Published: 2011/12/30

Furthur’s Double "Slipknot!"

Last evening, Furthur performed the first of three shows at San Francisco’s Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. The night opened with a jam which led into “Help on the Way” and “Slipknot!” but then—rather than continuing on into “Franklin’s Tower”—the band took a detour that carried the music into “Estimated Prophet” and “Brown Eyed Women.” Then group returned to the sequence at the close of set two as “Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad” gave way to “Slipknot!” once again and then finally “Franklin’s Tower.” Another highlight came a bit earlier in the second set during a passage that featured “China Cat Sunflower,” “Scarlet Begonias,” “Truckin” and “New Speedway Boogie.”

The complete setlist appears below, drawn from our Box Scores section.

Furthur
Bill Graham Civic Auditorium San Francisco, CA

Set I: Jam > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Estimated Prophet > Brown Eyed Women, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, Any Road, Weather Report Suite > Let it Grow

Set II: Box of Rain, Big Bad Blues, China Cat Sunflower > Scarlet Begonias > Truckin > New Speedway Boogie, Unbroken Chain > Standing on the Moon, Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower

E:: Baby Blue

Source: Otherones.net

Comments

PM December 30, 2011, 11:02:24

Jerrys rolling in his grave with this Further crap.
How bout something new?

UltimatelywhogivesaF#cK December 30, 2011, 11:10:07

Jerry dosent have a grave but i agree…same OLD shit..It wasn’t 2 slipknots…it was the begining then the end ..they did it before,philly or best buy or sumpin..wow..How bout that Brother ESAU? Big Boy Pete?Some jerryband tunes,BOBBY Solo stuff…DRUMS and SPACE??PLEASEEEE!!!! S P A C E!!!!!!!!!!

Paul December 30, 2011, 11:12:56

That’s a nice tone from John’s guitar!

My 2 cents December 30, 2011, 11:23:25

They sound as if they are trying to drive this song deep into the ground.

JP76 December 30, 2011, 12:27:07

It must be really miserable to be one of those people who can’t enjoy GD music w/out Jerry. Luckily I’m not one of them. Furthur has gotten consistently better as they’ve played together, and they’ve brought in a lot of new and older, more obscure songs. And thank god they don’t do Space…

JDSept December 30, 2011, 13:21:47

Jerry has left us. Get use to it. This band should be judged on its own merits, which I think is pretty good. If they didn’t do DEAD stuff, the out cry then. The songs are only gateways to the jams within the frameworks of the tunes. No different then when Jerry was here. This band is not in competition with The Grateful Dead no more then the post Pig Dead was in competition with what went before it.

urbs December 30, 2011, 15:56:51

Shame that this band started out so clunky and turned off many. They certainly have matured. Phil and Russo are one of the best rhythm sections EVER. Further is totally Phil’s band, No doubt they are coveriing very familiar ground often but make the old very fresh. Never thought I’d like them as much as I do >even though Bobby singing Jerry songs is a mistake.

kyle space sucks December 30, 2011, 15:59:31

hahaha you want to hear space grow up dbag

Cloudy Knight December 30, 2011, 16:20:10

Furthur is a nostalgia act, period. Like the Monkees or the Beach Boys. Everybody keeps talking about how they keep improving, but they have miles to go before they’re as good as Ratdog, and Ratdog sucks. Bring back Phil & Friends!

jsm December 30, 2011, 16:39:45

all of the complainers, must not have been able to see the grateful dead and the jealousy is unmerited and blatant…go watch yer Lotus and Disco Biscuits….and let those who appreciate and enjoy the good times; while you guys sweat it out in dirty ol sleeping bags

tpeff December 30, 2011, 17:18:30

I for one, love these songs. Play and sing some of them on my get-box. To have Bobby and Phil kicking them around still is pure pleasure… on the bus since ’73

TedHead December 30, 2011, 20:24:33

furthur is playing great…the grateful dead played great…phil and friends played great….ratdog played great…this is all good…no need to complain among the heads…the music never stopped…now quit yer bitchin’

Jeff December 30, 2011, 20:27:50

Don’t the whiners have some other band to experience than us lucky people that get it? Just be glad you hear Phil play that BASS and Bobby be Bobby. Otherwise, go away and let us, “Listen to the music play.” Quit the negative vibe!

Jensen Lee December 30, 2011, 21:55:17

A great opportunity to hear one of the Dead’s best loved tracks, “Box of Rain,” bassist Phil Lesh’s song to his ailing father. Lyricist Bob Hunter says the song’s title means “the world we live on.” On Rockaeology at http://bit.ly/j20zF4 Jerry Garcia describes how Hunter pairs his writing with the band’s music. Hunter says, “I’m able to translate peoples’ scat. I hear English in it, almost as though I write down what I hear underneath that.”

kramer December 30, 2011, 22:02:21

I really dont understand why people are always complaining about Furthur. I agree Jerry is gone and that is too bad but this band is not about Jerry. its about music, good times and fun. I think its great that Bobby and Phil are doing this music still. They dont have to do this.
For all you who go on here to bitch you really need to find a hobby, maybe get out and do something. I am so tired of reading negative reviews. Its verysimple folks – If you dont like it then stay the hell home and stop whining like a three year old kid. I have saw a few Furthur shows and some were awesome an some not so good- but boy did I have fun. I love the vibe, family and good people.

