Published: 2011/01/26

Atlantic City Weekly: Atlantic City to Host Jamband Festival this Summer

An article in the Atlantic City Weekly reports that an outside promoter plans to host a three-day concert at Atlantic City, NJ’s Bader Field this summer. The article speculates that the event will feature “some of the best bands in the ‘jam band’ genre.” Speculation in the comments section of the Weekly’s website seems to point in the direction of Dave Matthews Band as one of the bands who might play the event. The group recently confirmed that it will play four festival-style event this summer to celebrate its 20th Anniversary.

Comments

cheap Drogba Jersey June 1, 2014, 23:50:44

This can be accomplished with a special button back that has an eyelet to run a ponytail elastic through.
cheap Drogba Jersey http://drogba14jerseys.webnode.nl/

Scamn January 27, 2011, 11:38:05

Dave has an incredible voice and Is probably the most soulful male singer out there. That however is the only thing separating his band from being a Cookie cutter, mass feeding, frat boy fan party. Give us the real music.

rico January 27, 2011, 11:45:50

Its a bummer that an announcement like this brings out the worst in some people … Some of you sound worse than the Democrat & Republican embarrassment ….. :-/

Grateful Head January 27, 2011, 13:15:52

This has potential. While I don’t like DMB and hope they aren’t the headliner that wouldn’t be a definite reason to miss it. A good reason would be that you don’t like the other bands. I usually only check out 1 or 2 headliner sets anyway. The side stages at a festival are where it’s at. That’s where you find the good new stuff that people haven’t gotten a chance to listen to yet.

the voice of reason January 27, 2011, 13:35:15

y’all have way too much time on your hands

aspiclark January 27, 2011, 14:57:13

There are some great comments here. I wish Giddy didn’t break the search function so I could read through all of the responses. Speaking of responses, there was this one time, back when I was drinking that I came home backout drunk after a DMB show. Some kids were giving us all kinds of static, so I took their beers and pounded them all. I then proceeded to take a big, coiling crap on the hood of their mom’s BMW. What I learned is that when you mess with the bull, you can really introspect and find your true inner passion and sow the appleseed raven.

cnote January 27, 2011, 15:01:29

Dave is a great musician but that whole scene is full of gaybies. One of the best Phish encores I ever saw was the boys with Dave doing 3 Little Birds though.

alextoombs January 27, 2011, 16:03:12

scott eisenberg. i hope you are right.

Rick January 27, 2011, 17:32:53

Whoa, whoa, whoa! There’s enough room for many different styles of “jambands.” Why must you love and hate different ones? Just accept them all for what they’re worth. During my hardcore Dead phase (from 87-95) I paid little attention to any other band — to my detriment. INow I try to listen to all kinds/styles of jambands. It’s not just Furthur and Phish anymore….DMB is fun too.

Stuckontheisland January 27, 2011, 18:03:56

I’m not tryin to hate on anybody but I just don’t get Dave Mathews band. Doesn’t ring right in the ear for me. If the jams are coming to ac make it Furthur. You cant go wrong with Furthur EVER. 3/4 of the phish crowd are a bunch of fake ass holes(as much as I love phish) and Dave just doesn’t do it for me and most people I talk to, we don’t want the electric kids. So the way i see it your left with booking all the small acts that are great, or FURTHUR!

John doe January 27, 2011, 18:17:13

All you fighting about this shouldn’t even be listening to jam bands. That goes for all you young wooks almost dead heads that think you’re better than everyone else because you don’t eat meat, and anyone else that bitches over this bs. If you don’t like the band that’s playing YOU DONT HAVE TO GO.

Steve January 28, 2011, 08:46:45

Phish and DMB together? According to this infographic, maybe not such a good idea… http://bit.ly/h4ob2y

Rob January 28, 2011, 11:53:36

This is laughable. DMB is an epic band proved through 20 years of some the greatest music. You can’t argue with success you pot head retard Phish lovers. Maybe if you cleared the pot out of your head you would realize how amazing this band really is. Musically and lyrically Phish doesn’t even compare. (Really ,signing with a vacuum cleaner and I don’t think one song has any real meaning) Phish jams are boring and endless with no structure. I didn’t even know people still listened to Phish as I was to busy traveling to sold out stadiums to watch DMB and listening to Grammy nominated albums.

smilenow January 29, 2011, 10:25:48

dave is great is fans are not

Notlivingin Newjerseyanymore January 29, 2011, 12:56:01

Really if you read between the lines here — the message is that DMB might be ok — and Phish might be ok — but New Jersey sucks 24/7.

