with the music i made it to 6 of their shows last year 3 early (march) and 3 later (dec) they have developed into a very powerful band.furthur to me is no more a cover band than say, the ABB from the early-mid 90’s when they hired this unknown guitarist who could play the shit out of the slide and sound just like Duane . What was that dudes name again? From what I hear he went on to do some pretty amazing on his own.my point is if it wasnt for warren playin duane in the ABB we might not collectively know who he is.Warren is an amazing guitarist/singer/bandleader etc everyone whos anyone has to have started somewhere.Jk is a great guitarist who uses gear to emulate the tone of jerry, just like warren did with ABB to emulate duane.would love to see them play together maybe JK sittin in with mule doin a pink floyd song.aint no time to hate,right ? heres to all the great music on our way in 2011,furthur,7 walkers all that means to me is i have more shows to see this year keep it coming !

Freaky January 21, 2011, 13:48:10

I LOVE BILLY ! HE IS A DRUM SHAMAN!!! I read the whole article – not just this out of context blip. The boys love each other & hears another article that proves it: http://www.goldminemag.com/features/is-the-dead-dead

jen January 22, 2011, 19:06:20

If any of you haters think BK is some tired dried up drummer- YOU DON“T KNOW MUSIC. Billy K is a phenomen! WTF ever Russo is ridiculous compared to BK. You can all just FUCK OFF if you think Russo is better than Billy K- You obvioulsy dont jnow music…

DSO Fan December 8, 2010, 10:05:00

that’s BS. Warren SUCKED SO FREAKING HARD WITH THE DEAD that people who like the music to sound authentic toured JK with DSO INSTEAD because it was more REAL. And JK’s guitar solos are better in Dead music every second of every day. I am freaking SICK AND TIRED OF MEMBERS OF THE GD AND MEMBERS OF BANDS WHO PLAY THEIR MUSIC NOT LOVING ONE ANOTHER because it makes us fans feel like CRAP because all the people who play the music we love, it turns out, are freaking JERKS. WTF happened to the LOVE, hippies? I’ll go see JK play over any other person playing the music today, because as far as I can tell he is the ONLY one playing because he LOVES THE MUSIC AND THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE IT AND HIS FANS, whereas everybody else that plays it has made it a popularity contest and is treating the fans like pawns in a chess game that NO ONE gets to win.

Jill Baeder December 3, 2010, 12:16:57

This is really too bad. I have had a great time at the Furthur shows. We HAD Warren, Jimmy and others. I cannot imagine what he would have against John K. I’m very sad he has such harsh feelings. Isn’t it about the music? Love Furthur, love the 7 Walkers. Too bad about his attitude.

huh December 3, 2010, 13:04:43

I agree with him for years I have gotten the feeling Bob and those guys are not being creative any more, but like many of the band of old now are just riding out the cash cow as long as they can.

Jeff December 3, 2010, 12:50:49

Wow! I think I’m more surprised by the vitriol from fans than anything Billy has said. I saw 7 Walkers at Harmony Park (Minnesota) in May and loved them. I saw Furthur in Chicago in the spring and again in Ames this November and was blown away by all 3 concerts. I disagree with Billy about some of this, but let him sing his song his way. I always thought the GD was about the music and the freeflow of energy with the folks in the crowd. I don’t know any more about the dynamics of the former members than any one else, but if it tense and unrequited, then so be it. I just LOVE this music and have since I first heard GD in concert in ’69. I hope all the “founders” find success in keeping the flame burning however they decide to approach the task. Nothing but positive vibes flowing to Furthur, 7 Walkers, Phil and Friends, Ratdog and The Rhythm Devils. They all bring the message. Peace Out.

stavanger December 2, 2010, 14:12:53

yeah i love billy and 7 walkers, but no reason for him to throw a jab. it´s late in the game and all the music we get is good. furthur has validity and some magical moments. billy should focus on the positive. he sounds like he has some hurt feelings. too bad, but i´ll still show up and give him some love for all the memories, new and old.

Bones December 2, 2010, 14:18:18

billy wtf man- thats weak as shit to be callin out your friends/bandmates like that. they are doin what they want to do and so are you, the younger generation probably appreciates Further a lot more because it’s new and its something that can be theirs. i saw Further a couple times less than a year ago and guess what, they fucking rocked, big surpirse i know.

mike December 2, 2010, 14:30:00

Maybe Bill is just jealous that Joe Russo is making people forget all about him….

All Around Fan December 2, 2010, 14:40:53

I have seen both groups and they are both great…...Furthur playing venues with 1,000’s of people. 7 Walkers plays dive bars…....I happen to love dive bars and really find the bigger venues a little less fun. Bill, just enjoy what your doing. Bob and Phil are having a blast, I have not seen them this animated for years…..I say only the Dead and their fans could support as many bands as they do.

Jay December 2, 2010, 14:44:08

If you guys think he just rattles this stuff off the top of his head, you probably don’t understand the band’s history. And he’s gone on the record before about his feelings of GD cover bands. And in all honesty, he’s not saying anything that a lot of people aren’t thinking. They aren’t doing anything new and they did hire a Jerry protégé. And he’s entitled to his opinions, he played with those guys for a loooong time. And for what he gave us all, we should not give him shit about it.

Powderfingers December 2, 2010, 14:55:36

Furthur is able to perform as tight as they do due to the fact that Bill is not the drummer. When the Furthur thing began, I was glad to see that Bill wasn’t part of it. They wouldn’t be pulling off these songs with the precision they are these days with Bill’s inconsistent timing. Also, Bill still gets very trashed these days. It may be fine for him playing in bars and all but no on major tours.

Fillmore Freddy December 2, 2010, 15:01:42

“Bill still gets very trashed these days” —- very true He was supposed to perform with a band earlier this fall at the Fillmore. I won’t say what band it was, but they had a full setup for him on stage and this successful, great band was looking forward to it. Bill was a no-show and canceled as the show was starting. I remember watching them get the second drum kit off the stage in a massive hurry and not happy about it. I wouldn’t ever go out of my way to see him. Complete loss of respect for him. Go Furthur! You guys look and sound clear headed and I enjoy it!

Emvibe December 2, 2010, 15:22:28

I cant believe this. I seen Furthur 6 times just this year and I seen the Rhythm Devils this year once. I had to travel for all shows. They sucked compaired to Furthur. The Rhythm Devils sound like one of those “COPY BANDS”. But Furthur takes it FURTHUR! Love the dead but man Billy thats harsh! I woudnt go out of my way again to see the Rhythm devils. But when it comes to furthur show me the way to the train station!!

Mark Russom December 2, 2010, 15:28:56

WHAT???... Hired SOME guitar player that’s not Warren? THANK BOB WEIR and PHIL for NOT bringing Warren!!!!!!! I’ve had enough Warren to last a life time. A REAL guitar player like John knows when to shine and when to hold back and save the spot light for the rest of the band! If I want to see “The Warren Show” I’ll buy Mule tickets. Blah!! If he don’t like Furthur He is crazy! So they haven’t done “drumz”, big deal “Ive heard enough of that song. John is a wonderful guitarist and hope he lasts a long time with these guys. If not him, then Jimmy Herring would be WAY better than Warren any day of the week!!! Hey Bill you got it ALL wrong!! They will let you play if you just ask!

Sgt. Pepper December 2, 2010, 15:38:26

: cough : JEALOUS : cough :

LeglizHemp December 2, 2010, 15:44:48

LOL Bill trashed….what a surprise. Was there a time when slowed down his drinking longer than a week? On the other side of the coin, Bill knows more about the topic of Further than any of us will ever know. His 2 cents on the subject are worthwhile.

Sg.t Pepper's Daddy December 2, 2010, 15:45:35

krishnabuddha December 2, 2010, 15:49:29

Not going to see either band but wish them both well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to set the record straight the drummer in the Grateful Dead that had no time was not Billy. Go back and listen to Europe 72 if you need proof. Just sayin’.

Chris James December 2, 2010, 15:53:40

I don’t know what’s behind this, but I’m also not so sure it matters. People say/feel things for lots of reasons… and the thoughts and feelings can and do change. I’ve loved what I’ve heard of Further and would probably (when and if) love Billy’s band, too. There shouldn’t really be any sort of competition (or whatever the background story might be). Warren did an amazing job playing with the Dead last year – stretching into areas he’s not at all known for… Further is a different animal, different drumming and different lead. Similar to Jerry? Absolutely… but not an imitation. One of the great things about listening to this band is hearing his own voice/style increasingly come through. Old songs, standard songs and new songs are all fresh, alive, creative and spirited… even inspirational. Let it grow. Everyone, including Billy (if and when he gets to hear it), should relax and enjoy the way it does – in so many very, very special directions.

Doug December 2, 2010, 16:04:12

Bills an awesome drummer.. I saw Furthur – they are tight.. But i don’t see Dead shows to see tight.. Thats what DSO is for. I’m not rushing out the door to see them. 7Walkers are great! A ton of fun. Bill is entitled to his opinion – I’ve certainly heard worse said by others in the band. peace.

stephen cutler December 2, 2010, 16:04:32

Pretty Lame Billy wtf?! Do yourself a favor and LISTEN to them they rule!

