Published: 2011/10/01

Chris Robinson Sits in with Furthur

Photo via Furthur’s Twitter

Chris Robinson sat in with Furthur at Morrison, CO’s Red Rocks last night. The Black Crowes singer—who was in Colorado for a performance with his Brotherhood in Aspen tonight—emerged at the start of the band’s second set to sing and play guitar on Bob Dylan’s “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” and Otis Redding’s “Hard to Handle,” the latter of which was also a hit for the Crowes. Robinson also sang on “Two Souls in Communion.” Furthur will return to Red Rocks tonight while Robinson is off to the Belly Up in Aspen.

Comments

Charles Brown October 1, 2011, 20:49:22

Furthur, destroying the legacy of the Grateful Dead one show at a time.

Zac October 1, 2011, 21:44:20

^Agreed.

dingo October 2, 2011, 01:31:32

C BROWN...YOU SPEAK TRUTH

Hendo October 2, 2011, 01:41:49

I bet all 3 of you strokes dig Keith Urban

Nick October 2, 2011, 08:46:43

Oh yeah, bringing up a super talented singer and a deadhead to sing a couple songs is ruining the legacy of GD. I think thats awesome. Chris is the man.

YOINKSQUAD October 2, 2011, 11:33:08

Chris is fun – in fact, I remember going to December 2005 Atlantic City House of Blues Phil & Friends with Chris as frontman, and he was great – if you think you’re going to see the Dead you’re not, but if you want to see their legacy of good music / good times, you will. If you do’nt like it, don’t go.

dk October 2, 2011, 12:33:59

Agreed Yoinksquad…Had a friend that was bummed that Furthur wasn’t the same as the good ol’ GD-That’s ‘cause they’re not! Awesome band, and good times w/ great fans-great vibes @ most shows I’ve been to. Saw Chris w/the band for the Haiti benefit and was blown away!

BK October 2, 2011, 13:55:22

Hey Chris please keep you negative lame ass comments to yourself. These guys are carrying on the legacy of the Grateful Dead in the best way they possibly could and I think Jerry is totally proud of the way they are keeping the music alive and fresh. Your attitude completely goes against everything that the Grateful Dead and their music stands for. Love live Furthur!!

BK October 2, 2011, 13:58:24

Hey Charles, that is

kevin p. October 2, 2011, 15:12:29

Kudos for Bobby and Phil to let Chris join them, and even cover a dead tune! Chris Robinson worships The Dead…must have been an awesome show!

timmy October 2, 2011, 20:02:30

I would have loved to see that show. I dig GD and The Crowes. Chris is an incredible vocalist and keeping the Dead’s music rolling through the years is what it’s all about. If you don’t know that, you don’t know the Dead.

tem October 3, 2011, 14:04:02

Booo to all the negative comments. Furthur has been a blast to see. It’s not the GD and should be viewed as such. I’m just happy that Bob and Phill still enjoy playing together and getting out on the road.

Chris Moore October 3, 2011, 16:16:20

I bet you guys with the negative comments haven’t even been to a Furthur concert. They put on a heck of a show and Friday night was just beautiful. They ripped through the first set and then the second set was cool with Robinson starting it out. Gorgeous night. I’m an old Dead Head and went with my senior-citizen Mom who was (very) loosely associated with the Dead “family” way back in the day, but there were some kids maybe 19 or 20 behind me in line to get in just dying with excitement to see their first show at Red Rocks and boy did Mother Nature and Furthur deliver! Weir and Lesh destroying the legacy of the Grateful Dead? I can’t see what you guys are talking about, but I suppose it’s theirs to destroy if they want…. Man, I think we’re all just blessed that the boys are still rollin’ down the line. Enjoy it while you can – they won’t be around forever! Chris

whom October 3, 2011, 16:31:56

those trashing furthur fail at music

snoopy October 3, 2011, 17:37:32

if you don’t like it don’t go….but for the ones of us who get it don’t diss our church…we don’t diss yours…if you understand what searching for the sound means then you get it….it’s the search not the results where the magic resides…..after 500+ shows I for one KNOW that what Furthur is trying to do (and suceeds quite often) is to push through the glass ceiling of of new musical territory….impressive considering the real estate available one those instruments after all these years….it’s new….the best jazz fusion rock happening right now anywhere!...except that it doesn’t always happen…but it’s always fun…and I always appreciate any artist trying…and these guys try as hard as any musician I have ever heard thanks boys…Just keep truckin’ the deal as we know it is simple….You play and we show up!....that’s been the deal from the beginning “we don’t know how we do what we do…we just know when we are doing it” for all you negative critics….get a life….or inquiry into the self in order to wake up in the world….bcause you don’t get it JOY

Fred Germaine October 4, 2011, 01:22:14

Joy,
Well said. To charles & the so called know it alls.
You know nothing of The Dead Legacy~my condolences. I’ve been going since ’72, more room for us. enjoy your next Journey show.
Peace out. Don’t go away mad ~ just go away.
Red Rocks was AWESOME!
JERRY WOULD LOVE THIS BAND.
bkind-fg2all

Dave October 4, 2011, 14:19:21

I was at Friday and Sunday at Red Rocks and am blown away by the music Furthur is putting out. They are progressing into some seriously intense and dynamic jams (Shakedown and Franklins were insane). So many highlights for me from the 2 nights. I’ve seen furthur 4 times in the last year and cannot believe Heads that have seen it would have anything negative to say. Yeah, Jerry died 16 years ago. You’re right, he’s not there anymore. But Phil and Bobby are coming unleashed and it is awesome to see those boys continue to push themselves. I can’t stop smiling about these shows.

GratefulDem October 4, 2011, 16:22:05

I was at an Allman Bros show a couple of years ago. 2 old timers were lamenting the line-up, saying HEY! Who are those guys. I proceeded to tell them about Derek and Warren and Oteil. All world class musicians. In my opinion, as good as anyone who ever played in the band. They didn’t understand and guzzled a few more drafts and headed back to thier campsite to listen to some Hank Jr. Being older than them, I felt sorry for thier lack of knowledge. Music is a moving target getting better all the time. Embrace it!

Denise October 5, 2011, 19:15:48

My dream come true…Oh my I bet it was a great party! What a surprise I be that was!