The Cosmic 1- AC January 30, 2011, 15:51:05

DMB is not an jamband. They are great amazing , talented atrists, but not a jamband. But all of these bands are just newer versions of The Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd (circa 1967), The Meters and Funkadelic. Dave is kinda mora along the lines of dylan. But no one would be bitching if Bobby D was headlining a “jamband” fest. Stop putting labels on stuff and just enjoy it. That being said, as long as THE FUNKY METERS or FUNKADELIC plays, it will be sweet.

Steve Pusey January 30, 2011, 16:45:13

Why are you guys freaking out? I live in Brig and am always bummed by the lack of Jam Bands that make this a home. Or atleast interesting. I mean sure we can drive to Philly or New York and down to Baltimore. But this would be a MAJOR music fest happening right in our backyards. I love PHish they are my favorite band, but Dave is AMAZING. I have seen them both and lemme tell you while Phish puts on a more energetic show Dave is a superior singer and there shows are so full of musical ability and love of craft that you should all really chill about being upset to see either of them. I promise it would only amount to the best concert of your lives and you would leave grateful for seeing two of the best “Jam bands” do what they do best in their own way with their own respective styles. So lets root for this fest to be a go.

Kimberly February 2, 2011, 11:48:07

RE yeah OK—ditto. Evryone else, just let us fake young hippies org from NJ just make up our own minds, okay? Org from NJ, now mom in PA, its gtr8 that NJ is getting some of that Jamband exposure and u dont have to travel too far to find it, jeez. 80s hair bands were okay in the 80s and a fun past to relive 20 yrs later but we all grow up and want our kids to experience real music.

Ava February 4, 2011, 14:54:58

Bring Robert Plant and the Band of Joy! They are amazing and the music rocks!

kllkk February 22, 2011, 20:35:46

Chanel as a world famous brand that also famous for the Chanel Sunglasses.

Roger Brandon January 27, 2011, 10:26:12

Both are great bands and have proved so over many years. Why bother arguing about who is better. There is no “better” and it doesn’t matter.

everyone in AC January 26, 2011, 18:15:59

DMB is NOT welcome here!!! WE want REAL jambands..I.E. FURTHUR or PHISH!! DONT WASTE our time with that BULLSHIT!! I will tell you now…IT WILL SUCK..GET A CLUE...THIS IS DEADHEAD COUNTRY!!! DONT THINK YOU KNOW CUZ YOU DONT!!!NO DMB!! NO DMB!!!Just look at furthurs spring tour…SOLDOUT!!! I MEAN COMPLETELY THE FUCK OUT!!! DOZENS OF VENUES!!!DMB cant wash their busses

VoiceofReason January 26, 2011, 18:21:22

Shut up.

some dude in AC January 26, 2011, 18:22:24

This guy does not represent all of AC – you are an idiot. DMB is the best jamband to ever live. throw in granola funk express and john browns body while we’re at it and we have 1 hell of a festi. please.

brendan January 26, 2011, 18:42:01

whoever just wrote above that dmb sucks…. ur a dumbass…. dmb has a much bigger following than you phish idiots…. phish fans are a bunch of hippies… DMB’s music has been some of the best music out there for the last 20 years… theres a reason why theyve earned the most money and sold the most concert tickets in the entire decade…. phish would be lucky to be involved in any musical event with dmb

Toombs January 26, 2011, 18:43:23

Ok buddy. Let’s relax. It’s gonna be a sick time. Peace and love bro. A real phish and further fan wouldn’t talk nasty shit like that.

Befuddled January 26, 2011, 18:53:14

I agree, DMB does indeed sucks. Just because he makes more money and has a bigger following that others doesn’t mean he has more talent. And for the douche that said Phish would be lucky to be involved in a musical event with DMB, they have been, some 15 years ago…when DMB OPENED for Phish! Betcha didn’t know that, huh?

Bruce January 26, 2011, 19:11:23

Trey has plated with DMB on several occasions don’t say anything about the two. DMB does have a big following, they appeal to a large demographic but that doesnt mean they’re the “best jam band ever.” Granted, I would prefer they dont headline a festival with a bunch of other bands but they’re from the East Coast so it’s possible. It’s a music festival though so if you don’t like a band don’t see them, there will be several other bands there.

annoyed January 26, 2011, 19:20:11

Everyone in ac is a complete asshole… if dmb put on a multi night show in your city it would bring in more tourists than your dirty fucking city has had in years… oh and furthur?!? Seriously?!? Just shut the fuck up.. u mean to tell me furthur would need to book a 2 night stand at citi field, in flushing, and sell out both nights?? That would never happen… 3 nights at the gorge.. 2 nights at wrigley field… u think furthur could sell that out??? Uhh noooo so shut the fuck up… learn to appreciate good music like dmb and be happy if they come to your run down broke ass city

pure comedy January 26, 2011, 19:40:58

Could be interesting. Man, it would be great if folks could learn how to spell before they go on rants and calling people ‘dumbass’ or ‘clueless’. Too funny!

