Published: 2011/12/13

Matisyahu: Chassidic Reggae Superstar No More

In a Twitter post this morning, Matisyahu announced to his 1.3 million followers via several iPhone photos that he has shaved off his signature beard.

In the post, the Hasidic rapper quotes his song “Thunder,” writing “At the break of day I look for you at sunrise / When the tide comes in I lose my disguise.” And then, in a statement on his website message Matisyahu writes:

No more Chassidic reggae superstar. Sorry folks, all you get is me… no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life. At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules—lots of them—or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission

Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth. And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair.

Comments

TCinNYC December 13, 2011, 15:41:23

Ok Bobby Weir, your next!! Clean it up for the holiday’s, it’s way over due!!

Lee Harless December 13, 2011, 16:34:02

I think he should do a Fu-Man-Chu and some sideburns. ..with afro-puffs on a shaved head. He’d really make a statement to the world then! I GOT TO BE ME!

Jaik December 13, 2011, 16:34:11

Matisyahu is wildly talented, and he’s showing great bravery to be true to himself and everyone else, when it is much safer to stick with the “schtick” that made him famous. Congrats on maturing to a new point in life beyond religious fear and self-denial. Shalom Aleichem

thisdudeisaFAGGOT December 13, 2011, 17:02:51

lol at this mumbling faggot

MarkhusD December 14, 2011, 02:00:41

Well said Jaikie… (mvd) have a great TNY gig, wish I could make it, but can’t . Piece

dankerator December 14, 2011, 11:28:19

Does this mean the “Schtick” is over! What a joke! I am Jew(ish) and i have seen him perform once it was o.k. until i thought i was at synagogue when he was preachn to me! I don’t need to go to a nite club and be preached at do it subliminally (hope i spelt it correct) in your lame raps not bluntly in my face!!! It’s like my daddy says everyone has a gimmick and i think the gimmick is up!!!