Ripple December 31, 2011, 06:43:23

Grateful Dead forever and ever. Always relevant!

Michael Johnson December 31, 2011, 11:43:39

Having been off the scene for about five years ,attended the Thursday showand I would like to make these observations;firstly the staff at the venue were unfailingly gracious,the fans friendly and polite to one another,technically lights and sound well done,musically old things presented freshly and newer material very exciting .I will be at more shows,remember the past is past ,keep moving forward ,hope that as a community that future Furthur shows will be as enjoyable as what I saw andexperienced!

DS December 31, 2011, 22:53:21

Message to band: Stop the duo singing style, one or the other, and drop the back up vocals, unnecessary. & Yes – Phil & Friends Rocked!

nicholas spino January 1, 2012, 10:38:56

all u people who have anything to complain about concerning this band are completely out of your mind and should just stop coming to see them so that people like us WHO GET IT and always did can get better seats. peace and love

Carl January 2, 2012, 13:29:04

I enjoyed the shows. They play a lot of music we did not get to see the Dead play. Check out second set Friday night, that was some great music. Furthur is one of the best bands playing at this time….don’t compare, just enjoy.

Kevin January 2, 2012, 20:08:09

Music is very subjective and I’m not going to argue with someone’s opinion especially when it’s based on past experiences or expectations they may have. The Dead are history but for us heads it’s a rich history and what Phil and Bobby AND the rest of Furthur are doing are truley taking the frameworks of old songs, incl. new ones, harmonious harmonies, mixing up setlists and going to that special place in new ways that are just as relevant, in the pocket impov. as anyone could want, at least for those that get it. Like Jerry said, “not everyone likes black licorice, but those that do REALLY like black licorice.” , or something to that effect. Great, Great NYE run. Thank you Furthur. Space might be back for 2012, there were brief explorations this last run for the gentlemen above if he cares to listen.

Loving what is January 3, 2012, 00:13:37

For my part, the 29th was a gift – like so many of us, the Music of the dead defined or certainly shaped our lives – been out of the seen for a long time – since before Jerry died really – and those guys opened my heart again – solid, clear, rich and on it from note one…seeIng that music played with such passion and skill is all I could as from them at this point – further statements seem vein

OTB77 January 3, 2012, 18:30:22

I’ve been on the bus since ’77 – Englishtown Raceway in NJ to be exact (great show on Dick’s Picks Vol. 15) and saw the Dead in their 2nd prime until ’86 – probably saw close to 50 shows overall. And to be fair – some were awesome and some of them absolute rubbish. Jerry could be an absolutely awesome guitarist – harmonically acrobatic and melodically brilliant – but he could also be completely self-indulgent, wandering, and scattered. On a great night the vocals were spot on – harmonies tight and lyrics remembered – on a bad night they sounded like sick cows. In short – they were human and beset with a host of issues that many touring rock bands have to deal with (fatigue, bad acoustics, ass holes in the audience and evil substances (that ultimately killed Jerry). By the late ’80s they stopped doing their really interesting songs – St. Stephan, Slipknot, Help on the Way, King Solomon’s marbles, Unbroken Chain, the 11, Terrapin, and so many more, because Jerry simply couldn’t play them anymore. Listen to any of the ’90s recordings and they’re largely going through the motions – lot’s of Dylan covers and the usual Scarlet Begonias, Fire on the Mountain, Drums, space Eyes of The World, Johnny B Goode and done. I saw the Dead out of nostalgia and it just wasn’t right. As good as Warren is as guitarist he was never right for the Dead – great for the Allmans and GM, but not the Dead. I first caught Furthur on Phil’s 70th Bday show and it was a revelation. Not only was Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes singing leads on many of the songs, but the backing vocals were stellar and the band played with such intensity it was amazing! I had not seen the Dead play like that since the late 70’s early ’80s. And to many posters point – they’ve only gotten better. I was concerned when I head JohnK was playing – I thought great – Deadmania is coming – but I was wrong – John is a superb guitarist who is clearly inspired by Jerry but not imitating him. His work compliments Bob and Phil in a way that I’d not heard since Jerry was well, Jerry. I’ve seen them several times since and was at the show on the 29th- it was the best one yet. Bob and Phil take their legacy and supercharge it. Fantastic. For those that insist on GD purity – there is no such thing. They were a band that made great music and sometimes made crap. Furthur continues the legacy in a respectful, creative, and solidly executed way – I say – Put on your love light and keep it shining! Jerry would be happy….