Adks12020 December 2, 2010, 16:10:41

Its really too bad to see this. Billy K always was the best drummer in the Grateful Dead. His band now is, well, pretty good. I don’t like Papa Mali much but you can’t really go wrong with Billk K and George Porter as the rhythm section of a band. That being said, the last Dead tour with Warren was HORRIBLE! The band sounded flat and confused for the majority of all those shows. I actually almost fell asleep during the show in Albany, NY because it was so boring. I am really glad they have John K, although as someone said above Jimmy Herring would be a real treat. I think Furthur is getting better and better and to say they aren’t doing anything new is just a lie. They are jamming songs together that the Grateful Dead NEVER did and in a style they NEVER played in. Plus their repertoire is getting larger every week and I think it will only get better. Too bad Billy K. I still love ya but drop the jealousy and and hatefulness and enjoy what you are doing.

Bethany December 2, 2010, 16:22:48

Hmmmm. Methinks Billy may have a good reason for his “attitude.” Anyway, DSO rocks it harder than either of these bands, IMO.

mark russom December 2, 2010, 16:29:37

Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE Futhur as is. Jimmy Herring would be my second choice! Add a second drummer if you must, but NO change is necessary or at all wanted!! Billy needs a more famous lead, then we swap out John for Jimmy. I wouldn’t change a thing, but Bill has this delusion about Warren and Warren is NOT a good fit at all!! Maybe Warren should try out for the Rhythm Devils! That has some potental!

marcus west December 2, 2010, 16:55:13

DSO spent many years copying GD verbatim, recreating shows and setlists right down to the mistakes. this is a fact. as a deadhead and a jerry lover (first show ’72) I have a hard time respecting that on any kind of longterm, artistic level, though I might dig it just from the angle of bringing back good memories, as I occasionally might enjoy a cover band. I do respect bobby and phil’s right to do whatever they feel is valid and I have heard further…I was fooled into thinking it was an old show from when jerry was alive…UNTIL I listened closer to the drums.
sorry, folks but NOBODY sounds like billy. not to take anythng away from the others, but he and jerry were so very important to the grateful dead’s sound – nobody can dismiss that.
yes, listen to europe ’72 (where billy was the only drummer) or garcia’s first solo album…recorded with just jerry, hunter and billy in the studio. that should also tell you something about how close he and jerry were as friends. no wonder billy’s not interested in a guitarist who spent most of his young life trying to fill jerry’s shoes, first in DSO and now with his former bandmates. how would you feel? I have also seen a half dozen 7 walkers shows and have found their new hunter penned songs and original take on dead classics to be much more exciting than the nostalgia factor offered by further. not only that, but I was blown away at how happy billy looked onstage and never once was he “trashed” – on the contrary, he and the incredible george porter on bass were bright-eyed, locked-in tight and totally grooving the capacity crowds from beginning to end. and no, they weren’t “dive bars”. don’t believe the hype…check out both bands and decide for yourself. I like em both for different reasons, but especially after hearing the 7 walkers record I think they win the prize for originality and are going to surprise everyone in the months and (hopefully) years to come. also very surprised that jambands.com would reprint such sensationalist non-news out of context. I read the entire story in it’s original Press Republican version – in the article billy also expressed his ongoing friendship and love for bobby, phil and mickey. I am just one of many who is very happy that bill is back and playing better than ever. he has earned the right to say whatever he feels.

Jason December 2, 2010, 16:57:56

I’m probably one of the biggest Warren fans out there. I love Gov’t Mule, the Allman Bros and early Phil & Friends, and have seen Warren many times with those bands and various other sit-ins. I’ve also seen him twice with the Dead a few years back and was thuroughly underwhelmed. Warren has a magical voice and guitar tone, but it is not a good fit with the Dead IMO.

Jamographer December 2, 2010, 17:15:29

Weir and Lesh have publically stated they really aren’t huge fans of the rythm devils segment of shows and are happy to not have it as part of Furthur. I think Kreutzmann is just throwing back a jab. As for the statement about Warren Haynes. NO! John Kadlecik is the right guitarist for Further. Oh by the way, I don’t mind paying $40 to see Furthur as opposed to the $90 I had to shell for The Dead with Haynes.

Poster Nutbag December 2, 2010, 18:16:58

The Grateful Dead were a great band! All these spin offs of the original just fall short. The Grateful Dead are the past and I am forever grateful for their music. It’s time to move on and open your eyes and ears to the second greatest band Phish. Why do so many Deadheads write off Phish without even listening to them? Open your mind and ears! Their will never be a Grateful Dead again, but their is Phish now. I will always be a Deadhead, but Phish is carrying the torch now until they pass it to the next greatest band for the next generation. Let’s keep moving forward with the real deal, not a spin off of an original.

docterjonez December 2, 2010, 18:18:10

Pissed off old Man…is what you sound like Billy. You and slowed every show down on that last “dead” tour with Haynes, who is also ill-suited to the JG role. Furthur KILLS any post-JG Dead reincarnation and JK smokes what Warren would do in this band. Haynes is great in the Allmanns, but not in this role – he made PLF and Dead shows pretty lame for me many times. Is billy pissed that he’s playin bars when Furthur is @ Madison Sq. Garden, or is he pissed that his best days are behind him and that Russo now is at least twice as good playin the GD catalog? He sounds like Billy in 1972-1974 right now. too bad you cant enjoy seeing others do well and admit that a young guy can play your shit better now than you can

Sooby December 2, 2010, 19:27:03

Props to Russo. He’s the shit right now. – that’s all I’m sayin

Name Required Here December 2, 2010, 19:37:31

“They should have hired a great solo guitar player.” OMGoodness, Bill, have you ever heard John play? Apparently Not. Let me just leave you with this quote from your current lyricist…“Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.”

Tiger Rose December 2, 2010, 19:43:16

John is a good fit for Furthur. Bobby and Phil wanted somebody who knew Jerry’s licks to the T and they got that in John. Personally I think it’s quite an honor to have dedicated your time and effort to recreate GD shows for a good part of your career then be asked to join a band with your idols. I think it’s great that Furthur is expanding their catalog and digging deeper into the GD archives. I also think it’s great to see them jam some of the songs that the GD didn’t jam often. As for the Rhythm Devils, I enjoyed the shows that I saw this past summer. They’re taking a different sound on the GD tune because that’s their choice. Bobby and Phil want to stay close to the GD sound so Furthur is perfect for that. I’m sure there’s more than meets the eye to the reasoning behind these comments, that’s fine. That’s their business. It would be nice to see Bobby, Phil, Mickey, and Billy get back together with Jimmy Herring and maybe Tom Constanten or somebody on keys when Panic is on hiatus. Billy has 7 Walkers because he wanted to take on new material and he’s entitled to do that. It’d also be neat to see Bobby or Phil sit in with the Walkers. Russo is on point, he’s younger of course Billy might be a little rusty he’s older, he’s entitled to make a mistake now and then.

acuts December 2, 2010, 19:49:19

Funny, the two greatest post GD bands never had Bill K in them. The Other Ones 98 Furthur

mixersteve December 2, 2010, 20:14:02

Well, I used to live you,Billy, but you’re just an old drunk has-been now. You’re jealous that Furthur is tighter with Russo than the GD ever was with you. Europe ’72 was the last time you rocked.
That was an asshole statement by a jealous drunk. Fuck you Billy.

CNOTE December 2, 2010, 20:52:33

BK is right. I was psyched when the Dead toured with Warren Haynes cause I thought he would take Dead songs to a whole new level but Bobby would cut him off and start soloing badly or they would play through something fast just to get it done. Total waste of Warren. Furthur is tired and to hire the DSO guitarist put the nail in the coffin on Dead bands. RIP

black peter December 2, 2010, 22:02:08

Billy is right. Anyone who think further is doing anything novel or interesting doesn’t remember the grateful dead. sorry but it’s true. They are boring.

JayO December 2, 2010, 22:05:19

Well ya know, Billy, aside from this here comment, Which is no new sentiment. BK is matter of fact, a deep intellectual gigantic friendly spirit. Until you’ve been around him, you would not perhaps imagine. Being in the presence of that man is immense. He is not an old drunk. He does drink a bit, however he’s in great shape for a man thats been rockin n rollin for over 45 years. I don’t agree with the comment about Warren though. Warren didnt have the whimsical magical touch that we associate with the band, where is JK is upon it. JK is having fun, Warren is way to serious for GD music IMO. There is a very distinctive difference between Jerry and JK. Only perhaps the most trained ear can decipher. The Grateful Dead had so much spirit which is what made it tolerable on not so amazing nights.
What i think is amazing is the continuance of this great music and songs. It brings gr8 folks together still.
I recently went to Furthur in nyc at the Garden and it was awesome to hear and see! And red Rocks, Unbelievable!. http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-09-25.mbho.flac16
I actually miss Billy and Mickey up there to. I love Russo, but he does not embody the spirit of BK, not yet at least.
Lets all try to celebrate the Grateful Dead music and cut out the harsh comments, still love bill for all the great years of music!

on the road again December 2, 2010, 22:12:18

children, children, children. . . . bill’s earned the right to his opinion. and that’s what it is HIS opinion. he’s been there since the beginning. what’s with all the slams and name calling? enjoy what you like and give others the same respect.