thisclosetomurder January 26, 2011, 20:30:06

dude… do not even dare say dave and the boys aren’t worthy… i just wrote a goddamn 20 page research paper on why they have been so successful and i learned more about them than you ever will about phish… don’t get me wrong i enjoy me some phish but seriously… back off

Adam The Face January 26, 2011, 20:48:27

DMB is cool and all , but i think everyone wants jambands that aren’t as main stream. Disco Biscuits would be perfect . As would Lotus , the New Deal , and Umphrey’s McGee. And if they really want to spend money on DMB , they should bring Phish and Furthur instead. Like i said … I myself am a DMB fan . They have put on some of the best shows I have ever been to . But if Atlantic City wants to host a Jam Fest , I think they need to bring the real Jambands.

Deadhead Country January 26, 2011, 21:52:57

Typical Situation in these Typical times….There is a great article of Dave Matthews out there describing one of his greatest musical moments of opening for the Grateful Dead at Sam Boyd in Vegas…come out west brother…Deadhead country is still based off love…love for all of us stopping strangers just to shake their hand…in a Divided States of America we need more Deadheads to rise in their own community “jamband” and embrace diversity. I really like DMB fans that love Gov’t Mule!!

Peace keeper January 26, 2011, 23:01:57

Everyone needs to chill out! Why is there soo much hate here? Maybe we should all stop arguing with eachother and listen with an open ear to the music of DMB, Phish, and other great bands. There is no need to hate one band just because you prefer anothers music! Phish and DMB both have awesome collections of music and something for everyone! You would think there would be a bit more levelheadedness coming from people who listen to musicians who sing the praises of peace!

darling January 26, 2011, 23:17:52

who cares what any of us thinks about any one of these bands?
Everything will happen as it does… with or without you.
Does your opinion change or better anything?
Build the fires. Don’t put them out. I just wanna know… when?

Adam January 27, 2011, 03:41:25

Great, so a bunch of frat boys will be descending on what may otherwise be a decent jamband festival.

dmb sucks January 27, 2011, 05:20:51

dmb the greatest jamband of all time give it a rest you frat boy they suck and so do there fans. why dont you and allthe rest of your college buddies buy a 12 pack of natty and creep somewhere else, while phish enjoys another super sucsessful mega tour

Luke January 27, 2011, 08:08:06

Dmb are great musicians and for that I do have have respect but…they do suck indeed.

John January 27, 2011, 08:43:06

DMB is the best jamband to ever live.” I like DMB. Ive seen them now for 16 years. But the are not a jamband. Sorry. Just b/c once a show they extend 1 song out by an extra 3 mins doesnt make them a jamband. they have zero type II jamming and their type I jamming is weak at best. that said, they are a great band who i see every summer. they just arent a jam band.

Janks January 27, 2011, 09:08:25

This conversation is ridiculous and tired! What’s the average age on hear anyway? 16… Dave is very good personal friends with Trey. They have toured together and a long standing relationship. They were on the HORDE festival together. DMB opened three days in Las Vegas for the Dead in 94. Just because u little kids get a kick out of bashing each others Phan base. Doesn’t do anything for the fact that they join forces as pioneers of the “jam band” community. If it happens it will be epic! I know they will have a blast. So grow up….

Nokin January 27, 2011, 09:27:41

All this arguing, if it is a 3 day jamband fest there should be time for all of these bands mentioned above. Just think Phish could headline 1 night, DMB the next, maybe Further the next, with umphreys, moe., bisco,and many other jambands as supporting acts. Music could start at noon and go all night (including late night in a hanger) plenty of time for everyone to JAM!

scott eisenberg January 27, 2011, 09:57:04

H.O.R.D.E= 20 anniversaryNJ/John Popper….i have NO DOUBT this is whats going to happen. You hear it hear first.

Yeah Ok January 27, 2011, 10:07:39

Again, fake young “HIPPIES” spewing hate. I love Phish, I love a good jamband, but DMB does not suck. All your “heros” in the jamband scene happen to have admiration for DMB, Trey has stated he could never write a song as good as Dave. To the Uber Phish fan saying DMB opened up for Phish, they also opened up for the Grateful Dead and Neil Young, oh yeah and the Allman brothers band opened up for DMB, so have a lot of current jambands. So stop with your hate, your jamband icons would laugh at you and think you were a douche spewing that mindless hate.