Cloudy Knight January 4, 2012, 21:52:02

We complain because every show with Furthur is one less show of Phil & Friends. I’d rather see P&F than Furthur featuring the anchor Bob Weir. It’s that simple. Furthur just ain’t that good. Virtually every lineup of Phil & Friends is superior, and the set lists are all made by Jill, so that’s a wash. I’d go to every Beacon show if it were Phil & Friends. I MAY go to one or two Furthur shows for old time’s sake, because it’s a nostalgia act.

DS January 5, 2012, 00:17:23

It boils down to one thing; Liking the 21st century Bob or not? Right
I loved Bob back in the day when Jer had his back and truly lead the band but today, not so sure, For me Bob just doesn’t do it for me, simple as that. If you love Bob then sure you will love this band.

mary prankster January 5, 2012, 03:29:57

Beg to differ. Furthur is doing an amazing job of, well, furthuring the music, the scene & the community. Interesting to see that no one engaging in the recent Bobby-bashing (thought that went out with pink Izod shirts) mentions the Lost Sailor-Saint-Deal to close the first set of 12-30-11. The reality is that Jerry is still dead & likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. The remainder of the band are gonna do what works for them, individually or collectively. We’re amazingly lucky to have this second lease on life. P&F in it’s various incarnations were always good & interesting, but this band has hit a musical stride that really pays tribute to the music while taking it to furthur levels. if you don’t like it, don’t go; there willl be more tickets for the rest of us. I just don’t see the point of these hyper-critical posts. If you know so much about how the tunes are supposed to be played, how come you’re not up on stage doin’ it your way? Ya know, there’s really nothing wrong with just enjoying the ride.

Josh January 5, 2012, 14:44:43

This band bores the shit out of me. That’s not negativity, it’s the truth. If you like ‘em, God bless you, go see ‘em and enjoy. I thought the classic PLQ was magical, the best version of the Dead since at least 1980. This band just sounds like a Dead cover band to me; they don’t get me where I ant to go. I’d think if Phil wanted to be in a Dead cover band, he could find someone better to cover the Weir parts…

JP76 January 5, 2012, 23:59:47

Cloudy Knight, Josh, and other haters: You guys sound like the angry losers on sports talk radio. The vast majority of us who have seen Furthur think it’s a great band, and you guys haven’t given any specific critique of the band (calling it a “nostalgia act,” or “boring,” isn’t really saying anything at all – were the Dead a “nostalgia act” because they played most of their songs for 20 or 30 years? Of course not, which is why we’re all attracted to the music). If you’re still so emotionally attached to Jerry 16+ years after his passing that you can’t bear the thought of Phil and Bobby hiring a guitarist whose sound is clearly inspired by Jerry (despite the fact that you’ve apparently gone to see him play, knowing what he brings to the table, probably more than once), then you probably need to seek the help of some sort of mental health specialist. And for God’s sake, as others have said, stay away from the shows so the rest of us can get a ticket!

DH77 January 6, 2012, 14:27:56

I respect Furthur and enjoy going to their shows but one thing has to stop.. PHIL SINGING JERRY’S SONGS/PARTS OF SONGS. Dark Star, Jack Straw, St Stephen, Eyes of the World, etc.. Let John K sing!!!

nichobert January 6, 2012, 14:37:12

I just saw my lotus and my disco biscuits how do i get out of this dirty ol sleeping bag? i dont know how i got here. i thought jerry was in here,

DS January 7, 2012, 00:04:01

it’s funny i guess, I’m the opposite of DH’s typeof taste and many like him. I’d like PHIL TO SING EVERYTHING – I love him, his voice, his energy and his beautiful voice. Interesting….I’m happy to know I’m of the few

MikeG January 10, 2012, 08:20:26

I saw Furthur a couple of times, Mann in Philly & Boardwalk Hall in AC & thought they played GREAT both times. My only negative comment is to TURN IT UP!!! I can hardly hear John’s guitar, as if Bobby & Phil have told their younger sibling to keep it low, we’re the main attraction. I’d love to see if the acoustics & size of the Beacon can change my mind…we’ll see…

J January 10, 2012, 12:26:40

I just dont understand why you bring in a Jerry doppelganger and then have bobby sing some of the jerry tunes standing right next to him doing his classic bobby playig with time signatures and adding extra bars…

Crunchy Custie January 10, 2012, 13:37:50

duuuuuuuuuuudes did you heady heads scope the crunchiness in that watchtower jam? oh man duuuude i saw jerry in the ceiling, man! he was smiling, eating pizza and getting fatter by the minute, and that 10-strip i ate had nothing to do with it. grow the hell up guys. just because you’ve seen the grateful dead 31415 times doesn’t mean the 25-year-old down the road has. maybe he or she wants to enjoy it without all of this insane babble. jesus guys, you’re becoming more critical than the phish crowd. believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.