Eric December 2, 2010, 22:12:29

unfortunately, due to my age, i never had an opportunity to see the grateful dead, it kills me everyday. at least i have the opportunity to go furthur. no reason to hate on opportunity for the young’ns

gratefulade December 2, 2010, 23:19:55

I don’t think it was wrong of BK to say this, because they asked him a question and he answered it. I do think he is way off though. Furthur is absolutely rippin’ it up! (and just to prove my credentials I have in fact seen furthur, rhythm devils and 7 walkers) BTW, DSO does not create shows note for note including mistakes. It would be virtually impossible. They do in fact mess up but not on cue according to the original show. And I don’t think anyone should criticize any band for keeping this music alive. So, in 20 or so years, when the original members are all gone, the music should just die? I am incredibly thankful for bands like DSO that keep the music alive for me and my future grandkids.

CO December 2, 2010, 23:44:34

Who cares, BK had his opions about DSO and other cover bands. “If your going to put the time into it, then why don’t u make your own music”. which makes since. Warren is awesome, but probably too serious for some. That is why Dickie Betts is gone from the Allmans. Futhur is cool, the Dead were OK , and the other ones were cool. The GD is awesome, and awesome for not being tight all the time. The article is crap, cause it makes it look like Bill is being negative, and really isn’t. It is his band, not yours. I appreciate that bill is doing somthing new, but also appreciate that Furthur is going furthur. I think Furthur should work on more original stuff and create new things. But, Really this is a sham, just drama. JK and DSO do good, but don’t have the soul of the originals. So, take it all for what it is and don’t worry be happy. Everybody has their opinions, and that is all they are. All are good, even my drunk ass.

j in wdstk December 2, 2010, 23:59:14

If Billy likes Warren so much, maybe he can start a new band with him?

tall boy December 3, 2010, 00:37:33

Further at msg was epic,that was the real deal.best stuff since life after jerry period….billy is way out of line there.I hope further goes to the end…I will be on further tour forever.they are awesome.grateful dead forever.no time to hate…..

Sammy Martin December 3, 2010, 00:38:27

honesty!

ED December 3, 2010, 01:49:06

Bryannabis December 3, 2010, 02:38:48

Interesting variety of comments on this bummer interview. I have definately had some awesome times with all the incarnations of the post Jerry Dead, some disappointing times as well, but I keep goin’ back!! The spirit of the music and community is so potent with Furthur, it feels fresh and new to me. Mixing up the setlists like crazy, new tunes, EPIC jams, people thoroughly getting off on the music and the scene, bringing in John was the perfect choice in my opinion. New fresh energy complementing the old farts and sparking the shit outta them! It’s all about the Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion. Furthur’s on it, big time.

Ramie December 3, 2010, 02:46:30

Bill who?

John December 3, 2010, 03:14:36

20,000 people at Madison Square Garden disagree with Bill and I for one am sure glad. Furthur is THE BEST post-Grateful Dead band yet. I for one am grateful to be hearing the music I love done the way it’s supposed to be done. Warren while great with The Allmans, drove me nuts when he played with The Dead..his style did NOT fit with this music. The Grateful Dead has been gone for 15 years and finally before Phil and Bob retire we get once again get to hear the closest thing to a Grateful Dead show. John K is a true artist and the way he emulates Jerry tone and style is much welcomed by myself and many many others. John has the essence of Jerry in his fingers and soul. Thank you Furthur…Bill, I wish you would stop being a hater. My 2 cents.

JayO December 3, 2010, 03:39:55

Oh…with furthur comment, i think Bill may have decent reason to feel hurt or bitter, who knows whats really goin on. BK’s band 7 Walkers is really cool and original, even though they also play GD songs and Hunter written songs, which is great. I imagine they ALL realize how special of a relationship and community they helped bring together. What would life be like without the Grateful Dead…dark thought…
Also realize Jerry was Bill’s greatest friend. so imagine how he feels to be outside of the band sorta carrying the torch. For Bill to see someone else play Jerry’s music who is not the one and only Jerry, must be awkward. Bill loved Jerry and was very close to him from the beginning. Hard to relate to the immense history if your not in Bills shoes. Now I hope Billy, Mickey, Phil, and Bobby play again soon, and i hope JK is there too. that would be epic!
...Let the words be yours, Im done with mine”
...rizzzzzzz

wellwisher December 3, 2010, 11:55:49

As a musician in a number of bands and a veteran of the Jerry Garcia Grateful Dead years… I have to agree with Billy…
I mean the man’s rich and has seen it ALL.. There’s no regrets that I see. Playing the same shit to please other people can be really unsatisfying to one’s self. JMO

ryan December 3, 2010, 07:44:21

ive seen great GD shows and no so good ones.. but what carried all the bad shows was the spirit and culture of the scene.. this is NOT the GD and im ok with that.. what it has is the spirit and culture and thats what im after since there will never be another GD.. does bill drink to much? idk, maybe, but it dont make ya a bad person.. there have been many demons that the GD bandmates had to deal with.. so who am i to judge.. wish bill and all the rest the best.. if 7 walkers gets in my neck of the woods, i’d definatly go see them..

Pat McDonough December 3, 2010, 07:55:57

Mark Russom nailed it. I never want to hear Warren with theses guys again. He brings too much southern twang to the music (I enjoy southern twang, just not with this music). Jimmy Herring I always thought was a great fit for these guys, but Im glad they chose Kadlecik. I wish they would let John sing more songs!! No one really needs a negative vibe, Billy do your thing and enjoy your millions.

chris December 3, 2010, 08:01:55

Well lets get real here hippies, nothing can compare to the places Phil and Friends took the music. It was real beacause it was raw. Exactly like what the grateful dead did. Bill is half right. JK is not the “best” person for the job because of his knowledge of the music. However, he still can nail some tunes, while some fall by the wayside. Its simple, he’s just not as proficiant as a Warren Haynes etc. Isn’t that what The Dead was all about though? Being in the moment?

CircleLimit December 3, 2010, 10:04:34

Oh, thank god. I came rushing in here fearful that his jab was directed a Joe Russo. I think he knows better. Age doesn’t have too much to do with it. Russo is more solid, has better timing than even young Billy, and Furthur’s sound is much tighter than the Dead or Rhythm Devils ever were, IMHO. I can’t take credit for this quote but I think it’s on point and hilarious “The Dead’s drummers sounded like 3 sneakers in a clothes dryer”. John K is doing a very good job but Russo is the MVP of Furthur for me. All that being said, Billy has earned his right to his opinion.

Adam December 3, 2010, 10:27:54

Bill,
You sound like sour grapes. I’ve seen Further 12 times including Red Rocks & MSG. They are by far the best post GD band. The Dead ’09 tour had so many disappointments. I agree Warren is a great musician but he does not work well with the “Dead”. I don’t know if the other band members would not let him but it was painful at times. Quite frankly, I would rather see Jackie Green in that slot. But this isn’t about Warren. I will hop on a plane and fly from Boston to CO every year to see Further. Bill, if you play a local dive, I will be there, but your to old and done to much to be bitter. “Enjoy the ride”

Been there December 3, 2010, 10:36:12

Sorry, KIDS, but I happen to agree with everything Billy said. I was bored at Further, and the John,Warren or anyone else will NEVER be a replacement for Jerry. Jerry is gone, and he ain’t coming back. The music should go on, but it will NOT be the DEAD. Warren was great because he did add new flavor to the music. He was not trying to “re-enact” the Grateful Dead, because you can’t. You all should listen and not bash the opinion of an original member of the Grateful Dead, who does see the difference w/o Jerry and see’s that the music can go on w/o being a “cover band” of what once was. How many of you have actually seen Jerry and understand what he was trying to say? Give Billy a break and let him have an opinion FFS! that is my two cents.

Andy C. December 3, 2010, 10:44:05

Honestly the Dead with Warren Haynes is disapointing I have seen Furthur 8 times since they have started and every single one of those performances were nothing short of Epic. To see Bobby and Phil up there so happy makes me extremely happy…And for John K. he is living his dream and I fee is acting as a vesel for Jerry his spirit to me flows right through and I believe Jerry is smiling down…...Bill has his right to his opinion but I think we would be ignorant to believe that jealousy was not a main factor to which fuel the fire for this to have even been said…..AND there is no way that Bill has even heard John K. really RIP he does the GD music more than justice … I am blessed to have purposed to my wife at MSG 11/20 and then enjoyed the next night with my fiance 11/21 for one of the best weekends of my entire life!!!!Keep up the good work to all carrying on this beautiful message!!!

Zach December 3, 2010, 10:50:31

Eh, BK is definitely entitled to his opinion and knows the GD band politics better than any of us do. MY opinion, however, is that Furthur is straight nailing it and JK is money on lead and isn’t just “re-creating” Garcia. I’ve seen Furthur twice so far (Philly and MSG) and hope to many more times because they are killing it. I’ll check out Billy’s band if they come nearby, but I’ll travel to see Furthur because they are playing that well right now.

scdeadhead December 3, 2010, 11:00:35

Billy, Billy, Billy
Having always been the weakest link in an otherwise phenomenal band of friends that just happened to make incredible music, I would expect these comments. Have seen
Furthur 8 times this year and they have grown better all year. Honestly the two Madison Square garden shows may have been the best two back to back shows I have seen in 20 years. They easily could be put up against the 1989 Warlock shows. did miss two drummers on Terrapin, but Russo is fabulous and with John you again have three people soloing on stage and coming together to make incredible music. Now- if Bobby would quit screwing around with his equipment and realize nobody is listening to him anyway, things would be prefect!!! Can’t wait for New year’s!!!

Drumhead December 3, 2010, 11:38:41

I have to say, I loved seeing Furthur at Red Rocks this past summer. Great Terrapin jam… And King Solomon’s… Things that I wished GD did back in the day. Face it, GD did get in a kind of standardized rut. A very professional sounding rut but very predictable. Every now and then the brilliance of the boys back in the day came thru. I see that brilliance in the jamming that Furthur does. On the other hand I have a hard time with JK’s singing some of Jer classics like Stella Blue.
The jam in Dew was monumental but there’s a certain wooble or subtly that Jer had that JK doesn’t. Furthur is much more polished than the Dead were. I understand Billy’s perspective. Jer was a lifelong friend and musically THE Origional. All of these guys have earned the right to their own opinions and the right to do whatever they want. More power to you Billy and I look forward to catching one of your shows… my opinion bout Warren… He’s great but not with the Dead.

Adam December 3, 2010, 11:38:42

Let’s face it, the only way Billy is getting into MSG is with a ticket…..enough said!!!

Martin December 3, 2010, 13:10:33

I read that and thoght, ‘miserable git’
further is amazing

WHH December 3, 2010, 13:11:06

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Get over it! They are “your” brothers. From a popular stand point, he has no argument, yet I like what he is doing with his Rhythm Devils (saw the new incarnation this summer) and 7 Walkers (heard some cuts with Papa Creech-Nawlins style) projects and they both do exhibit some dynamic creativity, beyond just recreating. This is due to probably, and mainly incorporating a more dynamic variety of musicians with a different fundamental concept than Furthur (Weir Lesh), who’s vision quest is to recreate themselves and their music beyond or Furthur from where they have been. Both are still all about the music, I think. Kruetzman has a very linear or narrow minded understanding and possible jealousy for JK. He fails to see (probably intentionally) that JK goes well beyond old GD/Dead realms and creates something different in his own right.

WHH December 3, 2010, 13:15:19

(attached to above) . . . and when I say “go beyond” I mean no disrespect to to Captain Trips becuase their will be no other and JK would not “exist” if it was not for Garcia!

Michael December 3, 2010, 13:26:01

Furthur is 10 times better then those Dead shows with Warren Haynes and Mickey Hart. Kruetzmann is a joke and his drumming on that tour stunk. Good riddence. John Kadelecik is a great guitar player. Hey Bill enjoy playing in front of 300 people. Seen over a dozen Furthur shows and they are great.

matthau December 3, 2010, 13:30:00

Honestly, Billy and Mickey kind of sound like shit these days and they ruined the Dead tour a few years back. Plus, Warren Haynes isn’t meant to be playing Dead tunes. To me, Furthur is a great thing and it sounds closer to the the real thing then anything that has been done since the Grateful Dead died. Now if only the ABB would get rid of their drummers. Because all great bands are only as good as their drummers.

Too Bad December 3, 2010, 13:52:29

Too bad him and his girlfriend are doing so many drugs that they didn’t want him to be a part of Furthur.
Plus it must hurt to see Russo be the MVP of this project.

RAW77 December 3, 2010, 13:56:18

Whatever band Phil is in, is where the soul of the music is, no jab at Porter, he’s unbielievable, but he’s not Phil. Furthur is soundin sweet. Was at opener for this tour and was watching alot of old deadheads during comes a time, seen them real interested when JK was goin into Jerry’s part just to see if he hit it and didn’t see anyone frowning! I could be criticle with new members too, but it’s about keeping the music alive right? Peace and Love everybody!

Dool December 3, 2010, 14:29:00

Billy is right.

lucy December 3, 2010, 14:45:26

TSK TSK! It’s amazing how quickly you supposed peace lovin hippies turn violent with abusive name calling if an original founding member of the GD- when solicited in an interview – has an authentic opinion. Would you rather he lie? He didn’t go out and start smearing Furthur, he was asked a question. And answered honestly. Since when is being honest considered a bad trait? JK cannot play out simple as that and BK knows it.

lucy December 3, 2010, 14:57:15

@ Too Bad, Seriously? I want to hang out with Billy & his gurl. and OBTW- everybody knows that GD & Furthur have nothing to do with drugs consumption.

Powderfingers December 3, 2010, 14:58:25

RAW77 said what I have been declaring for years – Phil’s presence makes the band he is in at the time the best of the current Dead family bands. The Phil & Friends lineups over the years have been beautiful to experience. I went to 4 Furthur shows in 2010 and really enjoyed all of them. They clearly have taken the Furthur project very seriously and it shows when they execute the songs so well.

How it should be December 3, 2010, 17:55:35

How it should be:
Phil doing Phil and Friends, Weir doing Ratdog, Billy doing 7 Walkers, Mickey beating on african drums. Quit trying to carry on the Dead, the torchbearer has passed and you are all better off going your separate ways. I frankly think its disrespectful to hire someone who copys someone so special and unique like jerry. Ever heard of letting something beautiful and unique just be and not manipulate it?

carol siriusb December 3, 2010, 18:07:33

A lot of you are correct in what you say. Like this music, it’s complicated. It’s rude, presumptive and adolescent for you (us) to act like Billy doesn’t have a right to express himself. As stated, he was asked a question and he answered it honestly. Hello? You have a problem with this? (which is what YOU are doing as well)...
Further is NOT the grateful dead (no CAPS in the name, remember? there was a point to that). It is carrying the music and community further so that Jerry’s (could be ALL caps) death didn’t mean the end of a community- generating phenom that also made music. This experience is embedded in the community experience. The Trips (festivals/tests/graduations) were not about the music alone but the experience of music inside this community experience. Maybe what’s missing in all of this is the acid. The POINT of a lot of it was to evolve, with the aid of acid, into a new reality where we see each other as equals – that each is another yourself. We co-created this music on a really good night. If you weren’t a part of or even aware of this aspect, you missed the point. The acid was the vehicle as was the music, to a newly created community where we treat each other with respect and love.

John December 3, 2010, 18:10:53

Jerry was about the music.
He is rolling over as this blog occurs.
If the vibe continues with Furthur it is all good.
And everyone in the original band got very wealthy while on this ride so they can do whatever projects they choose forever after.
Too bad this writer probably twisted a very simple comment by Billy to make it seem like he has any problems with Furthur.

JB December 3, 2010, 18:48:52

I really appreciated the passion people have exhibited on the topic…that’s the power of music! Billy is on the money with his comment on the subject as much as “how it should be” comment is. And for those who defend Furthur with talk of the positive vibes and it’s all about the music: there are a lot of great creative ground breaking bands out there that have the same elements you seek, so it’s not an excuse to justify Furthur’s over the top expensive ticket of tired sounding-rehashed material with a Jerry clone(seems pathetic for a such talented musician to dedicate all of his time and effort to sound exactly like Jerry; there will never be another Jerry!). They were better off with Warren & Jimmy Herring. And I suspect that most of the defenders of Furthur never saw Jerry at the helm to begin with. And for those who don’t know or forget: if Billy had left the band in the early 70’s instead of Mickey the Dead would have never survived and we wouldn’t be having this discussion, so cut the guy some slack. He knows more than most on this topic! I’m not saying you shouldn’t enjoy Furthur if it moves you, but don’t disrespect the man because of his opinion and everything he did to keep that band rolling on, in my humble opinion. Peace!

marcus west December 3, 2010, 19:34:00

how many of you folks who are hatin’ on BK actually read THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW? http://www.stateofmindmusic.com/entry/1128/Paddling-Out:-A-Conversation-with-Bill-Kreutzmann/page=3 It is a (mostly) very positive conversation and a very entertaining article that reveals Billy, as always. to be a humble, thoughtful, enlightened soul who puts his money into protecting the oceans and would “rather have a good friendship hug from a Deadhead than a pat on the back from some corporation” (his own words, not mine) Shame on JamBase for not including the whole quote, in context, as is still the standard for responsible journalism. Here is what was said, in sequence, IN THE SAME INTERVIEW immediately following the ‘Warren’ quote:
________________________
INTERVIEWER: At the All Good Festival last year I remember you said some interesting things to JamBase about Dark Star Orchestra (“I think if you’re going to spend that much time on music you should work on your own music.”).
BK: I really felt bad after I said that. They have the right to approach me the way they want to. For me to say they aren’t doing their own thing‚ that’s making a judgment. I’m not God. I can’t make judgments on people. I wish I could take that back. I forgave myself for making that statement. What I really wanted to say is that I wouldn’t have done it that way. Not to say that it’s good or bad.
INTERVIEWER: How’s your relationship with Bob [Weir] and Phil [Lesh] these days?
We saw each other at the [San Francisco] Giants game for Jerry’s birthday. We talk on the internet all time. We have our Grateful Dead meetings‚ too.
INTERVIEWER: Good terms?
BK: Yeah‚ definitely!
___________________________

marcus west December 3, 2010, 19:42:12

oops, that should have read ‘shame on jambands.com’ NOT JamBase.

Dave December 3, 2010, 20:09:32

Being familiar with John’s playing and singing, I wanted to see what DSO is up to with their “new” Jerry. So I went to a show when they played here in Sacramento. I was very surprised that they put on a wonderful concert. The band is awesome, the new Jerry does a great job, and their sound system is amazing. Furthur shows can be a lot of fun, but John is the weak link for me. He’s a good musician and well studied, but sometimes I find his playing a bit grating. And I would be fine with never hearing him sing again. As a group, though, Furthur is pretty hot. I’ll go see them again. And DSO fer sure.

PeedOff December 3, 2010, 20:09:55

There has been no GD music since Jerry died. The best post Jerry was The Other Ones with Steve Kimock, hands down. All this shit music they play now is just cover crap. Billy hit the nail on the head.
PeedOff

lucy December 4, 2010, 03:24:03

BILLY K – CHALLENGING THE GDMUSICKEEPIN IT REAL!!! PROTECTING THE GD ARCHIVE – NO IMPOSTERS – Only AUTHENICAS MAY ENTER & INTERPATATE YO!

divisions December 4, 2010, 07:03:10

When i cruise the jam scene music sites and check out the blogs all i see is complaints and judgements. This band is better then this one or they were better back then or they are all this or that blah blah . then I went and checked out the Grammy nominations and was shocked at what is up for awards this year for the mainstream. Why can’t we all realize that all the bands and players in our jam scene are amazing beyond !!! all of them …... if we can not unify as a music family then we are lost. you might as well go get some Justin Bieber downloads . I love all of the music …. Seven Walkers, Furthur, Umphreys, Widespread, SCI, moe. Phish, on and on we are so lucky to have such great music !!! they all rock and are the best music being made on the planet right now!
lets stop the divisions. peace

Spencer December 4, 2010, 11:21:02

Good call Bill! I have been saying that since the beginning and thought Warren worked fantastic with the core four, wish that line-up was still touring. Rhythm Devils this summer with Keller and Davey was sweet. and hope you bring RD back soon!

Dallas112263 December 4, 2010, 13:05:17

It has always been my contention that we, the Deadheads, advanced from a “fan base” to a culture some two decades ago, the robust argument and extensive commentary on this page are only a small testament to our cultural vitality. The Grateful Dead died and was risen more than once… I’m just a pup at 54, first taste Winterland ’70, and I have been who I became for over 40 years. And it’s not just a musical thing, or a common herb, it’s an attitude about the Planet, about people and relationships, about equity and humanity, about fallibility, struggle and redemption. In the last few years I have settled in as one of the Deadicated Maniacs, New Years with Further, Phil had a great Birthday, we went back to Calaveras and it was cool this time, and Further was all I could expect, those two old men, Phil and Bob, drive that band hard. But I’ve also been to a dozen David Nelson Band shows in Hawaii and Northern California in the last couple years, all incredible, even the bar shows, hell, especially the bar shows! DNB is, I think, the best of them for original material and Deadicated Maniac audiences, new stuff from Robert Hunter and a steel pedal with Barry Sless behind it doesn’t hurt either. This is a group of accomplished artists, John Molo needs no intro, already one of the best of the Jamband drummers. Mookie Siegle tinklin’ ivory will get you jivin’ fast and if you Believed in Miracles then you already know bassist Pete Sears. David Nelson is a walking miracle, beginning his career with Jerry in like 1962… When these guys get hummin’ they burn it down! So bury your hatchets and save your pennies and come to Hawaii in January and find out for yourselves… Those of you in SF, I’ll see ya tonight as we celebrate Jerry Garcia, the Wheel and party for the Rex Foundation at the Fillmore… Like I said… It’s not a band, it’s not the music, it’s a culture… Ours.
RGJ/Dallas112263

SpikeAmind December 4, 2010, 17:50:27

Lost in this bashing are the many decades of incredible moments up/down/twisted around. Feelings only the bandmembers know about…who are we to say anything about what we don’t know?
Does Billy get paid for anything from the revenue on Further’s tour…anyone know the answer? Whatever he’s attempting to say, how it may/may not get around, and what the heck it doesn’t mean- thats as far as that goes to these gents- not any Further. I’ve had fun at a few of the new Further shows, and honestly- I never get over “fake Jerry” – he’s a talented musician that has the stones to get a groove on in front of arena sized crowds- that demands some respect- I just laugh at these shows, anyhow, Bob looks like a shaggy dog and Phil is alive and well….thats what truly matters.

partyin peeps December 5, 2010, 00:10:34

why is warren haynes so overrated?

Watchman December 5, 2010, 03:22:33

I’ve seen Furthur 5 times now, and every time the shows were excellent, and a couple were extraordinary. The band is outstanding, and while they aren’t playing the tunes way different from some traditional dead, they are still a blast to listen to. I had the chance to see 7 Walkers and I thought they were great…The Other Ones, The Dead with Warren, Rat Dog, Phil and Friends, and Furthur and 7 Walkers…they are all a treat no need to bash. his

Jake December 5, 2010, 10:40:44

Was that the same AllGood Festival where DSO invited Billy to play with them, even offering him $ to do so? My understanding is Billy agreed to do it for a bit more $ than they initially offered but come show time Billy was a no-show. I think he was maybe a bit embarrassed that BK3 was opening up for DSO and not the other way around. Regardless as to why, he ended up snubbing them after agreeing to sit in. I wonder if he forgave himself for that too?

Jacob December 5, 2010, 17:48:21

I agree with bill. I saw furthur a few times, and was wholly underwhelmed each time. I’ve seen the other offshoot bands, and I even dug ratdog, but Phil & Friends was the only one that really stuck out because instead of hiring a jerry, he got people to play their own way, bringing all the new perspectives to the songs. Furthur is incredibly overrated to me. Each time I’ve seen them, Bob’s out of it and forgets the songs, joe russo’s in his own world (almost like if the dead was just mickey), and phil, jeff, and “jerry” were the only ones carrying the band. As extreme as it sounds, that’s honestly what I think of them. I can understand why people still see them, but I think that they’re overrated.

Andy C. December 6, 2010, 09:39:36

This message is for the guys comment above…... I play in a grateful dead tribute band myself and they have been playing since 1987 in Connecticut and people are still going to see Furthur as Well as come to us….“Shakedown” because we are a community of people who love the grateful dead and love fun and caring people coming together with positive energy!!All these blogs make me sick with the negativity if one person likes Phil and the other likes Bob what does that matter as long as we ALL love the Grateful Dead and the beauty they brought to our planet….Lets respect that and all of these ARTISTs music as I strongly believe that is what Jerry would want….....I think we are all very lucky to have Furthur, DSO, 7 Walkers, Rythm Devils, out there giving us all chance to see many perspectives on the Grateful Deads music …each one of the bands will draw together that loving community that I was previously talking about ….Peace and Love all my fellow family

Andy C December 6, 2010, 09:43:10

Oh and FYI I saw Furthur, DSO, and Rythm Devils at vibes this year they were all absolutely amazing shows and all lifted my spirit and touched my heart!!! Thanks again to the big boys

Tim December 6, 2010, 09:51:48

Sounds like sour grapes. I was so bored with the last show with both Warren and Billy I left and never went back until they hired Kadlecik, When Bill says contradicts itself. You can argue Bob and Phil have lost some creative juices, but Kadlecik has lots of them. Warren was a predictable as Old Faithful and the Mickey and Billy show lost it’s creative flare over 10 years ago. Really it sounds like a guy with a chip on the shoulder, not real careful analysis.

Dave the Rave December 6, 2010, 14:01:12

Glad I didn’t waste any time or money going to a 7 Walkers show. Furthur ROCKS, I’ve been going to Dead shows since 1973. I saw “the Dead” with Bill and Warren in 09. Those rhythm devils couldn’t keep the beat. Warren didn’t know the material and didn’t sound natural with them. I have seen Furthur shows and John really makes me feel good. It makes me feel good that Bobby and Phil want to keep on giving us “Our Music.” THank you guys. Billy: you are a has been. 7 Walkers: keep walking.
Thanks, Dave

Doudoune Moncler December 7, 2010, 04:46:55

Doudoune Moncler
UGG Australias Doudoune Moncler Femme Doudoune Moncler Homme Doudoune Moncler Femme Doudoune Moncler Homme Moncler Bonnet et Echarpe Moncler Femme Long Jacket Moncler Femme short Jacket Moncler Homme Long Jacket Moncler Homme short Jacket Moncler Sacs Moncler Bottes Moncler Gilet Pull Moncler Homme

Corey December 7, 2010, 11:34:43

Hey, I figured you guys might be looking for affordable gifts for the Deadheads on your lists, so check out SunshineJoy.com. You can use the coupon code “WINTERLAND” to save 20% if you order before 12/09.

Mike C December 7, 2010, 15:34:03

The real sad part is that the ENTIRE GD family is a bunch of ungrateful pre-madonna’s already. The fatman has been gone for how many years now and they honored him on ONE occasion. A bunch of spoiled brats who now are complaining about of all things new music. California really is wine country.

fred cothard December 7, 2010, 18:08:14

what I want to knowho is are you kind?

Wharf Rat68 December 7, 2010, 19:28:27

After having not seen the Dead or any Dead cover bands since Jerry dies in 1995…this summer/fall I took the plunge and saw three DSO shows, a Rhythm Devils show and a Further show I would have to say DSO is where it’s at! They seem to have the way of recreating what the Dead had and then taking it all a step tighter!!!

UGG Australias December 8, 2010, 01:54:21

Doudoune Moncler

Cosmic Charlie December 8, 2010, 13:01:38

I agree with Billy. I saw the Grateful Dead over 200 times, and all of the post gd bands were WEAK. Jerry was the MAN, but he died. You can not replace him, stop trying. Let Bobby be Bobby and let Phil be Phil. To have them do ALL Jerry songs is weak Go back to Weir and Wasserman. At least thats authentic

danfreakinmorris December 8, 2010, 21:42:25

As a long time fan…144 shows… I would like to throw my 2 cents in the mix… Please stop the sport analogies like John’s better than Warren and Warren smokes John bullshit! It’s art and soul business people so get a grip… John is a great conduit for Jerry’s music BUT it will never be anything more than a copy man, pure and simple. Why not move the fuck on and try something new? I will always cherish the GRATEFUL Dead and their legacy but what new places are Further capable of taking you, the listener? I said new brothers and sisters not a nostalgia act, move on and for god sakes fucking grow, change. Try something derived from the beauty and the essence of the GD experience. This petty backstabbing bullshit is a direct result of dipping in the well for too long….retire in peace boys please

C December 9, 2010, 04:16:29

out of context. read the full interview… http://www.stateofmindmusic.com/entry/1128/Paddling-Out:-A-Conversation-with-Bill-Kreutzmann/page=3

Furthur 4 Life December 9, 2010, 04:34:52

He’s just pissed he’s not in Furthur, They are killing it, best post GD Incarnation of the band.

lucy December 9, 2010, 12:58:02

If you think Billy has lost the beat – Ck this out or STFU http://www.archive.org/details/PapaMali2010-04-09.flac16

Cloudy Knight December 10, 2010, 00:52:08

I just saw 7 Walkers and let me tell you Bill Kreutzmann has some nerve putting down Furthur. And I’m not a huge Furthur fan.

Adam December 10, 2010, 14:17:24

Billy – What satisfaction do you get by saying over and over that you dislike John Kadlecik? Let it be Billy, let it be! Obviously Phil and Bobby could care less about your opinion. Keep on jammin with 7 Walkers, its very good stuff! Enough with showing your jealousy towards Furthur.

Dave December 10, 2010, 16:52:50

To those who say that we should be grateful for any music that these bands make, I say listen to The Dead 7/31/2003. I dl’s this show a while ago and just listened to some of it last night. I started with Lazy River Road from set 1 . . . it was a disaster. Bob and Phil traded off singing verses, and both forgot lyrics and mumbled through the song. The band didn’t know the song at all. They ruined it. For them to charge us fans money to see them destroy a lovely Jerry/Hunter song is disrespectful of us and the artists. I’ve gone to post-GD shows and witnessed this slaughter myself, and been disgusted. Thank goodness Dylan sat in with the band for a few songs at this 2003 show and brought some class. That crusty old bastard knows what he’s doin’.

Will December 10, 2010, 16:58:01

All I listen to is the GD channel on Sirius. I love the Grateful Dead. That said, I don’t care much for Further or 7 Walkers. Let’s face it, many members have come and gone with the Grateful Dead, but when Jerry was gone… It was really over. I miss Jerry. And don’t take Bill’s comments personal. We’re all allowed to express an opinion.

Doudoune Moncler December 11, 2010, 02:16:22

Doudoune Moncler

Beth Diamond December 11, 2010, 11:31:54

WE COMPLETELY CONCUR WITH THE RHYTHM DEVILS!!! After 32 years playin’ with the band we are completely disgusted.Saw 2 ABB shows before going to Furthur and it was anti-climatic.The A-Brothers have great drummers and the 2 best living guitarists on the planet.
Jill Lesh is single-handedly destroying the integrity of her band both in a musical and a business sense by refusing to pay for good talent. How many of you know what she did?She deducted a quarter mil from everyone’s salary on DEAD tour.She refuses to pay the original band members on par with Bobby & Phil,saying they’re not worth as much.Hey Jill-you get what you pay for.Unfortunately,so do we.
We are into journeying with the music, not replaying our old tapes. Bill-we’ll be seeing alot of you on 7 Walkers tour!Can’t wait to see ya!
HAPPY FREAKIN’ NEW YEAR EAST COAST!!!!!!!!!! ‘TIS A LIBERATION CELEBRATION!!!!! !!!!!!

Bharv December 11, 2010, 15:04:46

C’mon now Bill. I’d like to make it clear that I never saw the GD i’m 21 now and have been seeing post-dead projects for 5 years. I’ve seen furthur a few times and caught the rhythm devils at the vibes. I was sorely disappointed with the performance and band selection. I was a few rows back and ended up extremely bored. Furthur, on the other hand, absolutely killed it.

CL December 11, 2010, 21:25:29

Hey now! Them’s fightin’ words Billy. JK is a great guitarist; and, Furthur is a legitimate concern with new song material and are keeping the grateful flame burnin’ bright. Furthur is TIGHT! I guess Billy is just green with jealousy. They’re tight as a walnut; go to a show and you’ll see. Sir Joe Russo is a monster drummer. When you add him to the Bobby Phil equation with the added vocals of Jeff P and Sunshine you’ve got Furthur (and I didn’t even touch on the sorcery of Jeff Chimenti on keys). In my opinion, they are the best incarnation of anything from the GD family since Jerry’s death. Their sound is GD but it’s honestly Furthur through and through. No joke!; and, yes I did see shows when Jerry was alive (not just 1 or 2) and I miss him dearly!!!! I loved the man, he was a God in my book. He will be forever missed, someone who should be with us today. But He’s Gone!. And so, the spirit of the sound and the soul of the scene lives on with Furthur. No other scene compares as far as I’m concerned (Phish is a definite 2nd). Thanks to Furthur for offering us this seemingly last chance to feel the inspiration while it moves us brightly. Seriously folks, get it while you can. The gettin’ is SO darn good right about now. Thanks FURTHUR.

Hugo Vukyersof December 11, 2010, 22:57:16

I have seen every dead incarnation since The Grateful Dead, enjoying them all for various reasons. Saw Rythym Devils do the mellowest almost purely GD set with Keller Williams at String Summit this year. It was good, but mellow. Furthur is my favorite dead-ish band since the GD. I just love it, sounds great…so good, and anyone who attended Eugene shows a few months ago can tell that the new songs they are breaking out like “The Mountain Song” and such are straight up incredible. I quit going to see any GD band that had Warren in it. I just got bored of his tired ass licks. I love the Mule and Warren has definetly rocked my world a few times, but i really started to crave a guitarist who at least had a similar tone to Jerry. Jerry’s tone was what a lot of the GD music was based around. While Warren is a extremely accomplished guitar player, he just sounds more like Greg Allman circa “I’m No Angel” when he was married to Cher, rather than Jerry. Total GD buttrock. Warren sucks except when its in the Mule and that gets tired pretty quick to. I thought Kimock was good in the part, cuz he could hit the jerry tones, but he didn’t sing. Sure JK is a little strange in his utter jerryness, but he sings great and plays those notes like no other and it has completly resparked my passion for seeing live GD music. Screw Billy if he can’t see the greatness n this band. I’d rather go see them then Rythym Devils any day o the week, or the tri-chromes, or any other of Billy’s barbands/GD cover bands. Get real Billy, every one of you is in some sort of GD cover band rehashing the same tunes in one way or another. Furthur sounds better than The Other Ones ever did, or “The Dead” in any incarnation. These guys Rock and its me me hard musically. Last year you never could have convinced me I would go see another GD band 10 times in the following year. But i did, and thats because Further is one great band. Grow up Billy.

Max December 12, 2010, 00:16:11

Bob, Phil – WRITE SOMETHING DAMMIT !!!! PLEASE BE ARTISTS !!! TERRAPIN PART II – IS PRIME. BRING IN EVERYONE OF THE LAST15 YEARS WORTH OF CORE-FOUR GUESTS ON THE PROJECT – and give Robert Hunter some voice in this, let him be the producer. ADD JUST FOUR OR FIVE NEW SONGS BEYOND THAT AND WHAMMO YOU HAVE RE-SUPER-CHARGED GRATEFUL DEAD NATION FOR THE AGES, AND MADE US ONCE AGAIN FINALLY PROUD TO BE WHO WE ARE, AND ONCE AGAIN HAVE STRIVED FOR THE HIGHEST RESPECT FOR THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE BEST OF THE BEST OF FANS, LIKE IT ONCE WAS. OTHERWISE – I TOO AM FAR GONE AND SICK OF THE DEARTH OF ANYTHING TRULY FRESH, ALONG WITH A LOT OF OTHER MUSICIALLY AND ARTISTICALLY INTELLIGENT FANS THAT HAVE VANISHED INTO THE UNDER-SPHERE. FRANKLY – 1950/60’S JAZZ DOES MUCH MORE FOR ME THESE DAYS – IF I WANT TO LISTEN TO IMPROVISATION. OH, AND ONE OTHER THINGSTAY THE HELL AWAY FROM POLITICS PLEASETHAT USED TO BE THE BEST THING ABOUT THE GRATEFUL DEAD – “WE DONT WAVE THOSE FLAGS”. BI-GONE
MAX

King D December 12, 2010, 01:53:49

Unfortunately, politics does play a role in the gd, at least in the last bunch of years. From what I hear, many of the remaining members don’t even like each other. Bob and philm are just money hungry. Phils the Only one at one of the recent board meetings in the past year who voted no to giving I believe a mere 1% of profits to longtime gd family. Since the band has always needed a unanimous vote on all issues, people who have been involved for many years and have helped in some way to get the band to where finished off in 95 are simply left screwed. I’m talking roadies and their fams, gd mail-order posse, etc. Phils Gotta figure out somehow to make the payments on his Ross property. I leave all the bullshit aside and attend furthur shows cause I simply love the music and the scene. Most of my older friends won’t attend, and think bob and Phil are lame as well as Jill lesh. If jerry’s rolling over in the grave, it’s not cause John k has stepped to the plate. It’s cause of all the bullshit that’s gone on since jer’s been gone.

sweet December 12, 2010, 22:30:10

Doudoune Moncler

Max December 12, 2010, 23:50:33

Dearest Kind King D… Tis with thyne highest respect I have returnith and appeal to the words of my royal and fellow kindom dweller…I wonder sometimes if any one listens to anyone else at all ? I wonder if anyone listens to Hunter ? A new album – with new writing, with the core 4, and guests could be ALL OF IT for everyone, and could satisfy so many things in a convergent solution, and erase mistakes made. But – this is the sad thing, not seeing forests thru trees, or even worse as it might appear – clear cutting to get at the “precious” ore beneath, ecosystem be damned. And BTW...my comment regarding politics was actually about EXTERNAL politics, but as Jerry said about war “it’s a waste of time to give it any energy at all”. Gosh what such confused lack of vision these days. What once was heralded as the psychedelic culture – innovative, outside the box , treading without fear of failure into uncharted waters, on so many levels, and running circles around a “straight world” and an ugly machine of an industry — all while having a total blast doing it —-BUT now (in comparrison) is it really just like a bunch of lazy stoners. Nary a thing such as culture to be sniffed out even by the most sensitive canine nose. Maybe it literrally is too !!! “I’ve got an empty cup – only Phil can love it” To the self respecting new-comer – this begs the question now (with such a gap, and a now lost history of what really made this band what it was): Were they even really “right” in the first place ??? —- and to illiustrate and colorize this question in some context, I refer you to the 1967 or ’68 Harry Reasoner opinion piece – which you can easily find on “My-boob”. A culture ?......yes, an EFFING culture !!! This culture —- it’s now been reduced to what ? It seems that it’s been reduced to the point where it cannot even lead by example for the 2nd, 3rd and (now I guess even) 4th generation “JAM BANDS” – who aimlessly and cluelessly “jam”, yet with a steel-stone-rigid rhtyhm section (BTW...not even talking about the post-J GD member bands themselves). — BUT—- There wasindeed high-musical philosophy and thus real-time art behind what the Grateful Dead was doing — none of these new bands get it, and never did – it is now just replicating something that they had poorly resarched and which so terribly pales in comparrison. Yet many flocked for these sad subsitutes, like junkies to methadone, and ALLOWED the non-culture to grow like blue/green mold on organic expired unrefrigerated pear juice that has no preservatives. And BTW....I was actually yelling intentionally in ALL CAPS in my prior post here. I frankly STILL should be. When you stop to think about it – it’s sort of akin to the collapse of Turtle Nation, and the shamelessly lost medicines. Go to a pow-wow these days and buy yourself a trinket, take it home to show your friends. Tell’em you met some “real indians”, but it still won’t make your small !#$% any bigger now will it ? “Oh, I hung it around my neck – and I still got the flu — they must’ve all been bogus worshipping those little dolls and sh#t.” I determined quite some time ago that i’ve better chances of finding something real somewhere else, and frankly NOW find it odd that I even ended up here on this forum, and now ranting about it, no less. —-*—- could be the old old medicine, that still works in some weird ways “when you look at it right” ?...hmmmm. Oh, how I would love to be surprised these days – but I shant hold my breath, nor keep my hands in my pockets. TO ME…. Robert Hunter holds the last of the flame – I think he is perhaps the only one who kept it pure and real all this time. Not to say he’s a perfect angel – no one is, and i’m worse. And this reminds me… Have you heard his lyrics on the song: BIG-SIX On the latest NRPS release entitled “Where I Come From” ??? I would love it if someone could please interpret those lyrics and see what you come up with ? I think he’s talking to you, all of YOU !!! —- afterall – this is still his medium to do such. ——-!——— IF you go listen to that – please report back here !!! —*— I dare you —*— I suggest (for the purpose of this post only) that when you listen to it —-*—— filter it thru Robert Hunter’s eyes as perhaps his editorial biography of the Grateful Dead’s vision, morals, the sad ethical decline, and the fans who continued to follow “where-ever you go-oh” —*— “if you know what I mean”. How many members in the Grateful Dead ? Were they BIG ? Tell me what YOU hear —- tell all of us HERE !!! It’s a good thing to listen to a wise-elder – it really really is. “Other” cultures in history held this central to their entire community structure, and survived quite well that way —- at least until other sh!t happened. Our culture worships money now —- a cash cow. But who among you is there to climb the steep mountain up up and away from the golden cash cow, and returnith with thyne almighty wisdom ? Why couldn’t the surviving members just ONCE support the wise old one – first philosophically, and – but- maybe even muscially ? —- he is the best fit IMO, with a little outside the box vision. The mere thought probably would make him throw-up a little in his throat tho. If I knew where Robert Hunter was and what he was up to these days – I and, there are surely some besides myself who would…. “pay the teller often well” ——*—— but I also know that —-*—- “he cannot be bought or sold”. His online journal was the last thing that kept me connected to what I consider “everything that was anything” – and that journal ran dry 2 years or more ago. Frankly, Billy sounds pretty DEAD-ON to me. I hope he stays in touch with wise ol’ Robert Hunter often, gosh I hope someone does ? Double-“E”-bi-gone (or at a particularly long strange siding?....hmmm)
Max the Warrior (and worrier)

moncler jackets December 13, 2010, 03:54:44

With the moncler jackets of winter weather it truly is time to begin preparing for winter weather sports. The moncler ski pants you decide on for outside sporting activities is essential for you staying comfortable and taking pleasure in what ever you’re doing. This is not a choice being used lightly. according to what outside sporting activities you decide on to consider in your moncler ski jacke will should reflect the disorders traditional from the moncler vest.
Winter jackets are essentially the most very important product of clothes and it truly is genuine very important you obtain the perfect sort of Moncler Jacket. The factor from the winter weather jacket would be to maintain out the moncler ski for sale in the exact same time it makes it possible for moisture to escape. lots of people today believe which they have to have a dense properly insulated coat. this can be buy moncler coats. recall when we had been children and had been constantly informed to put on a few moncler coats to remain warm, properly it truly is true. coating as much as supply moncler boots and have a very higher good quality winter weather jacket to maintain out the moncler ski and snow.

Garrett December 13, 2010, 15:32:47

Whether they are being creative or not.. they’re as passionate as ever and having fun, and you can tell that when they play. THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

CosmicC December 13, 2010, 19:48:18

I agree with him… I no longer go to the Furthur shows… just another band… I love Rat Dog , JGB with Melvin, 7 Walkers … it’s time to move on…things change that is life…can’t hold on the past…and in my opinion the band is just another band without Jerry…he was the core …he was the nucleus… don’t know all the politics of what’s going , but I know enough to know that is a ruthless business …it always has been…

FG December 18, 2010, 14:32:21

Disappointed in Bill’s take on Furthur. I just saw 7 Walkers and guess what? I walked out during an awful version of Eyes of the World. Bill is playing tiny venues with a bunch of decent New Orleans types, while Furthur’s filling MSG. Seems like a bitter man that has not been asked to join in the fun. So, Furthur’s doing nothing new? How about seven newly written songs, dittys like New Potato Caboose, Golden Road, Born Cross-Eyed, Cream Puff Wars not played by the Dead since the 60’s, well rehearsed vocals, outstanding jams, unpredictable setlists, and epic performances of full albums, the entire Terrapin Suite, Blues for Allah, etc.? John Kadlecik is an awesome guitarist and the reason all of this is possible. John Kadlecik, Jeff Chimenti, Joe Russo, and the backup singers have revitalized Phil and Bob. For Bill to discredit John is ridiculous. There’s no one better than John to carry the music forward. Thank goodness that Bill doesn’t attempt to dis Russo. His youth and energy allows Furthur to do what they’re doing with only one drummer. By the way, I haven’t missed drums and space yet at any of the 15 Furthur shows I’ve seen. Back to 7 Walkers. Please don’t play Dead music. There are at least 100 Dead cover bands out there better than this group at playing our old favorites. Stick to the unoriginal New Orleans stuff that everyone plays down there. If they polish it up a bit, 7 Walkers may get a chance to warm up Dr. John at Tipitina’s. Meanwhile, I couldn’t be happier that Furthur’s drawing 20,000 to the Garden. As far as Warren Haynes, he would be an improvement for Billy’s band over Papa Mali.

Jon December 18, 2010, 16:14:22

I just saw 7 Walkers, they were incredible. I bought they’re new CD too, all of the 11 are original & awesome. Definately the best post Jerry/GD collaboration to date! @ FG- those comments were taken out of context. You’re projecting anger where there was none. If you had bothered to read the article in it’s entirety, you wouldn’t be haten so much. You seem out of touch by comments & judgments. Bill was asked a question & he answered honestly. Bill is awesome. OBTW- That ok group of New Orleans musicians just happens to include the lengendary Funk bassiest George Porter, Jr. Glad he registered as “ok” on your radar. @FG …. maybe the darkness is in your heart.

Hana December 19, 2010, 11:05:56

@ FC- oh yeah Billy K is sooo jealous of not playing with Futhur at MSG- RRRRRIGHT. Um doubtful. LOL. Somehow, I dont think that’s case… He played with the REAL JERRY for 40 years!! Billy is being a true artist/ musician – keeping the bar high, creating new authenic music. Not trying to cash in on the legacy of Garcia sound…just sayin ;)

Hana December 19, 2010, 11:12:13

@ FC – PLEASE Russo > Billy K – NO WAY
Billy = DRUM GOD
Russo = MEH Keep in mind that Billy wrote the drums for most of the dead music. Russo is just playin a gig in a dead cover band.

Critter December 19, 2010, 12:44:37

Saw 7 walkers last night,awsome show! BK had the thunder rollin’ & the floor vibratin’,(somethin’ Joe Russo could never do on his best day!) an’ everybody was shakin’ their bones! Further needs some thunder, then that band would be complete,Russo can’t provide that, he beats them skins like a wimp!

Xavier December 19, 2010, 13:12:04

Stop with the ….who’s playing original music, ok? Billy K’s band, 7 Walkers, is mediocre at best and half the set is gobbled up in very ordinary versions of Dead tunes. And hello? Wasn’t Billy K playing China Cat in 1995 with the GD, which by then was 27 years old? No one, including him I’m sure, was saying it was tired and un-original then. Furthur insures the lasting legacy of the GD experience through it’s music…into the future. Phil and Bob are clearly re energized now that they can play the FULL repertoire, and they owe that to John’s passion and talent and love of the music. I suspect all roads lead to money as the source of Billy K’s sour grapes. No thinking professional musician could ever fault Furthur for tapping into John K’s talent as opposed to Warren Hayne’s Dicket Betts/ABB version of filling in Dead tunes. No one will replace the spontaneous and always thinking creativity of Jerry’s “speaking” through the guitar….but John is an amazing steward of the music. No one could replace Mozart at the piano, but countless virtuoso’s around the world attempt to carry on his brilliance everyday, and the world is …grateful…..to them for doing it.

Xavier December 19, 2010, 14:30:28

DSO = Best GD Cover Band Furthur= Best New GD Cover Band 7 Walkers = AWESOME FUN BAND

Xavier December 19, 2010, 14:35:41

Sour grapes make the finest wines. Thank you Bill for all the great music. I am grateful that you steered the soundtrack music of my life. jaaaah Rastafar I

GregAtlanta December 26, 2010, 15:39:22

It is great to see all the support for Furthur pouring out here. I doubt Bill is happy with the way his comments read in print, right? I think Furthur is great, sure, but maybe this kind of challenge will press them forward a bit. John could have a bit of an edge on occasion, and they can pack a few more surprises as a band. I do not agree with the overall assessment Bill offered, but he is pointing out where there is room for improvement.

pandora charms December 30, 2010, 01:58:54

Rachel January 3, 2011, 03:45:34

Let me just say this…Furthur is the closest thing to The Grateful Dead that I’ve been privileged to see. Been to 2 shows, and I’ll continue to hit a few shows in the future. As far as I see…“the boys” seem to have a great time together. 60-70 yr olds havin’ a good time. Isn’t that what it’s all about? Much love, and tour on to the “true” followers.

cosmic January 3, 2011, 19:32:15

I met Kruetzmann once and he was a dick to me. Maybe I caught him on a bad day, maybe not. Either way, first impressions…..dick!

BKs Mom January 4, 2011, 20:16:21

Hey Billy.
GFY you smug maroon!

paul January 4, 2011, 20:19:28

furthur is the closest ive heard to the real dead,jk plays and sounds like jerry.its nice to hear a girl backup that sounded great with the melodys,sorry donna.

Leslie January 4, 2011, 20:24:19

wow,, I am so disapponinted in Billy, I kinda lost respect for him with this,,,, I Used to see the Dead and I had been seeing Furthur off and on,,, TILL this past year,, I saw them 6 times in 2010 and plan to see them twice in March so far this year cuz they are back to being effing amazing and magical,,,, NO plans of seeing Billy or walkers,,,,

Jamie Rogers January 4, 2011, 21:03:19

Kreutzmann earned the right to say what he feels and be respected for it. He hasn’t missed a day of work since 1965, knows music like Newton knows gravity. He was there at the beginning and knows what it’s supposed to be like, very much entitled to his opinion.
I like both bands but 7 Walkers is crackling with power, reminds me of early Grateful Dead, . Respect your elders. .

Rachel Abbey January 4, 2011, 22:53:46

look, I’m not sayin’ ...I’m just sayin’.....

Concert Photos Magazine January 4, 2011, 23:36:24

We all have bad days and sometime ya forget what your saying in front of a reporter. Bill can’t be hating that much, it was nice to have the 4 original members of the Grateful Dead on tour together in 2003, 2004 and 2009. Everyone has a grumpy day sometime and some more than others.

eight2theunivers January 4, 2011, 23:38:13

I read the whole interview. Papa Mali is no John K or Warren. Warren was boring and couldn’t hit a danceable groove if his life depended on it(on the 09 Dead Tour). I saw 7 walkers open for Jorma and they were Ok. Furthur kicks ass…. I know for a fact that Billy still does Acid and lied in the interview about being on Psychedelics. Who cares if he doesn’t like Furthur or John K… I do.

eight2theunivers January 4, 2011, 23:39:39

One more item…It is Mickey that cant keep a beat not Billy. Mickey is going deaf and it shows in his playing.

Traci January 4, 2011, 23:44:45

the bobby show…wait for it..no wait for it…hold on…shit yeah he F@$ked it up again!

Tom January 5, 2011, 23:02:02

Billy has demonstrated bad manners at the very least. He was distastefully rude to John K. He (JK) is things we’ve never seen that seem familiar. He is the perfect fit for this era. I hope he stays a long time. Furthur is doing a lot of the old stuff in an entirely new way and JK is a huge part of that.

Jerrysknees January 6, 2011, 01:22:23

I’m with Billy K 100%!!!! Not a fan of DSO in the least….a cover band covering a cover band…..screw those hacks. Warren’s the mega. Jerry was the greatest. ’99 Phil & Friends was the best since Jerry

zachary true January 6, 2011, 01:50:58

Jeez Bill, he seems to for get that Bruce was in a dead cover band before he was in the Grateful Dead, and as far as I am concerned every incarnation of the band since Jer died was a cover band…Russo plays shit live that you never could and definately cannot now which is why you got pushed aside. 7 Walkers is great and you should be happy with that like we are happy with Furthur…John you are a great soloist and thank you for keeping the music fresh!!! Long live Rock and Roll!

Jesse B January 6, 2011, 02:47:15

Hey Bill can say what’s on his mind, but I feel the same way kind of. Imean yeah it was fun to see Furthur a few times, cool shows, but now they are starting to bore me a bit. I mean they are not the Grateful Dead, and hiring a Jerry clone can only hold my interest for so long. I think it’s time to move on, let Bobby get back to doing Ratdog and other projects, let Phil keep mixing things up with all his friends, at least it was more unpredictable and exciting. Furthur is making them money, bottom line, I mean Ratdog or Phil could never play MSG, right? So guys finish up this Furthur thing soon and get back to what you were doing making things interesting at least.

Capn Tripz January 7, 2011, 19:25:50

Billy always was miserable, why change now.

dave January 7, 2011, 22:33:02

re: Billy- some people are just a##holes. They can be charming and funny and great at what they do (art,music,etc) but they’re still a##holes. That’s why when I make it big I’m gonna try to keep my trap shut as much as possible. ;) I’ve been unimpressed by Furthur since their killer debut at the Fox in Oakland. NYE totally changed my opinion. A bit safe and rehearsed, but smooth and delicious as well. LOTS of FuN! Still, sometimes when John sings a JG tune I can’t help but miss . . . well, you know who. There ain’t no Band-Aid that’ll fix that hurt.

Rick Rank January 8, 2011, 20:10:15

Let the boys do what they got to do…it has to be fun for them or they wouldent do it right?

Rick Rank January 8, 2011, 20:10:55